nos.17

nos.17 Lot Development

349 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recently I acquired all of Bobbo662's fantastic unreleased BATs and their unfinished lots (I cannot thank him enough). Unfortunately, due to RL issues, he was forced to quit and leave most of his amazing bats without decent lots. After talking with him, he was generous enough to just hand them all over to me to relot and upload. Anyways, after a new computer and some Lot Editor problems, I have finally "finished" some lots enough to show here.

Well...without further ado...I present...

B62 Remastered (all BATs by Bobbo662)
Green links have been completed and point to the uploaded file here on the STEX.
Purple links signify recent updates, bug fixes, or uploads
Orange links are under construction.
Black links have not been started as of the last update.

nos.17 Essentials

Albertsons 60s Retro Grocery Azul's Bistro Bar & Grill BJ's Wholesale
Bradlees a Caldor Circuit City
Circuit City 70s Cub Foods Culvers
CVS Dominos Pizza Giant Food 60s Retro
High's HyVee Supermarket Kmart Supercenter
Little Caesars Lowe's Home Improvement Lowe's IRM
Pick'n Save Pizza Hut Red Robin
Red Roof Inn Safeway 60s Safeway 70s
Sam's Club Saverite Sears Grand
Service Station Mega Pack ShopKo Target SuperCenter
UStor Verizon Substation Walmart Supercenter (Style 01)
Walmart Style 02 Walmart Style 03 Wawa Gas & Car Show
Winn Dixie    

on001222 Relots
Thai Wah Tower
Lotus Temple Relot
Arnorma Hotel Relot

IRM (Industrial Revolution Mod) Remakes
IRM: Distribution Center & Freight Yard
Lowes Distribution Center (IRM Version)

Contest Entries
VIP French Pavillions (SC4D 9th Birthday Lotting contest entrant; BAT by vnaoned)
S3-03-C : CM Centre Commercial
S3-06-C : City Tourism & Information Kiosk
S3-10-C : Andrews Fashion Centre
S3-15-C : Streetside Parking (SSP)
S3-18-C : Palacio Cristal
S3-20-C : Target Supercenter Complex

Other Projects
HBS Lowes
(BAT by Heblem)
Mattb325 UK Retailers Revisited (BAT by mattb325)
Staples Center (BAT by dmscopio)
El Cristo Redentor (BAT by Travis and RDQ)

For the original, high quality images of all uploaded content, please visit my Compendium of Creations.

More may come in the future... who knows?  *;)

• Original Poster
  • I suppose this first update will be where I last left off at Simpeg: with the new Domino's and Giant Foods lots.

Domino's:
    gHbPnVC.png  eHuB508.png

The 2x2 one on the left is growable and the 3x2 lot on the right is a plopable. The texture glitch on the 2x2 by the front sign has also been fixed.

GT0WMJN.png  4Vp867a.png

I have also created alternate versions utilizing girafe trees: Honey Locust & Birches.

Giant Foods:
    gI5LFee.png pnbcPDM.png

hutvQIi.png 0jMi7fR.png

Yes, that's true. And very productive!

I know very well how much a lot can do to make a BAT look its best, so I really welcome efforts like yours, nos.17. :) Looks like you got tons of work cut out for you - happy lotting and keep 'em coming!

• Original Poster
  • Ok everyone. I have finished Giant Foods and it is ready for upload. However, something really strange has happened.

Apparently, my lot for Cub Foods has become corrupted. The lot does not show up either in game or with LEProp. Opening it in reader, I found that all of the appropriate entries are supposed to be there, but all of the values have been changed to 0 for everything.

EqXCSgk.png

Any ideas? I was just looking at the lot about 15 min earlier before I noticed it was not functioning anymore. It really isn't a big deal to rebuild the lot; I am just curious as to what yall think happened.

AweNG50.png

^^^ The DIR file.

• Original Poster
  • Which version of iLive's reader do you use?

It's v 0.9.3.

I've also asked over at Simpeg what people think and people said it has happened to them before. Paeng said it could be due to removing textures, but I wasn't doing that.

I've had this happen - but dang, I don't remember when or why  :pullhair:

Might be you missed re-indexing... or, did you pull any textures (e.g. to make a 'transparent' lot)? I'm thinking it's something to do with the index...

So I don't know why this happened, but its really not a big deal: seeing as I have plenty of screenshots, rebuilding the lot shouldn't be too hard.

The trees are fine IMO. :) Some lights on the parking lot may be worth a thought... other than that, I'd say you really have a knack for lotting! I'd also like to echo 9gruntsand1hammer's remark about the trailer - props sticking out of the lot's perimeter might become a problem depending on the surroundings.

The shadow problem puzzles me... you're not using an invisible dummy as the actual building and the visible structure as a prop, are you?

Edit: It seems there are no shadows on this building here either. Why could that be?

In the Reader, you will need to change the 'Is Ground Model' property to 'true' (0x01.. not 0x00) for the building prop or model.

(this is true for all the buildings that don't show a shadow)

• Original Poster
  •  

Edit: It seems there are no shadows on this building here either. Why could that be?

