BSC Daeley Regional Tracking Mod

(34 Reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Bugs Noticed
 ** After deeper investigation by Pheonix Rising it appears the mod does not work if you start up the game with a shortcut you have created yourself. So if this mod doesn't work for you, try starting the game with the Maxis default desktop shortcut, or (if you deleted this shortcut or didn't make one) start the game though "Start > all programs > Maxis > SimCity 4" from the start menu. (Big thank you to Pheonix Rising) 

** This mod write to savefiles to backup the information gathers. Unfortunately, it seems this mod will occasionally be closed off in the middle of writing to a file, causing the file to be corrupt. When this happens, this can cause the game to freeze. If you are experiencing this, please look for two files called "BSCfields.dat" and "popfile.dat" in your Apps folder and delete these files. This will fix the problem but will also reset tracking. If you do not wish to lose tracking, make a backup of these files once in a while. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Daeley presents:

================================
 the BSC Regional Tracking Mod
  ================================

features:

The BSC Regional tracking mod is a mod designed to store specific data from your cities and make them available for the entire region to enhance regional play.
Whenever you enter a city, you will receive a popup message asking you to track the city. With the data tracked by the mod, you can also have a look at a detailed regional population report and, for the farming lovers out there, you can look at the number of BTE fields in your region.
Several upcoming releases from the BSC will also use this data to enhance queries or reward requirements.

a word of caution:

The regional tracking mod saves data dependant on the *NAME OF THE CITY. This means there are two limitations you should keep in mind during gameplay:

1. Deleting or renaming a city confuses this mod. I advise against renaming, but if you want to delete a city, it's best to just start a new city with the same name. If you wish to just create a test city you plan on quickly deleting, you always choose *NOT TO TRACK THE CITY.
2. Similarly, two cities with the same name in the same region (different region is ok) will result in only the data from the last one visited being saved.

Note that cities are not tracked by default. This means when applying this mod to an old region, you need to visit each untracked city and track it, much like when you use a watermod to change the color of the water.

dependencies:

BSC_essential_OG.dat (Now a part of BSC Essentials (v1.0) available on SC4 Devotions's LEX.)
If you have any other downloads by the BSC you should already have this file.

have fun,
Daeley.

if any problems should exist, please do not hesitate to post them on the appropriate thread in the BSC forum at simtropolis.

26.05.05 : A bug caused the mod not to track cities with single 'quotes' or double "quotes" in their names. A fix has been made for single quotes, but double quotes are still not possible. Thanks to Guinessmonkey for tracking and reporting this bug.

-Cori Note: Updated dependency linky and added the following tip:

In order for the popup dialogs shown in the above pictures to actually pop up when entering a city the Urgent Advice Dialogs must be turned on in the Play Options. (Otherwise you can watch for when the message appears in the news.)

Play Options - Urgent.jpg

-Additional Cori Note:

This mod was originally written when there were no digital versions of the game. The default output folder for a digital version is different from what @Daeley's mod expects. The easy workaround is to create an Apps subfolder of:

C:\Gog Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps

So it'll then be here where the two reports are stored:

C:\Gog Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps\Apps

Optionally, one can edit the 0x0000dae1 LUA script in the mod changing these two lines:

BSCfieldsfile = [[Apps\BSCfields.dat]]  to  BSCfieldsfile = [[BSCfields.dat]]
BSCpopfile = [[Apps\popfile.dat]]  to  BSCpopfile = [[BSCpopfile.dat]]

If doing this, one doesn't need to create a new shortcut, but to just change the "Start in" to a location of your choice. For example, by setting to:

"C:\Users\<USER>\Documents\SimCity 4"

(Replace <USER> with your user account name.)

Then both BSCfields.dat and popfile.dat report files will be saved to the root of your \Documents\SimCity 4 folder. This then gives SC4 access to save in there instead of being forced to use Apps where the game's executable is located. This workaround has been tested on Windows 7.

Otherwise be certain to read the first paragraph above (highlighted in orange) about it only working from an original Maxis style shortcut and not any custom ones. What does work is to navigate to where SimCity 4.exe is located, right click on it, send to desktop as shortcut, then edit the "Target" line there adding only:

-Intro:off -CPUCount:1

Also depending on your system you may need to have Administrator rights when running the game so it can access the Apps folder it wants to write the two files to unless editing the above path lines.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
  • STEX Featured

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Similar Content

• By Mikimoto26
      Pegg Bank began as an experiment in city building using techniques that would prevent the Infinite Commuter Loop, an issue this Mayor has always dealt with.

Named for the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car on the episode of Top Gear at the time, Simon Pegg.

This coastal town began with 4 little towns in a surrounding region, only one being connected by a single road to the north.

The town began along the coast, focusing on Manufacturing industry. Soon the growth spread to commercial and more people began to move in.

