Toothless Stitch

Buildings many people didn't even know they were existing

What do you want  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What buildings do you prefer to see?

• Highrises and skyscrapers many people didn't know?
    • Unique or strange architecture?
    • Others like very old buildings or buildings with some special features?

955 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

This is a thread where building (either underestimated buildings or buildings people didn't even now of) are posted. I started this thread just because ...

Because I wanted to :D

In order to keep this thread organized I'll give you these two rules:

There's a max. limit of 5 pictures per building. This will keep you post from taking ages to load.

If you want to introduce more than just one building you can do that by either using one post (5 pics per post) or by using seperate posts. To avoid spamming, please only do one post a day.

Also, please only post existing or demoished/destroyed buildings, no planned or U/C.

If I may start:

Oakbrook Terrace Tower in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

5674141.jpg

I think an amazing yet underestimated building would be 311 South Wacker Drive, located in the Loop in Chicago. At 961 ft, it is the seventh tallest building in Chicago and the tallest building in the world known only by its street address. Yet few people even notice it in pictures of the Chicago skyline and Willis Tower. My favorite part of the building is roof design.

post-538113-0-16470500-1409622277_thumb.

post-538113-0-06782500-1409622354_thumb.

I have a contribution, and this building is a very prominent part of Sacramento's skyline.

It's called the Renaissance Tower and it is the 5th tallest building in the downtown area. It stands at 112 meters and it was the tallest when it was first built. Here are some of the best pics I could scoop up:

2005_0417D_204.jpg

544505.jpeg

I think an amazing yet underestimated building would be 311 South Wacker Drive, located in the Loop in Chicago. At 961 ft, it is the seventh tallest building in Chicago and the tallest building in the world known only by its street address. Yet few people even notice it in pictures of the Chicago skyline and Willis Tower. My favorite part of the building is roof design.

I perfectly remember that bulding, is the small neighbour of Sears (well, Willis) Tower. I call it as Crown's Tower (Torre de la Corona) as far as I know it doesn't have a name. And yes, it is terrible underestimated, I think it is more beautiful than Willis Tower.

Here's an interesting one I spotted on my travels:

Slough Bus Station, Berkshire, England

7c4703_84b43397370649b0a3eabeb4a04c3a25.

Slough-Bus-Station-finish-4.jpg

mclarensloughbusstat003-w600h400.jpg

More pictures here.

Slough’s iconic new bus station opened to the public in May 2011.

Developed by Matthew Bedward, of BBLUR Architecture, the innovative bus station design provides a landmark building in the transport hub area of the project.

Other public areas for the Heart of Slough have also been designed by the same architects, to ensure a harmonious style which will lead people from the bus and railway stations into the town centre, making it a more pedestrian friendly place.

The form of the building derives from the idea of different wavelengths of light inspired by William Herschel’s famous infra-red experiment.

The building is clad in aluminium shingles which will create a softly textured metallic surface which will change character with the varying light conditions.

Facilities include a café, toilets, comfortable waiting areas and real-time bus timetable information letting you know exactly when to expect your bus to arrive.

The new bus station has been built on the site which was previously occupied by Compair House on Wellington Street. Demolition of the old bus station started in September 2009, with construction work on the new bus station starting in January 2010.

The futuristic new bus station, set within a pedestrian friendly access route to the town centre, provides a welcoming arrival to Slough.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140716115059/http://slough.gov.uk/business/regenerating-slough/slough-bus-station.aspx

Hangar 1 at Moffett Federal Field in Mountain View, CA.

This hangar was built to house the USS Macon and other zeppelins like it. I used to drive by it all the time and 'huge' is an understatement.

flag.jpg

Just for size reference, that grey plane to the right of the flag is a P-3 and the one to the left is a C-130

I find it interesting how so many of these buildings are found in suburban office parks. I guess one reason is because they stand out so much. In a area of single family and low rises a tall building is like a beacon of prosperity.

