Cyclone Boom

Simtropolis 9.0.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

479 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm apparently not able to edit my older posts, as in the original post in my city journal Franklin County, thus I cannot change the title of the topic, when I could have sworn I could do that as recently as last December. Since the title of the topic directly references the previous update that's sort of a pain in the neck. How can I resolve this issue?

7 minutes ago, Patricius Maximus said:

... thus I cannot change the title of the topic, ...

We'll prolly have to wait for CB to get the why part of it.

7 minutes ago, Patricius Maximus said:

How can I resolve this issue?

In the meantime is it the "Welcome to Bluff Island" that you want to change? If so my mod power allows me to do that.

17 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

We'll prolly have to wait for CB to get the why part of it.

In the meantime is it the "Welcome to Bluff Island" that you want to change? If so my mod power allows me to do that.

It's a forum-based CJ, Franklin County, and if you could delete the part of the title after "Franklin County" that would be much appreciated *:).

14 minutes ago, Patricius Maximus said:

delete the part of the title after "Franklin County"

Ok, so it's this thread. And we want to change: "Franklin County - Big Dreamers Settle By Little River Amid Dawn of Post-Patrician Era" to be just "Franklin County".

Right? (I want to be sure so I don't mess it up for you.)

Just now, CorinaMarie said:

Ok, so it's this thread. And we want to change: "Franklin County - Big Dreamers Settle By Little River Amid Dawn of Post-Patrician Era" to be just "Franklin County".

Right? (I want to be sure so I don't mess it up for you.)

That's right.

On 6/3/2016 at 2:03 PM, CorinaMarie said:

Just a wee bit of editing if you wouldn't mind. As I learned here, there's another dependency for PEG-MTP Fire Station which isn't listed so could you add CSX MEGA Props - Vol03 (v1.0) to the list?

Links getting broken? Lost posts? That here linky above used to go to a detailed description of how this was found. Now it goes nowhere. Additionally the " Mod Edit: Added previously missing dependency (fire engine model), as reported here. " at the bottom of the PEG-MTP Fire Station STEX entry just goes back to itself rather than to the bug report. I suspect this latter problem has to do with the IPS attempt to batch fix the formatting.

Edit: And while I was doing this research (to reply in the Sharing Plugins folders - discussion) I found this: PEG MTP Fire Station Patch

I won't fix up any of that atm since it might mess up the repairs IPS might be preparing to do.

Edit Too: I found the missing post. I now suspect that times we mods have goofed and combined a first post of a thread with the Can't Find It and then subsequently fixed that has changed the thread index number. :O

On July 14, 2016 at 3:53 PM, FlyHigh said:

So, bumping this thread with a bug I've always had but never reported.
I'm using Safari as my main web browser and, since the last update I've had rendering problems with ST. This has been happening with some "hip websites" (i.e. facebook and the likes) and, thus far I've traced the problem to some websites using templates that are not fully compatible with older versions of Webkit, the rendering engine this version of safari uses, more specifically, some display elements written in javascript applied with CSS, usually hovering/floating elements and sometimes animation (possibly a couple of j-query functions introduced in later versions).

Sure, I can work around this problem using firefox but I rather use the systems default engine since it is far more efficient (355Mb for Safari with 8 tabs opened versus 584Mb for Firefox with a single tab opened).
It is very inconvenient to have two web browsers opened or have to open a different web browser just to use ST.

I'm aware I'm possibly alone in this problem and I would fix it myself if I had programing knowledge.
Anyway, it's a bug and here's the reporting *;)

ST_Render.jpg

On July 14, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

@FlyHigh

Thanks for reporting.

Looks like that's a similar issue to the one Odainsaker noticed above:
http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/68528-simtropolis-81x-bugs-issues-report-thread/?page=7#comment-1628807

In the previous notable site update, jQuery was indeed updated. So maybe this is now partly incompatible on some older browsers.

It's also possible this is a new bug in the code, which would need reporting and patching by IPS.

Hopefully Dirk gets a bit more time to investigate these further.

Just as an update, the chat bug (that forced chat reload every couple of seconds) seems to be fixed in the latest version of Chat. I'm back to using Safari 5.1.10 and everything seems to work just as smooth as it used to!

• Original Poster
  • On 10/07/2017 at 0:15 PM, CorinaMarie said:

I suspect this latter problem has to do with the IPS attempt to batch fix the formatting.

Yes, that's correct. *:yes:

For anyone not aware, here's a summary:

Broken STEX Descriptions

We're aiming to fix the various formatting errors which have been present and reported on STEX files for quite some time.

Basically issues such as:

Example-STEX-Formatting-Issue1.jpg

Now in the process, the initial attempt at reaching a solution didn't work as planned. In fact, it failed quite miserably. What happened is the descriptions were rebuilt and during this, it caused some local URLs to be nullified. Consequently when a link should point to the intended destination, it only linked to the file's page and therefore reloaded it once clicked. Amongst others, this caused selected dependency links to no longer work.

Text link example:

<a href="" rel="">LINK NAME</a>

Embedded link example:

<iframe data-embedcontent="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

As can be seen from above, even without understanding HTML, there is no target URL set by either the text link or the embedded preview. Without this, a link can only 'see through' to the current page you're visiting. This means data has been unexpectedly lost in the rebuild attempt.

