• Klyte45
    Klyte45

Maxis: Could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes.

Lucy Bradshaw: So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision. We did not focus on the “single city in isolation” that we have delivered in past SimCities. We recognize that there are fans – people who love the original SimCity – who want that. But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology.

Read the rest at the source.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

My favorite of the comments on her blog:

""But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality." Please stop listening to those voices in your head."

Share this comment

Well, they did say they are going to stick with this game and make it better. So many EA games are abandoned at launch with a host of bugs. Even already they have improved a whole lot since launch.

Sure they did kinda lie about the online feature's integration but I don't think that really changes the mechanics of the actual game.

From here this game can only go up... I hope so at least.

Share this comment

I have this bridge that I would like to sell for just only $69.99. It's practically right down the street from your house!!

What a load of crap. If you actually believe those lines she dishing out, I really feel sorry for ya'. Like most of the online games out there have fun buying the new addons once they hash out their mistakes with this game. I bet they'll probably even let you expand your city tiles in sections for a small amount of cash as well. Hint* Just look at some of the games on facebook . Farmville, Cityville are just 2 of them for example. You can expand your area for either a small fee or add friends etc.. Think about people..their handing you a toilet filled with crap.

Share this comment

"But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality" oh yeh. Show me your thousands, where are they. I've checked Reddit, I've check PC Gamer, PC Magazine, where are these thousands that love the Always Connected feature. Where are they? Cause I have found like 2 in the 600+ posts in Reddit.

Share this comment

New Sim City is another big disappointment for Sim City 4 fans (the other one was Cities XL). When Maxis announced the new game they never mentioned that it was going to be online mode only. They gave us false expectations and they were not honest ... If from day one we were told that the game was going to be like this I don't think fans would be so upset. Well at least now we know that we can never ever believe anything that comes from Maxis.  Maxis(Lucy) let it clear they don't care for us, the  hardcore fans..they only care for their greed...shame on you Lucy.

Share this comment

When you feel you have to title a blog entry "Straight answers...", it speaks volumes about how your community has lost trust in what you've said before, and, frankly just repeated again here without quite so much marketing spin.

Oh, and this line, "In many ways, we built an MMO"...yeah. That's about the last thing many long-time fans and players, including myself, wanted. Will our disappointment be meaningfully addressed with more than a dismissive "eat your vegetables" wave of the hand?

Share this comment

"Always-Connected is a big change from SimCities of the past.  It didn’t come down as an order from corporate and it isn’t a clandestine strategy to control players.  It’s fundamental to the vision we had for this SimCity. "

And it goes the last shred of credibility just to defend their job.

I can name a dozen articles where financial executives explicitly mentioning  to the social levy as a guideline for the products. (And kick Origin to the heights... of course)

The fact is that went wrong ... the critics are going over the game itself and not about  the said "MMO" simply because the genre is not for that.

It is nauseating to single-player and when all realize that socialization hinders more than it helps then the servers are dead.

If so at least the studio can succumb with honor and not expressing ago of anonymous postings and calls for fans.

Bad bet!

Share this comment

It's sad to see the only game I used to play has become a fancy (and buggy) Flash Game.

I have no hope on this SimCity anymore. I'm packing my stuff and moving to Cities in Motion 2 since transport has always been the most interesting part of SC.

Share this comment

"We even check to make sure that all the cities saved are legit, so that the region play, leaderboards, challenges and achievements rewards and status have integrity."

I can't believe they still care about this. Nobody cares for leaderboards, achievements, and all that. I mean they did disable leaderboards at the height of the launch problems.

Share this comment

"Always-Connected is a big change from SimCities of the past.  It didn’t come down as an order from corporate and it isn’t a clandestine strategy to control players.  It’s fundamental to the vision we had for this SimCity. "

And it goes the last shred of credibility just to defend their job.

Actually I now believe them on this, and since it was their decision then I've lost all respect for Maxis. I mean honestly...an online Simcity? what a stupid idea. It would be fine if it just had a simple optional multi-player, but forced online is just ridiculous.

Not to mention the graphical style is suitable only for young children imo - which is kind of a big middle finger to long time fans.

Share this comment

Do not be fooled. This is very much EA's terrible management with Maxis. They did the exact same thing with Bioware. The talking points are the exact same, the disregard of customer feedback is the exact same. There's little difference, just change around the names and terms. 

Look, they even kept the "artistic integrity" line. 

Share this comment

salami tactics - they only come out with the truth if they can't hold up their lies anymore. bit by bit. wondering what EA's reply to the outcry over massive flaws in game design/Glassbox will be.

Share this comment

soooo.. the first reason you gave us for no online was because the servers were needed for all those computations our computers couldnt handle. now your telling us offline just didnt fit with your vision only when the mod came out, huh? please, lucy, just shut up.

Share this comment

If anyone has any doubt this just go to Google and search.

" Gamer SimCity run offline "

By now more than ten pages

Share this comment

im just starting to get sick of the attitude from Lucy Bradshaw that it's my fault that i dont like their game, and it's the consumers fault that we are all unhappy with it.

Share this comment

What I got from it was that thousands of EA shareholders wanted it this way.

The online aspect wouldn't be so bad if it existed. I've started 2 regions and I'm the only one in them, and I can't find an available region to start with a bunch of players. So this vision just doesn't seem to exist.

You could still have offline regions. Why not cater to both groups, and possibly save money on having so many servers to support this online crap.

Share this comment