3 Screenshots

About This File

It's a very simple and almost flat map for Cities XL 2012, replacing the Peninsula. It has custom textures, lots of place to build, a coast for placing ports (or blueprints built on water, like the Alcatraz), and all resources almost everywhere. It has road/railroad/highway connections on two out of four sides, so you can haul a lot of cargo even before placing a harbor.

It's basically like a quarter of a frisbee, almost perfectly flat in the corner opposite to the water, and gradually curving down towards the shore line, to meet the water in a gentle slope. It's still more than flat enough to build on in any point.

There are no trees in water. In fact, the the shore was actually built around the existing trees. So you don't have to buldoze anything.

It's inspired by the very flat geography of peninsulas like Denmark or Florida, or rather, coastal places on them rather than the whole peninsula, but it's not based on the actual terrain data of any particular place.

To install, just unzip the file into your Paks folder. To uninstall, just remove it. (Removing it might, however, break any cities built on the custom map.)

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: No attempt has been made to match the height of the map it replaces, and arguably it's not even possible to both have two maps have the same height in any place AND have one be flatter than the other. I.e., it might or might not break existing cities built on the Peninsula. It is highly recommended that you start a new city if you want to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: It has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with 2011 or any other version.

Note 3: yes, I know it's not some great achievement. It's not the best map out there, nor particularly hard to make, nor the most realistic, nor anything else. I just wanted a flat map to build a great big coastal city on. Maybe someone else can use it too. Or maybe not.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Ferox

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
  • STEX Featured

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Similar Content

• By AmiPolizeiFunk
      Common understanding is that you "reverse the red channel" on normalmaps for Cities:Skylines. I've been doing that (via heightmaps converted to normalmaps on normalmap-online) ever since I started modding buildings, over a year ago. I'm thinking it must be right, because I've checked my normal maps in game and they look correct. If the shadows were backwards or something, I think I would have noticed.

Until a week ago, I had never exported an .fbx in my life. I have only worked in blender and I have only exported .obj's with no ingame rotating or scaling on import. Are we learning now that your output method or import method could have different effects on normal maps?

In making my road, we discovered a very odd situation: the only way to get it to look correct and consistent in-game was to create a normal map like this:
      1. For faces with unpainted vertices: reverse the GREEN channel in the normal map
      2. For faces with magenta-painted vertices (to prevent texture scrolling), DO NOTHING.
      This was a very odd discovery! Surely you should not have to make half of your normalmap one way and the other half another way! Are we sure about all of this? Should CO be informed?

Those of you that are pro modders that understand the tech of normalmaps and the unity engine, could you please enlighten us a bit?

@Ronyx69 has been researching this. What are your latest discoveries?
    • By tails2489
      There is a tonne of amazing custom content on the exchange including maps.
      A lot of the maps I've installed and played are laid out in large cities only however and in a perfect grid. I prefer randomness with medium and small cities scattered about.
      How can I change the config file on an existing region without messing up the existing terrain that I like?
    • By RedDunoVn
      Guy, I'm playing USA map and this happen, why it have so many holes. HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!

It look like this in SC4 Mapper

• By RedDunoVn
      I have a very large city here, but when I save and exit to region, i show nothing !
      HELP ME PLEASE !!

• By archemediesx
      Greetings Simtropolis mapping community.
      I wanted to raise the question regarding the creation of geographical region maps. in the 'mapping-terraforming' section i found a tutorial about this put together in 2011, but it is unfortunately rather outdated and doesn't necessarily hold up to contemporary processes. I have been independently working towards the goal of taking DEM data and converting it into sc4 maps with varying levels fidelity and success. given the difficulty of the journey (many fruitless days spent scouring google searches and reading 5-10 year old tutorials full of links for websites that no longer exist) i though i would attempt to provide my own tutorial on the process i have undertaken. Before doing so i thought i should do a double check with the community just to ensure i haven't missed anything obvious (Perhaps a 2018 current mapping process for working with DEM's?). 

I can see that there has been a lot of discussion to this end including threads and tutorials started by @Izidor44 and @drunkapple, though many of those remain open ended, and that was many years ago. So, if anyone happens to have a contemporary tutorial process for processing geographic based regions i'll be pleased to see it. In the meanwhile i'll keep plugging along with my process i have started and will also be pleased to share it when i have all my findings completed. 

Edit: The first video in the tutorial series is complete and starts the process of describing in detail what is DEM data.

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections