176 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

16 hours ago, terryalonso said:

forget 1 thing , if everybody want it , what should i do??? pm admin send files to him or other ways???

If you have files that have been lost, we are (the staff) very keen to try and restore them so that they are available once more. If you send a PM to one of us we can hopefully work something out.

If you can only do one version, keep it as close to the canon SimCity 3000 version if possible, but I say do both versions if you're willing to put in the time for them because a W2W version would be genuinely awesome given its shape. 

As for the ad, presuming it's not fictional, best I can say is go for advertising headshots from the late 90s or earlier.

This article (http://www.sc3000.com/knowledge/showarticle.cfm?id=0412&openItemID=) says it's based off the Home Building in San Francisco, but that building looks nothing like it. (It also says that "The escalator you see at the bottom front of the building is in reality a subway station" but eh.) 

Ocean Quigley was the art director for SimCity 3000 and 4, right? Think we should get in touch with him and ask directly? Worth a shot.

• Original Poster
  • It wud be lots of fun indeed to get Ocean in touch with this! Give it a shot 

Otherwise: I can fire up my Photoshop skills to emulate a similar image for the wall. 

Regardind w2w I think you should go for it, it makes more sense, looking at the flat wall the building has

Sorry I mean to reply before. *:(

imo the hardest thing about BATing is installing all the programs. Recently I wrote a one stop guide here: https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/74718-bat-getting-started-guide-faq-resources-help/?do=findComment&comment=1687910

After you get the programs installed, BATing depends on understanding a handful of concepts (the logic of polygon modeling, a handful of material settings, and how to use reference material to get building dimensions) in order to be proficient and make decent BATs. To go from decent BATs to great BATs, you need to learn the basics of Photoshop, maybe at most a dozen of other things about 3ds max, and some practice/experience BATing in order to develop an intuition for making things look good. Overall, if BATing were that hard, you wouldn't see so many people (often teenagers with no backgrounds in anything) learning how to make good BATs as quickly as they do.

If you (or anyone else) is serious about learning how to BAT, I'd be happy to help, either through a BAT thread or one on one through PM.

@nofunk That is looking great so far :thumb:I made a rough comparison of the proportions with the original building, and maybe yours deserves very little vertical stretching. I may be mistaken though. That's probably not important.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:35 AM, Krasner said:

@nofunk That is looking great so far :thumb:I made a rough comparison of the proportions with the original building, and maybe yours deserves very little vertical stretching. I may be mistaken though. That's probably not important.

Thanks! I haven't scaled this up at all yet, but it will be before the final export - good catch!

On 3/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, T Wrecks said:

Oooooh, now we're talking! *:golly: While progress on this project has been slow, I'm delighted to see some top BATters like @JP Schriefer and you being involved, and the quality of the WIP shots speaks for itself.

Looks like Bradbury Building will be a 4x4 in game?

3x3, actually, just like the SC3K lotting *:)

I've been away a while and completely missed this beginning of this thread, but as an avid player of every SimCity game this is giving me all sorts of nostalgia. Glad to see so many talented people still here on the boards.

JP Schriefer, I don't recognize your name, but I've been missing lately. The BAT is beautiful! Welcome!

This bodes well...

Funny how we've had several attempts at the real-world 500 Fifth Avenue, none of which have been finished and uploaded - and now we may get this SC3000 derivative of the building. *:lol: In any case, it's a building I'm looking forward to, RL recreation or SC3K recreation. *:D

47 minutes ago, Diego Del Llano said:

YUP !! I was working with some poor images on internet and the 500 Fifth Avenue, but I didn't have real size, Now I can figure out that the Corporate Ground Zero Plaza is Little Fatter !! *:D

I have to adjust the size, 

Thanks to @korver for the wonderful images <3 !!! 

01 test.png

I've been waiting years for someone to dare to create the "500 5th Avenue" ... and now is the time (although of course, it's the maxis version), I do not know whether to laugh or cry... Gracias mi amigo

6 hours ago, Diego Del Llano said:

YUP !! I was working with some poor images on internet and the 500 Fifth Avenue, but I didn't have real size, Now I can figure out that the Corporate Ground Zero Plaza is Little Fatter !! *:D

I suggest you to use Google Earth, it has a tool to measure distances in 2D and 3D. It's not 100% accurate, but it's very useful sometimes.

1 minute ago, Huston said:

Was feeling in the mood to do a little BATing out of the blue, so here's a building no one's asked for (yet) :P

c6f7fa482e.jpg

Ooooooo IS azome!!!

consult, will you include the parking lot, or just the building?

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I guess it would make sense to leave the parking lot for the lot work and keep the actual BAT as is. I'm not quite decided about the "Euro Büros" sign - keep it or ditch it? On the one hand, it addds flavour and is true to the original building. On the other hand, this is a very useful, generic office building. Hmm...

A little difference I noticed is that the podium doesn't protrude as far from the main tower as in your interpretation. The modeling and texturing job so far is stunningly crisp and absolutely convincing so far, though. *:) It would be cool if you managed to recreate that slight copper tone for the window panes although I'd gladly take the building as is. Great job so far, and thank you for tackling this one! *:thumb:

Wow! Really sweet recreation there!

Only a detail (aside from the one by T Wrecks): the slabs between the floors appear to be more pronounced on the original building, almost looking as if there were small balconies (only used to smoke, we know). Maybe it's only an artifact of the low-resolution original model, but maybe you'll find it interesting to consider...

1 hour ago, T Wrecks said:

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! I guess it would make sense to leave the parking lot for the lot work and keep the actual BAT as is. I'm not quite decided about the "Euro Büros" sign - keep it or ditch it? On the one hand, it addds flavour and is true to the original building. On the other hand, this is a very useful, generic office building. Hmm...

A little difference I noticed is that the podium doesn't protrude as far from the main tower as in your interpretation. The modeling and texturing job so far is stunningly crisp and absolutely convincing so far, though. *:) It would be cool if you managed to recreate that slight copper tone for the window panes although I'd gladly take the building as is. Great job so far, and thank you for tackling this one! *:thumb:

I suppose I could always render two versions when the time comes. Gotta fix my gmax though,  it keeps botching the zoom 4 and 5 renders :(

Also hopefully, once the roof junk's on it, you won't notice the podium dimension differences too much :P