12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

That's awesome research Corina, replacing some old discussions. There was a recently updated necrotic thread about these balloons. The two threads should be cross-linked (including a link from the old-thread's OP to here), and the old thread should be locked so that both its OP and final post come here, but people arriving here can check back to there.

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

That's awesome research Corina, replacing some old discussions.

Thanks. I'm glad you find it useful. *:)  (I'm a wee bit perplexed why you reacted confused to it tho.)

3 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

There was a recently updated necrotic thread about these balloons.

I'm guessing you are referring to my post here where I replied to @That Retro Guy's question by quoting the entirety of this old post. The old thread was not bumped and @black_coat derived the interpretations from observation of the game and then logical speculation. The thread it is located in is still buried a zillion pages deep in the forums list so I really see no need to add a linky to it nor to lock it. *;)

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, catty-cb said:

I've never paid much attention to the MySims makes you wonder what MAXIS was planning on doing in the future for all the ones that were never used.

I usually drop one of myself and a Bella in each city tile just for the fun of it. I have a good imagination so the simplified interactions with them are cute. They each get a low wealth home and throughout my building I'll eventually have some areas with medium wealth residential and a small handful of high wealth. As I'm finishing up that city tile I'll then drop in some education near each of MySims so they can start their paths towards the upper two wealth levels. (Or that can be done with a simple, single City Museum, good city-wide health coverage, and lots of in game running time.)

I imagine the unused black ones were created first and then the Green and Red ones from those. Maxis prolly decided many of the black ones were not needed for random convos. I do know just enough about modding and Lua scripting that I'll give it a try for fixing the bugged triggers and adding new ones. I imagine the number of balloon hex associations are locked down just like the ordinances inasmuch as it's likely no new ones can be added. However, if those unused ones are callable, they could then be altered for other types of information display. (I don't yet know how to replace an existing .png in a .dat file, but I'm sure one of the tools can do this.)

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

(I don't yet know how to replace an existing .png in a .dat file, but I'm sure one of the tools can do this.)

You can do it with Ilive Reader ("Insert file" command).

Replace .png You can with SC4 Tool too...

13 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

a wee bit perplexed why you reacted confused to it

It's just a lot to take in, and there are still some mysteries to be solved (perhaps because some bubbles are never used in the game?).

I've never used a "mySim". Are they pure sugar, or do they provide info that is not available via the graphs, queries and colored data maps?

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, jeffryfisher said:

I've never used a "mySim". Are they pure sugar, or do they provide info that is not available via the graphs, queries and colored data maps?

As best I can tell they are a cute addition for peeps playing with story line imaginations. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be anything one can learn from them that the data views and graphs don't already show.

SimCity 4 game mechanics aren´t as responsive as we would like. Power, water, traffic fine. Crime - Emergencies reasonable. Healthcare, wealth it responds rather slugish ! Bombe a neighbourhood with hospitals, clinics, parks the effects may only have effect in sometime non measurable ! Annoying are the icons of sims who have a high education level and won´t move on to a better neighbourhood !

Sincerely yours,

kschmidt

I find it amazing that SC4 had so many game mechanics, and such a shame that they werent finished. I can imagine what this game could have been if they had finished it all, and left the game code open completely for modding, a bit like the Arma games. 

I sometimes use the MySim function. It is just for the fun of it, but it does add an extra level of personality to the city, knowing that you've got something resembling a living individual roaming the streets and giving you feedback about what you've created. I think it encourages you to build more conciously, more people-oriented, and stimulates creativity, imagination, and common sense.

It also reminds me of Tamagotchi for some reason.... ;)

Great work Corina. Always helpful!

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, kim026 said:

I sometimes use the MySim function. It is just for the fun of it, but it does add an extra level of personality to the city, knowing that you've got something resembling a living individual roaming the streets and giving you feedback about what you've created. I think it encourages you to build more conciously, more people-oriented, and stimulates creativity, imagination, and common sense.

This sums up MySims very nicely. It embodies the spirit of what they are good for and why they can be fun. *:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Doni98
        Hello everyone! I'm back with another cemetery for your sims!
        This is big! Perfect for big cities or any city!

DEPENDENCIES
        Peg Memorial Park Kit

Installation
        Simply put the file in Documents/SimCity4/Plugins
        I changed the name of the mod at the last moment because is not medium, IT'S BIG!
        ENJOY!

