Public Transit Addendum  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

• Single Rail Tracks/Stations
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)

1,145 posts in this topic Last Reply

2 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

It's a work in progress. You probably saw it in one of my screenshots, like this one

Reveal hidden contents

ae8gWmt.png

I've also working on some custom Node Meshes (Junctions)

Reveal hidden contents

374Ojui.png

Thank you, looks really nice. Looking forward to release, but it was not my intention to stress you!

What would be the benefit of having a Rail Overhaul mod? I can't really think of what needs to be added that we don't already have? and even if you implement it, how would it be any different from using metro?

11 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

What would be the benefit of having a Rail Overhaul mod? I can't really think of what needs to be added that we don't already have? and even if you implement it, how would it be any different from using metro?

For now the plan is to just make everything look better. If you have any ideas for functional additions, feel free to share them. Functionality is @andreharv's department so you'll need his answer. 

3 minutes ago, Tim The Terrible said:

If you have any ideas for functional additions, feel free to share them.

Curved/dynamic platform creation like it was in CIM2?

11 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

For now the plan is to just make everything look better. If you have any ideas for functional additions, feel free to share them. Functionality is @andreharv's department so you'll need his answer. 

in terms of computing power, that seems like an unnecessary thing - not that it wouldn't look lovely, but I suppose as long as the mod basically overwrites the existing prefabs and doesn't add new ones, otherwise there'll have to be some sort of compatibility mod (like train converter) to change the prefabs to the modded one, and I think that it's just too messy a situation.

I'm personally hoping that i doesn't happen - I can't really think of any functionality  (that's actually achievable with this game) that we need that MOM doesn't cover. As selfish as it sounds I just hope you guys put your efforts into something more worthwhile (but of course you should do what motivates you)

On a side note: If middle platform station tracks are added i hope you just add them to ETST, and not create a separate mod for them.

11 hours ago, hitzu said:

Curved/dynamic platform creation like it was in CIM2?

Dynamic isn't possible for C:S because the stations are actually prefabs (individual networks) unlike the bus/tram systems that just plop stops on any road/tram network, not needing a separate station prefab to do so.

having curved stations is possible, but not ideal - when a train spawns on a curved station track, it spawns straight, disregarding the curve until it starts moving - then it jumps to the track.

@Bad Peanut What's wrong with a visual overhaul? Are you okay with the grey blobs they call 'rails'?

We will add better meshes (similar to MOM) and fix the textures. If your PC can't handle it, don't use it. Same story with NExT. At the moment we are not planning to add new Prefabs.

Thank you for your feedback though!

13 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

having curved stations is possible, but not ideal - when a train spawns on a curved station track, it spawns straight, disregarding the curve until it starts moving - then it jumps to the track.

Who says that it could not be fixed?

13 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

Dynamic isn't possible for C:S because the stations are actually prefabs (individual networks) unlike the bus/tram systems that just plop stops on any road/tram network, not needing a separate station prefab to do so.

Well. there is a shader that makes meshes to deform following the land curvature i.e. Z coordinate. Is there no way to rotate it somehow in order to bend meshes horizontally?

24 minutes ago, hitzu said:

Well. there is a shader that makes meshes to deform following the land curvature i.e. Z coordinate. Is there no way to rotate it somehow in order to bend meshes horizontally?

No, that's not possible. But it would be possible to create a special station track that includes the platforms (just like the sidewalk of a road).

14 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

@Bad Peanut What's wrong with a visual overhaul? Are you okay with the grey blobs they call 'rails'?

We will add better meshes (similar to MOM) and fix the textures. If your PC can't handle it, don't use it. Same story with NExT. At the moment we are not planning to add new Prefabs.

Thank you for your feedback though!

nothing's wrong with a visual overhaul ;) I can take or leave the blobs. I just wouldn't fancy myself doing all that work just for the visual effect - but I'm glad you guys have the stamina for it.

14 hours ago, boformer said:

Who says that it could not be fixed?

No one ;) but feel free to volunteer if it becomes a thing to have curved stations

15 hours ago, Tim The Terrible said:

Are you okay with the grey blobs they call 'rails'?

I'm not, especially after playing Transport Fever...

• Original Poster
  • 16 hours ago, boformer said:

No, that's not possible. But it would be possible to create a special station track that includes the platforms (just like the sidewalk of a road).

@boformer: FYI that is how the rendered MOM underground stations are made.

Anyway an update on how things are going:  I decided start by knocking out some compatibility issues that arose with some of the stations.  So far, I got Joak's airports working as well as various other metros that people were saying didn't work.  However, there are some stations that had really crappy paths (zigzags and paths that started and ended in the same place).  I tried my best to remedy some of these but there is only so much you can fix).  Anyway, I will release this fix soon and then @Tim The Terrible we can get started on those single tracks *;)

Sounds great. Shout out to all Asset/Modders who work and still find time to create.  

P.S. Cant wait for single metro tracks.  *:rofl:

47 minutes ago, Mr_Maison said:

The single metro tracks should finally get us to making express/local stations! Is it at all possible to make tunnels that can support 4 tracks? It would be nice to see elevated and underground lines with 3-4 tracks for express stops.

You can create that with creativity. No real need for that tbh.... I dont wann give modders a lot of extra work, but you can create it yourself

42 minutes ago, Johan_91 said:

You can create that with creativity. No real need for that tbh.... I dont wann give modders a lot of extra work, but you can create it yourself

Here in NYC, the tunnels with local/express lines have tunnels where you can see all 4 tracks most of the time. And I'm willing to help make it happen in game if it's possible. :) Currently tunnels only support 2 tracks at most for obvious reasons.

hey @andreharv you know when placing assets that have vanilla underground metro stations and MOM allows us to change the height/length of that station track, why does it affect "harbor road" net segments as well? Is there a way to exclude this particular road network from having its height changed?

3 hours ago, TransitAuthority said:

@andreharv I've also been having problems lately where if you don't even change the height, length, or angle of a metro station, it won't let you place it. However, only if you change the angle it will let you place it.

I've had this issue as well on a few metro stations (one of them being one of those "urban" stations from the workshop).

10 hours ago, europe.au said:

I've had this issue as well on a few metro stations (one of them being one of those "urban" stations from the workshop).

Yeah, exactly. I really like those and they fit my theme perfectly, but it sucks that I can't even place it properly.