• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Western U.S.

WesternUSBanner.jpg?dl=1

After viewing some of the United States' most iconic cities and skylines over the past couple of updates - today we'll be taking road trip through some of the country's most stunning national parks and other impressive sights from the West.

We begin our trip through the West in Southern Arizona - where we'll be visiting Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Established in 1937, it's a thriving community of plants and animals - and the only place in the United States where you'll get to see the impressive Organ Pipe cactus.

(1)%20OrganPipe.jpg?dl=1

After making our way through Organ Pipe's many winding roads, we now travel north towards the Arizona/Utah border to visit our first National Park and one of the world's most awe-inspiring natural wonders - the Grand Canyon. This five-thousand foot deep gorge was created over a period of 15 million years - and it's truly one of nature's best masterpieces.

Dawn_on_the_S_rim_of_the_Grand_Canyon_(8

(4)%20GCMosaic1.jpg?dl=1

(3)%20GCMosaic2.jpg?dl=1

(5)%20GrandCanyon.jpg?dl=1

Monument Valley can be found further East, towards the Arizona/Utah border. This iconic symbol of the West lies in the middle of Navajo Nation, and offers stunning views any time of the year.

(6)%20MVTimeline2.5.gif?dl=1

We take a brief stop at Capitol Reef National Park - it might be less visited than a few of the other iconic parks close by, but it's just as beautiful. Small farms and orchards like the Gifford Homestead offer a beautiful contrast to the stunning red rock backdrop.

Gifford_Farm,_Capitol_Reef_National_Park

(7)%20CapitolReefFarm.jpg?dl=1

Utah's Canyonlands National Park is our next sight - and this endless maze of canyons, buttes, and other dramatic rock formations can take your breath away.

9068664005_9092b76ce9_b.jpg

(8)%20CanyonlandsDaytime.jpg?dl=1

Although snow here can be rare, it makes for quite the exceptional sight - especially from the air.

(9)%20CanyonlandsWinterAerial.jpg?dl=1

We travel further north for our next destination - Arches National Park. Landscape Arch is the 5th longest natural arch in the world and is one of the park's most awe-inspiring sights.

(10)%20LandscapeArch.jpg?dl=1

We start heading towards the West Coast to view a few more natural wonders - but before then, we take a brief stop to visit one of the West's desolate ghost towns. It's been over a century since the gold rush, and nature has long since taken over - these long abandoned towns are truly frozen in time.

(11)%20GhostTown.jpg?dl=1

Rural western California can be quite rugged and barren in some places - with only the occasional oil field in the distance breaking up the view.

(2)%20RefineryPumpJacks.jpg?dl=1

Our next stop is Sequoia National Park - we get a first hand look at some of its imposing Sequoia trees, some of which can tower over 200 feet tall. In the midst of a heavy snowstorm, it's a real winter wonderland.

(12)%20SequoiaWinter.jpg?dl=1

The last stop on our journey is Yosemite National Park - one the most impressive natural wonders on the face of the planet, formed by glacial activity millions of years ago.  Massive rock formations like El Capitan tower nearly 3,000 feet over Yosemite Valley - and is a popular destination for rock climbers. But only the bravest would dare to take it on during a heavy snowstorm..

YosemitePark2_amk.jpg

(13)%20ElCapitan.jpg?dl=1

Half Dome is another one of Yosemite's most impressive sights - with one of its sides being completely sheer and the others being smooth and rounded, it gives it the appearance of a dome being cut right in half. It's one of the park's most iconic destinations - and cable routes offer brave tourists a route straight to the top for incredible views.

(14)%20HalfDome.jpg?dl=1

One last view of Yosemite - an overview of the entire valley from above. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the West! *:)

(15)%20YosemiteValley.jpg?dl=1

Special thanks for photographs used in this update:
dawn on the S rim of the Grand Canyon, CCSA2, Murray Foubister | Gifford Farm, Capitol Reef National Park, CCSA4, Towneb | Green River Overlook, Canyonlands National Park, Utah, CCND2, Chao Yen | Yosemite valley, Yosemite National Park, California, USA, CCSA2.5, AngMoKio.

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

Previous Update: "New York City - Landmarks & Mosaics"

Thanks to @nRVOUS, @CorinaMarie, @JP Schriefer, @redfox85, @nycsc4, @9gruntsand1hammer, @bladeberkman, @etg-nc2nyc, @RobertLM78, @tariely, @mike_oxlong, @Krasner, @Handyman, @Angry Mozart, @Simmer2, @tonyr, @bobolee, @ESP15, @Odainsaker, @Duco, @Toby Ferrian, @Androgeos, @mrsmartman, @jakis, @The British Sausage, @kingofsimcity, @europe.au, @scotttbarry, @raynev1, @Fantozzi, @SC4L0ver, @Ling Ziming, @paulmc, @PHBSD, @MAW, & @adventurerneil for all the likes!

13 Comments

Recommended Comments

What sorcery is this? I never thought such landscaping is possible in SimCity 4. Well done!

(of course, probably just terrain maps and props in hindsight, but the Landscape Arch blends in nicely with the actual landscape)

...oh, and check the real-life photo of Half Dome - hotlinking's disabled for that one.

What terrain mods did you use?

Share this comment

Oh man. What to say about this update? Jaw-dropping? Exceptional? Glorious? Magnificent? Exquisite?

Without a doubt, all of the above. I swear I've said this before though I'm not above saying it again: each time I think you've set an unbeatable standard,  you've proven me incorrect. I can't wait to see what you've got in store for us next! 

Share this comment

You never cease to amaze....  this *is* SC4, right?  :P

When you get the time and motivation, I'd like to see a tutorial on how you do your handiwork, especially terrains and roads. 

Thanks for sharing buddy!  :8)

Share this comment

Seeing as you're cranking this stuff out at a frankly ridiculous rate, how about a shot-for-shot remake of Koyaanisqatsi in SC4?

Go on, you know you want to...

Share this comment

@Androgeos Thanks for the nice words! The Landscape Arch scene was made with a custom BAT, lots of MMPs, and some terraforming. As @CorinaMarie mentioned, I did a little behind the scenes on some of this late last year so be sure to check that out if you haven't already *:)

@mike_oxlong Thanks for the high praise, I'm really glad you're enjoying the updates *:thumb:

@RobertLM78 Thank you very much! I've done a couple small guides in the past like in my Year In Review entry but I might look into doing some more if I have enough free time so we'll see. Glad you liked the update *:)

@TekindusT Thanks for the nice words! *:thumb:

@tariely Thanks for the comment *:D

@VicRusty Loads of custom content (and a lot of practice)! Thanks for the nice words *:)

@Whte_rbt As much as I'd love to - unfortunately I don't have *that* much free time on my hands *:lol: Thanks for the comment! *:)

@_Michael Thank you very much! *:)

@tonyr Thanks for the comment! *:)

@Prophet42 Thanks for the kind words! *:) 

@feyss Thanks for the comment *:thumb:

Share this comment