CorinaMarie

C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

129 posts in this topic Last Reply

Amazing method Cori! It looks like i could use this method to create come really good mountains for future map. It looks like it's 100% guaranteed to work, and that's something a lot of people could get behind. Is this the method you use to create maps? (I just can't build w/o flat terrain tho.)

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, TheLynx99 said:

Amazing method Cori!

Thank you! Thank you! It does my heart good to hear that. :)

1 hour ago, TheLynx99 said:

Is this the method you use to create maps?

Yep. So far it's the only method I've used, however, my earlier ones were not nearly as refined. I just recently came up with the idea of the Blur to smooth out the choppiness.

Great work with this tutorial. Just had a read through and it looks like a very cool method for map creation. I'm sure it could lead to all sorts of possibilities -- using different images and techniques, etc. It does have an element of randomness, which would make each map unique. Maybe this could also form a possible challenge idea for next year... :golly:

Good work, this tutorial is easy to read, follow and understand.  I think the method you've described actually allows a lot more creativity than the map making programs, it puts the user in the front seat, from selecting a picture or photographing one, to then manipulating the image to make it useful, and finally adding their own creative touch by adding rivers/streams.    So in the final result, the region one plays really is their own.   The element of randomness is as natural as what I think is normal in any creative process.   

This is a really neat and resourceful idea. I'm not very creative/artistic so I could never come up with a landscape that was convincingly realistic on my own. Grayscaling clouds actually makes for a pretty natural-seeming geography. Thanks for sharing!

• Original Poster
  • Thank you all for your kind words and for the Likes on my first post ! :blush:

I just now edited in a Further Refinement section near the end of post 1 which addresses changing the overall elevations of the map with a few simple mouse clicks.

Also, feel free to post samples of what you make using this technique. I'd love to see what everyone else creates. ;)

• Original Poster
  • On 28/08/2016 at 11:26 PM, Benvoliorus said:

Simple and brilliant like any genius thing!

IKR! *:D Er... Wait. I mean, D'aww, thank you. *:blush:

So, this morning these clouds were begging to be shot as the Sun was waking up:

33-P9010008.jpg

I did the following in GIMP:

1. Cropped to get rid of that telephone pole and wires.
    2. Converted it to grayscale.
    3. Scaled it to 769 x 769 pixels.
    4. Adjusted Contrast to +15.
    5. Added Gaussian Blur of 10.0.
    6. Rendered in game.

And here's what it looks like:

34-Black-Clouds-RVx.jpg

Then I painted Maxis Trees all over it:

35-Black-Clouds-RVT.jpg

I'd love to see what other peeps create using this method. Post them in this thread. *;)

(I've attached the Config.bmp and my final grayscale in case anyone would want them.)

config.bmp

Gray 3.bmp

Nice tutorial , It is somewhat like what I did a long time ago (not the tutorial , but a map . For personal use ) That was three PC's ago or I would have posted an image . I used MS Paint and Landscape Designer . Your tutorial is straightforward and easy to understand , even a dork like me could follow the directions and have a new map to play SC4 . Nice job and the maps turned out pretty good too . You have inspired me to pull out the old camera and give it a try . :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • On 18/10/2016 at 2:16 AM, Yum said:

I made a map!

Very nice! And when I saw your water was not default Maxis I wondered if you entered every tile to update it or if that happened automatically. So, having finished my Terrain Shoppe, I decided to do another map.

I discovered another cool thing to do when editing the grayscale image. Use the Burn Tool to improve the river banks. (See my edit near the bottom of post 1 for details.) Here's what I created:

31_40-P9280003-3-08-RV.jpg

32_41_45-P9280003-3T-RV.jpg

*:)

Edit: Per @BugeyedDragon's request, I've attached the grayscale and my config.bmp to this post. Note that I'm not using any height mod so the default scale of 3.0 is how mine was rendered.

P9280003b Gray08.bmp

config.bmp

4 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Very nice! And when I saw your water was not default Maxis I wondered if you entered every tile to update it or if that happened automatically.

Thanks!  Yeah, you know, sometimes the rendered tiles sow up automatically on the region map, sometimes I have to go into the tile and exit before it shows up as not a plain tile in region view, and I've even seen a few times that some tiles are rendered while others are plain.  However, when the tiles do show up automatically as rendered in the region, they do show up with the correct water mod already active, so I don't have to go into city view.  I know you know which mod I use, but for everyone I haven't told yet, that's Pegasus' Hawaiian Holiday water mod and HD White Sands beach, found in the Water Shoppe and Beach Shoppe respectively.

