GC_Vos

Network Extensions Project

755 posts in this topic Last Reply

If that is the case will we, as a user have to do anything to prepare or will any National Roads/Two and Four Lanes migrate properly? I've used them extensively in my new city and would hate to load it to find them all gone... or has compatibility been assured by CO?

4 hours ago, boformer said:

NExt roads are NExt roads, vanilla roads are vanilla roads. There is nothing you can do.

I'm assuming by this you mean cities will still be compatible we'll just have two versions of different types of roads (vanilla and NExt)?

15 hours ago, boformer said:

NExt roads are NExt roads, vanilla roads are vanilla roads. There is nothing you can do.

2 hours ago, Avanya said:

@hbn See Rotype's answer - he's correct there will be two different types. CO are making their own roads, just like if you have AD and the bus roads which come with that. NExt still has it's own bus roads.

I wonder if paradox will insist on having the NExt versions removed as they will probs be a part of the paid expansion not the free patch?

I don't think they ever made  a dick move like that. There's lots of people who don't use mods though, and I guess that's their main target audience with these roads.

So basically there'll just be two roads in like the six lane with bus lanes? I suppose safest bet would be to upgrade to the now default versions afterwards depending on which works better.

I really wish they would do a video about the road editor they mentioned. I feel like it's going to be a huge let down.

And they integrated traffic light management.....which is a nice option..... I just hope it doesn't bork TM:PE.

2 hours ago, Avanya said:

...But hopefully our wonderful modders are up to the task for fixing them (lets all remember to send them some love when that happens to drown out the complaints).

Definitely sending some love. Especially since last time (1.6) I was able to get back into my city within a few days!

Modders (including yourself @Avanya I have I think all of your assets) are definitely propping up a large part of this community.

I was impressed at the speed which modders adapted their work to make it compatible with Natural Disasters- but recognition to Colossal Order who worked hard to ensure modders had access to the info required in advance of the launch. Hopeful that Mass Transit will transition as smoothly.

Will there be a NeXT 3 for the new DLC?

NeXT 2 works fine with it from what I've seen, but they added some cool new..... um.. pathing and textures?

Like if you switch directions of asymmetrical roads along a stretch of road, it adds like a merge line for traffic. 

1 hour ago, jumonjii said:

Will there be a NeXT 3 for the new DLC?

NeXT 2 works fine with it from what I've seen, but they added some cool new..... um.. pathing and textures?

Like if you switch directions of asymmetrical roads along a stretch of road, it adds like a merge line for traffic. 

That's good news that CO has added additional road textures to support the new roads.  I was browsing the AMA and they were working on a road editor of some sort, no details beyond that the idea is being developed.

42 minutes ago, jumonjii said:

That's what I was referring to. They added a new texture for when you have opposite asymmetrical roads connected.

yes i knew what you were referring. were you reporting the bug? because i was. the texture above has the node texture flipped incorrectly (it isn't like that in the vanilla game) the double solid line is supposed to flow smoothly from one segment to the next

2 hours ago, Bad Peanut said:

@andreharv BUG: the node textures are flipped for the M.T. assymetrical roads. I'm assuming that it's this mod doing that (I haven't got crosswalks mod so this is the only one i can think of that affects nodes like this)

QUHSwJp.jpg

here's my output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuywylh4ll61e1h/(networkextensions MT)output_log.txt?dl=0

I ended up getting much bigger problems once I started laying down new public transport types. I started getting prefabs and props disappearing as i zoomed in. But #disclaimer I don't understand output logs so I can't be sure if it's NExt or something else causing havoc with them.,

EDIT: It's got to be something else. I still get it without NExt. if someone can look at my output log that would be great ;) otherwise I'll just go through one at a time

UPDATE: the other problems were due to network skins :)

So @andreharv when you get back will you be able to collab and integrate New Roads for Network Extensions 2 into the your mod? As it is now the new author is really failing to make it a seemless upgrade. And they definitely don't know how to use the "required items" function of workshop - either that or they don't actually know what the mod needs to run. As it stands now you have to sub to two new mods for the whole thing to work, not that that's stated in the mod's description or in the required items section.

