SC4Fix: third-party patches for SC4 1.0.7

(34 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

What does this do

• Fixes a serialization bug that could corrupt the savegame, particularly when mods are installed that modify existing exemplars (i.e. prop pox).
  • Resolves a crash-to-desktop when hovering NAM puzzle pieces over transit-enabled lots.
  • Allows other DLLs to load into SC4's memory without a GZCOM framework.

Requirements
This fix is made for versions 640 and 641 of SimCity 4 on Windows. Version 640 is a fully-patched SC4 retail copy, and version 641 is a fully-patched digital distribution version (i.e. Steam, Origin, GOG). Although v641 is supported, it has only been officially tested on Steam.

Installation
Unzip to Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins.

To see if SC4Fix is working properly, check the title of your game window. If you are playing in fullscreen mode, alt-tab out and hover over the SimCity taskbar icon. The titlebar will show "SC4Fix (version #)" if loaded properly.

Repairing cities already affected by prop pox
Thanks to kingofsimcity for these instructions:

1. In the region view, open the graphics settings and change City Detail to Low.
  2. Close and relaunch SC4.
  3. Open the offending city tile and save immediately.
  4. Exit to region without saving and change City Detail back to High.
  5. Close and relaunch SC4.
  6. Open the offending city tile and save again.

Demonstration
Click here for a video showing the ability to hover puzzle pieces over transit-enabled lots with this DLL.

Development Thread and Source Code
Development Thread
Source Code

What's New 1.0.7   View Changelog

Released

Added a fix for prop pox and similar savegame corruption issues, as discussed in this thread.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

rsc204

23 of 23 members found this review helpful 23 / 23 members

Out of nowhere you come and fix the most annoying bug the game has. One I predict few people ever realistically thought could be fixed.

Spent the day testing/playing and trying to get a CTD at every opportunity. Despite doing all the things you are not supposed to do, no CTDs.

If you are wondering whether to install this or not? It's like the EP1 update or I-HT fix, everyone needs this.

- Jan 2018 update -

Well I can't sit idly by ignoring the latest updates to this amazing fix. For those with cities long since thought of as dead, killed by Prop Pox, this update can bring them back to life. Not to mention the side benefit of prevention too. ZombieSC4 saves back from the dead, you should have saved this for Halloween :D.

In all seriousness though, your work on some fairly catastrophic shortcomings left in the game simply can not be understated. I'm sure your contributions will help to retain players who might otherwise, frustrated at loosing all their hard work, simply cease playing. That's really what makes this fix so special, thank you for all your hard work and amazing technical achievements.

Share this review

Link to review
SimNation

9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

Wow, dunno how you gone an done it, but you've gone and done it . Fantastic this one  mod patch alone is one of the greatest assets to the Nam. I hope in the future you get in contact with the NAM team to get if officially incorporated into the NAM as a addon patch. Either way this is a must have file for NAM users.

Share this review

Link to review
matias93

·
  Edited by matias93  

7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This is:

• Fantastic
  • Perfect
  • Magical
  • Incredible
  • Completely bonkers
  • Wasn't this bug hardcoded?
  • Are you a SC4 developer?
  • I didn't think I would live to see this day
  • All of the aforementioned

Edit 21/01/2018: ok, all of those options were clearly an understatement, this little thing also CURES THE PROP POX!!! It's simply irrational...

Share this review

Link to review
kingofsimcity

·
  Edited by kingofsimcity  

5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Essential on multiple levels, and warrants a legendary rating that goes beyond 5 stars. Thank you for squashing one of the most frustrating bugs that SC4 had with the NAM.

Update 1/21:

Well, now you managed to cure prop pox too. Makes the download even more legendary than before! Amazing work. :rofl:

Share this review

Link to review
A Nonny Moose

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

We'll see how well this works under Linux/wine.  If I don't add to this, then it is fine.

Installed and tested.  Near as I can tell it works well except for the task bar manipulation since Linux has no such item.  The process status request (ps) returns the name SimCity 4.exe.  Hardly surprising since this fix is essentially messing with windows environment.  Not exactly the same with wine.

Share this review

Link to review
APSMS

4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Absolutely brilliant!

This is a real game changer.:party:

Share this review

Link to review
slickbg56

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

I don't know how I feel about this. This bug created a whole mini-game in SC4. It's played similar to 'Operation'. I suppose uninterrupted gameplay while placing pieces is ok too. 5/5

Share this review

Link to review
Cyclone Boom

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Bravo, simply awesome! :D

Mods like this aren't supposed to arrive 12+ years later! This will kick-start a whole new perspective on SC4 modding. :party:

What a week of content this has been...

