True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

New York City - Landmarks & Mosaics

0pXiUM1.jpg

Today, were returning to the Big Apple - New York City - to take another look at this incredible city's most famous landmarks along with a number of mosaics to further showcase the skyline.

We begin our trip to New York City with a look at Lower Manhattan and the rebuilt World Trade Center complex. With the 1,776 foot tall One World Trade Center opening in 2014 along with a number of other buildings - and with more on the way - its becoming one of the city's premier office spaces yet again. Other sights here include the famous Woolworth Building - the world's tallest building for nearly 20 years - and the iconic Brooklyn Bridge, the world's longest suspension bridge upon opening in 1883.

9vPF2Yp.jpg

New York City's Financial District is one of the world's leading financial hubs and is home to a variety of historic and modern skyscrapers. The eight-block long Wall Street runs through the heart of the district and is home to the New York Stock Exchange - by far the world's highest valued stock exchange.

Xo5P2LE.jpg

Amongst the sea of skyscrapers sits one of the city's most beautiful natural landmarks - The Battery (formerly known as Battery Park). This 25 acre public park has remained a green space on the southern tip of Manhattan since the 1700s, and has offered both locals and tourists a place to relax and enjoy the scenery.

cRvGrrt.jpg

Past the tip of Southern Manhattan is where you'll find Liberty Island and one of the city's most famous landmarks - the Statue of Liberty. This gift from the French has stood tall for nearly 150 years, representing friendship and enlightenment.

Uh1gXvk.jpg

We now head to Midtown Manhattan to take a look at a few more of the city's most famous landmarks, beginning with the beautiful Chrysler Building. Following its completion in 1930, this 1,046 foot tall Art Deco skyscraper briefly held the title as the world's tallest building until the completion of our next landmark.

irngo15.jpg

The famed 1,250 foot tall Empire State Building took the crown in 1931 and stood as the world's tallest for nearly 40 years. With a variety of stunning lighting schemes throughout the year - it makes for one of the city's most distinctive sights at nighttime.

5lculUJ.gif

The skyline of Midtown Manhattan is beginning to change rapidly with an influx of supertall skyscrapers like Jean Nouvel's 53W53, formerly known as Tower Verre. This 950 foot tall building is set to open in early 2019 and sits in the heart of midtown, adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art. With Art Deco masterpieces like the Rockefeller Center close by - it makes for quite the contrast, and its striking design will be hard to miss.

iEtB8fT.jpg

We now turn our attention to a few of the city's other famous tourist attractions - such as the Lincoln Center. This iconic center was opened in 1962 and is home to a number of performing arts organizations like the Metropolitan Opera, New York City Opera, New York City Ballet, and the New York Philharmonic. With a variety of theaters, a library, and even a school - this 16 acre complex is truly the city's premier performing arts destination.

hZ6DWEq.jpg

The American Museum of Natural History was founded in 1869 by a group of prominent businessmen and politicians - which included eventual president Theodore Roosevelt. Since then, its turned into one of the most visited museums in the world, with nearly 5 million exploring the countless displays and exhibits here. Once you get done visiting the museum - scenic Central Park is right next door, and the fall foliage makes for one of the city's most stunning sights.

QXmv8va.gif

A couple mosaics of Midtown Manhattan - showcasing a wide variety of architectural styles.

U2eEwEt.jpg

n0Ak5IN.jpg

Our last stop is one of the world's most famous intersections - Times Square. This major commercial intersection sits at the junction of Broadway and Seventh Avenue and has been dubbed "The Center of the Universe" for its bright lights, billboards, and famous destination status. Between the Broadway plays, restaurants, and entertainment venues - there's always something to do here, day or night.

skKLUW0.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

Previous Update: "San Francisco"

MCvbeew.jpg

Thanks to @mike_oxlong, @redfox85, @etg-nc2nyc, @RobertLM78, @CorinaMarie, @Odainsaker, @ByeByeBayou, @Handyman, @nycsc4, @9gruntsand1hammer, @bladeberkman, @tariely, @scotttbarry, @Toby Ferrian, @ESP15, @jakis, @Androgeos, @Simmer2, @_Michael, @Terring, @Krasner, @The British Sausage, @weixc812, @bobolee, @matias93, @nRVOUS, @JP Schriefer, @europe.au, @Elenphor, @Fargo, @Huggy-Bear, @Angry Mozart, @Ling Ziming, & @PHBSD for all the likes!

23 Comments

Recommended Comments

Yaaay! New York in your hands again and you didn't disappoint. Wonderful pictures :ohyes:

Interesting that today earlier I was watching a WTC documentary made some months before 9/11. It was nice to see your recreation of the nowadays site, thanks for that.

Share this comment

I'm not surprised you chose so many night pictures. A big city like New York is most impressive at night. (and oh, Lady Liberty. Perfect shot.)  Wonderful mosaics !  People who say "I don't play night" don't know what they are missing ! :-))))

Share this comment

Probably I've said that before, but this is now your very best update up to date!! A truly epic update, everything we could ask for, korver delivered to the power of two or three.