2010-03-2864-09c-eastlink-courtesyofconn

Not sure if it's a building or just a sculpture, some say it's for CCTV/traffic control. It sits next to the EastLink tollway in Melbourne's east.

Faculty of Architecture at the TU Delft:

Gebouw_TU_Delft.jpg

01-e1302553283522.jpg

tu-bouwkunde-5-550x412.jpg

Unlike the rest of the faculties, this is one of the older buildings on the university campus. The faculty was moved to this location after their old (less fancy) building burned down (by a defective coffee machine no less!):

Gebouw_Bouwkunde.jpg

tudelft_126743a.jpg

Best,

Maarten

Somebody said brutalist? What about this pearl from Belgrade?

[snip]

You can see it in all its glory on this amazing music video, featuring an even more amazing song.

[snip]

At least the logo on that building gives it a flash of color. Brutalist buildings just look so dark and dreary, especially during the rainy winter months. I go to North Seattle Community College, (well, now they've dropped the "community" from its name because it offers 4-year degrees now) which was built in 1970 and is a brutalist building. A friend from church told me he used to drive by that college when he was younger and asked his mom "Is that a jail?" I don't blame him. (although the school itself isn't as bad as a jail, thank God :) )

Definately, this thread is helping me discover so many eye-catching buildings around the world. I had no idea this AT&T building existed, I even had no idea that there could be skyscrapers dedicated to that use...

(I seriously thought that its "cousin" building, the 375 Pearl St. was just one more offices skyscraper)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RebaLynnTS
      The MMS (Modular Motel System by Becca (RebaLynnTS) was originally uploaded onto the SimPeg Website, this download contains
      MMS (Modular Motel System) 1 - Parking Lots by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      MMS (Modular Motel System) 1 - Transitions by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      MMS (Modular Motel System) 1 - Plaza Lots by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      MMS (Modular Motel System) Resources by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      MMS (Modular Motel System) Set One by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      MMS (Modular Motel System) Texture Pack by Becca (RebaLynnTS)
      * As with all my creations, feel free to relot, repackage, and re-upload as you wish, just remember to give credit where it is due.*
      NOTE from Tariely
      The lots are neutral, self-contained (no external dependencies), and can be found near the bottom of the park menu. RebaLynnTS original readmes are included. The pictures by Paeng were lost, but some shots of the pieces were made to replace them -- and a quick plop in-game of a gigantic, non realistic motel to show what can be done with them.
      RebaLynnTS was very important for the community in the heydays of custom content, when SC4 was first open to batlotters; we are glad to bring some of her own content back here.
      All RebaLynnTS files are now legacy content and are no longer officially supported - however support from the wider community can be requested here.
    • By randomderecho
      Hello,

I am starting a new type of city (more like a city cluster,  with the intention of putting it on the journals) based after the Emirate of Khemed in the TinTin comic books. I searched extensively, with little avail, to find a lot of Arabian style architecture for residential/commercial zones. However, I did find some plugins for the Arabian Desert. Do any of you have any suggestions as to where I could find plugins like this? If so, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share them.

