Bad Peanut

BadPeanut: Road Modding [WIP] first look for a new bridge (SHB)

381 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Going off of that idea (yes, I know, I have many lmao) there's an asymmetrical transit road; can be used alternatively at intersections so that car traffic flow is increased while allowing buses to pass at stops:

32m Asymmetrical Right-Boarding Rapid Transit Road with Bypassing Lane

asymm1.png

And, as usual, an example with a stop:

Stop at 32m Asymmetrical Right-Boarding Rapid Transit Road with Bypassing Lane

asymm2.png

• Original Poster
  • 16 hours ago, alborzka said:

Going off of that idea (yes, I know, I have many lmao) there's an asymmetrical transit road; can be used alternatively at intersections so that car traffic flow is increased while allowing buses to pass at stops:

32m Asymmetrical Right-Boarding Rapid Transit Road with Bypassing Lane

And, as usual, an example with a stop:

Stop at 32m Asymmetrical Right-Boarding Rapid Transit Road with Bypassing Lane

I think that lanes that cross over medians aren't going to work visually, we've seen in roads for Next 2 how vehicles will still just cross over the median strip and you can't restrict it unless you use one of the traffic mods which are CPU intensive

9 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

I think that lanes that cross over medians aren't going to work visually, we've seen in roads for Next 2 how vehicles will still just cross over the median strip and you can't restrict it unless you use one of the traffic mods which are CPU intensive

Sorry, not sure what you mean by lanes that cross over medians? Do you mean when a 3+2 road converts into a 2+3 road (for example) that there'd be a problem in aligning the medians? Or is it something else?

• Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, alborzka said:

Sorry, not sure what you mean by lanes that cross over medians? Do you mean when a 3+2 road converts into a 2+3 road (for example) that there'd be a problem in aligning the medians? Or is it something else?

it's what this guy on the New Roads for Next page is talking about:
    RBLuw0w.png

mainly the bit where he says you have to manually restrict the busses from crossing through barriers. 

My general assumption that's evident from these mods is that you can't stop traffic from changing lanes, even if you put a barrier, or a median in between them. if they're both heading the same way then they'll both be use.

In your latest example I think the shelter in between the two lanes on the right and the two bus lanes centre right (heading in the same direction) would have the same problem, you'd be having cars cross into the bus lanes when they need to turn across traffic and they'll drive straight through that transit shelter strip

On 2.10.2017 at 4:49 AM, Bad Peanut said:

it's what this guy on the New Roads for Next page is talking about:
    RBLuw0w.png

mainly the bit where he says you have to manually restrict the busses from crossing through barriers. 

My general assumption that's evident from these mods is that you can't stop traffic from changing lanes, even if you put a barrier, or a median in between them. if they're both heading the same way then they'll both be use.

In your latest example I think the shelter in between the two lanes on the right and the two bus lanes centre right (heading in the same direction) would have the same problem, you'd be having cars cross into the bus lanes when they need to turn across traffic and they'll drive straight through that transit shelter strip

Yeah thats what I meant.

Vehicles can switch between every segment to every other lane in the same Direction. You'd need to restrict the Lane-Changing and change the Behavior at Crossings where you can't force vehicles to use direction arrows.

But this road of the "new roads for next" mod is great:

small-one-way-road-with-parking-and-bike-lanes.thumb.png.89a2de7800e5894215fc87dd24d949fa.png

How wide can the streets be? How about 48m (6 cell)wide Roads? They should work with zoning, too (because they are an even number of cells wide)

16m Road - I really like combined Bus and Tram linessmall-road-with-tram-and-bus-lanes.thumb.png.d80e5cebc23595b070084071c723b275.png

32m Alley - I'd like to have an improved version of the Mass Transit alley with less wasted Space. So 4 Parking lanes and Bike lanes would be nicealley-with-parking-and-central-bike-lanes.thumb.png.4c5a2840bb4506039d3abd76a2ba45e5.png

48m Road - You can get all you want on such wide roads, I'd use them not to handle that much traffic but to make my city look good. 8 cells (64m) would be completely crazy, then you could really start building seperate roads for the lanes

48m-road-with-basically-everything.thumb.png.c96ec4c36e1856f63569d51dc0773cb4.png

I think we already have enough Roads with high traffic capacity but we need more alley roads with many trees and few lanes. btw, what about Monorails?

Tbh I use that mod and I definitely don't have whatever issue @FightBiscuit is having --- I never had to manually restrict vehicles from using the bus lanes, for me they're treated the same as the vanilla bus lanes (e.g. cars don't use them even for turning), afaik.

But even if this was an issue and TM:PE would be needed, honestly I'd still make these roads. It's next to impossible to make properly functioning lights and intersections by trying to combine these roads yourself using regular NEXT2 roads so that barriers etc pop up. Like if the option is either "I can make this road but I need TM:PE" or "I can't make this road at all" I'd rather at least have it with TM:PE tbh since it's better than nothing, and those who don't want to use TM:PE don't need to use/load those roads IMO.

