Bad Peanut

BadPeanut: Road Modding [WIP] first look for a new bridge (SHB)

383 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hey guys! so with the hint of a road modding tool in the next DLC arriving, and presuming it's something like Network Extensions let's discuss what roads would be cool to add!

I've looked at the source code of Network Extensions and I've looked at their textures etc so I want to make a start at creating textures for roads. for that i need suggestions! 

Rules: 

1. Use https://streetmix.net/new to visualise your road. I won't even consider ones that are just some random description
  2. For roads you want to zone on: use either 16m wide roads or 32m wide roads as those are the two widths that work with zoning.
  3. For highways you can use any width
  4. lanes for cars, trams, buses etc should be 3m in width.
  5. parking should be 2m wide
  6. sidewalks should be at least 2m wide (maybe 1.5m at the smallest) and this is for either side of the road, so at least 4m of sidewalk altogether!
  7. try and keep in mind that it's not about creating new types of prefabs like MOM, it's for reskinning like we do with Network Skins!

Here's some examples of Vanilla Roads visualised in StreetMix

a 16m Wide Basic Road:

cs-example-basic-road.thumb.png.9df5e127a961a82a186ff9a0d7089ce3.png

And a 32m Wide Medium Road

cs-example-medium-road.thumb.png.003be7b779c7be412605b359b29890d8.png

You can click on the above links to be taken to a template in streetmix.

Give me inspiration!

This street layout would be nice. In the center there're shared tram and car lines. Then there're parking lanes which get removed for turning lanes, bike racks or station shelters if necessary. The bikelanes are protected by obstacles to prevent dooring accidents and wild parking. I hope this would be possibe because right now there is a lack of streets combining tramlines, bikelanes and/or trees in cities skylines.

ringstr1.PNG

ringstr2.PNG

10 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

lanes for cars, trams, buses etc should be 3m in width.

There's quite a few places where it's less than 3m wide for cars though, mainly for smaller roads and places where they want cars to slow down.

Here is my idea for a 32m wide suburban street:

Oig1NSl.png

The center part is just like a small street but it has a huge green space (like an extension to the front yards of the houses) while maintaining the small sidewalk because this is a low density neighborhood. This road can then be upgraded to a higher capacity when the time comes to allow more traffic (such as when upgrading density along the road) without bulldozing what's along it.

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, alborzka said:

There's quite a few places where it's less than 3m wide for cars though, mainly for smaller roads and places where they want cars to slow down.

Not in game though.  Lanes are always 3m wide otherwise you'll get traffic colliding with each other

• Original Poster
  • 6 hours ago, mikamaty said:

And the last one for today:

Bike path next to Light rail track (perhaps also for BRT) next to 2x1 road

https://streetmix.net/-/573785

I have more ideas, but not the time for sharing them atm. But they are not as useful as these I think  haha.

birch-allee.png

when it comes to these sorts of roads i think it will look weird where it forms a junction. Imagine a normal medium road with bike lanes connecting to this. The bikes would have to cross in front of traffic to keep going. Same with the cars... great idea but not practical

also you really need to keep it between 32m wide overall. otherwise we will get weird zoning like the NEXT 8m wide roads and I wouldn't do any road like that

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, schokoladeneis 1 said:

This street layout would be nice. In the center there're shared tram and car lines. Then there're parking lanes which get removed for turning lanes, bike racks or station shelters if necessary. The bikelanes are protected by obstacles to prevent dooring accidents and wild parking. I hope this would be possibe because right now there is a lack of streets combining tramlines, bikelanes and/or trees in cities skylines.

ringstr1.PNG

ringstr2.PNG

Can you please re read my post and update your idea with correct widths. Thanks

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, mikamaty said:

And the 3rd one :)

one-way for cars, tram and bus lanes in both directions as well as bike lanes

https://streetmix.net/-/573778

acacia-rd.png

I dunno if something like this would work, mainly thinking about the bus lanes. In the AD and MT bus lanes are only bus preferred, cars can use them if necessary to turn off, but they usually avoid them. If you had it set out like this I would imagine cars would use the bus lane going in the opposite direction of the car lane... if the bus/tram lanes were tram only I reckon it would work though

• Original Poster
  • 10 hours ago, mikamaty said:

First suggestion:  2x2 car plus turning lanes plus light rail. If its possible, lane for both light rail and bus

https://streetmix.net/-/573769

chestnut-blvd.png

this is also too wide, come on dude 32m is the max width (unless you want like super wide ones but you'd have to add another 16m to it to do that - and that's if we can even have wider roads in game (judging on that New Roads for NExt project at least it can be modded) You need to think of how it will fit in the zoning cells. You need to add 8m on either side each time you make a road bigger otherwise you'll get misaligned zoning at the junctions. 

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, mikamaty said:

@Bad Peanut I updated the 36m roads to 48m. Actually, I think 48m is fine. Where I live, there are wide roads which are as wide as 48m in-game.

Bare in mind though that they're less than ideal in CS though. Maybe they'll be possible with the tool but best to assume not plus i probably wouldn't make it knowing most people would prefer 32m to fit with the rest of the games stuff

57 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

https://streetmix.net/-/574432

dDaB16z.png

Let me know if you like it or not!

For this one specifically, can you please change the order of the bikes and parking -- ideally, bikes should be protected by parked cars (rather than other way around), as their movement in/out of parking spots across the bike lane would pose a danger to cyclists

Of course the basic red bus lane road, 2-way, single road, has no bike lanes, which I find odd. Can you please make a bus lane with bike lanes too. Thanks. 

• Original Poster
  • 6 minutes ago, PGPK said:

Of course the basic red bus lane road, 2-way, single road, has no bike lanes, which I find odd. Can you please make a bus lane with bike lanes too. Thanks. 

As long as you realise they're no true bus lanes in vanilla CS so i doubt any road tool will either.  There's bus priority from AD that still allows cars if necessary, so i guess we might get that but maybe only on larger medium roads