Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

De Ja Vu

Police cars

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi!!!!!

I was just wondering whats the point of dispatching police cars, if they don't do anything! So far the only crime that I've witnessed, is kids toilet papering a tree, infront of a house. R there any other crimes that you can watch? Why don't they warn you obaut a crime in progress, like they warn you about fires!5.gif

I HAD THE SAME QUESTION MYSELF TOO.

IT SEEMS THAT UR CITY MUST BE REALLY F**ED UP14.gif, IN ORDER CRIMES TO OCCUR

(NO EDUCATION, HIGH TAXES, UNEMPLOYMENT ETC)

REGARDS44.gif

It's for riots. You have to have a COMPLETE getho for riots to happen. I've only had a few when i was trying to get them. The game is kinda unrealistic there, i mean there was riots in paris this year, and the WTO riots in seattle a while ago. And seattle and paris arenn't really gethos.

So to answer your question... They're there to look pretty 3.gif

I had a riot once. It was an otherwise good city with low crime, so it really surprised me. What happened is I had zoned some high-density residential that built as low-wealth. There were no parks around. SG's NIMBY lots developed nearby and it was an instant riot. I've had similar circumstances before and since, but still that's the only riot I ever had. It wasn't easy to get rid of, either.

Ya, I wish more "minor" disasters would happen in SimCity 4. Maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in, but I always thought SC2k was more exciting, at least in terms of crap going wrong.

other than the teepeeing of the trees, you can also witness muggings, vandalism (grafitti), some guy flashing people on the streets.  if you do dispatch your police, they might arrest people, but i think that's mainly for show.

I had to dispatch the police a few times because my jails were overcrowed and I had escapees.  That was way cool little people in black and white stripes running all over the place.

If you're interested in seeing riots, I uploaded a mod to do that quite awhile ago on the STEX. Search for bones1 and you should find it.

You'll get bored of riots after about 2 minutes. They really aren't very interesting, and tedious to control.

Somebody mentioned this ago, but it really seems that you have to build nimby buildings in order to get a riot.

I had a good residental area and zoned some commercial next to it where SG's Nimby stuff appeared (Yay!)

After a few minutes, a riot started. Was hard to get it under control again.

On the other side, I also tried Bones mod. It didn't work to me because my Mayor rating was too high (108 I think).

It happens often to me that the mayor rating goes up and never comes down again. Another reason why I don't get riots.

That's why I'm so happy with SG's Lots =) (There are other reasons too but.....umm nevermind)

dispatching police cars works in my city as when i look on the map and see a place with high crime i sorround the building and the crime gets lowered or is eliminated

fate556 is that true? ive tried that many times...you know how you plop the location for the cop to go to, it won't disappear now for some reason... grrrrr ruining my skyline!!! I can NEVER get a riot...ill try now though 4.gif

police helicopters allow UDI missions that get to some "hidden" goodies.. forget exactly which does what, but I'm sure those kinds are documented somewhere.. sort of like the shortcut to Convention Center, and stuff to get AREA51 and so on.. I'm sure you can play the game perfectly happily and never use one.. and they are rather an added expense with very little benefit... maybe to allow cops to come where there are no road connections? Never tried it myself.. but I THINK that when you go to "dispatch" police the one with the helicopter will show a helicopter on the "call flag"

If you get tired of too much police action, download the "Crime does not pay" mod.  Not perfect, but cuts out the police overactivity by quite a chunk.

Originally posted by: SC4BOY police helicopters allow UDI missions that get to some "hidden" goodies.. forget exactly which does what, but I'm sure those kinds are documented somewhere.. sort of like the shortcut to Convention Center, and stuff to get AREA51 and so on..

quote>

I think there's only one reward you can get by using the police helicopter: the TV Studio. You get it by chasing a crook's car and keeping the helicopter spotlight on it for awhile. It's not that great a reward anyway, and it's pretty easy to get without using the UDI missions.

I know all that about it. I just meant is there any purpse in dispatching it? I don't think so. But UDI missions and free drive are fun with it after watching World's Wildest Police Videos or something lol.

Outside of riots, the only real reason to dispatch police is catch a criminal committing a crime in progress.

Say this: "Catch a criminal committing a crime" fives times in a row as fast as you can. 4.gif

If you do catch the criminal, I believe you get a mayor boost in the general area of the capture. Outside of blind luck, there is a way to stop a crime in progress. The crime data screen updates once a month at the beginning. Slow the game time down while you have this screen up. As the first of the month passes, watch for the data screen to update with the new crimes. When it updates, pause the game, and click on a crime on the data screen. This will whisk you away to the scene where the crime is being committed. Look around for the perp and when you find him, immediately dispatch the police to that area. Unpause the game and watch the boys in blue do their thing.

For a funny twist reduce funding on a police station to just above the point where they want to strike. Then, dispatch the police to the scene of crime to watch how inept they are.

This information has been reproduced in part from Prima's SC4 Deluxe strategy guide.