• By Michael RT
        For what I’m trying to accomplish, as far as I can tell, I should be using either SC4 Tool or the iLive Reader. I would like to be able to edit certain parameters of buildings in the game. For example, changing the radius for police, fire, education, etc. I would also like to change how much power is generated from power plants, how much water is generated by water pumps and towers, etc. Basically do everything (hopefully) that can be done in SimCity 3000 here.

I’ve tried both SC4 Tool and iLive Reader but can’t seem to find the buildings I’m searching for. I’m truly starting from scratch and need some assistance on either of these programs. Any help is greatly appreciated!
      • By Eusebio Ptolomeu
        So, I've downloaded NAM and installed it successfully in my computer, however I would like to know what the "Network Addon Mod Controller", the last item in the Build Highways and Ramps section. It looks like some kind of plopabel object, but I can't place it, wherever I try. Is it just to show the current version of my NAM?
      • By Eusebio Ptolomeu
        I admit I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but this is more of a tip I have for anyone who is facing problems with neighborhood deals involving trash. I've seen lots of people complainining that they can't export garbage from city A to city B, even if city A has a garbage problem and city B has a lot of capacity to deal (or at least it looks like it does). Now, as I said, it might look like everything is okay with city B when it comes to garbage, but there is a chance (at least this was always the case for me) that you're not looking as deep at this city as the simulation. Let me explain:
         There are 2 ways people always use to check garbage in a city, ex. city B. First, is there piles of trash on the roads and streets? If you click the garbage data map, do you see lots of yellow-orange-red squares scattered around? When you check the graph, is the green line (amount of trash) above the blue (capacity)? If that's the case, then this city has a garbage problem, and you should tackle this before importing trash from the other cities. Now, I'm sure you already knew that. Your problem is that you neither see piles of trash in the streets, nor any indication of trash in the data map. Even in the graph, you should have your trash line below your capacity one. And, despite all of this, you still can't import more garbage. I had this issue from years until I figured something that, so far, has worked for me and perharps it might work for you too: it looks like, when considering if the city could import garbage or not, the simulation takes into account the current TREND in the garbage department of your city, not your current situation.
        What this means: going back to the example of the otherwise perfectly fine city above, it's true that, for now, this city doesn't have a garbage problem. But let the simulation run for some months and look at the behaviour of the (and only the) green, ammount of trash, line. Forget about the blue, capacity, line entirely. Is this green line growing? Is the ammount of trash increasing in your city? Then, even though you might not have a garbage problem now, you're bound to have on in the future, and the simulation seems to take that into account. So what to do? Well, I've solved all of this problems by simpling building more Waste-to-Energy plants to burn the trash, until I start to have a descending green line. When this happens, you'll probably be able to import more trash to this city.

So this is a tip which has worked for me so far, and might help some of you out there too. Whenever you see that you can't import garbage in a city even though this city looks fine, check the garbage history graph, and see if the green line is growing: if so, build more waste-to-energy plants until you have a descending green line, and you should be able to import trash for this city once again.
      • By Eusebio Ptolomeu
        Let me first adress the very important fact that I'm not a programmer and I don't know if this solution would be viable at all, so perharps someone with a deeper understanding of the game can correct me here.
        We all know about the eternal commuter problem/loop in SC4 (otherwise, you can easily find about it here in Simtropolis). For some people, it's just a minor bug. To others like me, it's a headache. I've seen lots of ways to deal with this problem, ways which I highly recommend to anyone trying to solve it. I have a suggestion for a mod that, if feasible to make it, could solve or at least reduce this problem. The idea is based around SC4 path-finding algorithm, which prioritize the time of a trip over it's lenght. A Sim would favor a long route if it was faster than a short one, for example. So, with this in mind, my idea would be to simply penalize sims for switching over cities. In other words, the act of crossing the border alone should account for an added extra time to the route. This way, a sim would think twice before looking for a job in the next city. Now, I'm know that this idea would bring some problems:

1- I don't even know if such modding is possible in SC4. I'm trying this suggestion because, after seeing what the NAM is capable of, perharps this idea is not that impossible. I don't know myself, so anyone with a better understanding of the game can answer here.

2- An amazing thing about SimCity 4 is it's regional playing, where a Sim can live in a city and work in the next one. This mod should no prevent this from happening, it should only prioritize work within the same city

3- Is it possible for the simulation to separate sims of the city from those ones which came from the border? If so, perharps we could code a mod that prevents these sims which arise from the connection to ever consider another connection too. This would limit Sims to, at best, look for jobs in the next city, and never beyond.