Interestingly it's only affected links pointing to pages on ST, including other files and forum threads. External ones such as to SC4Devotion are still intact to our knowledge. We're not exactly sure why this has happened, but my theory is the rebuild tried to convert them into embedded previews, as the board software does by default. Then the script didn't complete and resultantly caused the corruption of the original link.

So, what next?

After the technicians confirmed the issue, the next step is to restore the missing data, by merging it from a backup made before this all started. Doing so intends to copy over the description data, and hopefully fix the formatting issues in the process.

All being well, that's been scheduled to happen sometime midway through tomorrow.

On 10/07/2017 at 0:15 PM, CorinaMarie said:

I now suspect that times we mods have goofed and combined a first post of a thread with the Can't Find It and then subsequently fixed that has changed the thread index number. :O

Indeed, that's precisely what's happened there. Based on the new thread ID (73220), the muddled merge must've happened on or shortly before April 27th.

Note: To visit a thread using its ID record, use the format:

http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/73221- /

(It's important a space or any character is entered after the dash, which substitutes for the title. Otherwise it doesn't recognise the syntax and throws a not found error.)

On 10/07/2017 at 8:11 PM, FlyHigh said:

Just as an update, the chat bug (that forced chat reload every couple of seconds) seems to be fixed in the latest version of Chat. I'm back to using Safari 5.1.10 and everything seems to work just as smooth as it used to!

Glad to hear. *:)

We're actually running a completely new integrated software now for Chat. It's far from perfect and there's still significant functional areas we'd like to improve. Though on the whole, it's better than nothing and should be fairly stable for what it does.

Originally this had a status bar which showed on all site pages for all users, meaning you could chat in a popup menu while browsing the forums. Unfortunately however, it brought the undesired effect of adding extra burden on the server, resulting from excessive queries being made on the database. As a result, intermittently slowing the site down to a crawl, or causing connection timeout errors.

Following further testing we were forced to disable this feature, in favour of a dedicated window as with the previous iteration.

• Original Poster
  • We've made a few adjustments to help alleviate the performance issues yesterday (including 520 errors). Although it should now be working better, the site still may not be fully back to optimal speed. As always, please also let us know if there's anything not working as it should.

Hi!

Maybe just my Android/Chrome is messing with me, but on smart phone there is quite strange appearance of the page. It looks like the page try to squeeze everything to inside the edges and break the appearance of the boxes.

I've never experienced this before on my phone...

- Tyberius

Screenshot_20170907-214743.png

• Original Poster
  • @Tyberius06  @matias93

This is just a temporary issue as we're currently rearranging a few resources related to themes. All being well it should be completed very shortly. Let us know if it continues to persist, and a force refresh (Ctrl+F5 on desktop, or equivalent option on mobile) may be required to purge your browser's cache.

Hi, I'm having an error code pop up when trying to download any lot by user Diamond (industrial lots found on page 57 under the Lots category)

"Mayor we have a problem. File not found. Error code 3D161/G"

I saw this last night when looking at other lots but didn't think much of it at the time.

Is this a glitch?

On 2017-09-23 at 4:53 PM, spiritualfire said:

Mayor we have a problem. File not found. Error code 3D161/G"

I saw this last night when looking at other lots but didn't think much of it at the time.

Is this a glitch?

Indeed hopefully this was temporary as we were moving STEX files to a new storage location. The move of the files should be complete now and those errors should have fixed itself... But if you encounter a similar error please report it. Thanks. 

As @RandyE mentioned, some picture linkys are currently broken (as a result of the image and file migration to a new dedicated server). You might see something like this:

Broken Pics Linkys.jpg

These specific ones are because I had copied the linkys directly from the pictures display of the attachments to my STEX file when I made that post. (So as to not have duplicate uploaded pics taking up more storage.) It might be these will get autofixed later as @Dirktator and IPS run additional conversion tools or maybe Dirk will be writing a redirector like he's done for references to old STEX URLs or (in the worst case scenario) I'll need to update them manually. I'll let y'all know when I know.

I'm leaving that post alone for now pending the outcome of the final transition to the new and improved file server. *;)

3 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

As @RandyE mentioned, some picture linkys are currently broken (as a result of the image and file migration to a new dedicated server). You might see something like this:

3 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

These specific ones are because I had copied the linkys directly from the pictures display of the attachments to my STEX file when I made that post. (So as to not have duplicate uploaded pics taking up more storage.) It might be these will get autofixed later as @Dirktator and IPS run additional conversion tools or maybe Dirk will be writing a redirector like he's done for references to old STEX URLs or (in the worst case scenario) I'll need to update them manually. I'll let y'all know when I know.

I'm leaving that post alone for now pending the outcome of the final transition to the new and improved file server. *;)

Great idea about putting in a redirect!  Got that working now, so everything should be automatically repointed to the new location, no dirty code/post editing necessary.

• Original Poster
  • Posted (edited)
    On 01/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, Fantozzi said:

Can't update my profile photo. Error code: EX0 .

In preparation for a transition to a new server setup, image files and resources are being moved to a new storage location. This includes profile photos which are currently in the process of being copied over. As of this post, the migration is about two thirds done, and we estimate they'll be fully completed in 24-26 hours from now.

Until then, this will explain the error when attempting to edit profile photos. Sorry about that!

Update: This is taking a bit longer than expected due to the earlier site downtime.

Edited by Cyclone Boom