• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

The Glimpse

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

B is for Berlin, Germany

Sign in to follow this  
Huston

repliesworldalphabet.jpg

nedal2011 ~ Thanks, a much appreciated comment!

blunder ~ Yeah, they're some great tree's alright! Thanks for commenting!

LastTrueChamp ~ Thanks, the change of style starts here in this new update, as is for every other update!

hammysonata ~ Thanks, I really just got that from the Satellite Image on Google Maps :P

Evillions ~ Thanks, I guess there can be an upside to losing Port Hamilton, but I'll miss it :P

k50 ~ Thanks a lot! And I wouldn't mind taking requests since I have trouble looking for places to recreate (I guess it depends on available time and skill though :P )

Blakeway ~ Yeah, but think half a world away :}

SimCoug ~ Thank you very much!

ggamgus ~ Thanks a lot!

_marsh_ ~ Aww, your too kind :blush: It really is nice to see a City Journalling legend looking at my work!

grstudios ~ Thanks, its nice to be starting fresh lol... :P

Hazani Pratama ~ Thanks!!

NMUSpidey ~ Thanks a lot, well prepared to see some very unfamiliar places then! *Searches Google*

Schulmanator ~ Thank you!

mystic-destiny ~ Thanks!!

vivapanda ~ Thanks, a very new concept to me though... lol :P

theworldalphabetbannertemplatebg.png

Willkommen in Deutschland! We're now in the world renowned Berlin, capital city of the Federated Republic of Germany. It's a city that boasts history, elegance and world renowned landmarks, a city in itself which is full of such qualities. In this update, I'm going to take you on a tour to some of Berlin's local landmarks, most of which are of familiar sites to many.

berlin1.jpg

berlin2.jpg

berlin3.jpg

In this image, the prominent Fernsehturm Tower stands as a major landmark in Berlin City. A Television Tower in the approximate center of Berlin, built between 1965 and 1968 by the former German Democratic Republic Administration.

It was built to be a standing symbol of the city of Berlin, and lives to that standard, even as of today. It stands at a height of 365 meters or 1,198 ft, and is Europe's fourth tallest free-standing structure.

berlin4.jpg

berlin5.jpg

The Rotes Rathaus or Red City Hall is Berlin's, as stated, City Hall. It houses the office of the governing mayor of Berlin, as well as the Federal State of Berlin's Senate. The building was built between 1861 and 1869, and the name simply

derived from the structural appearance of the hall.

berlin6.jpg

berlin7.jpg

The Berliner Dom or Berlin Cathedral is the common substitution for its official name; the Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church. It is the parish church of the Evangelical congregation Gemeinde der Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin. Though the building itself has never been able to be fully referred to as "Cathedral" as it has never housed a bishop. The building's sections were completed during 1451 (first building), ca. 1345 (2nd bldg), 1750 (3rd bldg), 1905 (4th bldg), 1993 reinaugurated after removal of war destructions.

berlin8.jpg

berlin9.jpg

Berlin's Reichstag is home to Germany's Federal Parliament. It was officially opened 1894, housing the Reichstag until 1933 before it was severly damaged in a fire, allegedly caused by Communist Party affiliates. The structure was even more severely damaged, if not almost destroyed during World War II. Though the building was eventually refurbished by the 1960s onwards, leading to the current architectural design in which is partially modern and of an 19th century sense.

berlin10.jpg

The Berliner Dom from a different angle.

berlin11.jpg

The Zeughaus, Bertelsmann and the Kronprinzenpalais, across the river from the Berliner Dom.

berlin12.jpg

The Fernsehturm by night.

berlin13.jpg

The Rotes Rathaus by night.

berlin14.jpg

The Berliner Dom by night.

Thanks for viewing!

Done in Simcity 4 using Google Maps Data.

Those who really live in Berlin, please give personal criticism

on the pictures and accuracy of the locations!

:D

Oh, and for those wondering why I didn't do the Brandenburg Gate;

it's because I can't log on to the official SC4 website (Sucks a lot) cause I lost

my account for it about 5 years ago. If only there were other places to download it

:P

Watch out for the next update and location!

Sign in to follow this  

36 Comments

Recommended Comments

There is a site out there by zelgadis I think where you can download the maxis landmarks. How about C for Casablanca?

Share this comment

Oh man, that is one awesome update!

You really captured the essence of Berlin - I felt as though it were alive!

I say C for Cairo, too!

Share this comment

Very nice! ^^ It is my old city and I do recognise the places :}
You just forgot one major detail and that is Alexanderplatz S&U-bahn station (:
But still very impressive job!

It is also worth to point out that the Reichstag building is the old version in that picture, but still very cool! ^^

Share this comment

[quote name='Schulmanator' timestamp='1346602937']
A was awesome
B is bodacious

I am sure C will be cool and D delightful!
[/quote]

And "E" is going to be exceptional!?

Great update. I just wonder what you are intending to do after you used all letters. Are you going to start over?

Share this comment

"...severly damaged in a fire, allegedly caused by Communist Party affiliates."
Probably the historicaly accurate name for what I learned in history class as 'an attack of a brave Dutch man on the the nazis in their very home' :P

Other than that, this is absolutely stunning! I have been to Berlin three years ago and you certainly caught the feeling of it. Especially the fernsehturm square and the Reichstag are great here, nice touch with all the people sitting in the grass, just as it's in reality.

I'm curious what the C will be, Caïro seems interesting, or maybe Chicago, Cape Cod, Chihuaha or Colombo? I hope to know it soon!

Share this comment

Great work with Berlin, that looks really great huston :)

For C I think you should do a nature scene, you're very good at them. Crater Lake maybe?

Share this comment

If the Ninja Turtles are to be believe, B is for Bossa nova. I'm trying really hard not to think about how old that movie is. So, Bossa Nova work there, Huston.

Share this comment

Super! I'd love to see New Zealand recreated by you.

Share this comment