CorinaMarie

C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

134 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Here's the results of my experiments with the water and land heights.  I didn't include the seawall placements as that seems to be another topic.

Water_Land_Transitions.jpg.416f8d91e74467beee20954ea1bbcf2e.jpg

So 74 and 84 are the magic numbers.  In between is the slush or underwater sand-bank.  In Region view the slush doesn't show up, it is rendered as water, but in City view more slush gradient shows up.   When water is considered inland it will appear darker/deeper and water transport automata did not appear in inland waters.

Using automata generators I found that the non-network connected boats and ships will float on any surface below 84, the cruise ship especially easily.  The networked ferry will plop at 84 and ferries will run ok at 74. 

74 seems to be the minimum depth for water transport.  Beach gradients extend from 84 to 92, then the grassy embankment gradients extend from 92 to 98 where rock cliffs start to take form.  

For bridges my first discovery was that a ground rail bridge will cross nicely at 92 allowing ferries underneath and with a very minimal hump.  At 96 elevated and mono rails will cross at level height allowing ferries and with no hump.  Road, ground and elevated highways cross at level height at 100.   At 110 most bridges will cross with no hump and at ferry-allowed height.

I did not test using UDI because I never use it. Turning off UDI is one of the first things I do at the start of a city.  I find the UDI icons to be like flies buzzing around a plate of food.  

Below is the greyscale used in this experiment:

A_1x1_Large_257x257_Greyscale_Indexed_256_8bit.bmp

20 hours ago, huzman said:

...although I know I'm giving up a lot of goodies. Must try those missions somewhere though.

I think each "goody" is available via other accomplishments, so you're not necessarily giving up anything, just one route to each. If you decide that you really need to unlock things for your city, then there's a cheat for that.

10 hours ago, RandyE said:

So 74 and 84 are the magic numbers... ferries will run ok at 74. 

So if my ferry's water end is "slush" (shallower than 74), then it won't carry passengers? That makes 74 a magic number indeed, because deeper water causes more lot-depression when plopping, The ferry, port, garbage-dock etc seems to average the elevations, sometimes sinking a lot so deeply that I can't connect roads or rails to it.

Fortunately, my garbage docks and container ports don't seem to care about water depth (or bridge heights). I'll keep an eye on my ferry terminals. I may need to resculpt their sites and replop the terminals. If so, then at least one ancient thread about how to plop coastal facilities (and advising shallow water to ward against lot-sinking) might benefit from an update.

15 minutes ago, jeffryfisher said:

So if my ferry's water end is "slush" (shallower than 74), then it won't carry passengers?

In my experiment I only tested the levels and visuals of function, but not the actual functionality of any of the placements (such as ferry passengers).   I also didn't test the Marina directly because I was using a pure vanilla plugin folder with only a money cheat so no rewards available.  As far as I could tell no water placement would plop lower than 84.  I didn't test to see if ferries would travel across slushy areas between 74 and 84, but they sailed nicely across the 74 water level.   I think if the ferries are actually seen then it means somebody jumped on board for a ride.    

On 30/3/2017 at 6:20 PM, CorinaMarie said:

I believe it now falls in the Abandonware category. I'll attach it here with the caveat that if Ordio does not want it to be available it will be removed. The file is a Windoze .msi installer file. I've also included an archive of the help page. It's in the Mozilla Archive Format so you will need Firefox and that addon to view it. (It's not required to use SCRACC.)

SCRACC.zip

I can't download SCRACC.ZIP with this error....

SignatureDoesNotMatchtx0000000000000003b0d0c-0059e00f9a-1eca4-nyc3a1eca4-nyc3a-nyc

:(

• Original Poster
  • 19 minutes ago, AsimPika3172 said:

I can't download SCRACC.ZIP with this error....

Phooey. We are going thru some growing pains as we've moved files and such. Dirk is working on this one right now since I reported it. Try back in an hour or so and let me know if you get it then. If all else fails I can re-upload it under the new file system. (But we'd rather fix the existing bug.)

Edit: @AsimPika3172 Woot! Dirk did that fast. Try the linky now and it should work.

First off, @CorinaMarie, I would like to say I think this tutorial/method is great. Lately I've been sucked into mapmaking however I never really moved beyond MS paint as a kid in the 90's. I've always been more of a pen and pencil sketchbook artist sorta unwilling to embrace the digital revolution. With this tutorial I was easily able to jump in and get my feet wet. Thanks for making it so straight forward and easy to follow.

Second, have any of you out there got any tricks up your sleeves for adding noise or randomness to a GIMP grayscale heightmap?

