Public Transit Addendum  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

• Single Rail Tracks/Stations
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)

1,145 posts in this topic Last Reply

I feel having underground stations for rail negates the need for above ground metro.  I would like to see underground tram stops.  High speed rail would be good if it connects to outside networks. Finally i like the idea of one track stations although i wonder if there is a way to have trains wait at a passing rail. Otherwise you couldnt put 2 trains on aline or they will block each other at some point. 

Overall very interested in mor PT options  as that is why i play the game

You can change the speed limit of the rails by T++v2 and TM:PE.

I'd like to see overground metro.

I'd like to see single-rail track too, but I am satisfied with the existing mod One-Way Train Tracks at the moment.

Would there be a way to have trains wait at a station until the line between two stations is clear? With out knowing anything about coding it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to try and implement.. 

1 hour ago, sachizm said:

Would there be a way to have trains wait at a station until the line between two stations is clear? With out knowing anything about coding it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to try and implement.. 

I believe there is a mod to do this with busses. Trains should be possible too.

• Original Poster
  • @sachizm To put it simply, the 1L rail is one way.  It will be in the direction that you draw it, similar to a 1 way road.  while using it in two directions is def possible, like you guys have said, the logic will be a serious pain in the neck and it may not be worth the trouble but we'll see.The good news is that these tracks are pretty nimble and like the trams, making a terminating loop is rather simple.

@mikamaty Hope I'm not wrong (especially since I kinda helped build it) but T++ V2 only allows you to set a max speed of 120km/h.  Current rail is 150km/h.  Besides, you cannot select rail segments with the tool.  Nonetheless, as mentioned above, this stuff would probably still be developed in the order it is listed (if at all lol).  

@boformer Thanks!  TBH, making some good progress.  Ground and elevated are pretty much done working on slope and tunnel ATM.

Thanks for your feedback.

9 hours ago, andreharv said:

the logic will be a serious pain in the neck and it may not be worth the trouble but we'll see.

I think it will be worth it. The same logic could be applied to roads and tram tracks.

• Original Poster
  • Well now that I took a moment to think about it, it may not be too painful (the 2 way logic).  I may be wrong but it seems like the logic already exists for station rail since incoming trains can stop on either side of the track.  If I could harness this AI, i would love to apply it to the suicide/turning lanes in Network Extensions.  However, if I did make the rails 2 way, I would also have a conventional one way option as well/first. 

• Original Poster
  • Sorry double post...pics below :)

1L rail is about 90% done.  the last 10% will probably take forever because...that's how this stuff usually works.  This version will be 1 way.  After this, I will work more on making 1L station tracks models for modders.  Then I may move on to 2 way 1L tracks...or perhaps subway lol.

• Original Poster
  • In that case, I would recommend you vote for the above ground subway/metro.  Honestly, imho it makes more sense to fix metro rather than make rail into something it is typically not.  I did not mention this but once above ground metro is made, many of the existing models (metro vechicle, tracks, tube, etc) will have to be redone so it will look more appetizing.  Just speculating though.

Hey any ETA on the single rails? And just to be sure, are you also making a station version of them? Because i'm thinking about making a station or more when this useful beauty comes out! From what has been said and from those screens this has so much potential! 

Great work so far!

• Original Poster
  • This may come as good or bad news to you but I talked to the lead programmer on TAM/NExt and it is looking like this will be added on to that.  Reason being that this is going to be one of many new addons for public transport and that mod already has the framework for such a compilation.  Simply put, if I was doing it on my own, it would take a month or more to release.  That said, the Network Extensions Project will have a new update within the next week or 2.  Currently I am working on the single rail bridge truss.  I will then work on single rail station tracks (you would build your station on top of this).  Can't promise the station track will be done in time for the next release but it shouldn't be too long.

Sounds like a good solution. That mod has the option to only enable what you want to use, so if some people only want to use your single rail, then they can just disable all the other things. No reason to do extra work if it's not needed. ;) I'd say this is good news. :D 

Thats great news, single tracks will be quite nice indeed!  Excellent that they're going in the Network Extensions project too.
    I voted for the rail tunnels, but thats just because im a FP ride along junkie :D any of them would be greatly appreciated additions. 

Very cool! :D Hope you're feeling better - being sick is never fun. I'm looking forward to the next NExt update and to eventually this. :D I remember seeing some train stations on the workshop, that used sharp angles mod and the regular rail to split up tracks. (I imagine trains might use the other tracks though that are hidden by the station :P ) They would be so much better with this! :D

• Original Poster
  • The station track is a network type like the other types.  The station building you build around it is entirely up to you (short answer...yes).

The station pictured above is a proof of concept and will not be released.  I will be kinda relying on generous mod creators to make stations...For now

Wow, another awesome thread I missed. >.<

The way I see it, a train is a train if all is used for local service. Regional lines are a different beast. The regular rail on a closed network works fine as regular and elevated commuter systems, I never used Metro since launch. We already have the capability of underground train stations. What we really need to make it a complete package is the rail tunnels that could lead into underground stations and we have a full subway system already. So even though I see rail tunnels is the least voted, I say it's extremely valuable more than many realize....so that was my first vote. 

With the single rail tracks we can make island platforms and even make express service for elevated over larger roads like avenues and Metro/Rail line stations under them without using any "Metro" networks. I think a full subway/Metro system is already more than halfway done with what we have today.

There are still a few issues with train subways, for example the costs, capacity values and hardcoded pathfinding preferences.

Subways are not real trains, so I would like to see a proper subway system with overground tracks.

There are sunken rail stations available for railway, they function though it has been a bit of a pain when creating a route since it doesn't show the line properly. It would be nice to have both conjoined so you could integrate transport types as in major cities such as London where parts of the Underground and the Overground share networks but with them being split in game I imagine it would just take a lot of messing about to even get them to play along properly. I'd much rather have the ability to change bridge meshes so you can have more choices than the default type, especially for designing elevated rail so they go along arches or on a brick wall or something. Oh and zoneable bus roads and

Very nice seeing those single line tracks though. Biderectional single track might require passing loops and additional coding for paths though to prevent trains getting stuck at one point, unless they just go through each other. Would make for some very nice other route configurations such as properly laying out a railway junction for lines with heavy traffic (so they don't cross each other)