• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
andreharv

Additional Public Transit

Public Transit Addendum   187 members have voted

1. 1. Which expansions to rail based public transit would you like me to work on?

• Single Rail Tracks/Stations
    • Rendered Rail Tunnels
    • High Speed Rail (new network type)
    • Above Ground Subways/Metro (pretty much new network type)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

975 posts in this topic

I feel having underground stations for rail negates the need for above ground metro.  I would like to see underground tram stops.  High speed rail would be good if it connects to outside networks. Finally i like the idea of one track stations although i wonder if there is a way to have trains wait at a passing rail. Otherwise you couldnt put 2 trains on aline or they will block each other at some point. 

Overall very interested in mor PT options  as that is why i play the game

1 person likes this

You can change the speed limit of the rails by T++v2 and TM:PE.

I'd like to see overground metro.

I'd like to see single-rail track too, but I am satisfied with the existing mod One-Way Train Tracks at the moment.

I saw your single rail track experiments. We need that!

5 people like this

Would there be a way to have trains wait at a station until the line between two stations is clear? With out knowing anything about coding it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to try and implement.. 

1 hour ago, sachizm said:

Would there be a way to have trains wait at a station until the line between two stations is clear? With out knowing anything about coding it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to try and implement.. 

I believe there is a mod to do this with busses. Trains should be possible too.

@sachizm To put it simply, the 1L rail is one way.  It will be in the direction that you draw it, similar to a 1 way road.  while using it in two directions is def possible, like you guys have said, the logic will be a serious pain in the neck and it may not be worth the trouble but we'll see.The good news is that these tracks are pretty nimble and like the trams, making a terminating loop is rather simple.

@mikamaty Hope I'm not wrong (especially since I kinda helped build it) but T++ V2 only allows you to set a max speed of 120km/h.  Current rail is 150km/h.  Besides, you cannot select rail segments with the tool.  Nonetheless, as mentioned above, this stuff would probably still be developed in the order it is listed (if at all lol).  

@boformer Thanks!  TBH, making some good progress.  Ground and elevated are pretty much done working on slope and tunnel ATM.

Thanks for your feedback.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, andreharv said:

the logic will be a serious pain in the neck and it may not be worth the trouble but we'll see.

I think it will be worth it. The same logic could be applied to roads and tram tracks.

Well now that I took a moment to think about it, it may not be too painful (the 2 way logic).  I may be wrong but it seems like the logic already exists for station rail since incoming trains can stop on either side of the track.  If I could harness this AI, i would love to apply it to the suicide/turning lanes in Network Extensions.  However, if I did make the rails 2 way, I would also have a conventional one way option as well/first. 

3 people like this

Sorry double post...pics below :)

1L rail is about 90% done.  the last 10% will probably take forever because...that's how this stuff usually works.  This version will be 1 way.  After this, I will work more on making 1L station tracks models for modders.  Then I may move on to 2 way 1L tracks...or perhaps subway lol.

Amazing work, andreharv. The dedication you and many others have toward modding this incredible game is unfathomable. I wish you only the best of luck with the rest of your work!

2 people like this

Amazing work! How about more underground rail stations (it's so much better than the default metro network)?

In that case, I would recommend you vote for the above ground subway/metro.  Honestly, imho it makes more sense to fix metro rather than make rail into something it is typically not.  I did not mention this but once above ground metro is made, many of the existing models (metro vechicle, tracks, tube, etc) will have to be redone so it will look more appetizing.  Just speculating though.

1 person likes this

Hey any ETA on the single rails? And just to be sure, are you also making a station version of them? Because i'm thinking about making a station or more when this useful beauty comes out! From what has been said and from those screens this has so much potential! 

Great work so far!

This may come as good or bad news to you but I talked to the lead programmer on TAM/NExt and it is looking like this will be added on to that.  Reason being that this is going to be one of many new addons for public transport and that mod already has the framework for such a compilation.  Simply put, if I was doing it on my own, it would take a month or more to release.  That said, the Network Extensions Project will have a new update within the next week or 2.  Currently I am working on the single rail bridge truss.  I will then work on single rail station tracks (you would build your station on top of this).  Can't promise the station track will be done in time for the next release but it shouldn't be too long.