Btw, I know you can't reveal much but how easy is it to make new roads with the upcoming tool? I know in NEXT2 it was a LOT of code etc so how much easier is it now? Is it possible for someone without coding and texturing experience to make roads?

• Original Poster
  • 31 minutes ago, alborzka said:

Tbh I use that mod and I definitely don't have whatever issue @FightBiscuit is having --- I never had to manually restrict vehicles from using the bus lanes, for me they're treated the same as the vanilla bus lanes (e.g. cars don't use them even for turning), afaik.

But even if this was an issue and TM:PE would be needed, honestly I'd still make these roads. It's next to impossible to make properly functioning lights and intersections by trying to combine these roads yourself using regular NEXT2 roads so that barriers etc pop up. Like if the option is either "I can make this road but I need TM:PE" or "I can't make this road at all" I'd rather at least have it with TM:PE tbh since it's better than nothing, and those who don't want to use TM:PE don't need to use/load those roads IMO.

Btw, I know you can't reveal much but how easy is it to make new roads with the upcoming tool? I know in NEXT2 it was a LOT of code etc so how much easier is it now? Is it possible for someone without coding and texturing experience to make roads?

In terms of using TM:PE I usually try and make things that don't require additional mods (why I'm excited for the new tool) but II do actually think what you say has merit, so i might make a collection of roads that do require (or at least strongly recommend) TM:PE with the,  but I would still focus on modless roads too. I prefer the stability of making mods that only rely on the code that CO produces, rather than the whims of our dedicated modders.

i really have no idea how the tool will work, we haven't had much info in the dev diaries so it's hard to know how easy it will be. I'm just guessing from the structure of what NExt uses and how the Extra Roads for Next act like, along with a reasonable amount of understanding of how the traffic AI works currently. I think though the fact you don't have those issues is because you have TM:PE (i think it has code that makes the bus lanes work like that) either that or you may not have noticed. or it might not be a big deal to you. I'm personally hoping for a lane restriction from CO but i doubt that will happen

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, FightBiscuit said:

Yeah thats what I meant.

Vehicles can switch between every segment to every other lane in the same Direction. You'd need to restrict the Lane-Changing and change the Behavior at Crossings where you can't force vehicles to use direction arrows.

But this road of new the roads for next mod is great:

How wide can the streets be? How about 48m (6 cell)wide Roads? They should work with zoning, too (because they are an even number of cells wide)

My guess would be yes? but maybe they will limit it to the sizes of what's already in game (but looking at what Extra Roads for NExt does i bet it could be modded to allow more)

16m Road - I really like combined Bus and Tram lines

I like it!

32m Alley - I'd like to have an improved version of the Mass Transit alley with less wasted Space. So 4 Parking lanes and Bike lanes would be nice

I like it but i wonder what will happen if you have parking on the other side of the driving lane? maybe the cims will just "cross" the street/get hit by cars haha

48m Road - You can get all you want on such wide roads, I'd use them not to handle that much traffic but to make my city look good. 8 cells (64m) would be completely crazy, then you could really start building seperate roads for the lanes

This would probably be a TM:PE needed road if you want cargo only lanes on those outer lanes but again i Like!

I think we already have enough Roads with high traffic capacity but we need more alley roads with many trees and few lanes. btw, what about Monorails?

I'm guessing that we should get access to all the roads to mod as long as we own the DLCs??? 

Comments in Bold Blue 

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, alborzka said:

for me they're treated the same as the vanilla bus lanes (e.g. cars don't use them even for turning), afaik.

actually the vanilla bus lanes work by priority not restriction, so busses will usually be the only vehicles in these lanes (or taxis) but if a car needs to turn off and the lane that it needs to use is bus, it will still enter the bus lane in the last segment before turning off.

13 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

i really have no idea how the tool will work, we haven't had much info in the dev diaries so it's hard to know how easy it will be.

Oh haha I thought you might have had behind-the-scenes or early beta access to it or something :P

But yeah you're right about the TM:PE and vanilla behaviour stuff, I haven't really played without TM:PE so that could be it honestly. Still glad you'll consider us and our wants/needs tho :D

21 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

Comments in Bold Blue 

I added the Truck at the outer lanes only to make it look better, not because I want seperate Lanes. But a nice Idea ... divided Lanes for Trucks and Cars would be very interesting

On 22/09/2017 at 11:23 PM, rsc204 said:

I think the rules are poorly written and don't clearly express whether swearing is allowed or not, that is something I will personally be taking up in order to hopefully improve the clarity of.