Currently plaguing the city is the mass of commercial buildings that have taken over the majority of the coast. As seen in the photo above, it is the same time of building over and over.

How can this city move beyond this sprawl of commercial?
      With hardly 20K sims living in Pegg Bank, upgrading to high density commercial is not an option at this point, even with the healthy budget with a surplus of at east a few thousand over expenses.

Residential areas are compact, with the majority of buildings being constructed on a 1x1 tile.

The residential developments are created in pods of 10x10 with roads or streets 2 tiles apart to lead the 1x1 homes to the main street down the middle. That main street will lead directly to the commercial (where the majority of sims work)

How can this small city expand, knowing that the majority of land area will go to commercial builders?
    • By Fahad Farooq
      Hello Guyz!
      As the title says, I need a separate menu for all my installed mods and plugins. It's very difficult to find things  and other thing is that the mods that are not related to hospital come in hospital menu the ones that are not related to parks come in parks so I don't love this thing. Please tell me a mod that combines all mods under one menu or tell me a way that I can make all mods come in correct menu like Amusement Park mod should come in Parks instead of Hospitals. The problem is not only Park but I want them all to be situated in one menu! I have error uploading pictures for better explanation it says intermit error 200
      Thanks
      Regards
      Fahad Farooq
    • By DaEgi
      Hello,
      I have a new mod in the making that could use some beautiful icons.
      Basically it is supposed to be a bigger and better version of "City vitals watch".
      https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410151616
      Instead of bars, I am going to use icons, but I need icons for stuff that the game does not provide.
      Anyone here who wields some visual artist skills and is interested to contribute to a mod?

• By Pegasus
      PEG One Flag Many Nations Mod
      By Pegasus

The One Flag... Many Nations mod allows Lot Developers to place a generic flag on their lots which will then display the user's specific or chosen national flag when that lot is used in their game. The player decides which flag will be displayed by installing the one modified flag .dat files enclosed in this mod.
      Players should follow the Installation instructions below very carefully. Developers can learn more as to how this mod works in the Developer's Notes section below.
      This is an updated version of the original mod and is dramatically reduced in size. To use this mod, the player must have the Maxis Day of Peace Add-On properly installed on their system:
      - Direct Download Link
      (Other Maxis Files can be downloaded here.)

Please note that this mod merely references the flag graphic images contained in the Day of Peace Add-On. Additional flags can not be added unless created by Maxis or a 3rd party developer. If your flag isn't included and/or you prefer not to have a flag displayed on lots that use this mod, simply don't install this mod.
      All Pegasus files are now legacy content and are no longer officially supported - however support from the wider community can be requested here.
    • By Thorx21
      I downloaded a custom region from the STEX called "Suriname" which is a former dutch colony in the north of southern america. It's the first time I try to install and use a custom region. For this I used SC4 mapper with which I imported a SC4M file to create the map. 

There are several problems. The 1st one is what the red text already tells you. The city called "Northest Suri" is orientated north/south according to the region overview as it is shown on the picture.
      But when you load the map the small developed area which you can see on the pic in the sattelite view mode is faced to the south (bottom part of the map in city view)
      So consequently it rotates the map 90 degrees right changing it's orientated to west/east causing the sea to be rendered on the east side of the map in city view rather then the northern side as the region view displays.
      However, the city tile right of it called "Suri - A" is angled in the orientation shown according to the region view and is as it should be.
      There is also a 2nd problem which the picture already shows. But the following picture shows it a little bit better.
      This is a region from the STEX called the "Soviet Union"

FIrst of all the problem, which is the edge reconciliation that apparently draws water on the southern edge of the city tile.
      I have thus far always used edge reconciliation but with these custom regions it seems to be a problem. Does it matter whether I reconcile the edge or not?
      And why does it do this?
      Is there a fix or method so the map reconciles properly?
      Or should I never use reconciliation at all?
      I downloaded the appalachian terrain mod. Does that conflict with the region as it was rendered by the author, or does that have nothing to do with it?
      In any case, it seems that many of the custom region have different terrain mods or terrain colors used to render the map.
      How do I know which terrain mods were used with the custom region that I downloaded, or the ones I'm still going to download in the future.
      As for this one, how do I make sure my city tiles match the colors of the terrain the region is rendered with.
      Which mods were used by the author to create that particular tint of green?
      I don't fervour any particular terrain mod but don't really like the bland vanilla one.

Thank You for the Continued Support!

Simtropolis relies mainly on member donations to continue operating. Without your support, we just would not be able to be entering our 15th year online!  You've really help make this a great community.

But we still need your support to stay online. If you're able to, please consider a donation to help us stay up and running, so that we can help keep bringing SimCity players together to share our creations.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

Expand your city with the best from the Simtropolis Echange.
Make a donation and get one or all three discs today!

stexcollection-header.png

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections