• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Banidhoo: Paradise lost?

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_1.jpg

Replies:

Alexander.Tooke: Thanks. Your gushing is welcome anytime!

ggamgus: Thanks. I put alot of effort into these weekly updates. How did you manage daily updates for so long?

terring: Thanks!

Simul8ter8: Your high praise is greatly appreciated.

10000000000000: Yes, that is LBT content made into props by Debussyman.

Paulobergonci: It is LBTs stuff. If you follow this link you will find his stuff http://descargas.capitalsim.net/index.php?sitio=csc.

SmartbyLaw: I hope you like today's update.

b22rian: Thanks fellow Help Desk user.

hahei: Not sure that I have enough knowledge to do a tutorial, I just move stuff around in Lot Editor.

matheuspaulo: I would like to come to Brazil and see these islands.

escilnavia: See the link that I gave Paulobergonci above.

TekindusT: Thanks, I thought very carefully about how to integrate everything.

Macko123456: Glad I could transport you to the Mahibadhoos.

DamienM23: Most of the buildings are by LBT, see the link I gave to Paulobergonci above. The rest are shanties from the STEX. It is all put together using Lot Editor. I find Lot Editor is essential to creating convincing cities.

Kevenbro: Thanks bro!

Evillions: Thanks, that means a lot coming from the creator of Onubis.

banidhoo_plastic_dump.jpg

Banidhoo is an artificial island in the Dhiraagu Atoll, about 6.5 kilometres from the capital of Dhiraagu. It was created in 1991 to be the municipal landfill for the capital city which was becoming overwhelmed with garbage. Banidhoo has since grown to become the major industrial hub for the Mahibadhoos.

banidhoo_image_2.jpg

While Banidhoo has succesfully relieved Dhiraagu of its waste predicament, the process of dumping garbage indiscriminately has become an ecological hazard. Much of the garbage dumped here contains asbestos and other harmful toxic metals such as mercury and lead and threatens to leach into the sea. In light of this, the Mahibadhian government has restricted the types of waste that can be dumped on Mahibadhoo and resort islands have been encouraged to limit their non-recyclable garbage.

banidhoo_mosaic_1.jpg

About 1000 workers live on Banidhoo to sort the garbage, work at the port, and in industrial warehouses. Most of the workers are poor immigrants from Gharbiyya and Mauritania and live in a rather drab housing block. A mosque was recently built on the island to provide the workforce some spiritual motivation.

banidhoo_mosaic_3.jpg

Banidhoo is the only major container port in the Mahibadhoos and most imports and exports go through the Banidhoo cargo terminal.

banidhoo_mosaic_2.jpg

By night, the workers of Banidhoo are still hard at work in the factories and warehouses, particularly in the Pepsi Bottling Plant that has recently opened.

banidhoo_image_1.jpg

15 Comments

Recommended Comments

This is just amazing. I seem to have lost my lower jaw. I love the chemical tanks at the port and the seawalls. To answer your question, it was summer and I didn't have much to do. But that's no longer the case, so I don't think I'll ever do that again. :D

Share this comment

Where did you get those garbage piles? I would like to use them in the future.

btw, interesting concept. Definitely I like to see all these islands come together in one picture. That would be just jaw dropping.

Share this comment

This is just incredible stuff here--that's a fantastic looking seaport, and that's got to be the nicest SC4 landfill I've seen.

Share this comment

One of the most realistic landfills ever.

Where did you get the warehouses and the seawalls? Very realistic. 5/5

Share this comment

Very pleasing to the eye and colorful. Here is a suggestion: put empty filler concrete where you have those dead end streets; it will make the transition a little better (i.e. no grass for sims to drive over to get to the containers or drive into the lot.)

Share this comment

Where did you get all those warehouses? That is some brilliant water. And I agree, this is a very beautiful garbage island, hehe, great job.

Share this comment