65 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Kinda. I mean, they'd be trees which means they'd sway in the wind. So not ideal. Depending on how it works you could prop also use other "trees" like bushes or grass for the effect while using a prop for the looks next to it. 

Yes.. Maybe it could be possible, that you could put this attribute on props or buildings. But the idea with bushes and other trees sounds also good.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:08 AM, ghosty20 said:

Whether they do C:SL 2 depends really, what with the reception the game is getting now from some of the community, CO/Paradox may not bother making it..  Since it seems that a fair portion of the city building game community come across as a very fickle lot..

C:S has been pretty successful, and I think that a lot of the pushback has been bugs, features, and many others that people have talked about but have repeatedly been ignored. I don't even think they really realize that the only reason they got so far was because SimCity (2013) was scorned by the fanbase. Collecting every idea and suggestion from players, doing research, spending a lot of time in Google Earth all over the world, etc. and then coming out with a nicer-looking, more functional city sim that blows C:S away would be incredible, but I just can't imagine the developers doing that.

8 hours ago, LivingInThePast said:

C:S has been pretty successful, and I think that a lot of the pushback has been bugs, features, and many others that people have talked about but have repeatedly been ignored. I don't even think they really realize that the only reason they got so far was because SimCity (2013) was scorned by the fanbase. Collecting every idea and suggestion from players, doing research, spending a lot of time in Google Earth all over the world, etc. and then coming out with a nicer-looking, more functional city sim that blows C:S away would be incredible, but I just can't imagine the developers doing that.

I agree. Developing a new game is also very expensive. And taking into account that Skylines got a lot of new features with all the DLCs I can't imagine why CO would make a new version. I think for most people the features are more important than graphics, besides, you can alter general appearance a lot with mods, luts, and themes. I think it is more likely that CO would roll out an update in the future which includes some improvements in graphics than that they would develop an entirely new game from scratch.

In general I really like the general direction the developers have with Cities: Skylines. The general idea with releasing themed DLCs for around $15,- and including some improvements in a free patch-update is pretty solid. People might not like every DLC but in general the way CO handles updates is pretty good in my opinion. And off course there are still some flaws that need to be discussed. To be honest I don't like every DLC and I still miss some in my opinion essential features. However, CO is also trying to listen to the community and meet their demands. More than most game-developers at least. So maybe we see some of the suggestions made by the community in future DLCs, improving the game further.

10 hours ago, LivingInThePast said:

Oh they do realise! The dream for Colossal Order was always to make a city building game, but Paradox wasn't sold on the idea until SimCity2013 had it's horrible launch. If EA hadn't messed up so much with that game we might not even have Cities: Skylines. :P There's a video where Mariina talks about all that - if you'd like to see it I and dig up the link for it. :) It's basically a talk about how the game came to be and how CO started.

One reason I could see them develop a sequal would be to deliver on some of that stuff we can't get with the current minimum requirements. Like seasons or higher limits. A new game vs a DLC/update would also be a chance to change how the game loads stuff. We could really do with some lazy loading instead of what we have now, where every single asset you can possibly place is loaded. Medium density is another thing I highly doubt they'll add through a DLC, but it would make sense to have something like that in a completely new game. There's definitely some changes that are so big it makes more sense in a new game than a DLC. But I think we're still years away from that!

In a new CS they could solve the problem of not having waves as well as improving the water texture.

The water seems to be too dense and does not flow as it really should.

Hmm, I have paid for it - downloaded it and installed...

It all seems the same, where are the features? I can see a few new school types but no parks!

It isn't released yet. All you downloaded was whatever files contain which DLCs you have, it's basically just a switch. But as the game hasn't updated to the Parklife patch yet, you don't have any of the new content. That also means mods aren't affected at all. Until we get the patch the 24th there's no new content and no issues with mods. We're practically all running the same version of the game no matter which DLCs we have or don't have, which is why we don't need different versions of mods for whatever DLCs you have. Which is also why you get a patch without buying the newest DLC. :)

5 hours ago, willham said:

@poshbakerlooProbably has not yet been released, as the official launch is May 24. But are MODs flowing well or is there an error?

Everything is working fine, I didn't realise Park Life wasn't actually released yet! Thanks.

Don't expect a sequel to Cities Skylines anytime soon. The game has been so  successful and there is still plenty of life in it yet as far as the devs are concerned. I would predict CSkylines 2 around 2022. CO are still developing new dlc and the community has invested a great deal in the base game and various dlc packs- it is still a strong seller - it has no serious rival so there is no pressure on CO to develop a successor as yet. Why kill the golden goose when it's still laying those eggs?

On 08/05/2018 at 3:14 PM, poshbakerloo said:

Hmm, I have paid for it - downloaded it and installed...

It all seems the same, where are the features? I can see a few new school types but no parks!

If you have new schools, it means you bought green cities but not parklife. Sorry, you bought the wrong DLC. 

14 hours ago, R3V0 said:

If you have new schools, it means you bought green cities but not parklife. Sorry, you bought the wrong DLC. 

OMFG YOU'RE RIGHT! As if and that is the one DLC that I was never interested in!!!!

On 5/7/2018 at 2:26 AM, Ltw said:

I agree. Developing a new game is also very expensive. And taking into account that Skylines got a lot of new features with all the DLCs I can't imagine why CO would make a new version. I think for most people the features are more important than graphics, besides, you can alter general appearance a lot with mods, luts, and themes. I think it is more likely that CO would roll out an update in the future which includes some improvements in graphics than that they would develop an entirely new game from scratch.

In general I really like the general direction the developers have with Cities: Skylines. The general idea with releasing themed DLCs for around $15,- and including some improvements in a free patch-update is pretty solid. People might not like every DLC but in general the way CO handles updates is pretty good in my opinion. And off course there are still some flaws that need to be discussed. To be honest I don't like every DLC and I still miss some in my opinion essential features. However, CO is also trying to listen to the community and meet their demands. More than most game-developers at least. So maybe we see some of the suggestions made by the community in future DLCs, improving the game further.

There are a lot of things fundamentally flawed with C:S, including scale of buildings, the way zoning and road building works, the traffic model, deathwaves, the whole underlying simulation/challenge etc., and while I suppose they could be done with patches, it seems a bit impractical to rip out and replace whole chunks. Plus, like Cities XL, they never quite managed to have curved roads without creating massive dead space between lots.

These "official" gameplays do nothing to promote the quality and depth of the new Park Life DLC. I watched Biffa's You Tube preview last night- 30 minutes well structured excellent communication- That preview blew me away! It really showcased the DLC. Park Life will be the most successful Skylines DLC to date. The quality of new content is superior to any previous package. Have they employed some new designers? The increased simulation is also welcomed. This is a DLC that I will continue to use well after launch!

4 hours ago, mutton noir said:

These "official" gameplays do nothing to promote the quality and depth of the new Park Life DLC. I watched Biffa's You Tube preview last night- 30 minutes well structured excellent communication- That preview blew me away! It really showcased the DLC. Park Life will be the most successful Skylines DLC to date. The quality of new content is superior to any previous package. Have they employed some new designers? The increased simulation is also welcomed. This is a DLC that I will continue to use well after launch!

Yeah unfortunately the official video was pretty much meh..  But do you mean this video?  Yeah Biffa's video is certainly very in depth and shows a lot of what is coming and well I am very impressed with what is coming to this DLC when Parklife releases next Friday.. :)  I am going to be all over the DLC when it comes and back into C:SL as have been holding off playing since I heard of this DLC..

And here is his latest Parklife Video..

On 5/19/2018 at 11:51 AM, ghosty20 said:

Yeah unfortunately the official video was pretty much meh..  But do you mean this video?  Yeah Biffa's video is certainly very in depth and shows a lot of what is coming and well I am very impressed with what is coming to this DLC when Parklife releases next Friday.. :)  I am going to be all over the DLC when it comes and back into C:SL as have been holding off playing since I heard of this DLC..

And here is his latest Parklife Video..

yeah, Biffa did a great job of showcasing the new content. I'm really looking forward to release later this week.

On 18-5-2018 at 5:47 PM, LivingInThePast said:

There are a lot of things fundamentally flawed with C:S, including scale of buildings, the way zoning and road building works, the traffic model, deathwaves, the whole underlying simulation/challenge etc., and while I suppose they could be done with patches, it seems a bit impractical to rip out and replace whole chunks. Plus, like Cities XL, they never quite managed to have curved roads without creating massive dead space between lots.

There are most certainly flaws that could be addressed in a new version. Although, some of these problems could be solved with mods, such like the traffic model (Traffic Manager: President does a great job in addressing that) and the deathwaves could be addressed with a mod as well. And of course a new version in which these issues and issues such as simulation/challenge could be dealt with is the best option.

However, I don't know to what extent this is a smart choice from business perspective. The fact that Skylines is so successful is also due to the fact that a lot of casual gamers caught up on the game. I doubt whether they have similar demands as the community. For casual gamers challenge and realism might be more frustrating than exciting. I could imagine that people dislike a game in which they can't really succeed. I really want the problems in terms of realism and challenge fixed (could be in a patch, or in a new game). However, I think there are also big risks involved with releasing a new game which might appeal more to the community but maybe less to casual gamers. 

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to the new DLC and let's hope CO keeps on investing in Skylines!

On 5/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, Ltw said:

There are most certainly flaws that could be addressed in a new version. Although, some of these problems could be solved with mods, such like the traffic model (Traffic Manager: President does a great job in addressing that) and the deathwaves could be addressed with a mod as well. And of course a new version in which these issues and issues such as simulation/challenge could be dealt with is the best option.

However, I don't know to what extent this is a smart choice from business perspective. The fact that Skylines is so successful is also due to the fact that a lot of casual gamers caught up on the game. I doubt whether they have similar demands as the community. For casual gamers challenge and realism might be more frustrating than exciting. I could imagine that people dislike a game in which they can't really succeed. I really want the problems in terms of realism and challenge fixed (could be in a patch, or in a new game). However, I think there are also big risks involved with releasing a new game which might appeal more to the community but maybe less to casual gamers. 

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to the new DLC and let's hope CO keeps on investing in Skylines!

You've hit the nail on the head. Cities Skylines is many things to so many different people- all who make demands upon the developers to take the game in very specific and often conflicting directions. Many of these fans can and do discount the views of others- believing theirs to be THE way! CO are running a business to make profit and therefore need to steer a middle path that somehow manages to appeal to a wide range of players and playing styles. We can also easily forget who the core demographic the game is aimed at. Yes there is a sizeable niche of superfans who play a heavily modded game aiming for a hyper realistic minutely detailed aesthetic, those who focus on the simulation and the mainstream "casual" vanilla fans who are playing on average rigs. Whatever CO come up with EVERYONE appears disappointed about what ISN'T included rather than focusing on what IS included and acknowledging the challenge CO faces in steering the middle ground.

On 5/21/2018 at 4:57 AM, Ltw said:

This is the same line of thinking that started Maxis' path to disintegration. You don't have to an ultra-realistic city sim with every rule, mindset, and problem simulated with frightening accuracy, there are things that you can gloss over (like light pollution being an actual problem, or illegal dump sites, etc.). If you have a realistic enough city sim but still make it accessible (like having looser budgets, one of the things in SimCity is the ability to have a massive war chest instead of relying on handouts and debt), it can work. SimCity 4's poor sales were more of a result of an underwhelming release (half the things in Rush Hour really should've been in the base game, like avenues) and marketing than anything else. If EA gave SimCity 4 a few more months (it had already missed Christmas 2002) and released it in May 2003 or something, it would've been a more polished, fixed game that could've carried itself through 2003, maybe releasing free downloadables to keep up the momentum, then releasing a more fleshed-out EP in 2003 or 2004.

I'm not sure whether we are technically already at the point where we can have both, a detailed, graphically true representation of a city and a proper city sim at the same time. Pick one. C:S has shown that city builders are a viable niche for mid-size companies, but I don't see anybody else trying to compete at the moment. C:S bogs down noticeably already in the 120-150k population range, and I try not to exceed that too much. I have built a 400k city, but the performance of that one is measured in seconds per frame rather than the other way round. The shocking thing is that this 400k city doesn't really extend much past the "official" 9 tiles. I can sort of understand that CO expressed some surprise over the fact that people actually use all DLC's at once.

Not sure whether it's the Unity base or something else, but I don't see the current game have much room for loading even more calculations into it. I was certainly one of the more vocal people who complained about the limits in this game, and I even got a bone thrown with the increased building limit, but I have learned to be careful with what I wish for. Nowadays, I know pretty well what the game can do and what it can't. I also see that the game got a lot smoother over the years, also regarding how it treats mods. I just try and make the best out of the situation, and that can still be very enjoyable.

This DLC looks pretty interesting to me. Several draggable fences! The amusement park rides and the zoo stuff look amazing! The unique buildings look a bit meh to me, but, well, there's a few thousands of those in the workshop.

I look forward to the day when we have the technology to run a city building/simulation game that is a 3d hologram which can be displayed on my coffee table or living room floor- or even a full immersive VR experience! Maybe a year or two away...

So is anyone else experience high memory usage with the DLC? I usually get around 5.5gb before 1.10 now it's consistently using 7gb worth. Since I only make assets and actually never play the game the mods that i use are pretty lightweight, plus I only have less than 130 custom assets enabled. Kinda bugging me a little cause now there's a slight delay every time i try to open menus & tabs. Or maybe my PC is finally showing it's age :(