True Earth

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Rio de Janeiro

vyJmrCO.jpg

Located on Brazil's Atlantic shoreline, Rio de Janeiro is widely recognized as one of the world's most beautiful cities. Between the perfect beaches, iconic landmarks, tropical weather, and friendly residents - there's plenty of reasons to visit and enjoy this one of a kind destination.

The city was founded back in 1565 by the Portuguese - and its strategic location on Guanabara Bay allowed it to become an important port city throughout the years. Since then, the city has expanded greatly and nearly 14 million people now live in its metropolitan area.

62YQ5hi.jpg

Rio is a city known for its income inequality - while luxurious apartments dot the shoreline, favelas can be found hugging the steep mountainsides.

o6iTanN.jpg

Rio's Jardim Botânico (Botanical Gardens) are a popular attraction in the city and are known for showcasing a wide variety of trees and plants - including over 900 different varieties of palm trees.

Eowloht.jpg

The Christ the Redeemer statue at the top of Corcovado Mountain is the city's most iconic landmark - it's become a cultural icon over the years as well and is listed as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.

geRw5xk.jpg

The iconic Maracanã Stadium comes to life at nighttime - the home of Brazil's national football team since 1950, it's one of the world's most famous stadiums.

yksH6zi.jpg

Famed Sugarloaf Mountain is located at the mouth of Guanabara Bay and is known for its resemblance to a loaf of concentrated cane sugar. Cable cars take tourists and locals right up to the top and offer incredible panoramas of the city.

rmY1Y43.jpg

vJy24aC.jpg

Rio is known for its beautiful beaches and Copacabana Beach is one of the city's best. From New Year's Eve celebrations, FIFA Beach Soccer World Cups, concerts, and more - it's become a destination that's known the world over.

Y9LMqGd.jpg

One last look at Copacabana Beach and busy Atlantic Avenue during one of Rio's beautiful sunsets.

sA9g6P6.jpg

Don't forget to comment, like, and follow True Earth if you haven't already!

-korver

---

Previous Update: "Sights From London"

PvB1nnT.jpg

Thanks to @pcwhiz24, @jakis, @CorinaMarie, @mike_oxlong, @Handyman, @The British Sausage, @feyss, @Cyclone Boom, @redfox85, @9gruntsand1hammer, @Duco, @MAW, @Androgeos, @Toby Ferrian, @RobertLM78, @_Michael, @kingofsimcity, @ESP15, @bobolee, @Krasner, @SS3K, @KOSMO*, @mrsmartman, @Mańkowsky, @scotttbarry, @PaulSawyer, & @v701 for all the likes!

17 Comments

Recommended Comments

😲  😲  😲  😲  😲  😲  😲  

That overview shot at the top......... doesn't even seem to be in the usual isometric view 😲  😲  😲  😲 

Yeah - the disparity is more pronounced down south - though we're quickly catching up here in North America.  

Excellent work as usual!   Thanks for sharing!  :8) :thumb:

Share this comment

These post just keep getting better and better, still in awe of your London post.  Your pictures look so full of life, especially the beach photos.

Share this comment

Thanks @mike_oxlong!

It's a region view - but not your "traditional" region shot. I pretty much created my own little terrain mod where I replaced the grass textures with textures made from aerial pictures of Rio, and changed the texture scaling around so it would make the texture cover pretty much the entire length of the tile and give it the illusion of being actual development. From there I speed plopped a bunch of random skyscrapers in some of the more crowded areas to give it a little more detail and depth. To be honest it looks rather awful up close - but it looks real good from the region view where it matters *:P

Share this comment

Hey! I loved your screenshots. Your Region view made me doubt if that's real or a SimCity 4 screenshot. Your textures are just awesome! 

I live in the Metropolitan region of Rio.

I know that will sounds a little picky but I have some things to say. 

Geographical stuff:

I don't know if it was because of the map the you selected, or another thing but your regional view deleted an important area of the city, (the West zone) and added cities of the metropolitan area to Rio (Duque de Caxias and Niterói).

Missed the "University city", the biggest public university on Rio, located on the Fundão Island.

Missed the Airport in the City center.

Transportation Stuff:

Maracanã is not just one of the biggest landmarks of the city, but one of the greatest hubs too. I missed so much SuperVia train system and the line 2 of the Subway :(

Still in Maracanã, missed the Radial Oeste, one of the biggest arterial avenues in the city.

Share this comment

Thanks for the comment @f3cs! Appreciate the feedback.

I take it you read my comment to mike_oxlong - the method I chose to make the region view used a terrain mod to simulate "development" and it was literally impossible to get it to line up 100% perfectly with the RL view, sorry.

As for the areas around Maracana - I'm trying to make my updates a little shorter these days, the last ones got out of hand and took nearly 100 hrs of work and Rio was already getting pretty big with 9 pics. Please remember this is a global recreation CJ and there's plenty of other places on my to-do list, so I couldn't do a 100% complete recreation of the entire Rio metropolitan area, sorry about that.

Share this comment

I can't figure out how you managed to make this overview shot at the beginning - I don't even have a vague idea. Great as usual :thumb:

Share this comment

Moar epicness from korver!!

(Is it me or these favela lots look like Maxis brown boxes seen from afar?)

Share this comment

@Krasner Only a little bit of the region shot are actual buildings and BATs - it's made up mostly of a custom terrain mod thats made to look like a city instead of grassland (I used aerial pics of Rio instead of grass textures in the custom terrain mod, I hope that makes sense). Thanks for the comment!

@TekindusT Now that you mention it I do a little resemblance.. *:P Appreciate the comment and nice words!

Share this comment