MGB - Maxis Texture Replacement Tutorial and Dev Kit. v.1.0

(32 Reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Do you use a Sidewalk mod that does not come with a Maxis Texture Replacer? Have you made your own custom sidewalks and want to extend them from the transit networks to your Lots? If the answer to either question is yes, you'll want to click download.

In essence this file is a tutorial with step by step instructions (Word Document) from simply replacing the three default Maxis plaza textures (10 minutes work) to complete removal of all of the default Maxis textures that use the Grey, White and Pink colour scheme.

============================================================================================================

NEW OPTION (MTRDK_Automated_Preview.zip) - JUN 2015

Due to a new technique, proposed by Rivit,, it is now possible to automate creating the textures in this set. You'll need the latest version of GoFSH to process them. If you select to download the file MTRDK_Automated_Preview.zip, you will find in the archive a texture repository with all the required files, including a script for use with GoFSH. For now, I will keep the old files available in case anyone prefers that. More information on the automated texture creation for SC4 can be found here if you are interested.

=============================================================================================================

Absolutely no modding experience is required to follow along, and included is my MTRDK (Maxis Texture Replacement Dev Kit) which includes pre-modified files that make creating replacements very easy. The screenshots above show the final results of this process with Paeng's Sandstone textures. This mod is an extension of my tutorial here on Sidewalks and how to get the most out of them.

You will need SC4 Tools to follow along (and a photo editor for the optional final part).

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

What's New in Version v.1.0

Released

• Jun15 - Added optional Automated version for use with preview versions of GoFSH by Rivit.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Oh, the trolls have already been here and voted 1 star... how cute. :) Won't be much use, of course, as always... sad little creatures.

Back to topic, I haven't downloaded this yet, but I see that many people use sidewalk mods. However, most rely on pre-made ones that can simply be downloaded. Yout tutorial might enable more people to adjust a sidewalk mod to their liking, or even to make one from scratch. Plus, it may introduce people into texture editing as such - surely useful knowledge, and who knows where this knowledge may lead? :)

Have you thought about publishing this tutorial on the Omnibus? IMO, it's perfectly suited for this.

Anyway, thank you for sharing, and now I'm voting 5/5 to counter. :)

Share this comment

Oh, the trolls have already been here and voted 1 star... how cute. :) Won't be much use, of course, as always... sad little creatures.

^^ Hehehe such sarcasm. Anyways, I think this is super cool to have and always thought it looked awkward having that white maxis texture bits alongside my override, especially for the overlays. Nice job. 5/5.

Share this comment

Not sure if I'm going to need this but 5/5 on principle alone! Nice work and to whomever trolled this upload, unless you can do better, you have no business throwing up a one.

Share this comment

Perfect Timing.  I was seriously considering taking this on myself.  Looks like I'll rap it up much quicker than I thought.

Share this comment

Your tutorial might enable more people to adjust a sidewalk mod to their liking, or even to make one from scratch. Plus, it may introduce people into texture editing as such - surely useful knowledge, and who knows where this knowledge may lead? :)

Until June I was frustrated with sidewalk mods, I liked all the different options out there but alas they have varying levels of uniformity depending on the mods available. I have a personal hatred of every pixel of Maxis white that invades my monitor. Therefore I decided to do something about it, the simple fact is that with the Japanese NAM facelift mod and the basic texture replacer a good chunk of the NAM can be made to fit any sidewalk, here's hoping the choices for users can be improved moving forwards. I have a number of sidewalk additions planned along the lines of my Sandstone Euro NAM mod.

Have you thought about publishing this tutorial on the Omnibus? IMO, it's perfectly suited for this.

That's something I will consider, right now I need to edit the tutorial for online use and I figured since the included resources were necessary it's just easier to keep the tutorial and files together.

Share this comment

Bravo sir. As stated above, I use the Paeng sandstone Mod (and it is great) - but this just enhances. I knew it could be done but I am still at novice level. Love that you made such a well put together "tutorial".

Really, REALLY looking forward to fixing those ugly overlays!!!

5/5

Share this comment