True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

South Asia

v8ZIWJH.jpg

Our journey to South Asia begins with a trip to the countryside - and the timeless rural beauty of the many tea plantations that dot the Sri Lankan countryside. The ones near Kandy are perhaps the most well-known - they've been making the famed Ceylon Tea ever since the British first colonized this area back in the 1800s. As the hillsides climb higher and higher, the strength of the tea leaves increases accordingly - making this one of the strongest teas in all of South Asia. No trip is complete without having a cup first - so make sure you make a stop over at the Ceylon Tea Museum first.

qDtDP5o.jpg

The Indian Ocean is one of the most beautiful places on the planet - and it doesn't get much better than the thatched roof resorts of the Maldives. This island country south of India is world-renowned for its sunny weather, pristine beaches, and stunning resorts - from the diving, snorkeling, and windsurfing, there's always something exciting to try out.

r5tpDgx.jpg

We now move into India, and our first destination is the famous Ganges River in Varanasi. This is the most sacred river to the Hindus, who make up 80% of India's population - and by cleansing in it, they wash away their sins. All sorts of religious ceremonies and festivals are held here - and for any Hindu, it's a lifelong ambition to make it here at least once. Sadly though, modern times have been tough on the river - pollution levels have reached staggering heights, and it's now one of the most polluted waterways in the world. An ambitious cleanup project is planned in the upcoming years - but little progress has been made thus far.

N36tQBo.jpg

We move north to the capital of New Delhi - where you'll find some of the most stunning buildings in all of India. Our next stop is one of the most unique structures in all of India - the Lotus Temple. This flower shaped Baha'i House of Worship has become quite a famous attraction - with over 70 million tourists visiting since it was first opened back in 1986. Under Baha'i law, all religions and faiths are welcome here - making it a popular social event place in the city.

0f3wlIm.jpg

Wanting a centerpiece for his new capital, Indian king Shah Jahan had the particularly impressive Red Fort built in Delhi from 1639 - 1648, which contains a massive complex surrounded by towering red walls. This grand fort holds pavilions, offices, workshops, mansions, expansive gardens, and just about anything else a king could ever need - no wonder he inscribed the words "If there is a paradise on Earth, this is it" inside.

(full size link here)

mCm3YPC.jpg

Our last stop is the most iconic landmark in all of India - none other than the world famous Taj Mahal. Wanting a grand tomb for his wife, Indian emperor Shah Jahan built the Taj Mahal in Agra from 1631 - 1648 and covered it with gleaming white marble - and to this day it remains one of the most marvelous buildings on the face of the planet. Starting in 2004, tourists have been able to view it at night - making for one of the most magical experiences imaginable.

azzdHM8.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Replies for "South Asia (Preview)"

@TekindusT  Thanks for the kind words! *:)

@_Michael  Glad you enjoyed it - thanks!

@Jeffrey500  Thank you! There may be another preview coming.. so keep your eyes peeled *;)

@kelistmac  Thank you *:)

@mike_oxlong  Thanks for the comment! *:)

@tariely  Thanks for the kind words *:thumb:Yeah, I paid very close attention to that on the plantation pic, glad you liked it *:)

@Akallan  Thanks for the nice comment!

@raynev1 Thank you, glad you liked it!

@kschmidt Thanks for the comment! And good catch too, they certainly do seem to share some similarities!

@Golhbul Thank you! Usually when I'm doing exotic updates like this one and others, there just won't be enough existing BATs to make it work - so sometimes I'll have to find some custom models to import into the game with 3dsmax (3d warehouse and cadnav.com are good places to start). More recently, I have been BATing various models w/ 3dsmax - I intend to do this for a number of future updates as well and I hope that I'll be able to get them to a stage where I can release some of them in some sort of pack. As for the Red Fort scene, I sorta combined both methods that I listed above - I started off with some basic models from 3d warehouse, made a number of modifications to them, and I then I made all of the various road pieces and whatnot from scratch with BAT.

And finally, big thanks to @Fantozzi, @RandyE, @_Michael, @Pluispixel, @MushyMushy, @v701, @Jeffrey500, @mrsmartman, @CT14, @Yarahi, @kelistmac, @Artimus, @mike_oxlong, @Manuel-ito, @tariely, @Akallan, @raynev1, @Jolteon, @kschmidt, @nos.17, @scotttbarry, @Ducio, @bobolee, @Elenphor, & @svenson for all the likes!

14 Comments

Recommended Comments

Beautiful as always.  I'm lucky enough to have traveled around India recently and you've of course done a great job recreating it's scenes! Awesome job on the Taj Mahal, especially the two tombs on the side that I'm assuming you recreated from scratch?  I really admire Mughal architecture, art, history, and the projects under Shah Jahan are certainly breathtaking, not to mention what a story he had in regards to his imprisonment by his son!  Excited to see what you cook up next.  Cheers :thumb:

Share this comment

Excelent work as always! I like how you made those tea plantations. Must've taken weeks to plop all those MMPs *:D

And the Taj Mahal scene looks gorgerous! Proof that the original Maxis models look nice in their own right.

Share this comment

If True Earth doesn't get at least a Trixie I'm leaving Simtropolis. I don't think I'm taking a lot of risks by saying that.

An amazing job as always I can't wait to see more!

Share this comment

Phenomenal as has become the norm. I particularly liked the shot from the Maldives as it's one of the places on my bucket list to visit. Definitely going to stay on one of the villas on the water, one day.

Share this comment

Thanks, the tour is top quality as usual, and the pictures are exceptionally brilliant, sharp and bright.  Nice work!

Share this comment

thank you for an interesting tour and I hope to see some of your buildings become available    they are quite beautiful

Share this comment

Oh, Yes... Ganges River - super-super !!! 

Real objects from SC4 and great creative work get us great results *:thumb:

Share this comment