Sign in to follow this  
pyanodon

New Screenshots

932 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • The last pic features a cool skyline, but also the problem with the tiny city tiles: Where you'd expect the downtown to turn into mid-rise development (with suburban sprawl and/or industry even further away), there's a sudden gap, and in the background you see a square-shaped city.

I agree with you in almost all you told. The images are way bigger, if we click over it, the image grows. That square-shaped city in the background is the international airport...the great project. Not a city, i think.

humm i noticed now that they worked more over the shore lines. It´s almost a beach now.

Everything looks like it's been built yesterday and polished this morning, including the grass and beaches. Where did all the details go? :ooks like SC4 without the detail on. I hope that they don't actually include the stupid individual Sim info. Isn't this supposed to be Simcity? Not The Sims.

Maybe I am negativly inspired already but I don't see anything yet that draws my attention to buy that game. Gameplay is not too bad, but the rest.......

SC 2013 will be the last one Maxis will create. believe me, it will not be a hit and therefore not an encouragement to continue the line to try to satisfy the caprice citybuilders of today.

We got used to extreme details and now we are spoiled, extremely spoiled, and a spoiled player is very difficult to please. I don't actually care because I have SC4 and it is not yet fully exploited, there's still a lot to change, invent and to be added and I still discover something new and interesting every week since almost 10 years.

Good luck Maxis, I only hope that they will sell the SC franchise to Bluebyte, Calypso or similar companies that make more detailed games.

Fred

Everything looks like it's been built yesterday and polished this morning, including the grass and beaches. Where did all the details go? :ooks like SC4 without the detail on. I hope that they don't actually include the stupid individual Sim info. Isn't this supposed to be Simcity? Not The Sims.

It looks more detailed than Simcity 4.

Also you know you can find out what all your Sims are thinking in Simcity 4, you just have to click the mic option and click somewhere on your city.

I think those graphics look incredible. Ya, it looks shiny. That doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility of worn-down, damaged, or old buildings. Other screenshots have shown beta graphics for graffiti and other vandalism, so I tend to think we'll see less-shiny buildings in the actual game.

Also, the little UDI games in SC4 had absolutely nothing to do with the game either. It's just a little feature to add some depth. Honestly, I think this is better than UDI.

Please I hope that is advertising artwork, or just concept art for the box cover.

Talking texture and animation detail...I love the Anno games. I'm playing Anno 2070 a lot at the moment, but I've loved all of them. Talk about detail on the textures, to birds flying around the rocks, water splashing against the shores, deer roaming the woodlands, flags on houses flapping in the wind....makes it a pleasure when you're constructing your city.

My inner critic says: looks like it was drawn with highlighters. Especially the sky. Where's the rust on the buildings, the cracks in the sidewalks, the piles of old wood on the rooftops? And the textures look like plastic models. The concrete doesn't look as much like concrete as in SC4, and same with the asphalt and the steel and the glass and the brick. It all looks too plastic.

I do like the building designs and the smooth 3D rendering. But they need to turn down the color contrast by like 50%.

If you've ever looked at the concept art from Simcity 4, it does looks an awful lot like that. Like the bright and shiny part, at least. And there's absolutely no way that the last image is an in-game screenshot. That's the brightest and shiniest image, so I'm hoping the rest of it isn't that bad.

As for the green spaces between the buildings and roads in the first screenshot, I'm still hoping that the zone isn't packed as tight as it can be (the second image is much better).

And I hate to be overly negative, but why are all of the trams on the same track? xD

And I hate to be overly negative, but why are all of the trams on the same track? xD

That´s a lot of trams for sure!! one each 25 meters ahaha

Trams do bunch up whenever there are too many people trying to cram in at once. This problem is very common in Toronto. It is trying to be realistic, even on routes with rights-of-way.

I absolutely love that last picture. The city is very realistic looking, with the bigger skyscrapers at the central part of the city and the smaller ones near the empty no-man's land. I also love the scale and placement of that airport. They somehow managed to fit it on the small island, very neat, and placed it near all of those towering highrises. It should be fun for those incoming planes, and the passengers are certainly in for a close-up view of the big city. It's also a nice touch how totally realistic the buildings look. Some windows even reflect the sun! Not cartoony in the least.

/sarcasm

The last pic features a cool skyline, but also the problem with the tiny city tiles: Where you'd expect the downtown to turn into mid-rise development (with suburban sprawl and/or industry even further away), there's a sudden gap, and in the background you see a square-shaped city.

I agree with you in almost all you told. The images are way bigger, if we click over it, the image grows. That square-shaped city in the background is the international airport...the great project. Not a city, i think.

humm i noticed now that they worked more over the shore lines. It´s almost a beach now.

And keep in mind this is from a particular angle as well...imagine how it would look zoomed out...I shudder.

The city is very realistic looking, with the bigger skyscrapers at the central part of the city and the smaller ones near the empty no-man's land.

Yeah, smaller skyscrypers near the empty no-man's land. Every real city looks totally like that. :)

I must confess that I still don't like the textures on the buildings. They are smooth like plastics, and I cannot even tell what materials they are supposed to represent - concrete, steel, brick, limestone, polished marble, ...? It doesn't look like any of these. The skyline ends up looking like a bunch of 2D drawings as you can see them in those diagrams from skyscraperpage.com - check the site, and I'm rather positive you'll see what I mean. Concerning the general colour palette, all I can say is holy radioactive oversaturation! :O Those trees alone...

Those diagrams are great, I should order a couple of their posters for the office.

I especially like the second image with the stadium.

(thats what it is, right?)

Please I hope that is advertising artwork, or just concept art for the box cover.

Talking texture and animation detail...I love the Anno games. I'm playing Anno 2070 a lot at the moment, but I've loved all of them. Talk about detail on the textures, to birds flying around the rocks, water splashing against the shores, deer roaming the woodlands, flags on houses flapping in the wind....makes it a pleasure when you're constructing your city.

Anno 2070's graphics are fantastic indeed but the game is terrible. It becomes boring after a couple of days and I can't believe a spent the full buck on it. Graphics might be detailed but the gameplay itself is completely devoid of any detail and it's core hasn't changed (in a good way) for over ten years.

On topic: Never seen a city CBD in real life surrounded by grasslands.

Not sure why my last post was deleted, but anywho:

The city is very realistic looking, with the bigger skyscrapers at the central part of the city and the smaller ones near the empty no-man's land.

Yeah, smaller skyscrypers near the empty no-man's land. Every real city looks totally like that. :)

That's the beauty of sarcasm, now ain't it?

I can find nothing in any of the screenshots posted that isn't already featured in SC4 or CXL. The graphics look better in CXL anyway. At least in those two games, one can actually create a city.

Maxis could seriously solve a lot of problems just by letting us have cities adjacent to each other. You have one city that is the central business area, one that is a low rise suburb, an airport in the middle, an industrial area next door... This would even play into the regional dynamics; cities that are neighbors have more shared benefits and problems than cities sitting 100 miles apart.

Nothing is accomplished by forcing cities to be scattered, aside from making each city feel like a toy town in a snowglobe.

I know it's so freaking obvious. I hope they change the way regions are setup before release. The way it is now just doesn't work if you want to building anything bigger than a small town.

The graphics look great... but I hate grass in high density zones. Yuk!

If they keep tweaking the graphics in a positive directions, they can justify their small city sizes.

Hey, I'll accept that!

For all those complaining about the empty dead grass space space between cities being unrealistic. Remember Simcity 4 cities floated in the middle of space. Pollution and crime did not spread each city even though they were contiguous.

It's true, but I think alot of fans wanted to see them expand on those limitations. Not completely do away with them.

Reminds me of the SimCity 2000 box art... but even that was less colourful and garish.

23939_boxshot_1.jpg

Even if I disregard everything else we've heard about the game, the good and the bad, and put aside all my personal biases... I just couldn't bring myself purchase a game that looked like that. Sorry Maxis, really you're lost me on this one...

For all those complaining about the empty dead grass space space between cities being unrealistic. Remember Simcity 4 cities floated in the middle of space. Pollution and crime did not spread each city even though they were contiguous.

It's true, but I think alot of fans wanted to see them expand on those limitations. Not completely do away with them.

Exactly. I was among the people that thought that they were going to expand the Region options so that multiple people could play contiguous cities and I was WORRIED about that. Because what if someone had terrible crime or pollution? That would affect my city in a very negative way. It never even crossed my mind that they would be taking a step back words with regions.