• Decius
    Decius

EA boss proudly refuses to publish single-player games

Electronic Arts' games label boss Frank Gibeau has revealed that he's not let any solely single-player games pass through his gates, ensuring that absolutely every single title the company publishes has an online component

I gues this is why our beloved SINGLEPLAYER has gone Multiplayer

User Feedback

wow, what a tool! Feel a lot better now about cancelling my subscription to SWTOR a while ago in protest of the move to make SimCity online only (even though I enjoyed it). I will simply never buy another EA product. Ever.

Share this comment

No one is objecting to an "online component" to sim city, I think it's sort of cool... but not having a single player component is foolish and will keep many people from buying it. Good job Frank Gibeau... you just lost a lot of potential return customers. There will always be another game company to swoop in and take those customers away with their single player city sim. Looks like Cities in Motion 2 is going to have city building and complete transport options.

Share this comment

Wow, a single player simcity really is compleatly dead now. Will continue to however love SimCity 4, best SINGLE PLAYER simcity to date!

Share this comment

Well, I'm glad the community is keeping SC4 fresh with all the new content like RHW. Seems the wait will continue for a good replacement. I was undecided on whether or not to buy the new Sim City until I read this.

Share this comment

^^^ :| Ummm Guys, please keep in mind that Simtropolis is a community, not a "flame" pit. Be sure that you don't flame other people.

Share this comment

Wow, a single player simcity really is compleatly dead now. Will continue to however love SimCity 4, best SINGLE PLAYER simcity to date!

That implies that the multiplayer one could be better.

SimCity 4 is the best simulation game to date!

And it will probably remain so for long years.

Share this comment

"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers"

I was drinking milk, and after reading that, the milk got somehow on my screen. Can I sue EA for making so hilarious statement?

Share this comment

first of all, lets be mature and keep the comments clean (im not a moderator)

secondly... im at a point were WHO CARES!!! i have given up hope on EA in general.

i am however going to give sc2013 a go before i praise/talk trash about it

Share this comment

I think this is the result of the high number of illegal downloads. Many years PC gaming was almost dead (due the console gaming) The PC market was just to big a risk for losing money so gamestudios sometimes didnt bother to make pc version anymore (Red Redemption) . Now everybody is connected with high speed internet there are new opportunities. The way to make money is now by online gaming (WoW) or micro transactions (Angry Birds)

Do i like this? No! But i guess its all our fault. We let piracy go way out of hand. So i dont blame EA or other gamecompanies for this so they can make a profit.

The gamemarket is not an easy market. Alot of gamestudios went down last couple of years. If its going to be a good profitable market again many new gamestudios will raise (and so good games will come back)

Share this comment

There will be people who, just as proudly, will refuse to buy a game that doesn't have single player, at least as an option. I'm not saying the online component isn't nice, it might be. But if you are in the middle of a field, or your connection is down, but you stil want to play the game, you can't. And that's annoying.

Share this comment

I think this is the result of the high number of illegal downloads. Many years PC gaming was almost dead (due the console gaming) The PC market was just to big a risk for losing money so gamestudios sometimes didnt bother to make pc version anymore (Red Redemption) . Now everybody is connected with high speed internet there are new opportunities. The way to make money is now by online gaming (WoW) or micro transactions (Angry Birds)

Do i like this? No! But i guess its all our fault. We let piracy go way out of hand. So i dont blame EA or other gamecompanies for this so they can make a profit.

The gamemarket is not an easy market. Alot of gamestudios went down last couple of years. If its going to be a good profitable market again many new gamestudios will raise (and so good games will come back)

I diagree with the argument that it is piracy that is the cause and you fall right into EA hands. EA just use this as a excuse bnothing more. There is just as much piracy with the consoles as there is with the pc. As i said before EA use this as a excuse when one of there games doesnt sell because it crap. EA are doomed.

Share this comment

Looks like I'll never buy this game or any other by EA for that matter. I guess the trouble I went through for that Planetside 2 beta code was well worth it.

Share this comment

ferryv, on , said:

I diagree with the argument that it is piracy that is the cause and you fall right into EA hands. EA just use this as a excuse bnothing more. There is just as much piracy with the consoles as there is with the pc. As i said before EA use this as a excuse when one of there games doesnt sell because it crap. EA are doomed.

You have all the right to diSagree, but atleast write the truth and underly your statements.

Mistake no1: " EA just use this as a excuse bnothing more"

EA dont use piracy as an excuse, thats my opinion for the whole game market.

Mistake no2: "There is just as much piracy with the consoles as there is with the pc"

If you go to a ragular piracy point for illegal games you will see that pc gaming is more pirated than console gaming. For example: check a famous torrent website and see the differences in seeders/leachers between PC and Console (http://kat.ph/pc-games/ http://kat.ph/ps3/ http://kat.ph/xbox360/)

So if you wanna diSagree thats fine by me. But alleast get your facts/statements right...

Share this comment

Well it's not an easy market for huge corporations like EA. Games sell better than ever, even with piracy, so where is the problem? Why has making a game suddenly gone so expensive?

Has EA grown too big (with all useless employees not working in game development) and wasting money on DRM, origin, F2P, marketing and insisting having multiplayer in every game rather than ensuring the developers (quite small number of people if you think EA as a whole) free hands to make the game they and customers want.

If EA want's to make money, they better stop wasting it on features that are not wanted, security measures that turns away paying customers, and fire lots of EA support personel and useless well paid people like Frank Gibeau, not game developers.

Share this comment

a completely locked down micro + addon "enhanced" ala Sim3-esque game + a high potential of $$$ from impulsive buyers = Sims 4 + Simcity 5

= $$$ for shareholders

Share this comment

Silly statement for him to make. He is an employee of EA, no matter how highly placed. Policies change and he is not the arbiter of these things no matter who he thinks he is.

This policy is folly. It shuts EA out of a large community of people who dont want to share. I happen to be one of them.

For some reason, probably driven by the bottom line, some person or persons in EA are making rather dicey decisions and enunciating them rather clearly.

Long live SimCity 4 Deluxe!

Share this comment

So, you buy a studio (Maxis) that publishes Single player games but you refuse to publish them as single player .. how weird. It's just raping the industry.

Share this comment

ferryv, on , said:

Well it's not an easy market for huge corporations like EA. Games sell better than ever, even with piracy, so where is the problem? Why has making a game suddenly gone so expensive?

Has EA grown too big (with all useless employees not working in game development) and wasting money on DRM, origin, F2P, marketing and insisting having multiplayer in every game rather than ensuring the developers (quite small number of people if you think EA as a whole) free hands to make the game they and customers want.

If EA want's to make money, they better stop wasting it on features that are not wanted, security measures that turns away paying customers, and fire lots of EA support personel and useless well paid people like Frank Gibeau, not game developers.

Do games sell beter than ever? Can you support that? and if its such a good market how come i dont see a small gamestudio making a SimCity4 on steriods that everyone wants? Totaly offline, with cities of 10x10km and super terraforming? Its 2012 and possible. So who is making the real next simcity? You?

I just get a bad mood of all those compainers that saying to boycot everything, but i put my money on it that most of them are playing next year all those game that you have to be online for. Reason? Because i think all the big studios are gonna build games this way (Sony, Ubisoft etc)

Share this comment