I haven't been able to get any good cloud shots lately but what to use my own stock/base image to make my map more personal. With varying amounts of success I've had some fun using this method on close up shots I've taken of eroded rocks from my local beach, Christmas tree lights and their glow, and other random croppings from my photo library. They all come out a little too smooth though. I've been doing Gaussian Blur to initially clean up my heightmaps a little, you know... taking out the ugly spikes and pits. But I would like to add some more variation after the fact. Is there another filter type that I haven't stumbled upon yet that will lead to something like this? I'm trying to avoid manually painting or smudging in ridges and cracks in the environment.

I have a feeling if I could wrap my head around layering an image things would be headed in the right direction. I wouldn't mind using a sourced image, such as someone else's clouds *;), as my 2nd layer. But that overwhelms me each time I try it out. If anyone can link me to some simple instruction on the subject that would be great but it's not exactly what I'm looking for right now.

• Original Poster
  • 7 hours ago, MJWitski said:

I would like to say I think this tutorial/method is great.

Thanks! I'm glad to see you like it. *:)

7 hours ago, MJWitski said:

Second, have any of you out there got any tricks up your sleeves for adding noise or randomness to a GIMP grayscale heightmap?

Oodles of them. *;) Basically you want to explore the Filters options in GIMP. When I've played around with this I do them before the GBlur.

So, here we are in GIMP in the Filters menu, mouse over Noise, then over to Hurl... The hover tip says: "Completely randomize a fraction of the pixels".

01 Filter Menu.jpg

^ Note: The grayscale shown here already had the noise added. (I couldn't easily find my pre-finished one, but I'm just showing the menu choices.)

Click that and here's the popup dialog box where I've adjusted the Randomization to 10%:

02 Hurl 10%.jpg

Then I added the Gaussian Blur:
    03 Gray.jpg

Here we are with it rendered in the game and in one of the city tiles:

04 Vanilla.jpg

^ Grid is on to better see the effect of the noise. No terrain mods loaded in this pic.

Here's the same pic, but with my fav terrain, rock, water, and beach mod;

05 Columbus.jpg

^ This makes it a bit easier to see the lumpiness.

Zoomed in a bit showing vanilla:

06 Vanilla.jpg

And same with terrain stuff:

07 Columbus.jpg

A lot of this whole method is trial and error. Pick various filters and settings and give them a try.

Just getting back into playing SimCity 4 after long absence, and wanted to create my own regions, but was getting totally frustrated. Then what a miracle I came across you wonderful post. Love your hints on using the different features in GIMP, am also using the SMUDGE TOOL.

So am now busily making several of my own regions.

Many thanks for your wonderful article, much appreciated indeed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mayorgreener
        Hello, I just saw this image and thought of sharing with the SC4 community.
        We can use this underpass system in our cities. I know many of you already use the NAM underpass though.

Thank you

• By MushyMushy
        I present to you Kogyo Waste Services, a neat little waste-handling company. If you need some trash gone, you know who to call....
        ---
        KWS is a fully-batted building/lot combo that fills a 3x3 I-D lot. It can help break up the monotony with its characteristic yellow roof and parking lot filled with yellow trucks. The building is a partially accurate rendition of this small industrial building in Osaka:

Maxisnite and Darknite are both supported, and the bat features TruNite lights. Download the appropriate version depending on whether you use SimFox's Day and Nite Mod (or an equivalent) or not.
        -Installation: Simply unzip the the downloaded .zip file into your plugins folder. There aren't any extraneous files in the folder (like images) so you don't have to worry about deleting anything.
        -Building Plop: The building is listed as MM_JPN_ID_3x3_KogyoWaste in the Building Plop window. This requires Buggi's Extra Cheats DLL. Keep in mind that plopped industrial buildings will not generate freight truck automata.
        ---
        All stats automatically generated by PIMX.

Many thanks to the various people who have helped me along the way, and I hope you enjoy this!
        -Mushy
      • By tariely
        Tariel-Kazuki Street Stalls v1 & v2

I recenty uploaded the lost original, which I have been using liberally for years. With some problems, though, that I thought would be nice to save new users from, like missing props ; also, the pieces were not lighted, which is my personal bugaboo. Last but not least, I would have liked the v2 pieces to have some indication of direction, therefore I added some SPOT arrows in my relot.
        So here is a new version of Kazuki’s lots, trying to solve those little problems. I just licked them up and lit them and gave them new menu icons. All Hail goes to Kazuki for making them in the first place.
        You don’t need the original but it’s here.
        Those are neutral lots, eyecandy only.

