• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Tokyo

VmezkTa.jpg

Today we're taking a closer look at the capital of Japan - Tokyo. With nearly 40,000,000 people in its metropolitan area, it's not only one of the world's most populated areas but also a vital global city with important business and finance sectors. With a mix of new and old architecture, and plenty of iconic buildings - there's lots to see and explore in this famed city.

We'll be arriving to the city's center via bullet train - where the scenic landscape of rural Japan can be enjoyed traveling at speeds of nearly 200 mph.

uHRYZkK.jpg

We finally arrive in Tokyo - getting off at Tokyo Station, one of the country's busiest railway stations. It's a mix of new and old here in the city's Marunouchi district - sleek, modern office buildings can be found right next door to the great canals of the city's imperial palace.

uV6YFXn.jpg

Today, the grounds near Marunouchi house the city's grand imperial palace - but once were home to the majestic Edo Castle. Built in 1457, the castle was home to the powerful Tokugawa shoguns for centuries, but was eventually destroyed by fire a number of times and never rebuilt. Only moats and ruins of the original structure survive to this day.

CLiR50r.jpg

Our journey through modern Tokyo resumes with a visit to the famed Shibuya Crossing - often said to be the world's busiest intersection.

php3Kuu.jpg

Ginza is another one of the city's most iconic districts - this popular upscale shopping area of Tokyo is well known for its elegance and luxury.

yEhBafc.jpg

The iconic bright orange and white Tokyo Tower was opened in 1958 and quickly became one of the country's most prominent landmarks.

s0lCB52.jpg

A view of the 2,080 foot tall Tokyo Skytree - opening in 2012, it's the country's tallest structure and is particularly striking at nighttime.

TRoCKdr.jpg

We'll conclude our trip with a look at Shinjuku from above - one of Japan's most impressive skylines and leading business districts.

E41RqtQ.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Previous Update: "1970s New York City"

fMb0eay.jpg

Thanks to @art128, @alejolopez13, @matias93, @CorinaMarie, @Odainsaker, @Dead_End, @SS3K, @Handyman, @bobolee, @Jasoncw, @redfox85, @mike_oxlong, @Dgmc2013, @Huggy-Bear, @RobertLM78, @The British Sausage, @Don_Pato, @kingofsimcity, @VALASatoshi, @nycsc4, @rivit, @Krasner, @bladeberkman, @nRVOUS, @JP Schriefer, @Prophet42, @mrsmartman, @Duco, @ESP15, @Elenphor, @Diego Del Llano, @Toby Ferrian, @simmaster07, @jakis, @simmytu, @europe.au, @pedroac20c, @AlexandrosB13, @airman15, @PHBSD, @Haljackey, @CGMozart118, @Wallibuk, @Manuel-ito, @Simmer2, @raynev1, @Tyberius06, @Jackspital, @eufl, @TekindusT, @tariely, @Bastet69008, @Hanson784, @Chien Chen, @dabadon5, @Mascalzone, & @Josh6 for all the likes and comments!

18 Comments

Recommended Comments

I went to google earth to search the Shanghai harbor and saw the rural land north of the city.....man, its huge!

That intersection, Shibuya crossing, can I have seen that before in another picture, or similar?

Great pictures!

Share this comment

@tonyr Thank you very much for the comment! *:)

@TekindusT *:thumb:

@Duco Thanks for the nice words! It looks similar because I actually had a close up of that crossing in my Japan update earlier in the year, but I've expanded on it some more since then as well as other parts of the city.

Share this comment

Excellent ! I remember doing the shibuya crossing ... and then  getting lost and somehow came across my motel in shinjuku. Talk about luck !

Share this comment

Wow it's really beautiful! In the last couple of days a lot of Tokyo themed stuff came into my way any form. Videos, organizing my back-up folders I ran into APTX Shibuya station and other buildings, like the Tokyo Central... Now you shared these beautiful pictures.

Thanks for sharing them! :)

- Tyberius

Share this comment

@mike_oxlong Thank you very much for the comment! There actually weren't that many custom BATs here compared to some other of my updates - there were enough decent Tokyo BATs out there and I was also able to re purpose a number of similar BATs as well for some of the scenes. The Skytree and a few of the smaller Shinjuku buildings though I got off 3d warehouse - so I probably wouldn't be able to share stuff I didn't make unfortunately.

@Bastet69008 Gotta love the Pikachu gif *:thumb:

@RobertLM78 Thanks for the nice words! *:)

@redfox85 Thanks for the comment! I'd love to visit Shibuya one day - but I'd be a bit scared of getting lost in those huge crowds. I'd have to hope for some of the same luck you had *:P

@Tyberius06 Thank you very much for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the update! *:)

Share this comment

Noice!

Some of the very long buildings really interest me as I always like to look out for long, mid-rise buildings.

For instance in picture 2, there appears to be three very long buildings in the bottom right, including one which looks to be more than 12 tiles long!

While in picture 8, the last picture, there are appears to be another very long building in the top left of the picture.

Please can tell me which sites you found the buildings and, if possible giving how Japanese SC4 sites are always a labyrinth, could you provide any links? Thanks.

Share this comment

@korver Ah, I recognized the Shinjuku Station at the top, but just after I sent my previous post. I would be curious how the surroundings of the Station look like in your recreation. In RL the buildings above the rail tracks quite interesting at the other side of the station.

Share this comment

@Tyberius06 I've done a little bit of work in the area around the station but it's still a WIP. The roads start to get really difficult in that area though so it might take a while. It is a really interesting area though as you mentioned so it might make it into an entry later on *;)

Share this comment

That Tokyo Skytree model--particularly with the night lighting!--is beautiful... is that a BAT you found somewhere or is that a custom creation you had to make for this?

Share this comment