• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Scenes From Hong Kong

3XwRwAN.jpg

With a population of nearly 8 million, one of the world's most recognizable skylines, and a thriving business sector - Hong Kong is one of the world's most important global cities. Today, we'll be taking another look at this city's famous skyline and much more as we further explore Hong Kong Island, the mainland, and more.

We'll begin with another look into the past - back at the turn of the century, Hong Kong was still was still growing British colonial establishment. The city's port along Victoria Harbour continued to grow and grow throughout the years and was often crowded with junks, sampans, and other maritime vessels.

vdZRdWH.jpg

Opening in 1998, Hong Kong International Airport, or Chek Lap Kok is the city's main airport and is located on reclaimed land outside Lantau Island in the western portion of the city. The distinctive Y-shaped terminal is said to resemble an airplane in flight.

YY60MlF.jpg

Just outside the airport is where you'll find Seaview Crescent and Tung Chung Crescent - two of the city's most impressive residential high rises.

KmT0ETd.jpg

A rainy day in the city's Wan Chai District - home to the sleek Central Plaza.

tb2si7r.jpg

A late night in central Hong Kong with a view of The Center.

1hgFhDq.jpg

The rain picks back up again as we visit the the city's Admiralty District - which features many of the city's most iconic skyscrapers like the Bank of China Tower, Lippo Centre, and the Pacific Place complex.

niRthSJ.jpg

A view of Hong Kong's stunning Union Square and the neighboring New Yau Ma Tei Typhoon Shelter at night. Rising 1,538 feet tall, the towering International Commerce Centre is the centerpiece of the complex and the city's tallest building.

W4rDLew.jpg

Our visit concludes with one last overview of Hong Kong's spectacular skyline and Victoria Harbour at sunset.

HKOverview.png.48534eda92ead1f28ce8642bde2dc4e0.png

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Previous Update: "Shanghai"

CiooPYR.jpg

Thanks to @VALASatoshi, @CorinaMarie, @RobertLM78, @JP Schriefer, @matias93, @Odainsaker, @bladeberkman, @alejolopez13, @weixc812, @SimRico, @bobolee, @9gruntsand1hammer, @PaulSawyer, @Krasner, @jakis, @Jackspital, @Handyman, @Toby Ferrian, @mike_oxlong, @Dgmc2013, @f3cs, @Duco, @redfox85, @Oerk, @Androgeos, @aegian, @TekindusT, @lolo69ol01, @KOSMO*, @tariely, & @don11327 for all the likes/comments!

21 Comments

Recommended Comments

Ooooh, this tickles my admiration of urban landscapes over and over again. As usual, extremely well-detailed and crafted to top quality. Good work all round! *;)

Share this comment

Just... wow. I'm constantly in awe of the quality of your work.

Would love to see more of the airport - any chance of a follow up on the transition from Kai Tak to Chek Lap Kok?

Share this comment

Thanks for the nice words @mike_oxlong!

The rest of the airport is still very much a work in progress and there's still a number of custom BATs that I need to make in order to at least get it presentation ready - but it is on my mile-long to do list *;)

Share this comment

Got a cousin and his wife who used to live there.... not sure where they are now, somewhere on the mainland I think. 

Nicely done - as usual - @korver  *:D

Share this comment

Good stuff.

In picture 6 there is an elevated avenue and parking lots underneath it, please can you share the link for those avenue underpass lots because I suspect they come from some obscure Japanese site! Thanks.

Share this comment

Hong Kong became in one of my very favorite world cities after visiting it last September. My first time ever in Asia started in one of the cities that have fascinated me the most since years, and this fascination was only reinforced. It became an instant favorite among this world full of amazing cities. And your update is reinforcing this feeling even more!

I see the compromises you had to make in the recreation, especially in the road ramps and the maze of overpasses between Admiralty and the Bank of China or in the strongly sloped neighborhoods south of The Center building, the Mid-Levels. But none of that is of importance after seeing the very BEST Hong Kong airport recreation ever done in SC4. Don't know how you did that, but it truly looks like the real thing!!

Share this comment

Your work continues to amaze me, Korver. I'm not sure if you'd ever be willing to share any BTS content, like if it's some industry secret of yours, and I'd fully understand. If you don't mind the request though, maybe showing some region shots of what the True Earth looks like, before photoshop if that's even a thing (it's always hard to tell: SimCity 4, photoshop, or a HD photograph). Just BTS content in general. I'm just overall curious the sheer amount of work you put in to get it all looking this good.

Share this comment

@The British Sausage Thank you very much for the comment! The set in question is Neko's Overpass set and can be downloaded here.

@TekindusT Thanks for the nice words! Good to hear that my update is making you want to visit HK again *:thumb: Glad you liked the airport - virtually everything in that scene was custom made using stuff I made from scratch and some models I got online and was one of the more intensive pics I've done for sure.

@Kabinator Appreciate the comment, glad you enjoyed it! I've done a couple of BTS related entries in the past along with some tutorials in a number of my updates: South America, Year in Review, Natural Wonders, & Scenes From South America - and I also made this post late last year which further explains a bit of what I do. I've given a little bit of thought to doing something similar in an upcoming entry if I can find some time to do so eventually.

Share this comment

Amazing.

I must admit, the first picture of the colonial era port scene is my ideal, romanticized historical city.

Share this comment

Thank you very much @Odainsaker!

Those old colonial scenes definitely have a certain charm to them that's hard to resist - hopefully there will be more to come down the road *;)

Share this comment

A valiant attempt but your Hong Kong is too flat. Best pic is the ICC area, you nailed it. If you want to impress me do Happy Valley or The Peak.

Share this comment

Thanks for the comment @MilitantRadical! Glad you liked the ICC scene *:)

I tried to get it as steep as possible but a lot of the buildings started to look funny past a certain point and the foundations were overly steep, especially along the roads. It is pretty steep as is though - the game and camera angle just doesn't do it a lot of justice.

Share this comment

Thank you very much @bixel!

And thanks for all the stunning HK content you and the HKABT have released over the years to help make this update possible *:thumb:

Share this comment

I knew the HKABT creates fantastic lots, but I didn't know they were so fantastic, you could use one screenshot containing several of their lots as a substitute for a mirror. *:D

...but what a dense city, I must add. Thinking about it (and the price of land there) makes me feel amazed yet frightened at the same time.

Share this comment

@Androgeos Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed it! I've always loved HK's density - but I would have to agree with you that it could be a bit intimidating to actually live in some of those ultra dense areas. Although, I'm sure that eventually I'd get used to it *;)

@ESP15 Thank you very much for the comment, appreciate the nice words *:thumb:

Share this comment