Share this review

Link to review
Jasoncw

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This is really outstanding, and while this bug has caused a lot of grief over the years, I'm more looking forward to what is done with this next!!  :thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
apeek

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

What they said...

Share this review

Link to review
Artimus

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Probably one of the most important fix that will save countless cities and hours from the dreaded, terminal illness of prop pox while preserving a generation of SimCity 4 enthusiasts for more years to come. Thank you. 

Share this review

Link to review
ricb

Just spent a couple of hours trying to create a CTD with TE lots and NAM puzzle pieces.  I am happy to say that I failed miserably.  This one should win you great honors.

Share this review

Link to review
Tonraq

·
  Edited by Tonraq  

Absolutely Brilliant.

UPDATE (January 21, 2017):

You sir, is absolutely brilliant! Thank you for curing the Prop Pox!

Share this review

Link to review
GameFrog

Oh my God! This is a revolution to all simcity 4 players!

Share this review

Link to review
Themistokles

This actually WORKS! IT WORKS :party:

and it came in the exact right time to help me solve a STR situation which has been bugging me for the better part of a month! Thank you! :thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
metarvo

Thank you for solving one of SC4's greatest remaining flaws.  Good work!

Share this review

Link to review
lavon

0 of 7 members found this review helpful 0 / 7 members

My Norton said this is not good to run, now I'm confused. I 'll give it 2 stars for now and that's just for the thought

Share this review

Link to review
nRVOUS

Amazing

Share this review

Link to review
towerpower123

The crashes are gone!!! I tried and failed to crash the game with hovering NAM puzzle pieces over a transit enabled station and couldn't! I can now build GLR networks without losing the progress! *:thumb::ohyes:

Share this review

Link to review
Talla 2XLC

This should get 6 Stars but i can only give 5

Share this review

Link to review
Hatchet2k4

Just started getting back into the game again and this is a lifesaver. Thank you!

Share this review

Link to review
khimera

Works for me!! This is brilliant, thanks a million.

Share this review

Link to review
Salva1914

Thanks !!!  :thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
  • STEX Featured

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Similar Content

• By Pegasus
      This patch will remove the background music from the PEG Chicken Ranch lot for those who have had enough. The patch includes two "No Music" version files, one for the ploppable lot and one for the growable. Just replace the existing lot .dat files with these files, and the lot's background music will no longer play.
      Dependency:
      PEG Chicken Ranch
      ** Do not remove or replace the lot's RESOURCE file. **

All Pegasus files are now legacy content and are no longer officially supported - however support from the wider community can be requested here.
      -Cori Edit: Made dep a clickable linky.
    • By Pegasus
      Please Note: This is another Snow Mod related upload. 

Also Note: This mod can be used with any Snow Mod as it does not affect any snow textures.
      For use with the PEG Snow Mod, this patch file allows you to de-flower your cities. The patch file simply removes certain flora props that normally wouldn't appear in a snow covered scene. Don't worry... your lots and cities are not affected in any way. The props are still there. They just won't show... in the snow.
      Specifically, this patch hides all flower props that just look out of place in the snow.  It also conceals several of the smaller bush/brush props that would be covered up by the snow. All palm trees are replaced with pine trees... and the scrub brush that appears at higher elevations when you plant God Mode trees is also hidden.
      Just like the Snow Mod, when you are ready for springtime once again, just remove the mod and everything in the game returns to normal. By default, this mod is installed to the same folder as the Snow Mod, so simply moving that one folder out of your Plugins will uninstall all related Snow mods. 

** This mod has no dependencies and is designed for use with the PEG Snow Mod.
      All Pegasus files are now legacy content and are no longer officially supported - however support from the wider community can be requested here.

-Cori Edit: Made referenced mod a clickable linky.
    • By Pegasus
      This is a small Patch File for the PEG-UT Mall Canals that fixes a incorrect property values in all of the MallCanal lots. Because the lots are RCI ploppables, the games appears to ignore the properties in question. Whether the patch is installed or not, the lots appear and perform the same. Therefore, installing this patch is purely optional... although still recommended to insure that everything "under-the-hood" is as it should be.

** Special thanks to ScottFTL for catching and reporting the incorrect property values. 
    • By Pegasus
      Patch file for PEG MTP Fire Station
    • By Pegasus
      Patch file for CDK3 Basics

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections