• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

About this City Journal

A diverse federation of Islamic nations.

Entries in this City Journal

elavery

Hiatus

For the time being, this CJ is going on hiatus. I have greatly enjoyed bringing you the nations of Gharbiyya, Mahibadhoos, and Dhahran; and the trixie for most awe inspiring CJ was a highlight.

I will be back over the summer most likely with a new CJ, perhaps another middle eastern one, but also perhaps an entirely new part of the world. It is also possible in the future that this CJ returns.

Thank you all for your support, comments, and visits.

elavery

2000px-Flag_of_Cyrenaica_svg-1.png

To celebrate the one year anniversary of the Zouérat Islamic Federation City Journal, I am showing a selection of my favourite images from the nations of Gharbiyya, Mahibadhoos, and Dhahran.

Gharbiyya

lagouira_banner_2.jpg

LagouiraImage5.jpg

LagouiraImage4.jpg

LagouiraImage9.jpg

lagouira_airport_4.jpg

The Mahibadhoos

mahibadhoos_banner_3.jpg

maeenboodhoo_mosaic_2.jpg

dhiraagu_airport_mosaic_1.jpg

dhiraagu_mosaic_2.jpg

dhiraagu_mosaic_3.jpg

dhiraagu_image_2.jpg

The Emirate of Dhahran

dhahran_banner.jpg

dhahran_mosaic_2.jpg

dhahran_mosaic_5.jpg

dhahran_mosaic_7.jpg

business_bay_night_3.jpg

Thank you for visiting, commenting, and rating this City Journal over the past year. I hope you have enjoyed experiencing Zouérat Islamic Federation as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to you. And don't forget to vote in the trixies!

elavery

Business Bay by night

dhahran_banner.jpg

This night shot gives a good overview of the Business Bay development, stretching from the JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Towers at the top of the shot to the Signature Towers at the bottom of the shot.

business_bay_night_1.jpg

This shot captures the Vision Tower, The Bay Gate, One Business Bay, and the Tiara United Towers.

business_bay_night_2.jpg

business_bay_night_4.jpg

Another day in Dhahran is coming to an end, please join me next time as we continue following the Business Bay development and get closer to the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa.

business_bay_night_3.jpg

elavery

Business Bay Preview

dhahran_banner.jpg

Business Bay is a central business district under construction in the Emirate of Dhahran. Business Bay is set between Sheikh Al Maktoum Road and the extended Dhahran creek. Thanks to the vision of Sheikh Maktoum and the marvels of modern engineering, it is now possible to have waterfront views in the middle of the desert! Business Bay is expected to be completed by 2020 and to become the financial hub of the Middle East.

business_bay_mosaic_1.jpg

elavery

dhahran_banner.jpg

Today is our second and final visit to the Umm Suqeim district of Dhahran. Umm Suqeim has few buildings of note and is mostly just suburban sprawl with many residents choosing to live here and work in the nearby Business Bay District.

jumeirah_mosaic_21.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_20.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_19.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_18.jpg

Please join us next time as we will visit the Business Bay District which will bring you what you have all been waiting for, futuristic skyscrapers rising from the desert sand.

elavery

dhahran_banner.jpg

Umm Suqeim is a largely residential neighbourhood which borders Jumeirah. The waterfront district of Umm Suqeim features much less development than Jumeirah, but one project is the Umm Suqeim Fishermen Harbour. Unfortunately the credit crisis which has hit Dhahran bad, has halted construction on this project. In this mosaic below you can see that the harbour has been developed but the rest of the man-made peninsula awaits residential development.

jumeirah_mosaic_17.jpg

Whilst housing some luxury yachts, this harbour project is also intended for use by the traditional fishermen - a nod to the traditional fish and pearl merchants who were once the backbone of the Emirate before oil.

Please join us next time as we continue our tour of the Umm Suqeim district.

[Authors note: Please accept my apologies for the inactivity of this CJ recently, I had to go to Nigeria for a couple of weeks because of work which put my sim city work behind schedule, I am currently busy working away on Dhahran, but just doing some rather uninteresting suburban and industrial sprawl at the moment.]

elavery

Madinat Jumeirah

dhahran_banner.jpg

Covering more than 40 hectares and consisting of 4.5 kilometres of waterways, Madinat Jumeirah is one of the most exclusive resorts in the Emirate of Dhahran. Located adjacent to Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab, and Wild Wadi Water Park, Madinat Jumeirah is just a 30 minute drive from Dhahran International Airport and a 10 minute drive from Mall of the Emirates.

jumeirah_image_3.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_15.jpg

Opened in 2003, Madinat Jumeirah offers luxury hotels, apartments, shopping and dining to tourists from all over the world. The architecture is Arabian inspired and the underlying concept is to recreate traditional Dhahranian life as it used to be in the days of pearl diving and fishing. The waterways are also home to a turtle sanctuary, reaffirming Dhahran's commitment to the enviroment.

jumeirah_mosaic_13.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_16.jpg

jumeirah_image_6.jpg

jumeirah_image_5.jpg

jumeirah_night_mosaic_2.jpg

jumeirah_image_4.jpg

Please join me next time, as our journey to Dhahran will take us to a new district of the city.

