• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Chicago

lzGtvDM.jpg

Today, we're traveling to Chicago - the Windy City - to take a look at a number of this city's most iconic landmarks, from the past to the present.

We'll start off with a look at one of the city's great railroad terminals - Grand Central Station. Built in 1890, stations like these helped to transform the city into one of the most important railroad centers in all of North America. Here we see a scene from its heyday in the early 1930s - unfortunately due to dwindling passenger numbers, the entire station was razed in 1971.

62UTa2z.jpg

Completed in 1925, the 462 foot tall neo-Gothic Tribune Tower quickly became one of the city's most famous skyscrapers.

IYMWMKS.jpg

When it opened in 1930, the massive 4,000,000 square foot Merchandise Mart was the world's largest building and became an important retail destination.

HSEaMEp.jpg

We move forward to present day to visit the home of the 2016 World Series champion Chicago Cubs - historic Wrigley Field. Nicknamed "The Friendly Confines", this legendary ballpark has been home to the Cubs since 1914 and is well known for its ivy covered outfield walls, hand operated scoreboard, and rooftop bleachers across the street.

ZhJfK4a.jpg

Located in Grant Park, Adler Planetarium can be found overlooking the city's beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline. Since opening in May 1930, its been one of the city's most popular tourist attractions ever since.

kybwObO.jpg

In the suburb of Plano is where you'll find the famed Farnsworth House, located on the banks of the Fox River. Designed and constructed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe between 1945 and 1951, it's one of the area's most unique sights.

5gNLxJg.jpg

Situated on the shores of Lake Michigan, Chicago's 3,300 foot long Navy Pier has been one of the city's most popular attractions for nearly a century. Centennial Wheel stands nearly 200 feet tall and is an iconic part of the city's skyline.

FjrNzRx.jpg

A view of the Chicago Loop and River North districts. Trump International Hotel and Tower can be seen soaring above the skyline in the lower half of the picture - built in 2009, it's the city's 2nd tallest building and reaches heights of nearly 1,400 feet. Towards the top is a view of Millennium Park, which features a number of landmarks such as Jay Pritzker Pavilion, Wrigley Square, and the highly reflective Cloud Gate.

yQXaeQZ.jpg

A look over over Chicago's Magnificent Mile district, which features a number of the city's tallest buildings - such as the John Hancock Center, 900 North Michigan, Water Tower Place, and Park Tower. The Chicago Water Tower can be seen as well - built in 1869, it's the United States' second oldest water tower and is well known for surviving the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

CnyJs2h.jpg

One last view of downtown Chicago, featuring the city's tallest and 3rd tallest buildings - the iconic Willis (Sears) Tower and Aon Center.

uEngihq.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Previous Update: "Australia"

mHTcsi4.jpg

Thanks to @f3cs, @RobertLM78, @Toby Ferrian, @Handyman, @CorinaMarie, @Simmer2, @KOSMO*, @Bastet69008, @MAW, @redfox85, @bobolee, @The British Sausage, @Odainsaker, @Manuel-ito, @_Michael, @Hanson784, @jakis, @mrsmartman, @PaulSawyer, @Holy_Duck, @tmorgan96, @MilitantRadical, @tonyr, @Androgeos, @dabadon5, & @mike_oxlong for the likes/comments!

17 Comments

Recommended Comments

@mike_oxlong I'm always working on an update or two behind the scenes to make sure I have a steady stream of updates. Plenty more to come so stay tuned *;) Thanks for the comment!

@ESP15 Appreciate the kind words! *:)

@tariely Thank you very much for the comment! *:)

Share this comment

Kickin' sweet!  Been eagerly awaiting this - thanks!  *:D 

Fantastic work, as usual, buddy!  *:yes:

By the way - what happened to the last image?    Also, if you're going to touch on some of its suburbs, a fun challenge (with it's curved roads) would be Riverside - one of the first planned communities in the US. 

Share this comment

This is your best US-themed entry yet, the 1930s scenes were very cool what with the 1930s automata mod.

Though a lot of the buildings, in your pictures, outside of the SC4 Chicago buildings are very non-Chicago!

Share this comment

@RobertLM78 Thank you very much for the nice words! *:thumb: As for the last picture (the Willis Tower/Aon mosaic) - its showing up fine on my end so maybe it's an issue with imgur? It's also a really large mosaic (10k+ pixels) so it might just need some time to load properly. 

I'm probably done with Chicago for the time being unfortunately - but I am considering doing a few more suburb pics for future city entries like I did with my last London update, so stay tuned *;)

@The British Sausage Thanks for the comment! Glad you enjoyed the 1930s pictures *:)

Share this comment

4 hours ago, korver said:

As for the last picture (the Willis Tower/Aon mosaic) - its showing up fine on my end so maybe it's an issue with imgur?

Probably was... it's working now... great mosaic - glad I checked back on it.

Share this comment

So many great photos once again! Chicago looks amazing in your post. My favorite would be the navy pier scene followed closely by the Farnsworth House.

Then again that Wrigley Field scene is awesome as well.

Share this comment

@DavidDHetzel Unfortunately I'm afraid not. Those scenes used some models from online sites like 3d warehouse, so I'd have to have the authors permission first before redistributing them or even sending them out in a PM due to site rules. There's really no good way to contact people over there sadly so for the time being they'll have to remain private.

@MilitantRadical Thanks for the nice words! The water in that pic was a direct inspiration from the way you do your water in Ionica *;) As for the Adler Planetarium scene, I used the Maxis Adler Planetarium with a model I got from 3d warehouse which isn't publicly available yet unfortunately.

Share this comment

Where did you find some of these buildings eg. Wrigley, Merchandise Mart, Tribune Tower etc.

Share this comment

@DavidDHetzel I don't believe that was ever the case sadly, I asked an admin recently and you still need permission.

@tribar Merchandise Mart can be found on the LEX here and Tribune Tower on the STEX here - Wrigley used a custom model that I found online.

Share this comment