• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Shanghai

CiooPYR.jpg

With a population of nearly 25 million, Shanghai is one of China's largest cities and an important international business and financial center. From small market town in the 1200s, prosperous colonial port city in the 1800s, and finally a rising global economic hub in the present day - it's a city with an impressive history and a bright future. Today we'll be taking a look at a number of the city's most iconic landmarks and districts.

With a number of vital rivers crossing the city - the waterfront has always played an important role in Shanghai's past and present. The Bund is where we'll begin our tour of Shanghai - this waterfront district along Zhongshan Road runs alongside the Huangpu River and contains many of city's most historic buildings - it was truly quite the spectacle during it's heyday in the early 1900s.

eC6lrBo.jpg

Overlooking the northern end of The Bund is the iconic Broadway Mansions - since it's completion in 1934, this timeless Art Deco hotel has served as a symbol of Shanghai.

WH9RDg5.jpg

Since the early 1900s, Nanjing Road has been the city's main shopping street and is constantly buzzing with tourists and locals, day or night.

1OkWFpg.jpg

The striking design of Shanghai Stadium is one of the city's most unique sights - it's been the home of Shanghai SIPG Football Club since it's opening in 1999 and has hosted a number of important events as well.

UP88ydw.jpg

Located in the heart of Shanghai's shopping district in Puxi, the distinctive Tomorrow Square tower rises 934 feet and is one of the city's tallest buildings.

WKk5OMd.jpg

A view of Shanghai's Pudong district and CBD overlooking the Huangpu River - with the centerpiece being the stunning 2,073 foot tall Shanghai Tower. Completed in 2014, it's currently the world's second tallest building.

gvtdQhu.jpg

A final of view of Shanghai's skyline at night, featuring many of the city's most impressive buildings such as the Shanghai World Financial Center, Jin Mao Tower, Bank of China Shanghai, and the futuristic Pearl Oriental TV Tower.

mCEBe6K.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Previous Update: "Pacific Northwest"

X1aF8Q8.jpg

Thanks to @Toby Ferrian, @CorinaMarie, @The British Sausage, @Manuel-ito, @alejolopez13, @Handyman, @RobertLM78, @Odainsaker, @Bastet69008, @bobolee, @art128, @PaulSawyer, @jakis, @Jackspital, @KOSMO*, @Dgmc2013, @Simmer2, @bladeberkman, @VALASatoshi, @redfox85, @JP Schriefer, @Whte_rbt, @PHBSD, @matias93, @MAW, @Androgeos, @kingofsimcity, @mrsmartman, @Fantozzi, @mike_oxlong, @raynev1, @Elenphor, @Eclipticalstorm, @mayor11, @Huggy-Bear, @9gruntsand1hammer, @aegian, @nos.17, @dabadon5, @EvansRE4, & @tonyr for all the likes/comments!

22 Comments

Recommended Comments

Thanks for the comment @RobertLM78! *:)

Finding the right BATs is always one of the most time consuming parts of any update - especially for Shanghai as due to the various architectural styles. In addition to all the Shanghai specific buildings (including some custom BATs) I ended up using a bunch of stuff mainly from dmscopio, reddonquixote, SimCity China, various Japanese sites, and even some by Gascooker to pull off the look.

Share this comment

Nice touch saving the most well-known landmark (the Oriental Pearl Tower) for the very end of the update!

BTW, love the historic pics you show at the beginning of the Melbourne and Shanghai updates, keep them up! *:thumb:

Share this comment

Thank you very much for the comment @TekindusT!

Glad you enjoyed the historical pictures - it's pretty fun to take a look back in time and I plan on sprinkling a few more in a couple of my upcoming updates. I also have a couple ideas for a few more entirely historical updates, so stay tuned *;)

Share this comment

Hello, very nice job. It's really impressive.*:thumb:

Just one question what is the name of your shopping center on the last picture next to the Shangai Tower ?? because i try to find the building but without succes.

Share this comment

Appreciate the nice words @lolo69ol01! *:)

I used a number of shopping center type buildings so I can't be 100% certain which one you're after, but I think it might be one of the following:

Share this comment

Wow. Amazing as ever, this must take so much time and patience, patience that I don't have! Very nice work, hope to see some more amazing CJ's to blow my mind. *:D

Share this comment

5 hours ago, korver said:

Appreciate the nice words @lolo69ol01! *:)

I used a number of shopping center type buildings so I can't be 100% certain which one you're after, but I think it might be one of the following:

Thanks a lot :)

Share this comment

(late in to the fray, was away from home) I think OMG has been overdone (last mosaic) so I will refrain. I was wondering how you found the buildings and that question was answered. And yes, the historical views are great. Must go and see the Pacific NorthWest, now...

Share this comment

@Krasner Appreciate the kind words, glad you enjoyed The Bund! *:)

@tariely Thanks for the nice words, glad you enjoyed the update! Glad that my answer earlier was able to help you out as well *:thumb:

@don11327 Thank you very much for the comment! *:)

Share this comment

@Androgeos Thanks for the comment *:)

It's an extremely reflective BAT - it's made by the great Cockatoo and you can get it here:

Share this comment