In the Reader, you will need to change the 'Is Ground Model' property to 'true' (0x01.. not 0x00) for the building prop or model.

(this is true for all the buildings that don't show a shadow)

Thank you Simcoug! That fixed the problem exactly. As for the overhanging trailer, it already is butting into the building a significant amount; about 1/2 the trailer would be hidden if there is no overhang, so I think I'll leave it for now. I'd also rather not depart from a relatively standard 6x6 lot size to 6x7, and IMO a 6x8 size would give a parking lot too large for the relative size of the building, so 6x6 with a small overhang it is.

• Original Poster
  • Well, now that finals are over and Thanksgiving break is here, I have (finally :whew:) had some time to make some progress on new lots.

Here's what I have for HyVee:
    hSYv10d.png  lATHoiu.png

Also, I was talking to Bobbbo662 this past weekend and unexpectedly handed me even more lots he forgot to include earlier. There are three different sets of these highway signs, all different. This is the first:

pFcWtX1.png uNVgbQP.png

For these highway signs, I plan on making two different versions for each: one with the grown-green base used with the NAM pieces, and one with a transparent texture. Speaking of which, can anyone confirm the texture used with the NAM? Because I swear I am using 0x251c1000 in LE but it appears the park-green in-game. eusa_naughty.gif

Oh, and what are your thoughts on diagonal versions? If I rotated the model 45deg, and made even more lots, do you think they would be useful (eg. would yall use them)?

The texture is probably the low-wealh version in a group of three textures that together form one wealth-dependent set, i.e. depending on current wealth level of the lot, one of the three textures is chosen. The demonstrator lots you made here are probably based on a landmark/park lot, and these tend to have the wealth property set to "High Wealth", which will cause the game to switch up to this lush green texture. Changing lot wealth to "low" should do the trick.

IIRC, one of the BSC Mega Texture Packs (Vol.1, I think) also contains a wealth-independent version of that brown/green grass texture.

Are the highway signs tied to particular stores? I'm asking because theoretically you could turn them into a prop family to make them appear randomly whenever you plop the lot - this means you'd only need one lot, and if you were to offer a diagonal version as well, only two lots. That's probably more viable than 10 or 20 new entries in the already crowded landmarks or parks menu.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the reply T Wrecks. I am sorry i never posted it here but I have already figured that out with some help over at simpeg. The texture was indeed a wealth issue and all I needed to do was change the lot to low wealth. Since the signs are generally not tied to store (with a few exceptions), I am already in the process of making prop families. I agree - this would clear up a lot of space in menus, making each pack at most 4 lots: 2 different texture ortho and two different diagonal.

There was also talk about making these into MMPs, which I also do not object to - I just need to figure out exactly how those are made.

• Original Poster
  • HyVee is almost ready to upload, but first I need to fix a menu icon error...almost there.

Moving on, due to a request I saw somewhere, I have begun and finished working on the Super Target. It sure as hell is super, weighing in at 15x12 tiles. When creating the desc for the model, I accidentally created a growable CS$ version instead of a LM with jobs, so i suppose I might as well include both. Any last thoughts before I upload?

3XFtuOT.png

9JBfrH3.png

YGfxCc9.png

L8ynk58.png

Edit: Upon further examination, it seems that bobbo662 intended for there to be a second, even larger lot with the size of 21x18.  ohhh.gif  It is currently completely blank with nothing but a building but I was wondering if it would be worth using it. I envision something similar to the one I have completed but with a restaurant/gas station/bank/etc at the front by the street, similar to many shopping centers now. Thoughts...it'll be a lot of work, but I think it may turn out to be absolutely awesome.

So what about a plopable 21x18 MegaSuper Target?

I am also having trouble creating MMP's. Could anyone point to a tutorial other than the 3RR one here? Thanks for your help.

Love your idea for a much larger Target center 5 stars . The original design fails to showcase a true suburban shopping center I would love to see a Starbucks and a bank on your new design .

• Original Poster
  • Love your idea for a much larger Target center 5 stars . The original design fails to showcase a true suburban shopping center I would love to see a Starbucks and a bank on your new design .

Funny thing, that is exactly the plan for the Super-Mega Target, for lack of a better name.

In between my busy life with school and all that, I have made progress on the Super-Mega Target lot. Here are some teasers. As of now, It will contain a bank, Applebee's, and possibly an Abuelos too.

7rrPycX.png

nGTTQ1P.png

...And if you are interested, this is the inspiration: 
    BiyFSqI.png

Unfortunately, I have figured that this mega-lot will have to be split up into at least two parts. Based on my possibly flawed hex subtraction, I count that the lot has 481 objects already, out of 1279, and I haven't even started the main lot or details around the restaurants. The 21x18 size means that 378 objects are taken up by the base textures alone, so.... Because the llot is so large, and I am so pumped to make it look cool, I will include some more out-of-the-way dependencies here (in addition to my common ones), including BSC Mega Props Kevdan25 vol 1 as well as Neko props - a recently-discovered favorite of mine.

