• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

New York City

VposHnj.jpg

After taking a look at historic New York City - we'll take a look at this incredible city in the modern day. The Statue of Liberty is one of New York City's most iconic landmarks - originally bronze when it was completed in 1886, it turned green over the years due to oxidation and has greeted millions of immigrants coming into the United States.

lEwAugB.jpg

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the city's most famous landmarks - at the time of its opening in 1883, it was the world's longest suspension bridge and quickly became known across the globe.

fFVai7E.jpg

Lower Manhattan boasts some of the world's most incredible skyscrapers. In the early 1900s, Art Deco high rises like the incredible Woolworth Building dominated the skyline, and the entire area quickly became an important financial and business hub. Today, Lower Manhattan continues to grow upwards with buildings like the World Trade Center complex after the original twin towers fell on September 11th, 2001.

LpLN7Tm.jpg

Snowy days can be quite stunning in New York City - especially among the high rises of Midtown Manhattan.

nivcZ1a.jpg

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is one of the city's most unique and beautiful buildings - designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, it's been a popular attraction since its opening in 1959.

fBSN9Pp.jpg

Since its opening in 1857, Central Park has been an oasis in the heart of the city and one of its most popular destinations.

vJTyClv.jpg

The United Nations Headquarters was completed in 1952 by architects Oscar Niemeyer and Le Corbusier. The complex has served as the official world headquarters of the UN ever since.

RuMHyUZ.jpg

Madison Square Garden is one of New York City's most famous venues - from professional basketball, hockey, boxing, concerts, and more - there's always something going on here.

JFeQkOm.jpg

The Empire State Building was opened in 1931 - standing 1,250 feet tall, it has remained an icon of the city ever since and is particularly striking at night.

ns1rGEy.jpg

A mosaic of Midtown Manhattan at night - one of the world's most awe-inspiring skylines.

nGJdgjw.jpg

Thanks once again to everyone for your support throughout the course of 2017!

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

- - -

Previous Update: "Historic New York City"

a7XIWKV.jpg

Thanks @SimRico, @9gruntsand1hammer, @Urban Constanta, @matias93, @art128, @RobertLM78, @Tyberius06, @simmaster07, @Odainsaker, @kingofsimcity, @nRVOUS, @gviper, @bobolee,@Probidence, @redfox85, @CorinaMarie, @JP Schriefer, @Fargo, @Silur, @tonyr, @scotttbarry, @bladeberkman, @PaulSawyer, @gigius76, @jakis, @Manuel-ito, @ESP15, @Toby Ferrian, @Handyman, @Elenphor, @mike_oxlong, @aegian, @Finnbhennach, @The British Sausage, @Akallan, @Jonas_Chaves, @RandyE, @kim026, @raynev1, @Tonraq, @Ling Ziming, & @rathefalcon for all the likes!

26 Comments

Recommended Comments

Had no idea Le Corbusier was involved in the 'United Nations" (aka United Nothings)  building.   He sure embraced the automobile with wide open arms - but he did some interesting stuff:

Unit%C3%A9_d'Habitation_de_Marseille_2.J

Share this comment

Thanks for the comment @RobertLM78!

Yeah, I had no idea either - the UN Building is usually associated with Niemeyer, but it was actually Le Corbusier who drew up the original plans for the building I believe. Great picture too - love his architectural style.

Share this comment

First things first: fantastic update, and how fast! Is the idea to close 2017 with all of this, or you have something else for January (I'm also guessing we both are on the part of the Earth where is still 2017 ;) )

About the UN headquarters architects, the winning project, called 42G, is basically a mix mainly based on Niemeyer's original project 32, nonetheless heavily influenced by Le Corbusier and his project 23 (in fact, Le Corbusier initially tried to avoid Niemeyer to make a proposal at all and just contribute to his). To get an idea, Le Corbusier wanted to make a single structure centred on the lot, with the assemblies rooms as the base and the Secretariat tower raising from there, while Niemeyer prefered to distribute the different buildings on the southern side of the lot and reserve the northern side for a civic park; in any case, he ended conceding to Le Corbusier on the placement of the General Assembly building, which ended located in the centre of the lot.

