kingleno

-KingLeno's assets: Sears opens!

91 posts in this topic Last Reply

Been a minute since I've posted here, but here's a few things in various stages that I've been working on lately. 

*update for my Macy's

*Dillard's

*couple of seafood restaurants

*Riverboat that never got off the ground that i'm thinking about reviving. 

20161113015255_1.jpg

20161113015410_1.jpg

20161113015500_1.jpg

20161113184008_1.jpg

Welcome to the forums. I'd suggest focussing on one project and showing us you're troubles.

It would also be good if you could provide some more info on your projects, like maps used, custom lod. Tri count etc.

Welcome Kingleno! A good place to start is in the stickied threads here in the modding section. This particular section is very informative to get you going more

I would like to see your Popeyes in a close up shot. All the best. Many of us learned and evolved here (we were all CSL beginners less than a year ago) and are still evolving and learning.

• Original Poster
  • thanks for all the links. I think I've progressed quite a bit since starting, still a long ways to go though. I'm currently working on this Walgreens as a part of my shopping center http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=658769613

Unfortunately, I made several changes to the original model and somewhere along the way I lost the original scale of it, and I'm really not pleased that it doesn't fit exactly with the other buildings in-game.  3d max is totally not my thing and I spent hours trying to drag, scale, move, align it with the other buildings (there's a small glitch on one side, and the roof isn't aligned). Is it a more precise way of doing it, or is it really that big of a deal? 

20160805161216_1.jpg

20160805194354_1.jpg

20160805194334_1.jpg

Loving the modular shopping center! :D

I have no experience with 3d max, so I can't give you any tips on that. But after looking at the pictures I can't really spot where the scale is off. I see what appears to be a little gab between it and Sprint on the 2nd picture, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. If it really bothers you alot and you can't get it to fit properly, there's always the option of making the gab a bit bigger as an intentional alley. In any case I'll definately grab that when it's finished and on the workshop :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • 6 minutes ago, Avanya said:

Loving the modular shopping center! :D

I have no experience with 3d max, so I can't give you any tips on that. But after looking at the pictures I can't really spot where the scale is off. I see what appears to be a little gab between it and Sprint on the 2nd picture, but I wouldn't say it's that bad. If it really bothers you alot and you can't get it to fit properly, there's always the option of making the gab a bit bigger as an intentional alley. In any case I'll definately grab that when it's finished and on the workshop :thumb:

thanks, I love your assets btw. On second look just now, it appears the Subway is off and made the Walgreens more noticeable. I added some misdirection to the roof, and I think I can live with it as-is for now. 

20160806110339_1.jpg

• Original Poster
  • I think I've grown bored of the shopping center already, but since it's so simple it makes it really easy to work on while I'm at work. I've been wanting to do a set of really low income and blighted commercial properties for a while. I'm pretty much done with one of them. 

Screenshot 492.png

Screenshot 508.png

I've actually started going to the workshop and going to your page first off to see what you've released. You keep these buildings coming out at what almost feels like a daily pace, and they're all great quality! I'm in love with the Walmart asset you made, along with the murphys! I appreciate it a lot! Thank you! This game has needed more big box shopping centers. 

I dig the change of direction, dude! I subbed to pretty much all your stuff (so much quintessential Americana stuff!), and I love your collection of big box stores and modular shopping mall assets, but for me the stars of your Workshop are the Beale Street/Hardrock Cafe assets (I just started a new map, and those assets fit my Ohio River Valley theme perfectly). Needless to say your upcoming run-down commercial assets will also feature prominently in my city!

One point of constructive criticism vis-a-vis those commercial assets: the texturing on the road side of your assets is really crisp and detailed, but unfortunately the side and back walls are a bit blurry, which contrasts a bit with the overall quality. If you ran out of texture room for those parts no biggie, but if not, maybe those walls could receive a tad more TLC. But even if not, I'm just going to keep subbing to your stuff regardless - they're way too good to pass on.

Oh, and to wrap things up I have a request: would it be possible to throw a few blighted/run-down (wall-to-wall) residential/mix-use (res/comm) assets in the mix as well - take a stroll along Jacob Street (Wheeling, WV) to see what I mean.