Anyways, I am just working on this in my free time, so do not expect this one for awhile. Stay cool yall. fishing.gif

• Original Poster
  • Not more than a few hours ago, I finished side one for Super-Mega Target. From the pics you will see it contains the Target, a bank and part of the gardens.

The overall view. Looks similar to the other Target, right?

losEWhZ.png  RKm5vxu.png

Here is where it starts to get different: IMB Bank:
    e8hpkpW.png

...and the main entrance. To the right of the pond is where the restaurants will go along with possibly another pond & nature decorations.
    hv5IHqP.png

Obviously I still need to place the lightpoles and lights. For those of you who are curious, the object count on that lot is 836. Between the lightpoles/lights and other details, I am looking at around 950, well below the 1280 limit.  smiley16.gif

I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions yall have.

4d378974492b3.image.jpgT

Maybe perhaps a Golden Corral for SimCity 4 because the Sims could use a Chocolate Wonderfall and a All-You-Can-Eat Steakhouse for SimCity. This would be very useful to SimCity and Simtropolis.

• Original Poster
  • Well this thread has been a little quiet lately, so I'll spice it up with an update. I don't know if yall follow my Simpeg thread, but I was tired of parking lot lights on my lots looking like flashlights, so I decided to use more diffuse lighting, and ended up using the Uniform Street Lighting Mod. A little while later the problem was brought up (and rightly so) that it would be an issue for those who do not use that mod, and instead use the LRM or something else. However, some extensive researching/testing I have  found that this may not be as big of an issue as was thought. It seems that the USL is based off of the LRM, so the props seem to use the same TGI's. Using a light cone prop from the USL on a lot, I then removed that entire mod and replaced it with LRM v4.0 and that light cone still appeared, albeit in a LRM style. If yall don't believe me or want to see how it works with your light mod (if you use a different one than USL or LRM4), then load up this simple test lot with the LE or SC4 and see how it looks with your setup.

Edit: Until I find a way to attach a file here to this message, you can find it here.

Anyways, side two of this MegaLot has been completed, and I have deviated quite a bit from my original plan. cjm3lf  gave me the idea to do a retention pond, so I added a large one in the back. Looking at the lot, I also decided that the 18x18 lot was looking a little bare with too much parking, so I added a Simgoober shopping center to it.

List of things to complete on this lot:

• Apparently i forgot to finish the retention pond, so that is first  shrug.gif
    • Finish populating the lot with cars
    • Add lightpoles + cones
    • Some landscaping in the garden divider located in the center of the parkinglot
    • Oh and I would also like some suggestions on how to do an entrance by the Giant Eagle store. It is awkward placement and I cannot quite get the overlays to be where I want them to be - the tile placement is off by like a 1/2 tile.
    • That's it, unless someone wants something else  icon_biggrin.gif

...And now, the pics...  jump4joy.gif
    First, an overview. can you tell where the two lots adjoin? No? Good.  high5.gif
    WCk3GlX.png

How about some closeups?   (as usual, click for their full glory!)

VVl352X.png

dkguifP.png

At this point in time, I'm feeling pretty good, and already brainstorming up a 3rd part to be put to the left of Target. This means we're looking at a New Year's rollout (possibly??) along with the regular Super-Target (definitely). I'd love to hear yall's feedback.

Peace & Happy Holidays!
    wreath-3.gif

Edited by nos.17  

• Original Poster
  • Well now I'm SUPER pissed. I just deleted every freakin exemplar from the first of the Super Mega Target Lots. thunderp.gif

That New Year's release is clearly not happening. Normally I am good with backing up files, but apparently this one is gone for good. **** That makes me all the more angry. At myself. Which is the worst. ...and it was all finished too - I was converting it from grow to plop in PIMX and apparently thought I was editing a different file. I guess I learned some lessons though - what a thoroughly crappy way to learn them too: on my largest project yet.

If yall havent noticed, both  the  up on the STEX. yay.

Sorry yall have to wait longer for this.

baghead.gif

Most Maxis streetlights automatically generate light cones at night. If you're looking for standalone light cones, PEG has made some for his MTP Super Resource Pack, including different colours. I've been using one of these light cones for my IRM stuff.

I'm sure this will be really far down your list, but I would love (more than anything) to see his Super Kmart revamped/expanded. While all of his work (and subsequently yours, too) is amazing, this one lot has always had me wishing the building was a little larger, to be more in-line with the sizes of say this Super Target, for example.

• Original Poster
  • I'm sure this will be really far down your list, but I would love (more than anything) to see his Super Kmart revamped/expanded. While all of his work (and subsequently yours, too) is amazing, this one lot has always had me wishing the building was a little larger, to be more in-line with the sizes of say this Super Target, for example.

Hmmm interesting. Are you sure that the Kmart was made by bobbo662? Because out of all the files that he gave me, there is no Kmart there. I will ask him about that. In the meantime, do you have the file? If you do, I could always relot it anyways. 

...And no its not low on my priority list. I only have one priority now, and its not a b62 one; all of the rest are evenly placed. I'm just going down my list alphabetically. I will generally put any requests on top.