Hi Cori

As I was writing up that tutorial/custom content article I looked up your map making thread here.  Good Grief how did you make the leap from clouds to map making. :???:

because the connection is so obvious (not!)  As someone else said "genius" idea .  This is such a unique way of making maps I thought I would try my hand at it. However I am quite clueless about that config.bmp file....

Currently just started a downloaded map with 8 medium tiles that has flat terrain along with mountains and rivers.  I tried others but they were either too "lumpy" or very large city tiles, and since I play rural/small towns/farms not appropriate for me.  Your cloud map making has possibilities I would be interested in pursuing.

So, attached is a picture of  the green sandbox region, medium tile size, I use.   I've been terraforming the tiles as I need to for my towns/farms and the medium tiles are the right fit for me.     Can I copy over the config.bmp file to the new region I create with your method?  And can I change the size from 16 tiles to perhaps 8 medium tiles...Sorry I'm in the dark about how to actually create the config.bmp.  

I need the "dummies" instruction version.:rofl:

Hope you or someone else can direct me to the appropriate thread/instruction so I can read up on the "How To Do This" otherwise your instructions are very clear and easy to follow.   I'm just not computer savy enough to "get it".

Green_Sandbox_Medium.jpg

• Original Poster
  • On 09/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, BC Canuck said:

Good Grief how did you make the leap from clouds to map making. *:???:

It started in this thread. Where I made this map:

42-13-CL2.jpg

And at the time I was really happy with it. Then @T Wrecks gave me some good advice in this post (same thread). So I subdued the choppiness a bit and made this map using clouds:

43-Clouds-11-RV.jpg

Then a couple months (and several maps later) I had an inspiration to add Gaussian Blur and I re-did that first map and made this one:

44-CL2.2-RV.jpg

Then a couple weeks later I wrote this tutorial. Next I started using a Slope Mod trying to make more realistic looking cities and I found even the map above was tedious to work on. So then I had another inspiration and came up with using the Burn Tool along the sides of the river banks and applying a lot more Blur. That's when I made this map (also pictured a couple posts up):

32_41_45-P9280003-3T-RV.jpg

On 09/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, BC Canuck said:

I play rural/small towns/farms

Me too! Here's one of the tiles in the above map:

46-Mosquitoville-Yr-201.jpg

It's still a work in progress as my imaginary story line is the farms were laid out somewhat haphazardly except for the roads that will connect the tiles. No thought is given to where bridges will go as that's centuries in my Sim's future. Once I've filled my region with these farms and illiterate Sims, I'll then begin small centers with some industrialization. Public outcry over the pollution to their once pristine air will result in an elementary school and a move toward manufacturing. Right now I'm playing just for the fun of creation. I've already proven to myself I can handle the vanilla income vs cost and build bigger stuff, so now I'm playing more as if scripting my imaginary movie and so I've written my own cheat which gives me five times more income from the farms. This lets me have complete vanilla fire station coverage.

Anyhow, sorry. I got sidetracked there cause I'm having so much fun in my game.

On 09/11/2016 at 9:06 PM, BC Canuck said:

Can I copy over the config.bmp file to the new region I create with your method?  And can I change the size from 16 tiles to perhaps 8 medium tiles

Yep, you can copy any valid config.bmp into your new region. Just do the math to make sure the grayscale cloud image is the right size for the config.bmp you use. And yes, you can make the config.bmp whatever size you like. So, for 8 medium tiles you could use a 4x8 pixel config.bmp all painted green. Or a 6x6 painted green except 4 pixels in a square being not red, green, or blue to get just 8 tiles or paint it all green and you'd have 9 medium tiles arranged as 3 x 3. I believe it's explained pretty well in Config.bmp: How to Make It Yours.

