1 Screenshot

About This File

Another Minnesota building! It's almost as if I have a preference for that sort of thing.

This particular building is located by the Mississippi River's western bank, right at the heart of the western portion of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus. Dating to 1963, it was among the first buildings to be completed as part of the university's expansion across the river. Over 50 years later, it remains the tallest university building on the western side of the river and is home to, unsurprisingly, a number of social science departmental offices. 

I've modded it as a ploppable college building as well as a growable CO$$ building. As usual, both darknite and maxisnite versions are included. The darknite scene requires this lovely mod from Simfox. Otherwise, this baby is dependency free.

Note that two versions of this model are included - one with modeled ground and one with an editable lot. I kept the editable version simple so you can play around with it freely - I'm curious to see what you all come up with!

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have or bugs you find. You can also check out my current projects here

What's New in Version 1.1.0   View Changelog

Released

4/20/17 - added a version that does NOT contain modeled ground/plaza area.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Brooklyn81

Another brick/concrete building to download always puts a smile on my face. Speceba, keep up the good work. *:)

Share this review

Link to review
tariely

I knew its sibling, when I was a university student... Pitch perfect :-)

Share this review

Link to review
SimCoug

Great to see this one crossing the finish line.  I love the big box brick buildings - this will give a sense of history to any downtown.  Skyscrapers can't all be glass and steel.  The textures and night lighting are amazing as always - hope to see some more BATs from you down the line.  Great work!

Share this review

Link to review
mattb325

Love it! Great mid-century vibe *:thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
Jasoncw

I'm glad to see you finish this, it turned out well. 

Share this review

Link to review
sejr99999

thank you for this beautiful model  great night lights (both versions) and I like the 2 options of university and office bldg

Share this review

Link to review
markussaage

Another awesome detailed building! Thanks for sharing!

Share this review

Link to review
  • STEX Featured

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Similar Content

• By RandyE
      ● Combines Maxis City College and Radio Station Reward, transmits on KSIM frequency at 1420.5 MHz.
      ● Student Capacity: 7,200. Monthly Cost §1,000. Plop Cost: §900. Landmark Effect: 25 over 20.
      ● School EQ Boost: 38, Mayor Rating Effect: 50 over 440. Network and Transit enabled.
      ● Inspired by the 'school of radio station 1' by 'people of NYC'
      Immediate mass communication began at the beginning of the 20th century with radio; generations since are the children of the "school of radio station". I was thinking of Pablo Picasso, arranging the Maxis props like a cubist. It is claimed that when he first viewed the pre-historic cave paintings in Lascaux, France he said, "We've done nothing better since".  The KSIM frequency at 1420.5 MHz refers to the Wow! signal received from interstellar space Aug. 15, 1977.
      Dependencies: None
      Install: User Documents SimCity 4 Plugins
      Copy and Paste the unzipped *title* folder into *user*\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins. Delete readme and preview files. Menu icons will appear in-game for the associated lots.
    • By brianc1327
      Recently, there have been some posts about education("questions about education," "the 550 year education experiment"), so I decided to perform a little experiment:
      First, I made a new area, and on the small grids, I built 5 different cities, all zoned kinda based on a post I made several months ago called "new neighborhood design," though I think I have modified it some since I made that post.
      In the first city's "city center", I put in a police station, fire station, harbor clinic hospital(that was overkill, but I will discuss that a bit more in my conclusion), and no educational facilities whatsoever.  Then I built a city with the same "city center", but with an elementary school, then a third with both an elemetary and high school, then another with both types of schools, and the other educational facilities of branch library, museum, and community college.  I decided also to build another city with not only all the educational facilities that come at the start of the game, but also the educational facilities that come with the "you don't deserve it" cheat.
      For the schools, I upped the amount they are funded from whatever the default is to the maximal amount, for other educational facilities  (such as the branch library), I left the funding at the default level.
      In each city I put an "infinite money park" and let the city run for 2-3 months before I started zoning, so I would not have to worry about whether the city made or lost money.  I also used the "cosmic neutrino power plant" so I did not have to worry about water or electricity (which also comes in a "business deal form that gives $50000/month), and I plonked down a hyperspace garbage disposal so I did not have to worry about that either.

I hope this is an adequate description of the zoning I did in each city, but after I zoned them, I let them run for 20 game years, declining any rewards that I earned, though I think the only rewards I got were the upgraded pumps and schools, neither of which I needed (the upgraded schools would be very improtant if I had used high-density residential, but not with the medium-density that I did use).  I also got the mayor's house, which probably does make some difference, but probably not a lot, and I wanted to be as consistent as I could from city to city.
      These are my results.  Many of the numbers are my "best guess" from the appropriate graph, and I hope that I got them all transcribed correctly:
      No Education:
      Population: $-5600 $$-650 $$$-100
      Industrial: D-3000 M-160  HT-0
      C. Service: $-1200 $$-110 $$$-7
      C. Office:         $$-140 $$$-15
      EQ: 0, Mayor Rating: 50, Cashflow (w/o mods) per month: -$3000
      Elemetary:
      Population: $-3200 $$-2400 $$$-480
      Industrial: D-1600 M-820  HT-9
      C. Service: $-700 $$-400 $$$-28
      C. Office:         $$-660 $$$-87
      EQ: 50, Mayor Rating: 65, Cashflow (w/o mods) per month: -$200
      Elementary + High
      Population: $-4800 $$-4500 $$$-800
      Industrial: D-1800 M-1100  HT-280
      C. Service: $-450 $$-850 $$$-140
      C. Office:         $$-1200 $$$-500
      EQ: 110, Mayor Rating: just over60, Cashflow (w/o mods) per month: +$500
      Elementary + High + Other(comm. coll., library, museum)
      Population: $-11000 $$-5900 $$$-1500
      Industrial: D-3000 M-1600  HT-1200
      C. Service: $-24 $$-330 $$$-330
      C. Office:         $$-1200 $$$-1900
      EQ: 140, Mayor Rating: just over 60, Cashflow (w/o mods) per month: -$400
      All Education + "you don't deserve it" education cheats
      Population: $-1200 $$-2500 $$$-650
      Industrial: D-280 M-200  HT-700
      C. Service: $-0 $$-550 $$$-260
      C. Office:         $$-590 $$$-1100
      EQ: almost 200, Mayor Rating: ~69, Cashflow (w/o mods) per month: -$2000
      These are the conclusions I draw from the results of this experiment:
      One of the questions asked was whether it makes a difference if the coverage area of schools needs to cover inustrial/commercial areas.  I don't think so, and the reason why I don't is that if you go to "data views", and select "education," stats ("low," "med," "high," etc) are shown for residential areas, but no education stats, positive or negative, are shown for industrial/commercial areas, though I suppose an experiment with educational coverage in just the residential areas vs. a city with coverage in all areas (residential or not), could be devised to determine this.
      I think overall the cities got "slightly better" in the cited statistics as educational facilities were added in, at least until the last city with the "you don't deserve it" cheats.  Perhaps, using the cheat invoked some kind of penalty, that at least in the short term, made things "worse," I just don't know.
      However, I got to thinking, and although after a short amount of game years (20) the city with the "you don't deserve it" cheats was "almost as bad" in most of its stats as the "no education" city, I think that if the cities had run for a longer amount of time (100, 200, 500, or even 1000 game years), the 
      "no education city" would not have gone much past where it was based on its stats (EQ=0, mayor rating = 50), but the "you don't deserve it" cheat city was poised to expand in terms of r$$$ population and HT indstry based on its stats (EQ=almost 200, mayor rating = 69.)
      I also think that without the mods (infinite money park, hyperspace garbage dump, cosmic neutrino power plant), each of these cities could have been tweaked (zoning, money spent on health care, education) to make money.  As I mentioned before, the harbor clinic hospital was overkill because I looked the number of patients in the hospitals, and the number could have been handled by either a fully funded clinic or partially funded general hospital, both of which are cheaper than even the lowest level of funding for the harbor clinic hospital (I think).
      I also got to thinking about it and I think my final statistic, that I called "cashflow (w/o mods)" is perhaps a bit misleading. The reason I say this is because I subtracted the $50000 is got from the business deal of the cosmic neutrino plant and then compared the city income vs. city expenses.  However, it is not quite this simple because I would have not had essentially free power and water either, but would have had to factor in the cost (both envirinmental and monetary) of having a power plant and water pumps supplied by the game.
      So my final conclusion is that educational facilities are not necessary at all, at least if the goal is to make money, as I think any of my "test" cities could be tweaked to make money without it.  If the goal is to make the most money possible get a high EQ, or to attract rich people, or HT industry, they are essential. 
      As to a question asked in the thread "question about education," whether high schools are necessary, the answer depends on your goal in playing the game.  The city can probably be tweaked to make money without them, and in the short run they will cost money both to build and to operate.  However in the long run they will increase the overall EQ, and thus increase the proportion of R$$$, HT industry, CS$$$, and CO$$$, all of which will increase your income.  If your goals are something else, such as mayor rating, or whatever, increasing the EQ with more schools will probably help as well.
      Brian Christiansen
    • By mattb325
      Karlsruhe Courthouse, by Mattb325.
      ---------------------------------------
      The district attorney's office in Karlsruhe is presented in SC4 as a functional courthouse.
      It is a reasonably accurate representation although I have omitted the high perimeter walls which are just a little too imposing for my taste. 
      In addition to providing your sims with 128 highly desirable civic jobs, it will help alleviate the commercial and residential demand caps that can hinder city development by providing additional regional demand of over 80,000 CO§§ spaces and 10,000 Residential spaces. Given the way that the game is designed, in addition to providing health, education, safety, etc, using rewards is an absolutely necessary part of being able to develop large cities and regions.
      It sits on a 5x4 lot.
      * It is offered as a reward without needing to meet pre-existing conditions.
      * It is located in the REWARD Menu 
      * It can be placed more than once in a city. 
      * It DOES NOT over-write the ingame courthouse (or any re-lotted versions there-of), so can be used in conjunction with the standard Maxis courthouse reward.
      * It DOES NOT over-write any of my other courthouse lots (so can be used in conjunction with these as well).
      STATS:
      Lot size :                5 x 4
      Plop Cost:              §41,000
      Monthly Cost:        §910
      Budget Item:          Government Buildings
      Occupant Groups: Reward, Courthouse
      Demand Created:  Jobs§: 16, Jobs§§: 104, Jobs§§§: 8.
      Demand Satisfied: R§: 5,000, R§§: 5,000, CO§§: 80,000
      Landmark Effect:   +120 over 36 tiles
      Pollution:                 Air 6 over 2 tiles, Water 1 over 3 tiles, Garbage 29 over 0 tiles
      Power consumed:  92 MwH
      Water consumed:  184 Gallons/Month
      Bulldoze Cost:        §9,140
      NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

