1 Screenshot

About This File

It's a very simple flat map for Cities XL 2012 that replaces the Rocky Desert, with a custom texture. Basically you have the whole map available for building whatever you wish.

Furthermore, I reduced the texture and shadow map to 2048x2048, down from 4096x4096, since it seems to run smoother on my computer this way. And besides, it's not like a flat desert actually needed more detail.

It has oil everywhere, as well as tourism everywhere.

It has no water or fertility by default in the normal game, just like the normal desert, BUT if you use Neidhard's resource enabler ( http://www.file-upload.net/download-2360525/mod_requied-for-new-maps.rar.html ) then you'll have underground water reserves and fertility everywhere too. It's up to you exactly how much you want to cheat, basically. You can imagine that it's an otherwise fertile area, if only someone pumps water from underground to irrigate the crops, or you can take it as just a desert and import your food and water. Or you can use the sandbox mod buildings to give you food and water.

To install it, just unpack the zip file into the Paks folder. To uninstall it, just delete the mod file from the Paks folder. (It might however break any cities built on the modified map.)

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: No attempt has been made to have it at the same height as the original map, and arguably it's not even possible to exactly match the height everywhere AND be flatter than the original. The two are mutually incompatible. I.e., it will likely break any existing city that's built on the Rocky Desert map. It's highly recommended that you start a new city if you want to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: It has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with 2011 or any other version.

Note 3: yes, I know it's not some great achievement. It's not the best map out there, nor particularly hard to make, nor the most realistic, nor anything else. I just wanted a flat map to build a great big Las Vegas style city on. Maybe someone else can use it too. Or maybe not.

User Feedback