True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Melbourne

i6CkS02.jpg

Melbourne is the capital of Australia's Victoria territory - and with nearly 5 million residents, it's also the country's second largest city. Known for being one of the world's most livable cities, it features plenty of things to do and see - from famous attractions, historic landmarks, and scenic sites. Today we'll be taking a look at this amazing city.

Our tour of the city begins with a scene from the past - Melbourne's Flinders Street Station in the early 1900s. Opening in 1910, it quickly became one of the city's most important and iconic railway stations - and the surrounding streets were constantly busy and bustling.

14tU7bD.jpg

Although not quite as hectic these days, the station still remains as one of the city's most important transportation hubs.

GPgGxRm.jpg

Located in Yarra Park, the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground has been home to the Melbourne Football Club since 1858 and Australia's national cricket team since 1877.

J5nXlCR.jpg

The 394 foot tall Melbourne Star ferris wheel can be found in the city's popular Dockland district and offers spectacular views of the city.

eVp9BJP.jpg

The Yarra Valley is just a short drive from the city and is known for producing some of Australia's finest wines.

vBzr9kh.jpg

A late summer evening in the suburbs of Melbourne.

WskMIeP.jpg

The Shrine of Remembrance is located in the city's King Domain parklands and was opened in 1934 as a tribute to honor the men and women of Victoria who served in World War I.

FLh2Y5b.jpg

The Arts Centre Melbourne is a performing arts center located in Southbank and features a number of important theatres and concert halls. The centre's distinctive spire rises over 500 feet tall and is extraordinary at nighttime.

AoGqhj4.jpg

Melbourne is a city with a wide range of architectural styles, from old to new. Here we see the famous Neoclassical State Library of Victoria - built in 1856, it's gone through a number of renovations through the years and has become one of the world's largest exhibiting libraries. Right across the street is the modern Melbourne Central Shopping Centre - complete with a 690 foot tall office tower, it's become one of the city's premier destinations.

Ce6D9Vi.jpg

A view of the eastern end of the CBD, featuring a number of the city's tallest skyscrapers such as Nauru House, 101 Collins Street, and 120 Collins Street.

U6NKuPq.jpg

One final mosaic showcasing the city's iconic skyline, featuring skyscrapers such as Eureka Tower and the Rialto Towers.

Z6dyFIo.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

I would like to take a moment to thank all the custom content creators who helped make this update possible! I'd like to give a special thanks to noahclem for giving me access to his amazing unreleased tram set - if you haven't seen the "NORO Trams and Textures" thread already, I'd highly recommend checking it out here *:) Big thanks to Reddonquixote as well for all his awesome Melbourne content released over the years and for the tram stops used in the update *:)

---

Previous Update: "Chicago"

lzGtvDM.jpg

Thanks to @CorinaMarie, @Androgeos, @mrsmartman, @Odainsaker, @Duco, @jakis, @mike_oxlong, @KOSMO*, @Toby Ferrian, @PaulSawyer, @ESP15, @Handyman, @Elenphor, @tariely, @Simmer2, @redfox85, @Dgmc2013, @RobertLM78, @The British Sausage, @bladeberkman, @bobolee, @Manuel-ito, @_Michael, @nRVOUS, @Jasoncw, @Allstillwell, @PHBSD, @willguitar100, @JP Schriefer, @kingofsimcity, @simmytu, @nos.17, @9gruntsand1hammer, @scotttbarry, @TekindusT, @dabadon5, @DavidDHetzel, @MilitantRadical, & @tribar for all the likes/comments!

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Oh yeah mate, that's a greeeeat job as always! I was waiting for a full view of Melbourne with Reddonquixote's BATs, pretyy nice! How about Brisbane for your next Australian city?

Share this comment

Well, it looks as though I don't need to visit Melbourne in person. Red Don Quixote would love to see this!

Share this comment

Pictures 4, 5 and 6 are the best. Picture 4 for a clever use of roads through an overhanging lot, picture 5 for a great rural/agricultural scene and picture 6 for using Heblem's lots which were designed for South American cities. Cool stuff.

Good job.

Share this comment

Awesome.....   up to the standard par.   :D

Australia would be cool to check out on day - made a few netpals from there now....

Share this comment

@TekindusT Thanks for the nice words as always! *:)

@Bastet69008 Thank you for the comment and kind words! I've given Brisbane some thought in the past, but it might be sorta difficult to do with only 2 good BATs that I know of from there. I might do some sort of "Australian Skylines" update though some day with a pic or two from Brisbane as well as a number of Australia's other big cities so we'll see. *;)

@tonyr Thank you very much! *:thumb:

@mike_oxlong Thank you very much! Hopefully he'll check the entry out soon *;)

@The British Sausage Thank you very much! Those were a few of my favorites as well, glad you enjoyed the update! *:thumb:

@RobertLM78 Thanks for the nice words! Australia would be amazing to visit one day *:)

@scotttbarry Thanks for the comment! I made sure to do plenty of night scenes to showcase those outstanding nightlights *;)

Share this comment

Hi Korver.  Wow, you do some absolutely stunning work with your cities.  Was curious to know where I could get the Arts Centre Melbourne at?  Such a unique structure that would enhance the current region I'm working on.

Share this comment

Glad you enjoyed the update @blade2k5!

The Arts Centre Melbourne is actually made up of three different BATs by Reddonquixote which you can find in the two uploads below:

Share this comment

Thanks Korver and thanks.  Can't wait until I can use this stunning BAT by one of my favorite batters.  As for your CJs, you sure have a lot of patience most people don't have.  The patience to learn how to daftly use terrain textures and then applying them the way you do that makes your landscapes look so darn real, as real as computer graphics can get. Image if we had quantum computers with a simulation game like this one?  I can only imagine.  Your stunning natural settings are as close as you can get with SC4.  You're photos from the game are the ones I would download and use as pc desktop backgrounds.

Share this comment

@blade2k5 Glad I was able to help *:thumb:

The nature related scenes are certainly time consuming and require a huge amount of patience - although I've used a wide variety of terrain mods and lots, much of what you see in my work is actually the result of heavy MMPing. It takes a while to get the hang of it but eventually it gets easier with practice.

Appreciate the nice words *:)

Share this comment