If it's still unclear after reading that, just let us know and we'll see if we can explain it another way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RandyE
        This is my contribution to the STEX 20K file mark.   Its just a simple landmark file of the Maxis Quantum Dish.   Plop it in appreciation of all the files that came before.
        EDIT: JUST VERIFIED. STEX Files 20,000  Yiiiiiiiiiihaaaaaa!!!!! 
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        This download now has 3 versions of the Quantum Dish. The original is the 1x1 Landmark found at the top of the LM menu. The LM is a functional industrial lot (stats below).   The 2nd version is a 1x1 (non-functional) Park found in the Parks Menu.   The Park lot can be used to place anywhere on a map without needing road and power connections and will not dilapidate.    The LM and Park lots are identical but can be differentiated by clicking on the lot with the query tool. 
        The stats for the 1x1 Park lot are the same as for the Open Grass Area park with light park effect and negligible pollution.
        On the morning of February 10, 2017 I noticed the counter was at 19,999 and I had been working on making a functional landmark from the Maxis Quantum Dish.  I quickly threw together a zip-file to upload so I could claim the fame of having the 20,000th upload to the STEX.    I've further developed this download, adding 2 more Quantum Dish lots and a Simtropolis lamp-post sign. 
        The 13x2 Simtropolis Lamp-post sign is a hand-printed souvenir for fans and colleagues of Simtropolis.  It is found in the Parks menu.
        Quantum Dish 3x3 Network Roundabout
        This lot is lavishly gardened and lit with lamps.  Each side of the lot is connected to the street network so cars will pass through and drive around the roundabout.  The street overlay textures are included in the folder with the lot.  These may be used in other lots but references to the textures should be maintained to prevent duplicate loading of the textures.  If another lot uses the textures a message should be included instructing to delete multiples of the same .dat file. 
        Landmark Effect: 25 over 15 tiles
        Park Effect: 15 over 20 tiles
        Pollution: Negligible
        Quantum Dish 1x1 Landmark Lot
        STATS:
        Lot Size: 1x1
        Type: High-Tech Industrial Machinery Building
        Lot based on Big Ben 1x1 Landmark.
        Query: Industrial, Quantum Dish
        Query Sound: Machine Lot
        Menu Icon: Landmark Menu, purple background.
        Jobs:  High-Tech 84
        Wealth: High
        Monthly Cost: 0
        Monthly Income: 20
        Plop Cost: 20
        Bulldoze Cost: 0
        Landmark Effect: 40 over 20 tiles
        Park Effect: 10 over 20 tiles
        Mayor Rating Effect: +7 over 100 tiles
        Power Consumed: 20 MWh
        Water Consumed: 20 Gallons
        Air Pollution: 0 over 0 tiles
        Water Pollution: 1 over 2 tiles
        Garbage: 2 over 0 tiles
        Flammability: 4

INSTALL:
        Choose which lots you want to use by folder name, delete any not used and delete the readme and preview html files.
        Place The 'Quantum Dish STEX 20K V3' folder in your user Plugins folder.
        In Windows the user Plugins folder is found in \<username>\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        No external dependencies, Maxis night-lighting on Simtropolis Lamp-post Sign and 3x3 Networked Quantum Dish

• By Belfastsocrates
        @Bipin requested I upload these concrete retaining walls as he no longer has access to the files. These walls are solely the creative output of Bipin and I take no credit whatsoever nor assume responsibility for them. 
        Please bear in mind these walls were never released as a 'final version' and should be considered a test/draft version and treated as such by members.
        The walls contain a variety of retaining wall pieces as you can see from the images. I have only tested them with 10, 12 and 14 metre-high embankments and as you can see from the image the 'boutiques' entrance is best suited to use at 10m. Placing the corners can take a bit of trial and error so be patient, remember these are not a final release. 
        Walls should appear in the Misc Transport menu
        Redistribution of these files is forbidden without the express permission of @Bipin

Lot Files include;
        bipin_retainConcreteSD_1_1ee99f0a bipin_retainConcreteSD_1_sidewalk_1ee9f7d2 bipin_retainConcreteSD_2_9ee99fd4 bipin_retainConcreteSD_3_9ee99ff7 bipin_retainConcreteSD_bee98991 bipin_retainConcreteSD_corner_bee9a93d bipin_retainConcreteSD_corner_sidewalk_5ee9f84a bipin_retainConcreteSD_corner_sidewalk2_fee9f8f8 bipin_retainConcreteSD_UB_dee9e094 bipin_retainConcreteSD_UB_sidewalk_1ee9f76c bipinboutique_2_5eebe300  
        Dependencies required  - 
        PEG-MTP Texture Pack Volume 2

• By tariely
        TL-Obelisk Place 4x5 (seasonal)

This one is all my own – but couldn’t have been without Vnaoned beautiful obelisk. And it is for Dreadnought, who loves the Needle. (Bonus : it can be combined with several other of my parks and plazas using the same pavement texture).
        Many thanks to my technical gurus, Rsc204, Kosc and Dreadnought. And especially Rivit, who lighted my SC4world. Also the willing victims of the beta-tests, RobertLM78, Handyman and, again, Dreadnought. And the guys and gals on the forums (Twalsh, Matias93, Fantozzi…). We need help when we begin sneaking a peek under the hood of SC4. That the community is always willing to lend a hand is a constant and pleasant reassurance for us noobies.
        Pollution : Air -16
        Landmark effect : mag.100 ; radius 10
        And this is for SC4 Rush Hour...