2 people like this

Sounds like a good solution. That mod has the option to only enable what you want to use, so if some people only want to use your single rail, then they can just disable all the other things. No reason to do extra work if it's not needed. ;) I'd say this is good news. :D 

2 people like this

Thats great news, single tracks will be quite nice indeed!  Excellent that they're going in the Network Extensions project too.
I voted for the rail tunnels, but thats just because im a FP ride along junkie :D any of them would be greatly appreciated additions. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Macronomicus said:

[...] any of them would be greatly appreciated additions. 

Yeah, that's right.  :D

Very cool! :D Hope you're feeling better - being sick is never fun. I'm looking forward to the next NExt update and to eventually this. :D I remember seeing some train stations on the workshop, that used sharp angles mod and the regular rail to split up tracks. (I imagine trains might use the other tracks though that are hidden by the station :P ) They would be so much better with this! :D

3 people like this

Amazing! It looks especially nice with bridges! Take your time, it looks like CSL will last for a while... :)

2 people like this

I would like to ask will the station track work separately ? just can be easy to create quadruple track ?

The station track is a network type like the other types.  The station building you build around it is entirely up to you (short answer...yes).

The station pictured above is a proof of concept and will not be released.  I will be kinda relying on generous mod creators to make stations...For now

1 person likes this

Wow, another awesome thread I missed. >.<

The way I see it, a train is a train if all is used for local service. Regional lines are a different beast. The regular rail on a closed network works fine as regular and elevated commuter systems, I never used Metro since launch. We already have the capability of underground train stations. What we really need to make it a complete package is the rail tunnels that could lead into underground stations and we have a full subway system already. So even though I see rail tunnels is the least voted, I say it's extremely valuable more than many realize....so that was my first vote. 

With the single rail tracks we can make island platforms and even make express service for elevated over larger roads like avenues and Metro/Rail line stations under them without using any "Metro" networks. I think a full subway/Metro system is already more than halfway done with what we have today.

2 people like this

There are still a few issues with train subways, for example the costs, capacity values and hardcoded pathfinding preferences.

Subways are not real trains, so I would like to see a proper subway system with overground tracks.

1 person likes this

There are sunken rail stations available for railway, they function though it has been a bit of a pain when creating a route since it doesn't show the line properly. It would be nice to have both conjoined so you could integrate transport types as in major cities such as London where parts of the Underground and the Overground share networks but with them being split in game I imagine it would just take a lot of messing about to even get them to play along properly. I'd much rather have the ability to change bridge meshes so you can have more choices than the default type, especially for designing elevated rail so they go along arches or on a brick wall or something. Oh and zoneable bus roads and

Very nice seeing those single line tracks though. Biderectional single track might require passing loops and additional coding for paths though to prevent trains getting stuck at one point, unless they just go through each other. Would make for some very nice other route configurations such as properly laying out a railway junction for lines with heavy traffic (so they don't cross each other)

