• Freddyeddy
    Freddyeddy

Gamespot rates SimCity 5/10: "...equal parts joy and misery."

SimCity is a good game hobbled by its insistence on putting as many obstacles as it can between it and you. You can point to the ridiculous online connection problems that have bogged down the game's launch as the most obvious examples of this, but they aren't the only ones. From its online infrastructure to the simulation that powers each city, SimCity has numerous flaws that can turn a few hours of delight into a few hours of seething frustration. Many, or even most, of these flaws can be fixed, but it's the here and now that's important--and in the here and now, SimCity is a fun, engaging, and broken game.

Just how broken the always-online SimCity is depends on when you're playing, what server you choose, and the sheer luck of the draw. Did it need to be this way? Probably not: the game offers the option to have a fully single-player experience in a closed region of your own creation. Alas, you must sign into SimCity (the service)--as well as Electronic Arts' Origin service--in order to play SimCity (the game). Since the game's release, connecting has been a crapshoot. You may not be able to log in at all, or the server might be full. In that case, you don't enter a standard queue as you might in a massively multiplayer online game (though to be clear, SimCity is not an MMOG). Instead, you initiate a 20-minute countdown. Should the server be full when the countdown is finished, the countdown and the wait begin again.

So what is the benefit to the always-online aspect of SimCity? It's in the regional structure: you share an entire region with other players or, if you prefer, with other cities you yourself manage. This means up to 16 people are performing their mayoral duties in one geographical expanse, though you work with only a single city at a time. SimCity is a shared experience, though not just from a social perspective, but also from a mechanical perspective. No city is meant to be all things at once, as the relatively minor plot of land you get to work with indicates from the get-go. You can focus on tourism by placing--er, plopping, as the game calls it--landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and reaping the financial benefits. But in doing so, you may not have room to plop structures that allow you to mine ore, or export resources. You must choose: your city is not going to be a sprawling, self-contained urban center no matter how clever you think you can be.

Rest at source.

Sign in to follow this  
    Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

And that's the big one folks.  Whether you think it has credibility or not, Gamespot is the big kid on the block when it comes to internet gaming sites.

Share this comment

5/10 for me too... I was prepared to rate it a 6 or even a 7 before launch and I'm glad I held back.

These huge differences in rating goes to show you that the closed/dev/press betas of the game were not reflective of the final product. Some have even re-rated the game and apologized for their initial misleading ratings.

Share this comment

Well Maxis,  next time you might want to listen to the fanbase and actually make a game ppl want to play! Which means no damn online and more features to actually build a city. But most of all, make it a game that ppl want to OWN and CAN own, NOT rent.

I hope you didn't kill the franchise over this foolishness.

Share this comment

its the score this game deserves sadly. take a good long look in the mirror ea. this is what your horrible business practices get you. the funny thing is you had the nerve to charge people for a game which is not even ready, and yet you still took the players money before having a finished product. in a perfect world, these same players should be refunded immediately and be able to play your half finished game for free until its fully functional. and then pay you full price if they want to stick around

Share this comment

its the score this game deserves sadly. take a good long look in the mirror ea. this is what your horrible business practices get you. the funny thing is you had the nerve to charge people for a game which is not even ready, and yet you still took the players money before having a finished product. in a perfect world, these same players should be refunded immediately and be able to play your half finished game for free until its fully functional. and then pay you full price if they want to stick around

Yes that's so true. Going for this always-connnected to server model they should have had a free-to-play beta phase, and I dont mean the 1-hour joke they did, no a massive accessible to all beta phase to iron these issues out. Once they had done away with the issues they could say "ok, we can go Gold now, the product is ready for sale". I dont think anyone would have had a problem with that (not regaring now what one thinks of always-online in general).

Share this comment

This is the least satisfying "I told you so" I've ever been in a position to say.  I wanted to play this game, offline, by myself, as I've always played SC games.  I get enough social networking here and at Facebook, I don't need it EVERYWHERE I TURN.  So, the huge multiplayer, always-online, completely-socially-integrated approach they took to this game was a massive turn-off to me, and, in my most honest frame of mind, I'm actually a bit glad to see this happen.  But, like I said, this is the opposite of satisfying.  Why couldn't it be some other game?  Some other franchise?  Something I don't play and am not interested in in the least?  It makes me wish they had just left us alone with our SC4.

Share this comment

I've said this once and I've said it a thousand times: all I wanted from SC5 is SC4 with updated graphics. Don't fix what ain't broken, Maxis.

Share this comment

Its so funny, people have been trying to help EA by saying don't have online requirements and cities can't be that small and bam here are the official ratings saying just that when its too late. For the millionth time why don't they listen to us at all?!

Im so glad i didnt blow my money on the new game

Share this comment

I'm also quite disappointed that EA/Maxis didn't listen to it's fan base. I've been in customer service for over 15 years and I learned a very valuable rule. It's so much harder to get a customer to come back. I like most people on this forum REALLY REALLY wanted this game to work, I've been a huge investor in this franchise and I feel cheated. Luckily(?) I didn't buy the game either. Ah, so much promise.

Share this comment

Simcity 5 has more launch problems than North Korea.

What, exactly, has more launch problems?

All I'm seeing is a blank space.  :/

Also...

Mv2itDc.png

Share this comment

I didn't buy this game and I'm glad I didn't but gdamn EA you are pissing me off so bad for ruining this once AMAZING franchise.

Share this comment