Share this comment

@JP Schriefer Thank you very much! *:) I'm planning on including an old 1970s WTC scene in another NYC update I have planned later on this year so stay tuned - it's going to be a timeline of the city with even more historic scenes from the city's beginning all the way up to the modern day and even a few in the future.

@RobertLM78 Thank you very much for the comment *:thumb:

@tariely Thanks for the comment! I was actually originally planning on doing more day time pics for the update, but the night time ones ended up looking too good and I couldn't leave them out *:P Glad you enjoyed Lady Liberty *:)

@mike_oxlong Thanks for the kind words! *:) Glad you enjoyed, unfortunately I haven't been to NYC yet - but I'm definitely planning on visiting one day.

@TekindusT Thank you for the comment, appreciate the nice words! *:thumb:

Share this comment

beautiful. I was wondering how you got it that leads the highway under the bridge. I know that there are lots but they look different. do you have your own lots? keep it up

Share this comment

Dude, that first Midtown Manhattan mosaic gave me flashbacks to watching Koyaanisqatsi (44:50).

Epic. As always.

Making the rest of us feel simply inadequate.

Share this comment

Who needs Google Street View or Google Earth Pro when you have...True Earth?!

All kidding aside, I'm extremely impressed with your recreation of New York CIty, especially with that screenshot of Liberty Island. I'm not sure why, but the impression I always get from popular media is that the Statue of Liberty basically takes up the entire island, when in reality this isn't the case.

As always, I have a handful of simple questions on some things that struck my fancy:

1. Where did you get the Brooklyn Bridge? It's neither part of the NAM installation nor a Maxis bridge.
  2. How did you make that flyover near the Woolworth Building? Was it done with NAM puzzle pieces?

Share this comment

New York City is definitely one of the most important cities in SimCity 4. It has more Maxis landmarks than any other city.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive and accurate recreation of NYC. I especially like your recreation of Financial District and Terminal City.

Share this comment

Wow! I'm blown away once again by incredible attention to detail. Love those gif's as well, I the same idea for the ESB lighting montage years ago for my CJ but never got around to making it.

What an inspiration your NYC recreation is, I'll be studying these images for my own recreation. 

Share this comment

Everything is spectacular as always!  Empire State gif and Times Square photo are amazing. Hope you get to visit sometime!

Share this comment

I love the myriad of nicely done details such as combining that piece of the UN HQ park with the little church in the first picture. It's not just plopping down a skyscraper forest, and not even just meticulously plopping down skyscrapers according to their real-life location and finding suitable BATs where an exact replica is not available. It's this utmost attention to detail that makes this Manhattan rendition so special. Even the crowded streets where every second car seems to be a yellow cab are faithfully reproduced as far as I can tell from my first (and only) visit to the Big Apple. *:)

Share this comment

You left me speechless once again. :ohyes:  You perfected another of the classical SC4 recreation genres. Paris recreation? Check. Japanese city recreation? Check. NYC recreation? Oh boy,  smashed it. Can't wait to see what's next. Also congratulations for your previous San Francisco update. *:D

Greetings,

—SC4L0ver

Share this comment

Yet again, Korver strikes fear into the hearts of SC4 players everywhere! :rofl:

But seriously, amazing work. It all feels and looks so damn Manhattan-y, down to those residential high-rises near Brooklyn Bridge. 

I do have one concern, though. That statue seems to be non-functioning. We should probably give it back to the French until we come to be deserving of it again.   

Share this comment

@sebking99 The highway under bridge lot can be found here - unfortunately it isn't 100% compatible with the specific reskin I was using though (MHO Highway override set) so it required a little touching up. Thanks for the nice words!

@Whte_rbt I have to admit I've never seen or heard of Koyaanisqatsi before - but some of the YT trailers have been extremely fascinating. You've definitely piqued my interest *:) Thanks for stopping by, appreciate the comment!

@Androgeos Thanks for the kind words! The Brooklyn Bridge should be available in the vanilla game I believe (for Avenues and Highways) - but you'll need to make sure that the length of the bridge is long enough first. The interchange you mentioned should be available in the NAM - if you're not doing a complete installation make sure you click on the box for Maxis Highway Interchange & Ramp Additions.

@mrsmartman Thanks for the comment! NYC has always had a special place in SC4's history, whether it be from the in game landmarks or the incredible custom content. I really wanted to make sure I did the Big Apple justice in these updates *;)

@Hanson784 Thanks for the comment and nice words! Glad to hear from one of the NYC masters - your blog was a wonderful source of inspiration while working on this update *:thumb:

@scotttbarry Thank you very much for the comment! It's certainly on the bucket list *:)

@T Wrecks Thanks for the nice words and for stopping by! Countless hours were spent on Google Earth and Google Street View to make sure I got every last detail down - glad you enjoyed it *:)

@SC4L0ver Thank you very much! There's still many, many more cities and different styles I want to explore this year so stay tuned *;)

@bladeberkman Thanks for the nice words! Those @kingofsimcity park sets are a real game changer for park scenes - I hope I'll be able to feature them some more in the future *:)

@MAW Thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed the gif *:thumb:

@AlphaAviator Thanks for the comment! *:)

@adventurerneil Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the update! *:)

Share this comment