simmaster07

Revisiting Prop Pox and Prop Theory

98 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

On 18/01/2018 at 8:29 PM, jdenm8 said:

In theory it could happen to any type of subfile stored in the savefile, that stores overrideable objects, at decompression time.

Buildings, too? I assume it would happen if the buildings were glitched. I  don't have SC4 installed on this new PC yet but I have train traffic generators that turn out to be massive airport lots (most bigger than 16x16) and more recently one of the WMP Allotments got duplicated somehow, and I had another duplicate earlier. I think these lots might have identical IIDs, it appears the game reads the menu exemplars of one lot but the actual lot data of the other, at least for those giant airport lots in the train menu.

On the proper topic, it appears that the game reads some data twice and other data only once, hence the discrepancy. I've seen this happen in the Source engine, too.

5 hours ago, mertzigzag said:

An example I have, which annoys me to no end, is that whenever I newly plop one of the Maxis default City Halls, I get a random selection of very incorrect props on that lot that are replacing Maxis originals:

Common and well known issue, nothing related to Prop Pox in any way. It's to do with how Maxis used Flora, which is a special type of prop that was only intended for use with Trees. However, all MMPs must be set as Flora in order to work. Meanwhile, a "prop" on the City Hall lots will randomly show one of the installed Flora props upon the lot. Which works fine until you add non-plant based Flora into your game, whereupon such oddities can happen. A fix is attached to this post (SC4D, registration required), this removes the random prop selector from all three city hall lots.

I tried a different idea to get the props to reappear. The DLL fixed the poxed city according to SC4save. I then used iLives to delete the prop file. Loaded the game - and all the props disappeared. However, the save file increased in size. Upon looking it up in SC4Save, indeed the game rebuilt the prop file - however it 0'd all the IDs, and I mean all of them (400000+...). So... what is enabling the game to rebuild the prop file but to then 0 out all the ID's?

Holy S***, it works.

Before:

I had gone through and replaced many of the affected lots so it's not as pronounced on this map as it should be.  But you can notice some of the empty gashes running north and south.

LxuEiVl.png

C5YavZ0.png

After:

(A lot of this city is plopped, hence the lack of density among the props.)

MsRlyky.png

CK01XWl.png

This is AMAZING!  Can't thank you enough for figuring this out.  I have several city tiles with the pox, this is incredible.  Give this guy all the Trixies.

7 minutes ago, nycsc4 said:

Give this guy all the Trixies.

Indeed! And then make some more and keep giving them to him ad infinitum. I've never suffered prop pox, but seeing how quickly simmaster07 has advanced the community to a possible, and permanent fix is something to behold *:party:

31 minutes ago, mattb325 said:

I've never suffered prop pox, but seeing how quickly simmaster07 has advanced the community to a possible, and permanent fix is something to behold *:party:

Consider yourself lucky.  Probably the worst bug to affect the game.  Here's a bit more definitive example of a bad case of the pox:

Before, you can see the really big gashes here:

sg2zVZp.png

After:

xVmJwDh.png

Unreal.  Best day ever.  I thought I'd lost these cities for good.  Seems not to be the case so far.

49 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Done. Tho I don't know how to do the pretty colors.

Can you use HTML on it? Try to use 

<span style="color: #F5BC66;">Sim Master</span>

Or, you add .simmaster class if not already added.

.simmaster {
  color: #F5BC66;
}

And use 

<span class="simmaster">Sim Master</span>

to add colored "Sim Master".

16 minutes ago, Chief ZDN said:

Can you use HTML on it?

Thanks for the suggestion.

But no, I'm afraid HTML is not an option for Member Titles (I've tested this). Adding or editing the existing CSS class is possible, but it'd need to be defined on a per-user basis. Otherwise all titles would inherit and display the same formatting.

However, another way forward is to use a CML profile field, which do allow custom formats to be rendered.

4 hours ago, Tyberius06 said:

We could all submit @simmaster07 for Member of the Month too. Or Member of the Year? I'm certainly going to. :)

No peeking cause this stuff is usually secret:

Spoiler

MOTM 01-2018.jpg

And for Member of the Year, that sounds like a good Trixie award. Maybe something like Most Important Discovery/Innovation 2018. *;)

WHOA :thumb::bunny::LlamaTrixie2015::golly:

It works! Why was I skeptical?

90% poxed city

Before

oZ6FjsC.jpg

After

CTcs5ls.jpg

Before:

QDozVtm.jpg

After:

h6xlPWo.jpg

While it's not 100%, I can easily go about fixing the remaining poxed stuff. All of these walls looked like the poxed ones before, for example.

vftYVyk.jpg

I agree with that title. Sim Master.

@simmaster07

I cannot express my happiness in text, that's how crazy this is. Here's some emojis

:fire::100::ok_hand::joy: 

Haha, #Simcity4in2018 #Simcity44life

As I mentioned in Bap's topic those many years ago, the dedication and enthusiasm of the members of this community continue to overwhelm me. We have players who pass along their knowledge and suggestions. We have the custom content makers who share their very imaginative and game-changing creations. And we have those who dedicate themselves to doing something about those things that have been labeled 'things that can't be done.' simmaster07, you re definitely a member of the group at the pinnacle of that list. While the 'pox' may have affected relatively few,  you deserve the appreciation of us all.

18 hours ago, simmaster07 said:

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, everyone. I just fixed the experimental DLL leaking memory on every save — it was a small amount, maybe 1-2MB each time, but I wanted to fix it before marking this as stable. Given the feedback so far I've decided to mark this as stable now and upload a new version of SC4Fix to the STEX:

(If you're still using the experimental DLL, you're probably going to want to grab this one for the memory leak fix.)

We've certainly come a long way from April Fool's pranks :lol:

Uxp6mY7.png

You can thank me for that April Fool's prank...

I whispered sweet evils into Mandelsoft's ear...

And also... NICE ONE! You solved prop pox! I've had some battles with prop pox and I have gone to some insane lengths to avoid it...

@simmaster07 This will go down in history as the best cure for SimCity 4! I would be surprised if anyone can rival this work. This definitely outranks any of the work I have done being an active developer of the NAM team and all.

I think the whole community appreciates the effort you have put into these finds for SC4. I use to dread CTD's and Pox but you have definitely saved heartache of many people.

We really can't thank you enough to bring us a solution for this pox problem *:kitty:

-eggman121 (NAM Team Member)