CorinaMarie

Announcing the New SimCity 3000 Sub-Forum

43 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 6 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we may as well add the term 'map' to any file that displays a 'playable tile', whether blank or shaped or terraformed or including partial development of a city or an associated scenario.

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

Posted (edited)
    17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Ok. Done. (Care to double check I got them all?) And still no luck searching for "map", but again that may need to be processed in nightly maintenance or something.

Okay I'll check them, but Indiana I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Edit:  In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

Edit:  checked them, all OK.

Edited by RandyE  

• Original Poster
  • 16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think we got a problem...  IIRC the search engine ignores 3 letter words.

Oh, phooey.

16 minutes ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I have not a clue. That'll be a question for @Cyclone Boom.

23 hours ago, RandyE said:

In that case is it possible to make an exception in the search engine for important 3 letter words, like BAT, MAP, SC4?

I can ask Dirk whether this is doable, but seem to recall the set defined limit exists based on the database structure (MySQL), used for the indexing. There certainly is a strong incentive here if it can be tweaked without ill effect. Since there are many common 3 character terms, also including the NAM and its countless acronyms. This may explain why the search generally performs so badly for common daily usage (Google being much more powerful).

In the meantime I've expanded the "0 Results" message to say the following:

There were no results found for your search. Please make sure you've searched 4 or more characters.

Alternatively, try broadening your criteria or choosing a different content area.

• Original Poster
  • On 6/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, RandyE said:

Is there any possibility of having a sub-category under SC 3000 for maps, terrains and city files?  That is to distinguish these type of files from Maxis files and user-created buildings and landmarks.  

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

42 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. We've created a sub-category (Cities & Maps).  *:)

I noticed it earlier today, and good choice, including both terms "Cities and Maps".   There's a lot of cities and maps uploaded now to fill out the subcategory.   Maybe Gog.com can donate some hard drives for the promo. :)  The small file size of the city files makes SC3U a more easily shareable game experience.  Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

8 hours ago, RandyE said:

Even if buildings or landmarks are missing, the bright orange areas are easily to see and re-zone. 

Interestingly with SimCity 4, this aspect takes a step backwards...

Spoiler

Then it took some nifty work from @Pegasus to restore it back to usefulness:

1aef7dc3160f5519a889a1ec38ca6a09-product

So SimCity 3000 had the right idea all along... *:yes: