65 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I'm just gonna quote the annoucement here, since there's some interesting info in it. :)

We're pleased to announce that Cities: Skylines will be getting a playful new expansion, Parklife. Parklife is a lively new add-on for the PC version of Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order’s hit city-builder. The expansion will make your city more vibrant than ever with new amusement parks and zoos; nature reserves and city parks, giving new life to your empty land with custom green spaces.

Parklife adds new ways to play with everything from roller coasters and campsites to flower beds, fountains and flamingos. There’s also a new park area tool, five new maps, a ton of new assets and level-up features that increase your park’s property values in play.

More leisurely features:
Parks and Recreation: Use the new park area tool to create park districts wherever there is empty land, and new city services like Park Maintenance, which boosts happiness and effectiveness, and helps level up parks. 

• Brick by Brick: Customize your city with new buildings and assets, including a new sightseeing bus line, new service buildings, fresh attractions like amusement parks, nature reserves, city parks and zoos. There’s also a regal new monument, the Castle of Lord Chirpwick. 

• Freeway Free for All: For the first time in Cities: Skylines, you can place buildings next to paths in the park districts (not just next to roads). Props can be placed anywhere inside park areas.

• Recesses Between Buildings: Transform those empty spaces between your buildings into vibrant parks and gardens.

• It’s a Walk in the Park: Customize routes and set ticket prices for new walking and sightseeing tours, among other tourism enhancements. 

• Policies, Please: Take on three new city policies and eight new park policies to deal with recreational hazards like Fireworks and Animal Ethics.

More than that, Cities is adding a new radio station: Country Road Radio. The radio host is pure Dixieland Delight, spinning six instrumental tracks and ten songs with original vocals covering Appalachian Folk, Bluegrass/Honky Tonk, Nashville Modern Country and Unplugged country. 

In addition to the paid expansion, Cities: Skylines will also get a free PC update, as usual, including a new tourism panel, trees that reduce noise pollution, a camera mode upgrade, new tourist models, and new modding features, including submeshmodding and an improved camera system so users can control the camera with scripts.

Sounds really good and I'm happy to see trees can finally reduce noise pollution! :D

I'm so excited about this!! :D

EDIT: I wish they were a bit more clear what is included in the "Plus" pack.
I'm wondering if its just the radio stations... in which case I'm gonna skip it.
I play with the sound off. Lol!

EDIT AGAIN: Nevermind, its more clear on the Paradox website than on Steam. Looks like it is just radio stations.

I really like this idea. Finally the awkward spaces between buildings can be used for parks. Hopefully there will also be paved textures for commercial buildings so that plazas can be done as well. 

I think we're not going to get fixes for the most glaring issues in the game like deathwaves and population caps. We're gonna have to wait for CSL-2.

most people want word on a sequel rather than another half-baked DLC

but the developers seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. (probably holidaying somewhere else again)

From the pics on the Steam page love how we are set to get wider pedestrian paths among other things.. And we will see it on the 25th of May..

http://store.steampowered.com/app/715191/Cities_Skylines__Parklife/

2 hours ago, Rob86 said:

but the developers seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. (probably holidaying somewhere else again)

Well at least CO/Paradox are still supporting their game, unlike what EA/Maxis did with SC4 and SC2013 one expansion each for both games and then completely abandoned..

Whether they do C:SL 2 depends really, what with the reception the game is getting now from some of the community, CO/Paradox may not bother making it..  Since it seems that a fair portion of the city building game community come across as a very fickle lot..

2 hours ago, Rob86 said:

They have answered questions about a sequel and since they haven't said anything new, the answer is prob still the same. There's no plans for one right now as they're focused on still supporting this game.

And they're not on holiday, just working on making stuff instead of answering questions they've already answered 5 times. ;)

Truly excited for this, have to say they've hit the nail on the head. This game is fantastic for being a paint brush city building and this DLC will certainly entertain that. This also seems the most comprehensive and focused on one area DLC. Not to mention the possibilities with Zoo's and Theme parks are endless. 

12 hours ago, ghosty20 said:

Whether they do C:SL 2 depends really, what with the reception the game is getting now from some of the community, CO/Paradox may not bother making it..  Since it seems that a fair portion of the city building game community come across as a very fickle lot..

C:SL has sold 5 million copies. It is one of the most successful games on PC. They would be crazy not to make a sequel which addresses many of the problems the current fanbase has with the original. Give it another 5 years or so...

23 hours ago, Avanya said:

They have answered questions about a sequel and since they haven't said anything new, the answer is prob still the same. There's no plans for one right now as they're focused on still supporting this game.

And they're not on holiday, just working on making stuff instead of answering questions they've already answered 5 times. ;)

if they have actually 'answered' , we wouldn't be asking the same questions.

Last time people asked why were updates and fixes slow, they replied they were on holiday.

13 hours ago, tmorgan96 said:

C:SL has sold 5 million copies. It is one of the most successful games on PC. They would be crazy not to make a sequel which addresses many of the problems the current fanbase has with the original. Give it another 5 years or so...

it's the Paradox curse. There are always people defending them by saying CO is a small company or it is a niche product. Like you said, and as i said elsewhere, 5m for PC alone makes it top-25 of all time PC game sales.

Some people also defend that Paradox needs to make money or has no money.
They must have made 5x over their budget by now, and Paradox something like USD30m in profits annually or something

6 hours ago, Rob86 said:

if they have actually 'answered' , we wouldn't be asking the same questions.

Last time people asked why were updates and fixes slow, they replied they were on holiday.

You talked about word on a sequel, which has been answered several times.

As for updates they're spread out into large patches because that's what the community asked for. Since they often break mods, it was asked that there would be fewer, so they did that. That has the downside of us being stuck with bugs for a little while, but they fix the bigger bugs even if we just had a patch.

It would be cool if there was a golf course park with the new DLC.

I'm fine with the sequel being a few years off.  I'd like to see the next version to be a big leap forward, not an incremental upgrade.  Really between all the DLCs and mods, Cities Skyline is almost a completely different game from it's original release.

Judging by the video's thumbnail, I see giraffes and roller coasters? What is this, Roller Coaster Tycoon or Zoo Tycoon? :D

Watching the trailer confirms my suspicions: it's a tiny Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon bundled into one package. Weirdly enough, this could make perfect sense if anyone's also played ZT or RCT (I've personally played Zoo Tycoon 2 during my early teens); I honestly didn't expect game within a game (gameception)...

This looks nice enough. Let's see how it works. I like Cities Skylines, but often enough, it's a mix of good ideas with weird implementations or the other way round.

Regarding a new game, I'm not sure why anyone expects them to admit working on it as long as they are still releasing expansions. That wouldn't make any business sense. This has nothing to do with defending CO/Paradox, but it's just one of the realities of how businesses work, which includes knowing when to say what.

Anyway, this looks like something to look forward to. I'm taking a break from C:S at the moment, and this looks like something I might enjoy playing around with.

I can say with absolute certainty that i do not want a sequel. At least not yet. I am having too much fun with THIS version despite some flaws.

I have not been playing this game long (bought it just before Mass Transit) and I am looking forward to this expansion. Finally, the parks dont need to be square!

On 21/04/2018 at 8:18 AM, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Judging by the video's thumbnail, I see giraffes and roller coasters? What is this, Roller Coaster Tycoon or Zoo Tycoon? :D

Watching the trailer confirms my suspicions: it's a tiny Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon bundled into one package. Weirdly enough, this could make perfect sense if anyone's also played ZT or RCT (I've personally played Zoo Tycoon 2 during my early teens); I honestly didn't expect game within a game (gameception)...

It's... Roller coaster zoo tycoon. I just had a vision of a giraffe riding a roller coaster. :idea:

I have an idea, but not sure what they mean when mentioning submeshmodding.  Could anyone expand on that?

Submeshes are part of a model that are only visible when certain conditions are met. The best examples we have in game is the landfill and the graveyard. As they fill up a submesh is activated and displayed showing more garbage/gravestones. I don't know all the conditions which can be used, but I believe there's more than just those. It opens up for buildings to change how they look depending on when conditions are met.

That sounds like it will be really useful.  Paradox streamed some gameplay and mentioned the same examples :-)

13 hours ago, Avanya said:

Submeshes are part of a model that are only visible when certain conditions are met. The best examples we have in game is the landfill and the graveyard. As they fill up a submesh is activated and displayed showing more garbage/gravestones. I don't know all the conditions which can be used, but I believe there's more than just those. It opens up for buildings to change how they look depending on when conditions are met.

Hmm does this mean it's possible to make actual 'growing' trees now? from sapling to full grown. Or maybe even farm zoning, from empty fields to crops popping up over time depending on export / import or amount of workers.

OR urban decay where building(growables) facades slowly decay & litter piling up depending on levels, health, crime etc. but not to point of abandonment. Easier to see the neglected parts of our city, or intentionally want it to look like that.

6 hours ago, Bach2Baroque said:

OR urban decay where building(growables) facades slowly decay & litter piling up depending on levels, health, crime etc. but not to point of abandonment. Easier to see the neglected parts of our city, or intentionally want it to look like that.

That reminds me of Transport Fever which uses a map that places location of dirt and rust as the vehicles age, would be interesting if we could do something similar that could be mapped to conditions.

6 hours ago, Bach2Baroque said:

Hmm does this mean it's possible to make actual 'growing' trees now? from sapling to full grown. Or maybe even farm zoning, from empty fields to crops popping up over time depending on export / import or amount of workers.

Maybe. It all depends on the conditions/flags we have available (and if more can be added with mods). I haven't really looked at it much for buildings. I'm not sure if we're getting them for vehicles too, but I hope so. Like the forestry truck having logs when it's full. I have some good uses for that. :P

With the new function of reducing noice with placing trees it should be possible to create noise barriers as props or so to get rails a bit quieter, right?