Thank you so much.
    • By Badi_Dea
      Hi all!
      Like most of you folks, I have a huge back-catalog in a spreadsheet somewhere of assets I plan on making some day.
      Well, here's my list.. This is just the stuff I want to make, It's alright if there is already a good asset on the workshop for it, it's just for my own pleasure.
      This isn't going to replace the refinery project, I'll still keep updating that thread. I just wanted to have a place to keep my other assets organized and seek advice from everyone.
      I'll have to clean up the list at some point, but for now it's just a data dump. I have some more things I would like to make, but I don't have a design picked out yet, so I left them off for now.
      Oil Refinery - Oil Processing
      https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0065019,-90.4071591,237a,20y,167.44h,35.05t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Oil Refinery - Cargo Train Station
      https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9497817,-122.3930365,129a,20y,262.12h,44.54t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0704488,-122.1403047,380a,20y,244.63h,20.43t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Oil Refinery - Cargo Ship Dock
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0521921,-122.2629243,523a,20y,11.06h,42.26t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Maintained Parking Lot Set
      Park, in road menu
      https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3910437,-121.9274703,223a,20y,25.88h,35.16t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Steelworks - Cargo Train Station
      https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2377384,-104.6130184,402a,20y,104.06h,36.41t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Steelworks - Ore Processing
      https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6169763,-87.3499964,1970a,20y,91.87h,38.38t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Steelworks - Ore Processing
      https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4605099,-81.6761571,433a,20y,24.81h,35.14t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Grain Silo
      Food Processing
      https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7160313,-97.3329193,423a,20y,122.76h,37.08t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      Concrete Plant
      Road Maintenance Building
      https://www.google.com/maps/@37.737851,-97.3243732,421a,20y,25.26h,37.6t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      City College
      https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5618932,-104.8134453,226a,20y,323.93h,46.24t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
      High School
      https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6024645,-104.803733,322a,20y,114.75h,54.2t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    • By MilitantRadical
      Hey Simtropolis,
      I'm trying to get back in the SC4 game. What big mods or epic buildings did I miss out on in the 2 years I've been away?
      Not sure when I'll be ready to get the Ionica City Journal back up and running because most of the tiles I was working on before I stopped were long term projects. Hopefully I'll have built up enough material by fall to show you.

• By Odainsaker
      This past week the carefully guarded design by Pelli Clarke Pelli for Weston Urban's Frost Bank Headquarters in downtown San Antonio was finally revealed.  This will be the first major commercial office tower built in our downtown in almost 30 years, and we were promised an iconic, skyline changing building.
      "Weston Urban proposes cutting-edge skyscraper for Frost headquarters" - Richard Webner and Steve Bennett, San Antonio Express-News
      "Frost Bank Tower Design Signals a 21st Century San Antonio" - Iris Dimmick, The Rivard Report

It's...err...shorter than what many were anticipating!  That has been the immediate, universal reaction as the design will rise only to 400 ft.  However, once you get past the diminutive stature, it's actually kinda pretty.
      Admittedly, downtown San Antonio has no modern glass towers, so this really is cutting-edge for us:

For some, the octagonal glass design is too modern, while others think it is too restrained and boring.  Seeing that skyline cut-'n'-paste with the octagonal Frost Tower flanking the octagonal Tower Life Building tells me Pelli Clarke Pelli knows exactly what they are doing.
      The current site is a motor bank landscaped along its perimeter with live oak trees, which the developers have promised to largely preserve, particularly the live oak allée:

Not yet shown is how the rear base of the building will relate to the San Pedro Creek Improvements Project, which is creating a linear urban park out of a neglected drainage creek paralleling the Riverwalk.  At one point, the creek project facing the proposed tower site would have looked wondrously like this, but it has since been toned down more like this.  I admit, I was partial to the wondrous look.

Frost Bank will also have new, more conventional buildings in Fort Worth and Dallas, but the benchmark for San Antonio was the iconic Frost Bank Tower in Austin, whose completion in 2003 inaugurated a rapid building boom in the Capital City.  It is hoped that the San Antonio tower will herald a similar boom in Alamo City.  The iconic crown on the Austin building always seemed to me to be squat and peculiar, and it was a wonder just what sort of comparable crown might San Antonio end up with.  I do like this cleaner, serrated crown.
      Former Mayor Julián Castro surprisingly announced this unsolicited tower project and its complicated public/private downtown land swaps in 2014 just before leaving to become U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary, and this building is seen as the crown to his mayoral "Decade of Downtown" initiative.  Construction is expected to begin at the end of this year and is aimed to be completed by 2018, in time for the San Antonio Tricentennial celebrations.

Lastly, my own humor: