nos.17

nos.17 Lot Development

349 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • First off, I'd like to apologize for not really keeping this thread current. That kinda is the point - to show off my progress on lots and I haven't really been doing that too well. Anyways...
    I've made progress on the Sears Grand Mega-Lot.   2571860.gif

I feel like the majority of the props are in place. I need to (obviously) finish the retaining pond pieces, finish up some custom SHK textures to place in some unique corners, and make some more improvements over by the Shell Station. Also, I need to finish with the parking lot lights and light cones. That may sound like a lot (and it kinda is), but it shouldn't take that long. The textures are done and only need to be put through SC4 Tool, and I know what I want to do for the final props, so everything should go smoothly.

Sears will be in two segments:
    The Top:
    i8IoWEn.jpg
    enkseX1.jpg

And the Bottom:
    yhkTlMz.jpg
    joa5fA7.jpg

Dude,that Lot looks epic.Some Areas around the Water almost look like MMPed and the ground Textures are well chosen.

The only point i would maybe change is some more variety for the parked cars.Not sure how far you can do it without putting unnessesary work into it and there is also noo need for placing 400 different Vehicles,but a little mixing would improve the look.

Besides that,amazing Work as always.

Looks really good nos! It's tough to get 2 separate lots to match up, but it looks like you're doing a fine job of it. :thumb:

---

The only point i would maybe change is some more variety for the parked cars.Not sure how far you can do it without putting unnessesary work into it and there is also noo need for placing 400 different Vehicles,but a little mixing would improve the look.

I didn't make the lot obviously so I can't say this with total certainty, but I'm pretty sure those props look the same because they're prop families. There are prop families for shk's cars which will add quite a bit of variety without putting you right at the prop limit, since it just randomly selects a car or group of cars for each set upon placement of the lot. I'm pretty sure nos has used these families in the past on his lots so I'm sure this one is no different.

The families are better anyway because that makes it look different each time it's placed. One could put a whole bunch of different individual car props on a lot's parking lot, but it would look identical every time it was plopped or grown in-game.

Edited by MushyMushy  

Yup, since the image is the LE Preview, such prop families don't show any randomisation, that will change when placed in-game. What makes SHKs pack so great is the timing of the props, the cars can change throughout a sim-day cycle giving the illusion of cars coming and going from the car park.

The pond/lake is a great feature, I can't believe how well you've blended the edges here, it's fantastic, are those indeed Diggis' Grass bank ponds like I think they are?

Edited by rsc204  

Looks really good nos! It's tough to get 2 separate lots to match up, but it looks like you're doing a fine job of it. :thumb:

---

I didn't make the lot obviously so I can't say this with total certainty, but I'm pretty sure those props look the same because they're prop families. There are prop families for shk's cars which will add quite a bit of variety without putting you right at the prop limit, since it just randomly selects a car or group of cars for each set upon placement of the lot. I'm pretty sure nos has used these families in the past on his lots so I'm sure this one is no different.

The families are better anyway because that makes it look different each time it's placed. One could put a whole bunch of different individual car props on a lot's parking lot, but it would look identical every time it was plopped or grown in-game.

Ah snap!I didn`t even think of it but you guys are of course right (now you can tell i haven`t worked with LE for a long Time...).Sorry,that`s my fault.

• Original Poster
  • The pond/lake is a great feature, I can't believe how well you've blended the edges here, it's fantastic, are those indeed Diggis' Grass bank ponds like I think they are?

Those are indeed none other than Diggis' Grass ponds. So far, I love the look, but it is proving quite difficult to get all the edges to line up over 3 different lots.

That pond + bridge combination is positively stellar! Well done! :D

It looks like there's still a nice chunk empty up top, and I'm excited to see what you throw in there.

Empty chunk. Hmmmm...  hmm.gif

I was thinking maybe a forested area, or maybe a fast food drive through. Not sure yet.

• Original Poster
  • Definitely the fast food drive. ;)

Would it be possible to have a version without the pond? For the users [like me] who don't use either PEG or Diggis'. 

Of course! I can upload two versions: one may be the "deluxe" version with Diggis' ponds and maybe some extra dependencies, and a second (smaller) lot without the ponds. Note that if there are no ponds included, you may not get any more fast food drives beyond what is already there. I am not positive yet....

Progress: Basically none, I'm sorry to say. I have been busy of late, and unfortunately SC4 is sorta low on the totem pole of priorities. I'll get it done...I promise.  ;)

• Original Poster
  • i vote for a fast food ,aybe a KFC Drive thru or a McDrive :D ?

Well, I've already done a McD's on the Target lot, and I really like the idea of a KFC. I'll start searching...

Edit: Here's the options:

pKWpjwA.png

From Top -> Bottom: A&W/KFC, Del Taco, Chick-Fil-A. Personally, I am partial towards the KFC or Chick-Fil-A. I think sims are in a chicken sorta mood. What do yall think?

Edited by nos.17  

Have to say, the lots in here look awesome. I think these are all about to begin to sprawl their way into my sprawlburbs. I have a bit to catch up - these look great! :D

I kinda like the Del Taco and the Chick-Fil-A ones. I'm not big on really saturated colors and the KFC one crosses me as too saturated (but that's just me). I'm partial to the Chick-Fil-A because it's an interesting shape (read: not square), and I like the Del Taco because it has a nice color palette overall and its roof adds some nice contrast.

Looking great overall! :thumb:

I'm liking the lots. Always a supporter. But one thing I might change if I were you are the textures, they look repetitive and maybe download a variety of cars. LBT and VIP have some great packs, you have to learn a little Spanish and French though.

My personal favorite would be Chick-Fil-A.

That Building looks less cartoony than the KFC,i know KFC`s are supposed to look like that but there is something about the clean and sleek Look i of the Chick-Fill-A i like more....

• Original Poster
  • After MushyMushy pointed out the saturation of KFC (thanks), I have become more inclined for the Chick-fil-A. Sooo, as the totals  stand:

A&W/KFC     Chick-fil-A
              3                         3
    Speak now or forever hold yer peace... 1120307.gif

Alternatively (I may have to experiment with this), I could have more versions. Since yall are pretty split and the two restaurants look to have about the same footprint, I could make them interchangeable. Just an idea...

• Original Poster
  • Can we have all three? :ohyes:

I think different versions, if it isn't too much work, may be a cool solution. :) 

How about a custom prop family? Plop until you get the restaurant you want; that way I don't have to make like 3 different versions of the same lot.
    8689994.gif

Can we have all three? :ohyes:

I think different versions, if it isn't too much work, may be a cool solution. :) 

How about a custom prop family? Plop until you get the restaurant you want; that way I don't have to make like 3 different versions of the same lot.
    8689994.gif

Perfect!

• Original Poster
  • Alright everybody. Sears Grand is now uploaded and live! Get it here!
    6142117.gif

I have, as per @art128, included two versions:

One for Diggis Ponds:
    gsJ2v9F.gif

...And one for non-Diggis users:
    a1EEOn9.gif

I hope yall have fun with it, because it was A LOT of work....

More to come soon.......

• Original Poster
  • Well, I've got one more for yall. Way back ago on page 3, a certain member (Hotwheeler) requested a certain lot (a Car Show). I had forgotten about it...until now. I just fixed numerous problems the lots had and put it up on the STEX.

Get the Wawa Gas Station & Car Show now!

5506747_orig.png