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

•  
  • Similar Content

• By grahamdunstan
      Please lets fill in this survey to give others how and where to improve for more performance and FPS.
    • By pcwhiz24
      This is the story of a humble little town with big dreams, dreams to become a metropolis, and overcome major obstacles.
       In this journal, the Mayor (Me) will take on the challenge of starting with the zero simoleons mod, and build a city that will reach 1 million sims population, from nothing! (On hard mode of course)
      I can't take this on alone without sharing this, so I will document every step and every obstacle I encounter to ultimately achieve such a huge undertaking, and I will need all the help I can get! Together, we shall do this, test your knowledge of this game and help this city grow.
      The screenshots will be a mix of unedited with UI, and more aesthetic ones for the story. This journal will go in depth into the struggles the mayor and how he builds a city in an unforgiving world.
      The World... Also, these cities are in the same planet as The World Journal!   Where does this take place?   Note that this does not take place on Earth but on another Earth-like planet that hasn't been discovered in real life. There will be way more information on this later on in the story, including space shots but here's the general summary:  It is close to our sun as well in our Galaxy. The differences in these worlds are, it's slightly smaller than Earth, (gravity 95% of Earth, 100 pound on Earth = 95 pounds on here). The planet is referred to as "Earth" by it's inhabitants, but we have no name for it yet. It has two smaller moons as opposed to one, and due to it's tilt and moons, every 10-20 years, there is major climate instability for about a year. Instead of Countries, it is divided into several republics their sub-divisions. The two main ones to worry about are the Blue Republic and White Republic. Cities can register once their considered a "city" to them depending on their political affiliations. (Democratic, etc.) There are many cultures around the world. White republic are primarily English/American-like, while Blue Republic are more European, English, Italian, French, etc. There are wars, there is famine, and problems just like our Earth, with the climate leveling the playing field every decade or two.     I will be using no cheats, no demand mods or any major game-altering mods (other than the zero simoleon mod). Only NAM with CLASSIC traffic controller (the standard Maxis one) installed. Basically, this is almost the same UN-modded SC4 deluxe game but with cosmetic mods and buildings.
      Before I start, I choose my starting Mods, NAM being the first one of course:
      Note the classic traffic Simulator is selected, to make it harder for me
      Here is the plugins folder I'm using for all this:
      If there's any mods you guys recommend, please don't hesitate to tell me! (unless it's a cheaty-mod!) Basically...this is it for now. All the mods I need.
      I will add many more mods to this game, whether this could be larger custom BAT schools/hospitals or fire/police stations. The only rule is: No Cheat mods or anything that gives me an "unfair advantage." If it makes the game harder however, then I'll take it! 

The Beginning...
      We start out on a large map, with plenty of land for 1 million sims, and a beach south east. It has lots of forests, a few small hills and large plains. The only downside is that the location of the map is highly conductive to super-cell thunderstorms, making it highly prone to tornadoes and waterspouts (kind of like tornado alley), flooding and electrical storms.
      The settlers find the perfect spot, a nice little patch surrounded by beautiful lodge poles, oaks and many other types of trees:
      Take note, there is absolutely NO money to start with. How is this possible, you may ask?
      With a nice little $5000 loan of course!
      The city shall be named "Woodland Metropolis II"
      With no other choice, we will have to start our city in debt!
      We'll have to spend our money wisely, and we shall start very small...
      A small simple street.
      It's all we need for now. The Windmill seems like the perfect plant to begin with. We lower the budget to 10!
      A challenge like this really makes you keep mind of your budget, and to truly minimize your expenses. It'll be a while before I become profitable!
      We have a nice, small little town! Unfortunately, we're already at a loss...We're losing $30 a month, most of which is coming from the loan payments!
      Two small shops, a few houses and two farms makes up this quaint little village. It's hard to believe that one day, this place will have 1 million sims!
      In a desperate attempt, I zoned a small industrial factory just north of the two stores;
      But this required raising the funding for the Windmill to supply the power to the hungry factory! We're making more money but we're also losing more money! This could be the beginning and the end, with only $273 left!
      (Note how the main loss is from the loans, but we can't afford to wait can we?)
      So here we stand, with our money dwindling, we are already losing this town. Is this the end? The shortest City journal ever to grace Simtropolis?
      We have three options:
      1. raise the taxes,
      2. Take out another loan
      3. Invest the rest of what we have and cross my fingers...
      Woodland Metropolis II has over 90 Sims, all low wealth, with two shops, two farms and a factory.
      We need your help! What can we do? Comment below for suggestions and we shall see in the next update if the crisis is resolved! Stay tuned...
    • By Judazzz
      Hey guys,
      I've  been enjoying Cities: Skylines basically since release day, immensely helped by all the awesome stuff the community created, and felt that after so much taking, it was time for a little giving.
      In real life I'm a front-end/C# developer, and in my free time I love to travel and run riot with my camera (and again web developing: recently my travel website went live, a labor of love/vitriolic hatred of 10 years). With that in mind, it's not surprising I ended up creating a mod that goes right after the aesthetics. The result: Ultimate Eyecandy *tadaaaa*

Some more action photo's.