Pursuant to this topic (and sorry to hijack your thread @Bad Peanut), we (the site staff) having considered the situation have amended our rules on this subject. So I wanted to briefly come here and explain that we will be more relaxed in future when it comes to causal swearing such as this. Provided you do not use swearing as a tool to victimise others and don't let things get too out of control, in future it will be tolerated.

I hope you understand at the time I took this action, the rules were not the same, so such action was appropriate. But it did bring about a wider debate and we felt it was time to make a change that better reflects the world today. Anyhow, that's it really, keep calm and carry on swearing (within reason please :)).

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, rsc204 said:

Pursuant to this topic (and sorry to hijack your thread @Bad Peanut), we (the site staff) having considered the situation have amended our rules on this subject. So I wanted to briefly come here and explain that we will be more relaxed in future when it comes to causal swearing such as this. Provided you do not use swearing as a tool to victimise others and don't let things get too out of control, in future it will be tolerated.

I hope you understand at the time I took this action, the rules were not the same, so such action was appropriate. But it did bring about a wider debate and we felt it was time to make a change that better reflects the world today. Anyhow, that's it really, keep calm and carry on swearing (within reason please :)).

as an Australian who likes to uphold the stereotype of swearing too much I'm heartily glad!

If I saw correctly in the preview video, it will be possible to make cars unable to cross between lanes, thus making boulevards with built-in frontage roads possible. 

All in all, the system seems like it will be both simple and powerful. 

• Original Poster
  • 9 hours ago, wasmic said:

If I saw correctly in the preview video, it will be possible to make cars unable to cross between lanes, thus making boulevards with built-in frontage roads possible. 

All in all, the system seems like it will be both simple and powerful. 

I can guarantee you that is not the case - the value "can cross lanes" refers to the ability for a car to cross across the path of the other lanes to park/deliver to buildings the other side of the road - it does not control individual lanes ability to change lanes - this is a part of the code that we've had access to since NExt became a thing. I remember asking lazarus man if that it was what you were suggesting but it is 100% not. Sorry man!

6 hours ago, Stanil said:

This is fantastic, but seems like I'll need 3D models for making non-vanilla/NEXT roads -- if I want to add bike lanes for example, and use one of their 3D models as a base, it won't be visible on the roads :(

• Original Poster

This is fantastic, but seems like I'll need 3D models for making non-vanilla/NEXT roads -- if I want to add bike lanes for example, and use one of their 3D models as a base, it won't be visible on the roads :(

you can just tell me what configuration you want and I'll see if it's possible ;)

5 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

you can just tell me what configuration you want and I'll see if it's possible ;)

That's super nice of you! But my overall point is I shouldn't have to rely on your kindness and good will to make my own roads --- there's quite a few I want to make, and I'd feel bad bugging you for each and every one :P Is there not a way I can start with a basic 3D model, and then add medians and car/bike/tram/bus lanes if/where needed? Like a StreetMix but just for models/textures, or some other easy way to do this?

• Original Poster

That's super nice of you! But my overall point is I shouldn't have to rely on your kindness and good will to make my own roads --- there's quite a few I want to make, and I'd feel bad bugging you for each and every one :P Is there not a way I can start with a basic 3D model, and then add medians and car/bike/tram/bus lanes if/where needed? Like a StreetMix but just for models/textures, or some other easy way to do this?

unfortunately not, it's like the building editor - you can't mix and match features of a building into one you like, you have to import your own mesh. 
    I know it's frustrating but it is a good way of streaming what comes out of the workshop - if literally anyone could just mix a road, the amount of tripe we'd get or barely any different roads would be enormous - look at all the vanilla buildings that were uploaded with nothing more than a slight change in hue. 

In saying that, you should wait for tomorrow or so to see what i initially upload. i've got around 5 roads fresh to upload and a few more that are close to completion. You may find the functionality you desire in one of them, and maybe they won't be exactly the right textures for you but they match the Vanilla textures so they won't look out of place :)

Hi! Amazing work! Do you think it's possible to make a super simple tiny (8m) road like the one shown here? It's a low-traffic local road that pedestrians can walk on and cars drive in both directions. I'd imagine it needs lanes for Ped / Drive Forward / Drive Backward / Ped, but without any actual curb, just all put next to each other on asphalt, with the asphalt texture reaching to the edge. These kind of roads are super common in Asia (here, South Korea, but I've also seen them in Japan). With or without parking, I don't mind. If it's easier, one-way works too.

Sorry that I couldn't make this in StreetMix, but the point is that it has no curb (but zoneable and pedestrians can walk on them). Link to this street view.

59e8cb8010817_ScreenShot2017-10-20at00_55_48.thumb.png.2693fa430973a742bf53b767018491cb.png

I'd be happy with some simple two-lane brick roads with and without tram rails. Cobblestone too, for that matter. Historic districts are begging for this sort of thing. 

I think it can already be done with some reskinning mods but those tend to be particularly resource-intensive.