CorinaMarie

Announcing the New SimCity 3000 Sub-Forum

52 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

• Original Poster
  • 6 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we may as well add the term 'map' to any file that displays a 'playable tile', whether blank or shaped or terraformed or including partial development of a city or an associated scenario.

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

Okay I'll check them, but Indiana I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Edit:  In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

Edit:  checked them, all OK.

Edited by RandyE  

• Original Poster
  • 16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Oh, phooey.

16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I have not a clue. That'll be a question for @Cyclone Boom.

23 hours ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I can ask Dirk whether this is doable, but seem to recall the set defined limit exists based on the database structure (MySQL), used for the indexing. There certainly is a strong incentive here if it can be tweaked without ill effect. Since there are many common 3 character terms, also including the NAM and its countless acronyms. This may explain why the search generally performs so badly for common daily usage (Google being much more powerful).

In the meantime I've expanded the "0 Results" message to say the following:

There were no results found for your search. Please make sure you've searched 4 or more characters.

Alternatively, try broadening your criteria or choosing a different content area.

• Original Poster
  • On 6/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, RandyE said:

Is there any possibility of having a sub-category under SC 3000 for maps, terrains and city files?  That is to distinguish these type of files from Maxis files and user-created buildings and landmarks.  

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

42 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

I noticed it earlier today, and good choice, including both terms "Cities and Maps".   There's a lot of cities and maps uploaded now to fill out the subcategory.   Maybe Gog.com can donate some hard drives for the promo. :)  The small file size of the city files makes SC3U a more easily shareable game experience.  Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

On 16/06/2017 at 4:16 AM, RandyE said:

Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

Interestingly with SimCity 4, this aspect takes a step backwards...

Spoiler

Then it took some nifty work from @Pegasus to restore it back to usefulness:

No More Brown Boxes

So SimCity 3000 had the right idea all along... *:yes:

Hello!
    For the life of me, I can't seem to find the correct place to put this post, so, you drew the short straw!

I am a 3000 Unlimited player from many years ago and used to hang out at the Knowledge Tree at SC3000.com.  I see the site is still available, but, many articles are unreachable.

Is this site here the replacement for the Knowledge Tree and SimCity 3000 Unlimited?  Yes, I am playing the game right this minute because my motorcycle is snoring due to the crazy Michigan weather we have each year at this time!  :-)

Thanks!

Mike

• Original Poster
  • Hiya!

This thread seems like as good as any to post in. (And you found the right forum.)

The old SC3000.com is owned by Simtropolis. @Chief ZDN did port some of the Knowledge Tree stuff over to our Omnibus so I believe those articles are in both places. I'm pretty sure everything over on the old site is set to read only. Here you can post and make new topic threads.

-Cori

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Hiya!

This thread seems like as good as any to post in. (And you found the right forum.)

The old SC3000.com is owned by Simtropolis. @Chief ZDN did port some of the Knowledge Tree stuff over to our Omnibus so I believe those articles are in both places. I'm pretty sure everything over on the old site is set to read only. Here you can post and make new topic threads.

-Cori

To clarify, I've only copy the content of SC4ever.com, not the SC3000.com one but still on the same network: Wren Weburg's SC3000.com network. But the way, thanks for your input! I'll copy the SC3000.com ones.

Thanks

9 hours ago, Michael J said:

....I am a 3000 Unlimited player from many years ago and used to hang out at the Knowledge Tree at SC3000.com.  I see the site is still available, but, many articles are unreachable....

Nice to see another SC3 player, the articles are still available its only the links that have got scrabbled over the years ... this should help

https://www.city-builders.info/cb-documents/10-SimCity-3/56-SimCity-3-knowledge-tree

No guarantees as the sc3000.com website tends to have the odd hiccup-up,  also if you want any of the SC3 files that are over on this site, they have now all been added to the STEX, see here if you haven't already spotted them

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/category/42-sc3k-maxis-files/

:thumb:

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, Chief ZDN said:

To clarify, I've only copy the content of SC4ever.com, not the SC3000.com one

Thanks for the clarification. *:)

@Michael J

Btw, last year I downloaded all extant SimCity 3000 buildings from the old EA Building Exchange via the Wayback Machine. There are slightly over 10,000 buildings. If you'd like a copy of them I can toss the file on a temporary hosting site. The zip file is 681,611,151 bytes and also contains copies of each page in HTML format. (Originally I'd included the pages as Firefox Archives, but the new Quantum version of FF borked their display. Now they are converted to regular Saved Pages in HTML format.) Missing images in these pages are because they were missing in the originals. All buildings in the zip are intact regardless of the missing images in the HTML lists.

Let me know if you'd like a copy of this massive zip file. When I put it on WeTransfer.com the linky is good for one week.

Well, strike me up a gum tree!  Thanks for all the replies!  Yes, I would love to see those old articles again!  I believe I printed them all out at one time, but, Lord knows where they are now.

If you wanna do the linky to those buildings and articles and anything else for SC3KU, I'll grab them!  Sure hope I can figure out that last part!

I love this game!  Ain't no better way to kill the winter months that building a skyscraper floating on water or a marina on dry land!  :-)

Michael

On 2/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, Chief ZDN said:

To clarify, I've only copy the content of SC4ever.com, not the SC3000.com one but still on the same network: Wren Weburg's SC3000.com network. But the way, thanks for your input! I'll copy the SC3000.com ones.

Thanks

Thanks a bunch!  It will probably take me like....forever to figure out where they are once you have copied them.  I loved the articles!  I have the big fat book of SC3KU and the articles only add the sugar and spice to the game.  I still never place a single hospital in any of my cities.....and life goes happily on....for about 62 years, then, those retirees are outta here!  :-)