That and I think the code needs to be changed to control what segments can change lanes at the nodes so the new roads don't get traffic crossing the barriers

6 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

@andreharvAs it stands now you have to sub to two new mods for the whole thing to work, not that that's stated in the mod's description or in the required items section.

It only needs NExt2 (either the version the author uploaded, or the "original" version, both work), I'm not sure what other mods it would require? Works fine for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More roads would be great though, especially the separate transit roads mod discussed earlier -- really badly needed in the game! :D

@alborzka Yes, and we know that because we're used to dealing with mods. But anyone new to the game won't and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the description. ;) 

I'm also curious what's gonna happen. Atm I haven't switched either, since I wanna see which mod will be the one to go with for the future.

I haven't switched, tried the new roads and had the tabs disappear in the road menu. The roads really didn't add much for me to deal with the confusion so I unsubscribed. 

For me is working perfectly without the fix mod. Tiny roads variations are fine, but after all, I wish it had more content... By now I will still using it, let's see how this goes.

10 hours ago, alborzka said:

It only needs NExt2 (either the version the author uploaded, or the "original" version, both work), I'm not sure what other mods it would require? Works fine for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More roads would be great though, especially the separate transit roads mod discussed earlier -- really badly needed in the game! :D

it needs original next and also the Mass Transit "fix" by the author of new roads, otherwise it breaks my LOD rendering of everything - and yes the tabs aren't displayed properly (they're still clickable but there's no actual tab icon. overall it's poorly executed, but still really awesome. I had to unsub though because I wasn't confident in it's ability to maintain integrity. As I said, would be much better if they were unified so the code is compiled once

44 minutes ago, Bad Peanut said:

it needs original next and also the Mass Transit "fix" by the author of new roads, otherwise it breaks my LOD rendering of everything

Just out of curiosity, by "everything" do you happen to mean buildings as well, i.e. LOD kicks in pretty quickly and/or blurry? Or just roads/networks? Been trying it without the Mass Transit "fix" and maybe my LOD could be suffering, hmm...

But yeah def agreed with unifying the mod!

Hello together,

thanks for all the great work.

I have a question/suggestion regarding "dynamic roads", where you can add lanes on demand. As far as I understand the problem, there is no way to make roads "dynamic", since the pieces must be are precalculated and prerendered. But is it possible the fake this via a lot of premade roads and an more sophisticated upgrade tool? My idea would be something like this (additional upgrade buttons with nice icons and a well designed placement):

(toggle left parking) (Remove left lane) (Add left lane) (increase width) (Change median) (tooggle bus lanes) (toggle bike lanes) (toggle tram tracks) (toggle decoration) (Add right lane) (Remove right lane) (toggle right parking)

you could start for example with a regular 2 lane road. if you select "add right lane" and click on a 2 lane road segment, the tool should realize that it has to upgrade the 2 lane road segment to an asym. 1+2 road. another click would upgrade it to a 1+3 road, or to a narrow 4 lane road with "add left lane". the narrow 4 lane could be upgraded to a 2+2ave ("Four-Lane Road") with "increase width" etc etc.

I imagined an upgrade tree with some gaps atm and the upgrade tools would skip these gaps if intuition allows, but these gaps could be filled up with time and lots of effort, and the upgrade tools would upgrade accordingly.

(Add left lane) (increase width) (Add right lane) are of course the most important ones.

Is something like that possible? Have not checked out the netcode yet.

13 hours ago, alborzka said:

Just out of curiosity, by "everything" do you happen to mean buildings as well, i.e. LOD kicks in pretty quickly and/or blurry? Or just roads/networks? Been trying it without the Mass Transit "fix" and maybe my LOD could be suffering, hmm...

But yeah def agreed with unifying the mod!

basically all of them disappear instead of actually being rendered. so the roads turn blue and the buildings disappear so you can only see the colour of the terrain/concrete from the lots