• Original Poster
  • On 8/9/2016 at 5:11 AM, Judazzz said:

I dig the change of direction, dude! I subbed to pretty much all your stuff (so much quintessential Americana stuff!), and I love your collection of big box stores and modular shopping mall assets, but for me the stars of your Workshop are the Beale Street/Hardrock Cafe assets (I just started a new map, and those assets fit my Ohio River Valley theme perfectly). Needless to say your upcoming run-down commercial assets will also feature prominently in my city!

One point of constructive criticism vis-a-vis those commercial assets: the texturing on the road side of your assets is really crisp and detailed, but unfortunately the side and back walls are a bit blurry, which contrasts a bit with the overall quality. If you ran out of texture room for those parts no biggie, but if not, maybe those walls could receive a tad more TLC. But even if not, I'm just going to keep subbing to your stuff regardless - they're way too good to pass on.

Oh, and to wrap things up I have a request: would it be possible to throw a few blighted/run-down (wall-to-wall) residential/mix-use (res/comm) assets in the mix as well - take a stroll along Jacob Street (Wheeling, WV) to see what I mean.

yea, I totally agree. I basically said "F" it when it came to the back walls of my earlier commercial buildings. With this shopping set, I just used the same front and side texture and didn't worry about backdoors and loading bays. I'm sure I had plenty of texture space tho, The texture maps on my first buildings were a mess. 

I put the Vic and Bill's Market down in a somewhat run-down part of my Oldtown district and it goes really well, especially with Xanniversary's graffiti walls added running beside it by the street.

Awesome work. I look forward to more assets like this, though I really dig your shopping centers too. That latest one is fantastic.

Keep up the great work.

• Original Poster
  • New Apartment complex completed and soon to be uploaded and 2000's version of Walmart. I finally got inspired to work on a Kroger since it (hopefully) won't take long, I'm going to use the same texture maps from my last shopping center and hopefully it will fit in well with those buildings. 

Screenshot 521.png

snapshot 1.png

Screenshot 521.png

snapshot 1.png

• Original Poster
  • 5 hours ago, Matthias King said:

I've meant to tell you, your earlier Wal-Mart is missing its entire rear wall. I believe it's the first one you posted. Just a heads up.

Nice new apartments. You're doing great work.

It's not missing, you're probably missing the entire backside of the asset, which is a completely different building. You may be subscribed to another "Walmart" and the game/Sub-buildings Enabler gets confused when assets have the same name. So you may need to unsubscribe to both (if you are) and resubscribe to mine first. To avoid that with the 2nd and 3rd Walmart, I've given them different asset names. 

• Original Poster
  • After quite the detour on a pair of Office Buildings http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=752420632

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=752441009

I finally had an extra moment to put the finishing touches on my Kroger (only had the normal and illumination map to finish)

Screenshot 146.png

Screenshot 145.png

20160825200756_1.jpg

• Original Poster
  • On 8/27/2016 at 11:04 AM, Matthias King said:

Both of these look great. I can't wait to see them in my city.

I'm also looking forward to more ghetto style assets if those are still in the works.

yea, still in the pipeline eventually. I've been trying to learn how to create decal props so I can create trash on the ground and grittier textures. I had some success creating one yesterday. Creating assets is not good for ADHD however. I almost feel like I HAVE to be working on more than one thing at a time. 

In seeing my Kroger in-game, the combination of different brick texture reminded me a lot of different school I've visited here, so I decided to use that texture to start a high school campus. 

20160829112802_1.jpg

9 minutes ago, kingleno said:

so I decided to use that texture to start a high school campus. 

Yes ! Yes ! Ohhhh yes ! More school. Definitely was looking for this. And I love the Neon Sign of the Kroger building. Very well done :D

Nice. I got the LenoTech offices in my city. I really like it. It has a unique feel compared to all the highrise style offices. I haven't got the Kroger in there yet. I have to give some thought to where I want to put it and how I went to orient it in relation to parking.