This download contains TWO file types in two separate folders; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos or Mashty's night-mods) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
      You must choose only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. 
      If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
      DEPENDENCIES:
      To ensure proper functionality, make sure the following files are in your plugins:

*BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1180)
      *BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790)
      *BSC Texture Pack - Cycledogg V01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=101)
      *BSC Texture Pack - BSC Textures Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=90)

NOTE ABOUT PARKING TEXTURES:
      Sadly, ongoing negative comments from a few members of the community continue to force me to add this ridiculous disclaimer. This building has internal underground parking, and I have not used parking textures. If you wish to add parking textures, please do so using the lot editor.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.
      Thanks.
    • By Fantozzi
      First: Thanks to tyberius06 for sorting all the dependencies out and creating the nice and comfortable html-readmes. I wouldn't have uploaded these without his support.

The House of Philosophy
      It's a relot of Kleinen Plalais by debussyman - it's an educational lot with the function of a small university. If you plop this in your city don't wonder if your football players start to name themselves 'Socrates' or 'Schopenhauer'.
      4x3 University - plop cost $800 Student Capacity: 444 Maintenance Cost: 777  
      Dependencies:
      Kleinen Palais - main building
      BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol 01
      BSC MEGA Props - Misc Vol01
      BSC MEGA Props Misc Vol02
      BSC MEGA Props D66 Vol01
      BSC MEGA Props D66 Vol02
      BSC MEGA Props CP Vol01
      Porkie Props Vol1 - European Street Accessories
      VIP RuralPack
      Fantozzi Audio Essentials v1.3 (if downloaded before: please get latest version (8/22/17) and delete older ones)
      BSC Textures Vol 01
      BSC TexturePack Cycledogg V 01b

Gouvernal Palace
      Is a relot of Legislative Council of Hong Kong by Amthaak. It works mainly like a landmark supporting office jobs (monuments effect + medium caps relief) but it's found in the rewards menu.
      5x4 reward, promotes office jobs Building costs: $ 42,000, Maintenance Fee: $ 175.  
      Dependencies:
      Legislative Council of Hong Kong - main building
      Fantozzi Audio Essentials v1.3 (if downloaded before: please get latest version (8/22/17) and delete older ones)
      BSC MEGA Props - MJB Vol01
      BSC MEGA Props - MJB Vol02
      BSC MEGA Props CP Vol01
      BSC - VIP girafe lindens
      MAS71 PropPack Vol03
      Nams Props Pack Vol 2
      Porkie Props Vol1 - European Street Accessories 
      SimFox Chestnuts
      VIP RuralPack
      BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol 01
      BSC Textures Vol 01
      BSC Textures Vol 03
      BSC TexturePack Cycledogg V 01b

USAGE
      Download and unzip the files. Place the folder named 'fantozzi' in your plugins folder. Consider to use the readme folder in a way the foldername suggests. Have fun.
      NOTE
      I just threw stuff together on a lot. Please consider to endorse the original creators as they did the main work.

Season's Greetings!

xmas popup.jpg

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections