• Kythlyn
    Kythlyn

Is the new SimCity game a downgrade from SimCity 4?

An article looking at both sides of the argument about whether the new SimCity game is a downgrade from SimCity 4.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

The micro details are nice, unfortunately it's eclipsed by the lack of core features and is nothing like the previous versions. I'm sure some people will think this is a fun game, but it's obviously been scaled (dumbed) down to reach the sims players who just want to see fancy things happen instead of actually building a realistic city. He even says in this article that in the 1 hour he had the beta, he filled 75% of his land... so unless I am going to be destroying everything constantly and rebuilding... my city will be built in 2 hours and then what? Sim City 4 would take me days to build a good city.

Share this comment

Downgrade would be an understatement, the new game will only appeal to young children given it's overly cartoony graphics and simplistic/dumbed-down mechanics (no control over rail and highway exit points etc).

Granted there are a couple of improvements, but they are tiny next to the game's many flaws. I'd bet everything I own that Simcity 2013 will fade into obscurity like Cities XL. Not that XL was that bad, it just wasn't very customizable or fun compared to SC4.

I fear Maxis are too obsessed with "The Sims" now, and that they've forgotten Simcity is, suppose to be, a different game altogether. If Maxis ever make another game PLEASE LISTEN TO THE FANS BEFORE YOU START MAKING IT.

Share this comment

I have very mixed feeling about the game. I agree with what most people here say. That its a downgrade from simcity 4 and that it should be called sims city. But i still pre-order the game. I will probably play it for a few hours than be disapointed like most game EA did in the last years. But somehow the new features even if they dont make up for all the flaws made me want to play the game... Its probably the last chance I give to EA. They did loose a part of the game market in the last years. They should recall that they should listen what their  custumers want not dictate to them what they want. Its a bit like if MCdonalds stop doing the bicmac and tell us that from now on we all love the mcfish. Anyway Ill see if I like the game or not. But it is a downgrade from simcity 4 their is no question about that.

Share this comment

Two steps forward with the simulation engine and the removal of the grid but many steps back in many departments. The new SimCIty forgets that it is a CITY builder first before anything. And unfortunately, SimCity (2013) comes with so many restrictions and a lack of freedom.

SimCity 4: Deluxe allowed you to build not just a metropolis but create mountains, forests, beaches, islands, etc. With so much custom content, the NAM, SPAM, XXdita Turbo Mod, many custom mods, props, buildings, lots, terrain, water mods, HD trees, etc out there, people have now made tiny cabins in heavily forested mountains, to farms, small towns, and big sprawling metropolis. All of this is now impossible with the new game even if you get rid of all the amazing custom content people have made. The key word here is FREEDOM.

Alas, the game is now always-online and the developers said this means that everything is "live" and "permanent". This means you cannot save/load "normally" like before. There is also the issue of limited save slots (only 10 in total) which means that the days of having many gigantic 80 km x 80 km size regions in your hard drive is now over. This also means that the game is short term in scope and not long term.

Deeper simulation with extreme restrictions OR lowered simulation but with freedom and ability to make a real metropolis or whatever you want? Some will want the first option (SC (2013))and some will go for the latter (SC 4: Deluxe).

The real deal breaker is ultimately the price. SimCity (2013) is ridiculously expensive for a game with many cut features. I have a horrible feeling that EA will add the rest via DLC but I hope it will never reach that point.

----

If you want quick fun (with "strings attached"), then SC (2013) is for you. 

If you are looking for something to play in the long - term, then SC4 is for you. 

Share this comment

If they made the city simulation fit splines like the new game, even if it had cheesy graphics, it could be an interesting game.

However, I do agree that they have missed the mark on what it should be. The simulation is the first and foremost thing that SimCity should set out to replicate from previous games. Making more sim-like, and focusing on minor details like building individual houses, is completely changing what the fans like about the series. It's not the added freedom of splines, but the lack of freedom the new physics to the game is adding. They are focusing too much on quick build. Perhaps Maxis and EA need a reminder that the sims were modelled loosely on SimCity, not the other way around. It might be 10 years old, but give them a copy of SC4. Methinks they forgot what it is that made the game so great.

Share this comment

From vanilla SC4? Not necessarily.

It's just that EA doesn't know how to make money. Profits are the reward, not the reason, for selling products. The reason for running busniess is to supply society with products and services that satisfy demands.

If Simcity 2013 fails, it's because EA have no idea how to market a city building game. Too much FarmVille, not enough Minecraft.

Share this comment

The two are hardly comparable.  Only the name is the same to obscure the new title.  I should really be called The Sims Urban Edition or SimCity:Social verson 2.

It totally lacks the scope and maturity of SC4, but at the same time will provide a platform for the younger gaming set who want fancy graphics above all.  Who cares?  I sometimes play rogue which is no graphics at all or Adventure which is all text.

Share this comment

I can't believe they want $80 for the full version. I was kind of worried at first that it was going to replace SC4 for a lot of people, but the more I look into it the more it just looks like a simplistic re-hash of Cities XL with goofy graphics, limited actions, and not a lot of content. I agree that it will appeal to a younger (and unsophisticated) audience. Ironically, it could be a starting point for new players who will eventually want more and then take up SC4. My prediction: In 2 years I'll see it in the sale bin at Staples for $8.99

Share this comment

...or it's an upgrade from SC Societies...The truth is this new Sim Cities is just an opportunity for EA make some easy cash...In the beginning they  tried to used the hardcore fan to gain some respect or avoid criticism but at this point they can care less for the hardcore fans...This will be another fail like it was cities XL...   

Share this comment

I can't believe they want $80 for the full version. I was kind of worried at first that it was going to replace SC4 for a lot of people, but the more I look into it the more it just looks like a simplistic re-hash of Cities XL with goofy graphics, limited actions, and not a lot of content. I agree that it will appeal to a younger (and unsophisticated) audience. Ironically, it could be a starting point for new players who will eventually want more and then take up SC4. My prediction: In 2 years I'll see it in the sale bin at Staples for $8.99

Sad thing is, if that's happened then you probably couldn't play it anyways because the servers would be down by then.

Share this comment

Having recently reinstalled SC4, the necessary mods and the hundreds of BATs I missed between my active period on Simtropolis and today, I can honestly say that the only reason I decided to do just that was because of the limitations I could see piling up with SC2013..

The game looks like fun and I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to play it, but as someone who's looking to resurrect a City Journal, the new game will only remind my of how limited SC4 was in the beginning. What angers me is that in vanilla SC4 I COULD plant Big Ben or other monuments without having to buy DLC, I could build cities in a massive region on giant scales, I could terraform, save locally, right before I destroyed everything in a massive fireball, I could build farms, and so on and so forth. The new SC2013 looks more like a deeper version of the neighbourhood view in The Sims than it looks like a successor to SC4.

I tell ya, after Will Wright left Maxis (probably disgusted by how his vision of Spore was mangled into being 'cutesy'), I stopped caring about EA + Maxis.

Share this comment