Bad Peanut

BadPeanut: Road Modding [WIP] first look for a new bridge (SHB)

381 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, alborzka said:

Just to clarify, the idea I was suggesting wouldn't necessarily need to lose a car lane or require anything to be refitted, it's simply swapping the two curbs (grass outside instead of in), and bus stops would then be on the "grass" (converted to pavement at the stop itself) without changing the shape or etc. The bus would stay in-lane and not pull in/out of a stop. Still, excited to see what you make next :D

yeah but the stop would still have to encroach onto the bike lane, the grass area is only 1m wide (ish) and you need a full 3m for the stop

• Original Poster
  • 8 minutes ago, The Urbanist said:

I think I have almost exactly what you want here. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a little bit, Bad Peanut...

I ain't mad ;) i just subscribed

Wow great work as always! Been looking forward to your work since those modular train stations from quite some time ago. Will there be a variant with the grass portion replaced by sidewalks? The current sidewalks seem too narrow to me...

On 06/12/2017 at 1:47 AM, alborzka said:

Glad someone is doing more tram and bike roads! Although, bikes and buses really shouldn't share the same space or interact with each other as it's dangerous. Considering the layout you have now, it may be best to swap the curbs (bike path / road barrier) and the bushes (bike path / sidewalk barrier) with each other as this gives better protection for cyclists anyway, and then have a bus stop design similar to the one below (just replace parking with bushes lol) so it'd be a constant barrier (no shape changing needed) like bushes/trees/grass__pavement for bus stop__bushes/trees/grass. This is best practise globally as well as in the Netherlands which has a lot of bike use. Either way, happy to see more of these roads! :)

06_V2-37-a.jpg

Where did you get this picture from? Is it from a design manual? I'm very interested.

I have to agree with Alborzka on swapping the grass portion and the bus stop though. Been reading a bit on "complete streets", which means roads equally designed for all road users. If I were to apply its principles to your road, since all road users are equal, I wouldn't worry about losing one vehicle lane at the bus stop. Might cause a bit of inconvenience for private vehicle drivers but benefits the bus, which doesn't have to merge into traffic, and the cyclists, who would be protected from buses. Still, your current design is probably not uncommon.

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, The Urbanist said:

Wow great work as always! Been looking forward to your work since those modular train stations from quite some time ago. Will there be a variant with the grass portion replaced by sidewalks? The current sidewalks seem too narrow to me...

Where did you get this picture from? Is it from a design manual? I'm very interested.

I have to agree with Alborzka on swapping the grass portion and the bus stop though. Been reading a bit on "complete streets", which means roads equally designed for all road users. If I were to apply its principles to your road, since all road users are equal, I wouldn't worry about losing one vehicle lane at the bus stop. Might cause a bit of inconvenience for private vehicle drivers but benefits the bus, which doesn't have to merge into traffic, and the cyclists, who would be protected from buses. Still, your current design is probably not uncommon.

Well i do need to make a 1 car lane version anyway so you might see that soon!

On 11/19/2017 at 1:33 AM, Bad Peanut said:

meanwhile: when roads require a tonne of meshes and textures, and this is only for the ground elevation of 1 asymmetric road :'(
    qhLVFp6.png

and I'm gonna release them as a pack, pavement and grass textures too!
    9kqAvq6.jpg

I can imagine, I myself am having to disable a lot of custom content, as I am finding that 16 gig of ram is now not enough.. With 1068 custom assets over and above what comes with the game and all the expansions my system is now swapping to the HDD to fit it all in, with total usage of about 22 gig.. And the main culprit are roads, heavy tris assets and over the top texture sizes..

You could definitely say that to get the best out of this game 32 gig+ of ram would be the new minimum now with 64 gig hitting the sweet spot..

On 8/12/2017 at 7:31 PM, ghosty20 said:

I can imagine, I myself am having to disable a lot of custom content, as I am finding that 16 gig of ram is now not enough.. With 1068 custom assets over and above what comes with the game and all the expansions my system is now swapping to the HDD to fit it all in, with total usage of about 22 gig.. And the main culprit are roads, heavy tris assets and over the top texture sizes..

You could definitely say that to get the best out of this game 32 gig+ of ram would be the new minimum now with 64 gig hitting the sweet spot..

I'm doing fine with 8 GB myself. But honestly, if I had 32 GB RAM and an SSD for fast loading, I'd probably also be using up all of it for assets.

On 2017/12/7 at 10:15 PM, Bad Peanut said:

Sorry to have a little bit off-topic, but I am curious where I could subscribe that Melbourne C-Class tram (the short 3-car one) in the screenshot... I tried few times in Workshop but couldn't find it.:)

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, im359 said:

Sorry to have a little bit off-topic, but I am curious where I could subscribe that Melbourne C-Class tram (the short 3-car one) in the screenshot... I tried few times in Workshop but couldn't find it.:)

oh actually i haven't released my melbourne trams yet. i lost motivation with the z class and the d classes to go. I'll probably finish them sometime in the new year if i have time

Jumping back to what alborzka was talking about, could this be it?: boulevard.thumb.png.2376c6f4bdf8b3bb7af585a82e0234bc.png
    The inside lane would be tram/car shared. The outside lane would be bus/car shared. Bus stop replaces parking (1m+2m=3m). Bus and tram 'block' traffic when they stop. This looks to be close to, but not quite the same as:

4 Lane Tram Boulevard with Bikes by BadPeanut

A little less similar is:

Six-Lane Road with Bike, Bus and Tram Lanes, Decorative Trees by ifriqiya

@BadPeanut As requested. My idea made in streetmix. The buffers can be whatever, and actual widths differ. The point of this is to make tram roads a viable option when they have to cross an extremely busy intersection. Most tram roads require a significant sacrifice in dedicated lane counts which in turn hurts the efficiency of traffic going through it.
    Tram stops aren't really necessary there 99% of the time, so sacrificing the stop islands is an easy choice. Thanks for the opportunity to share. Keep up the great work.

https://streetmix.net/-/622569

extra-turning-lanes-with-tram (1).png

That feels like a good width to me. There's room for some boats and you could still have a ferry come through. Love the design of it! It's awesome even without any textures :D 

I actually like the idea, but I guess the median looks kinda empty (yes, I know that this is W.I.P). Probably two walkways in there would be cool + a "bridge-asset" especially for this network :) so peds don't have to cross using the intersection.

And after that you can build a one-way-24-lane-OMGFROMHELL-road.

And a version with a runway inside...

...and one which is floating on water...

Okay, consider the last ones as jokes, please :D 

Good job on all your networks! - it's a shame that editing runways and taxiways is not that easy (still I gotta have a look... if I ever have enough time for that again lol)

• Original Poster
  • 8 minutes ago, Delta2k5 said:

I actually like the idea, but I guess the median looks kinda empty (yes, I know that this is W.I.P). Probably two walkways in there would be cool + a "bridge-asset" especially for this network :) so peds don't have to cross using the intersection.

And after that you can build a one-way-24-lane-OMGFROMHELL-road.

And a version with a runway inside...

...and one which is floating on water...

Okay, consider the last ones as jokes, please :D 

Good job on all your networks! - it's a shame that editing runways and taxiways is not that easy (still I gotta have a look... if I ever have enough time for that again lol)

If you see the first pic on Twitter  (click the link) do you think that the median is still too empty?? I tried to have pretty randomly placed trees  (as much as you can in a sequence)

20 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

If you see the first pic on Twitter  (click the link) do you think that the median is still too empty?? I tried to have pretty randomly placed trees  (as much as you can in a sequence)

Well, in my eye it's good for suburban parts of a city this way - I was thinking more about crowded, downtown-like type, probably featuring parking space and a walkway both in the median (which we got in some avenues over here). Unfortunately I cannot show you a real-world picture of what I got in my mind, but maybe it would be just another sub-type of your network ;)

On 2.1.2018 at 3:33 PM, Bad Peanut said:

Very cool road! I made use of the huge median and came up with this idea (second one is the same but with bus stops), would be awesome if you would consider making something like it:

64m-tram-arterial--trees--bikes.thumb.png.315e9fabbd46a783bb0720d47e44a975.png64m-tram-arterial--trees--bikes-bus-stops.thumb.png.8650b227d391edaeb03e21e40a6ed85b.png

btw: Would this be zoneable? in your screenshots it looks like it does, although you once wrote it's only possible with the standard widths - 16m & 32m.

And what about crosswalks, is there just the texture missing because its WIP?

Another cool way to reach the tram platform in the middle would be a tunnel or bridge connection! just like at your "bright coppice" station there could be a node thats elevated (or underground) that you could connect to a pedestrian bridge (or tunnel). This could also be implemented at all intersections, so you would't need crosswalks at all

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, im359 said:

Is it possible to put a highway or bridge at the middle, something build & can tee off from normal road like monorail, for cars to skip the intersection?

not really, ideally this would act like a but of a suburban highway but unfortunately roads don't allow you to bundle other networks inside them unless like the monorail there's a completely different road AI to accommodate it. 

1 hour ago, Nicolas B said:

Very cool road! I made use of the huge median and came up with this idea (second one is the same but with bus stops), would be awesome if you would consider making something like it:

64m-tram-arterial--trees--bikes.thumb.png.315e9fabbd46a783bb0720d47e44a975.png64m-tram-arterial--trees--bikes-bus-stops.thumb.png.8650b227d391edaeb03e21e40a6ed85b.png

btw: Would this be zoneable? in your screenshots it looks like it does, although you once wrote it's only possible with the standard widths - 16m & 32m.

And what about crosswalks, is there just the texture missing because its WIP?

Another cool way to reach the tram platform in the middle would be a tunnel or bridge connection! just like at your "bright coppice" station there could be a node thats elevated (or underground) that you could connect to a pedestrian bridge (or tunnel). This could also be implemented at all intersections, so you would't need crosswalks at all

Ahah! See I'm actually building a set of arterial roads that will include tram and bus and bike variations.  Not promising any particular combination as obviously that would be hundreds of roads but these will definitely be the higher capacity roads.  Lots of people ask for more lanes on the little 32m roads without realising there's no more room. 

In terms of zoning you just need to be in multiples of 16 for zoning to fit inside how the zone grid works. So anything less than 16 won't work (it'll keep the 16m zone) and anything that's not a multiple of 16 will misalign. Technically there's still a limitation with getting bigger than 64m because at 64m you have to be particular when drawing the road out because it's so big it's easier for it to give a collision error. Just means it's too short or too long a segment. Any wider and it would be too big i think.  Which makes sense as it would be wider than it is long. I will still play around with it and see if there are any improvements in the depths of the coded values but i doubt it. 

I'm currently juggling in my mind aroind 4 or 5 projects i want to do with equal amounts of enthusiasm but it's hard to decide priority. I think that I'm going to do roads and canals first, the other two are buildings which will take A LOT of work.  I'm talking like 2 months at least of solid work as since i rarely have that continuous free time it's gonna be longer haha

• Original Poster
  • Also please feel free to post designs of bridges/suspension bridges that would suit the 64m width. I've seen maybe a couple but I'm not 100% convinced they won't look silly

48 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

Also please feel free to post designs of bridges/suspension bridges that would suit the 64m width. I've seen maybe a couple but I'm not 100% convinced they won't look silly

Okay, I'll start with the bay bridge of San Francisco:

920x920.jpg