Share this comment

Outstanding! I'm agog at the speed with which you're able to publish and the incredible quality you're able to maintain. Bravo!

Share this comment

Wonderful!! This has undoubtedly made its way into the SC4 NYC Recreation Hall of Fame*:D

Your attention to detail is again mesmerising, not only on this update, but also your previous one, with that beautiful inter-war period ambiance. :ohyes:

—SC4L0ver.

Share this comment

Great post!!  The night shots are especially stunning.  I also like the Central Park picture.  Great attention to detail and use of MMPs!  I always enjoy your submissions.  Keep up the great work.

Share this comment

@matias93 Yep, these last couple of updates were the big finale, at least for this year. Unfortunately there probably won't be any more updates for a couple months while I get started on what I want to do for 2018. Thanks for the insight too on the UN Building *:thumb:

@mike_oxlong Thanks for the nice words! *:thumb:

@SC4L0ver Thanks for the nice comment, I'm glad you enjoyed my NYC updates *:)

@Prophet42 Thank you very much! Glad you liked the night shots and MMP work *:)

Share this comment

It is impossible to say if this one is the best NYC recration to date having seen extremely impressive works during the latest years, but for sure yours is somewhere among the Top 3. That was another excellent update, and I'm seriously running out of words to qualify this CJ already!

Share this comment

@RandyE Thanks for the comment! I've actually given the Grand Canyon some thought in the past, it's one of my favorite places on Earth - I might try to tackle it sometime this year *;)

@feyss Thank you! It probably wasn't as difficult as you would imagine, I just used this Liberty Island BAT that was released pretty recently, removed the Maxis model from it and substituted it with RDQ's Statue of Liberty as a prop on top of it.

@TekindusT Thanks for the nice words, I'm glad you enjoyed it *:thumb:

Share this comment

Wow, I can't believe I'm just seeing this now.  These are some of the most beautiful SC4 images I've ever seen!  The time and dedication you've put into these pictures really shows.  I love everything from the densely populated concrete jungles of the city to the peaceful parks and so much more!  I'll have to look at more of your city journal when I get the chance!

Best regards,

Chris

Share this comment

Another outstanding update! This time of modern day Manhattan. Very inspirational for my own New York recreation and nice to see 500 Fifth Avenue, Bryant Park Hotel and the NY Public Library showcased in the skyline. Wondering where did you get the hatched textures for the intersection though. Or were they edited in via Photoshop?

Share this comment

@Hanson784 Thank you for the nice comment! The hatched lines weren't photoshopped, its from a mod in the NAM - I got it by doing a Custom Installation, then going to Additional Features and Customizations -> Road Textures and Markings -> Options for American-Style Road Textures -> New York City-style Large Intersection.

Share this comment

Great work as always, As a former resident of Manhattan I can attest to the authenticity of this recreation.

Share this comment

I read your post while listening to Frank Sinatras' New York, New York versionIt was such a nice experience! I love how your city is full of those yellow taxi cabs, it adds a nice detail.

Nice work!

Share this comment

I love the *NEW* New York as well! *:rofl: I thought beating the 1930's version was impossible, but you've done it again! The nite shots are stunning *:thumb:

Share this comment

Hi mattb325, Have you ever thought of creating and designing buildings in the cities skylines game? 

Share this comment

Absolutely beautiful work! Well done :thumb:

And nice that you featured my Madison Square Garden :-) Soon you can put in the MoMA Expansion Tower hehe

Share this comment

I even got the notification for the second part of NYC, but I couldn't see it at the time and I forgot. But no problem at all, because being New York at some point I will remember and I can spend a lot of time admiring each picture. Each one of them are very beautiful, I'd give them a 10, but my favourites would receive 10.1: the One World Trade Center, the Central Park ones and the snowing picture.

Share this comment