1,762 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, Hotwheeler said:

Wow,that Pool....just wow.

This must be one of the most realistic BATed Pieces of Water ever.

The House might not be my prefered Style but it still looks great and very well detailed.

Thank you! Getting the textures right for the water alone was quite the feat... Now that I know how though, it's pretty simple. It'll take some time until the boardwalk/props/concrete can do it justice though. ;)

@Hotwheeler these a super common in the USA. Especially with the younger families. There's a whole neighborhood where I live made up of similar houses, in fact my dad was working there a week or ago and I noted to myself when I ran an errand for him that they looked like the first series of houses @Bipin made.

On 04/03/2017 at 5:22 PM, DavidDHetzel said:

@Hotwheeler these a super common in the USA. Especially with the younger families. There's a whole neighborhood where I live made up of similar houses, in fact my dad was working there a week or ago and I noted to myself when I ran an errand for him that they looked like the first series of houses @Bipin made.

I know that they are common in the US and up close they really look nice with the Mixture of Brick and Wood/Vinyl Clapboard Walls.

In Fact,i wouldn`t mind living in one of those (even if the Front and Backyards look really sterile but i guess it`s because they are pretty new).

Edit: @T Wrecks

I don't think it is real Brick,have a look at the newer Parts of that Area,there are still unfinished Houses

• Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

Just being curious here: is that even real brick, though?

Yes. My 3D model's brick has exactly as much real brick in it as one of those houses, in the real world. Compare the boxes side-by-side any you will not be disappointed in our ingredients. Both have exactly the same amount of brick to offer.

(Which is to say, what you will be disappointed in is that neither my model nor the real thing have any brick at all. Just stamped concrete with some pretty colours, or some of those reticulated splines). *;)

E1jSuRn.png

I have no new BATs to show, so here's a picture of a GLR lot. Props to

you if you can spot the new props *;) Hint: They're for more than GLR.

@urbanconstanta For now, anyways. I'll probably disappear for another while, until... Suddenly... BATs on the LEX/STEX! The reason I do this is because of essays and exams because it lets me pull an "I'LL BE BACK" stunt every week or so... :O

@Hotwheeler Noted - I plan on doing clapboard/Cape Cod-esque houses anyways. Glad to see there's some interest in it!

@RRetail Thank you - I think so too; super happy with how it turned out! BATing these sorts of textures is often a lot of luck, at least as much as it is skill. What looks good in full 3D often doesn't look good in orthographic projection from afar. I plan on adding timed props with varying numbers of swimmers.

@DavidDHetzel Thanks David! These houses are similar to the ones in my own neighbourhood - even my own house to some extent. Boring as they may seem at first, as they age, they get some nuanced character. That's what I hope to add with a decent amount of props (including timed ones).

Glad to hear about the (non-)brick, as I tend to prefer a light plugins folder. *:D

Cape Cod / clapboard houses definitely sound like a good idea, especially slope-tolerant ones just like youe Hamilton series! I love it when I can have family homes on hillsides without the lots looking goofy because of ridiculous retaining walls or square building foundations that cut the lot apart.

Wow - that water texture on the pool looks insanely good. Good idea too with the timed swimmer props, should look marvelous once it's done.

The houses look lovely as well *:). Keep up the awesome work!

• Original Poster
  • Hah yes @T Wrecks - I hate it when those ridiculous retaining walls show up. SC4 never fails to remind me of my grandparents' house with its monolithic concrete wall/walk-out basement :D So I guess in a sense the vanilla houses are realistic... but for 99% of houses, I'll be doing what I did with my last set - building slope-friendly decks in the back so there's some detail to unearth when placed on the slopes.

On 4/5/2017 at 11:18 AM, korver said:

Wow - that water texture on the pool looks insanely good. Good idea too with the timed swimmer props, should look marvelous once it's done.

The houses look lovely as well *:). Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you! Honestly, I am surprised with how well it turned out. It's nice when skill and luck mix in just the right way! ;)

And for the rest of you... don't worry, I didn't forget:

k3EC97t.png

Grunge seems to be the way to your hearts. :wub: ...and I am more than happy to oblige!

Yes...Yeeees!!!The murky Waters of the Hudson River demand more Barges and rusty swimmy Thingies.....

The texturing is not from this World,you literally can see the structural Grid under the Metal where heavy Loads left some Dents.

• Original Poster
  • On 4/9/2017 at 0:06 PM, Hotwheeler said:

Yes...Yeeees!!!The murky Waters of the Hudson River demand more Barges and rusty swimmy Thingies.....

The texturing is not from this World,you literally can see the structural Grid under the Metal where heavy Loads left some Dents.

Thank you! :) I must be Satan in that case... because the devil really is in the details! (hahahaha)

props to whoever can figure out what this is:

nZZn7t2.png

It'll be part of a pack. Barges, walls, and more! First released in Cities Skylines, then SC4.

Well, I'll be darned if this ain't tug boat's hull! Of course it's harder to tell without any information on scale/size, but the general hull shape makes me lean more towards an ocean-going tug than a harbour tug. If the aft deck was open towards the rear, it might also be an AHTS.

Come to think of it, that really is a niche that hasn't been covered by anyone so far. We've had cruise ships, military vessels, cargo ships (both ocean-going and inland), yachts, even some historical sailing vessels, at least some barges, and even an oil rig - but tug boats? Not yet, at least not to my knowledge.

This is going to be good. *rubs hands*

2 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Nope. This' gonna be an emergency rescue whistle.4007003-20170318213330-1055724063345977.... much needed when traveling on water.

(I'm totally convinced)

Well, in that case I'm hoping - against my normal position on this topic - that Bipin will consider an HD export. *:rofl:

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, T Wrecks said:

Well, I'll be darned if this ain't tug boat's hull! Of course it's harder to tell without any information on scale/size, but the general hull shape makes me lean more towards an ocean-going tug than a harbour tug. If the aft deck was open towards the rear, it might also be an AHTS.

Come to think of it, that really is a niche that hasn't been covered by anyone so far. We've had cruise ships, military vessels, cargo ships (both ocean-going and inland), yachts, even some historical sailing vessels, at least some barges, and even an oil rig - but tug boats? Not yet, at least not to my knowledge.

This is going to be good. *rubs hands*

Well everyone, I think a round of applause is in order. It looks like we have a new winner! Come on down @T Wrecks and collect your prize - an all new, 2017...

HbuZQIt.png

Chevy Mali- err, ugh... tugboat?

Yes, you guys got it right! This is it - a tugboat! And you're onto something T Wrecks - there are not a lot of tugboats out there on the STEX/LEX - harbour equipment in general, I'd argue. I've always tried to fill gaps in SC4's and especially Cities; Skyline's BATs/mods/props, but this was more so just a personal project. However, it seems like the general consensus is that you guys want this kind of stuff anyways. I am happy to oblige. :)

This brings up another point, and I'd like to get staff/user input on it beforehand: A lot of my more recent mods either have been, or will be, released for both CSL and SC4. How do we feel about posting some CSL content in this thread? That content will be for SC4 as well of course (for instance, the low poly model in the picture above uses the low-poly CSL hull. The smoother SC4 hull is visible in the back). Effectively, and certainly at this stage of BATing, the models for either game are the same. Only later do I tweak things.

From a practical standpoint, it's a lot easier to manage one thread with all my content. Upon release, I'd be posting links to SC4 (STEX/LEX) and CSL (STEX/Steam Workshop) downloads. That's really the only major change. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, Hotwheeler said:

I`m with @T Wrecks,it looks like a Tugboat Hull.

I also agree,we need Tugboats...and Barges (the only Barges i know so far are the wooden Barges from the historic Haror Set...)

Agreed! I'm happy to fill that gap. It's what I try and do with other BATs/mods, so I can certainly carry on with that sentiment.

4 hours ago, Fantozzi said:

Nope. This' gonna be an emergency rescue whistle.4007003-20170318213330-1055724063345977.... much needed when traveling on water.

(I'm totally convinced)

Ah, something for April fools. Or at least a monument to sailors lost at sea - I accept this as a challenge for making a tasteful sculpture of a rescue whistle you'll actually want to place in your cities. :bunny:

• Original Poster
  • Things have been on hold for a while due to IRL business; lots of good stuff is happening to me IRL, but it's stuff which eats up my free time. You caught me at a good time though @Tyberius06 - updates have been made.

As for those recent projects, they are still going on. They're on the backburner now, but I've slowly, methodically been chipping away at them for the few free moments I get right now!