BSC_MegaProps_Gascooker_vol1.dat
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=397
        NetworkAddonMod_Props.dat :
        In NAM 32 and up
        PorkieProps-Vol1.dat
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11421-porkie-props-vol1-european-street-accessories/
        PorkieProps-Vol2.dat :
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11420-porkie-props-vol2-seasonal-street-trees/
        RVTNightlights (included)
        SPOT_C-rc100.dat (for plopping directions)
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/24509-spot/
        Tamorr_Family_Prop_v1.dat
        in Tamorr’s Resource 2.05 :
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21940-tamorrs-resource/
        wmp_power_props01.dat  in WMP Power Lots :
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26376-wmp-power-lots/
      • By tariely
        I recenty uploaded the lost original, which I have been using liberally for years. With some problems, though, that I thought would be nice to save new users from. (1) the bus stop never showed up, (2) neither did the dirt circle for the trees (the original used the Invisible One…) ; (3) they were not well lighted, which is my personal bugaboo. Also, last but not least, (4) I never knew exactly on which side the street barriers were, and had to re-plop several times to get them right.
        So here is a new version of those Kazuki lots, trying to solve all those problems, with a little bit of SPOT to help with the plopping. All Hail goes to Kazuki for making them in the first place.I just licked them up and lighted them and gave them new menu icons.
        You don’t need the original but it’s here.
        NB : if you have a Sandstone Mod, it will replace the Maxis pavement.
        NB2 : In case you are wondering, no, the bus stop is not functional, sorry. It is now !
        ------------- 
        BSC_MEGA-Props-CP Vol01.dat :
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1180
        Murimk stands-simple.dat :
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25681-murimk-bicycle-props-with-mmp-bikers/
        JENXPARIS_Prop_Pack_VOl02.dat :
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1612
        NetworkAddonMod_Props.dat : In NAM 32 and up
        PorkieProps-Vol1.dat :
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11421-porkie-props-vol1-european-street-accessories/
        PorkieProps-Vol2.dat :
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11420-porkie-props-vol2-seasonal-street-trees/
        RVTNightlights (included)
        SG_BusStop04.dat (if you’re not already using SG Bus Stops. Which maybe you should. They’re about the only ones reasonably to scale, with WMP’s and the RTMT) : in SG Bus Stops :
        http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1618
        SPOT_C-rc100.dat (for the plopping directions) :
        https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/24509-spot/

Tamorr_Family_Prop_V1.dat :
        in Tamorr’s Resource 2.05
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21940-tamorrs-resource/
        wmp_power_props01.dat : in WMP Power Lots :
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26376-wmp-power-lots/

• By Cougar2004
        Purpose
        This mod fixes a problem with the default Maxis Space Port, which claims it "Provides a boost to high-tech industry" however, it does not. Maxis forgot to include this boost, therefore it boosts nothing but costs and some slight commercial desirability.

This mod fixes that. A significant yet realistic (non-radical) boost to High Tech Industry is now provided. Placing the Space Port now provides 150,000 High-Tech Industry Cap Relief. This is well within the range of other similar buildings such as the Advanced Research Center, University, and Marina.

Alternate Version
        For those who feel the default Maxis Space Port uses far too much power for its size and function, a second Mod file is provided in this download. In addition to fixing the High-Tech Boost, this ALT Mod version lowers power requirements from the default 700 to 219. This should allow most cities to stay safely under the power abilities of a single power plant with the Space Port placed.

Additionally, the included ALT Mod version also increases the Space Port from 100 R$ Jobs to a more realistic spread of 8 R$, 104 R$$, and 16 R$$$, to cover the range of employees from Astronauts down to Janitorial staff. Water consumed is decreased slightly from 360 to 248. Monthly Cost is lowered from $400/mo to $300/mo. And Bulldoze Cost of $4200 is now $3900. No other changes have been made to how the Space Port looks or functions.

Files Included - ( *** USE ONLY ONE of these *** )
        - 'SpacePort Fix Mod.dat' (Fix only)
        - 'SpacePort Fix Alt Mod.dat' (Fix + some additional changes)
        Compatibility
        SimCity 4 Deluxe or Rush Hour Required for this Mod.
        This mod is safe to use with all other known Mods released as of this date on the STEX. (The AC Functional Airports Mod found at SC4Devotion.com modds this building in a large pack, so you may only use this Mod or that one.)
        Dependencies
        None.

Additional Notes:
        See included ReadMe.txt for Installation, Uninstall, and further details.
        Impact of this Mod will only be seen when you have met all SC4 requirements for High-Tech Industry and have placed the Space Port (from Rewards Menu) in your city, with this Mod installed.