Addendum April 4th, 2016:

I'm making slow but steady progress, not in the least by deciding to ditch a couple of features on my wishlist for a later stage
      Most important for the time being is to create a stable and robust base to which future features can be added. What remains are basically the features that are visible in the various screenshots.
      ETA for v1.0.0: for the time being unknown.

Wish list (not to be confused with a to-do lost - these are features I'd love to add, but not sure how feasible they are):

- setting to turn on/off building night lights at will, without messing with the actual simulation (based on what I've found so far, the two seem rather intertwined).
      - color picker to change the fog color;
      - color picker to change air pollution color;
      - slider to change the strength of 'ground wetness';
      - LUT Creator: apply various settings to a neutral LUT (color channels, brightness, contrast, lightness, etc.) and export/upload the result as a custom LUT;
      - a modular set-up: this mod will be the core, and other graphics-related mods can be integrated as 'plug-ins', each with a menu item/tab of their own. Think (orphaned) mods like Dynamic Resolution, BorderCities and/or Ambient Occlusion;
      - who knows what else I'll come up with (feel free to make suggestions!)

For who is this mod:
      - modelers that want to take screenshots of their assets in every imaginable weather/ambient condition;
      - players that like to have control over the environment when making Let's Plays;
      - players that love to have a more artistic/photographic approach to taking screenshots;
      - players that like to watch their city in different conditions without having to wait (for example until the game finally decides to let it rain);
      - anyone else

Thank you:
      - Boformer, BloodyPenguin and SamsamTS for making their mods publicly available on Github: I learned tons by just studying their mods;
      - AJ3D for helping me to get started and taking my first baby steps in the wonderful world of CSL modding!

If anyone has questions, suggestions, comments or remarks, don't hesitate to let me know! After all, this mod will be for y'alls!
    • By Bipin
      Thank you for choosing Bipin's Industry Essentials pack! This download comes packed with four growable and ploppable warehouse and factory outbuildings, three smokestacks, a massive cooling tower, two utility buildings; one for power and one for water, as well as the essential transit-enabled lots for an HD, grungy road that may be plopped over the standard Maxis ones to give some old-time appeal! Furthermore, some filler items and extra props for the lotters out there are included.

This is my largest upload to date. Don't forget to check out the pictures to see what's in store. You can expect to see "Vol. 2 - The Rust Belt" soon. Also be sure to check out my thread to see what's coming up after this: 
      community.simtropolis.com/topic/46654-bats-by-bipin/?view=getlastpost

Required Dependency Links:

http://workingman-productions.co.uk/downloads/wmp_power_lots.html
      http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27701-paengs-gridbuster-warehouses-vol01/
      http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26504-wmp-allotment-set/
      http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/26425-paengs-grunge-concrete-set/
      http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28814-paengs-grunge-ind-alleys/

Optional Dependency Link:

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27200-light-replacement-mod-lrm-v40-mega-pack/

Psst... I hope you enjoy this little Festivus/Christmas present Simtropolis. I've been pretty ill recently, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from giving all you deserving members out there a gift!
    • By DannyN
      Everytime when I open a game with the "Ploppable RICO" mod on, it shows a message with an error. Also, the mod doesn't show up ingame
      The message says:
      A Mod caused an error [ModException]
      Details:
      System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'ColossalFramework.PlatformServices.PublishedFileId' from assembly 'ColossalManaged, Version=0.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
        at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[PluginInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
        at PloppableRICO.Util.IsModEnabled (UInt64 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
        at PloppableRICO.XMLManager.Run () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
        at PloppableRICO.Loading.OnLevelLoaded (LoadMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
        at LoadingWrapper.OnLevelLoaded (UpdateMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      ModException: A Mod caused an error