BSC MegaProps_CP_Vol01.dat
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1180
        BSC MegaProps_swi21_Vol01.dat
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=403
        BSC Textures vol.02.dat
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=638
        DEL_People MMP.dat
        in VIP Delecto Ploppable People
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3448
        FrankU General Essentials v1.dat :
        in BNL essentials v.1.2
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28639-bnl-essentials/
        Nams Props Pack Vol.1.dat
        Nams Props Pack Vol.2.dat
        In Nams Props Pack 1 & 2 :
        https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/1780
        https://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads/view/1882

NDEX Base Texture Set 1.dat
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11617-ndex-texture-set-volume-1/
        PEG PPond Kit 102
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21661-peg-ppond-kit/
        VIP-Vnaoned Propspack vol01
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2979
        wmp_garden_props02.dat : see down the list on
        http://workingman-productions.co.uk/downloads/wmp_props.asp
        wmp_power_props01.dat
        in WMP Power Lots :
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26376-wmp-power-lots/

RVT_ParkLights2.dat (included)
        zLightCones_RVTNite.dat (included)
         Depending on your using or not a Light Replacement Mod, the lighting will be slightly different, but There Will Be Light. (If using LRM and finding your own lights too dim, take out zLightCones_RVTNite.dat).
        And NB : to see the trees, you must let the game run for a few months
      • By BLANKBLANK
        Entry 1:

So I've been playing SC4 for about ten years now and most of that time was spent with the vanilla version of the game. Then a year ago I saw videos of various mods and whilst aware of their existence I was rather discouraged about using them for fear of their complexity.

Well after some disasters I finally learnt the art of building up a portofolio of plugins as well as managing them correctly. Over the last three months (after I had to remove all the plugins because I did a bad job with the management) I've downloaded about 3.6 GB of plugins: thousands of buildings, thousands more of props, NAM, SAM, X-ports, slope mods, maps, tree controllers, terrains, more utilities plus civic facilities, parks and all sorts.

It's almost overwhelming the choices you have and I've only explored at most a third of all the content I have downloaded. So as such I am still experimenting with my new toys and this is why this CJ is going to be more like a scrapbook. There is no coherent narrative just various pictures of my cities, furthermore there will be all kinds of quirks, oddities, blips and bloopers as I mess around with this huge palette.

I had various requests from my SimCity 2013 CJ about starting a SC4 CJ so here it goes. May I introduce the city of Tamboria (in bits and pieces!).

This is part of Eastern Tamboria.

Here is Tamboria's primary power plant, this is also an important regional power plant as well.

And of course no city can function without an oil terminal...

... or function without substations either. It took me a while but I finally found a substation prop configuration which I found aesthetically pleasing.

While NAM is pretty darn cool, I think the rail catenaries are totally awesome!

Tamboria's main hospital, centre right..

Of course no city is complete without its recreational facilities. Behold Eastern Tamboria's sport's arena which serves both for American football and for track athletics as well.

Complimenting the mayor's generous provision of recreational areas are the mini-parks.

Whilst designated green areas are yet another means for overworked Sims to stretch their feet.

Last, but not least, is the downtown WTC area.

Well that is it for this first entry. The next couple of entries will explore Tamboria more deeply, so stay tuned!

Apologies if the interface appears in some pictures or the grid is present, this is because in my enthusiasm to take snapshots I sometimes forget to minimize the interface. Please note that I will only be posting ONE entry per week for this CJ as I have very little spare time.

Special thanks to all those batters, lotters and modders who have given hardcore SC4 players a mind-blowing plethora of new features. Finally God bless grunge concrete and the grunge roads of paeng's!
      • By MushyMushy
        I present to you Kogyo Waste Services, a neat little waste-handling company. If you need some trash gone, you know who to call....
        ---
        KWS is a fully-batted building/lot combo that fills a 3x3 I-D lot. It can help break up the monotony with its characteristic yellow roof and parking lot filled with yellow trucks. The building is a partially accurate rendition of this small industrial building in Osaka:

Maxisnite and Darknite are both supported, and the bat features TruNite lights. Download the appropriate version depending on whether you use SimFox's Day and Nite Mod (or an equivalent) or not.
        -Installation: Simply unzip the the downloaded .zip file into your plugins folder. The aren't any extraneous files in the folder (like images) so you don't have to worry about deleting anything.
        -Building Plop: The building is listed as MM_JPN_ID_3x3_KogyoWaste in the Building Plop window. This requires Buggi's Extra Cheats DLL. Keep in mind that plopped industrial buildings will not generate freight truck automata.
        ---
        All stats automatically generated by PIMX.

Many thanks to the various people who have helped me along the way, and I hope you enjoy this!
        -Mushy