elavery

Al Quoz Industrial District

dhahran_banner.jpg

At first glance the Emirate of Dhahran may seem to be full of skyscrapers and mansions, but there is much more to this Emirate than meets the eye. Situated close to the Mall of the Emirates and Sheikh Al Maktoum Road is Al Quoz Industrial District.

jumeirah_mosaic_10.jpg

Al Quoz is one of the biggest industrial hubs in the Middle East and has factories and stores representing most of the world's major companies, including retail stores such as Walmart, Target, and Ikea.

jumeirah_mosaic_12.jpg

jumeirah_mosaic_11.jpg

I hope you have found this visit to a less glamourous part of Dhahran interesting. Please join me next time as we return to the Jumeirah waterfront.

elavery

Mall of the Emirates

dhahran_banner.jpg

mall_of_the_emirates_image_1.jpg

The Mall of the Emirates, located in Al Barsha district next to Sheikh Al Maktoum Road (the major highway of Dhahran), is the second largest shopping mall in the Emirate. It contains 220,000 m2 of retail space with 520 stores and 8 anchor stores which include Carrefour, Centrepoint, Debenhams, Harvey Nichols, Jashanmal, Marks & Spencer, Virgin Megastore, and VOX Cinemas.

dhahran_mosaic_8.jpg

westin_hotel_logo.jpg

pullman_hotel_logo.jpg

kempinski_hotel_logo.jpg

Shoppers from all over the world travel to Dhahran to enjoy the Mall of the Emirates, and because of this, the mall also contains three five-star hotels. To the left you can see the Westin, and to the right you can see the Pullman Hotel.

dhahran_mosaic_7.jpg

The third hotel, The Kempinski Hotel, is located infront of Ski Dhahran.

dhahran_image_2.jpg

ski_dubai_image_1.jpg

Emerging out of the hostile desert, Ski Dhahran brings the slopes of Europe to the Middle East and is yet another example of Dhahran defying its location.

dhahran_mosaic_9.jpg

With all of the attractions the Mall of the Emirates has to offer, the Al Barsha district has become a very fashionable place to live with new apartment buildings and condos rising up from the desert floor, including some very sizeable skyscrapers.

dhahran_image_1.jpg

Even as night falls, the Mall and the wider Al Barsha district is still full of activity.

dhahran_night_mosaic_1.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed today's retail therapy, our next visit will be to the less glamourous Al Quoz Industrial District. Don't forget that replies are now located at the end of the previous entry's comments section.

elavery

Jumeirah Mosaic

dhahran_banner.jpg

The neighbourhood of Jumeirah has seen rapid residential growth over the last ten years. Its close proximity to beaches, shopping, and industry have made it very popular with expat workers. Enjoy the suburban monotony of Jumeirah in the mosaic below.

dhahran_mosaic_6.jpg

In our next visit to Dhahran we will visit The Mall of the Emirates and the Al Quoz Industrial Area.

elavery

dhahran_banner.jpg

The Emirate of Dhahran has experienced remarkable growth over the last two decades and it is often claimed that Dhahran is the fastest growing city in the history of the planet. One neighbourhood that has been at the forefront of this growth is Jumeirah which up until recently was mostly empty desert and uninhabited beaches. Today, Jumeirah is a fashionable residential neighbourhood where many of the wealthy foreign workers reside, and also a popular tourist hub with numerous hotels and resorts lining the coast.

burj_al_arab.jpg

burj_al_arab_logo.jpeg

Burj Al Arab is perhaps the worlds most famous hotel and certainly the most luxurious. At 321 metres it is the fourth tallest hotel in the world and its completion in 1999 officially announed Dhahran to the world. The revolutionary 'sail' design and construction on an artificial island was implemented upon orders of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum who wanted the hotel to be iconic.

dhahran_mosaic_2.jpg

lagouira_mosaic_4.jpg

Upon entering Burj Al Arab, guests are immediately struck by the large atrium which runs the full height of the hotel.

burj_al_arab_lobby.jpg

The Burj Al Arab is unique in that every room is a luxury suite, the largest being 780 square metres, the smallest being 169 square metres. Prices of the suites vary from $1,000 per night to $27,000 per night. The Royal Suite is perhaps the most luxurious of them all.

burj_al_arab_suite.jpg

wild_wadi_logo.jpg

Wild Wadi waterpark is situated on Jumeirah Beach across from Burj Al Arab and is one of the most popular destinations for tourists looking to relieve themselves of the intense heat of Dhahran. Wild Wadi contains numerous swimming pools and boasts the largest water slide outside of North America.

dhahran_mosaic_5.jpg

Next to Wild Wadi Water Park is Jumeirah Beach Hotel and Apartments. Built in 1997, Jumeirah Beach Hotel was the first major resort hotel in Dhahran and its wavy design is inspired by the sea and nicely compliments the sail shaped Burj Al Arab. Previously this stretch of Jumeirah Beach was home to floating oil storage tanks and ship wrecking yards so the transformation of the beach is nothing short of remarkable and further shows the growth of the Emirate. The hotel also contains a separate conference center located right in front of the main hotel buildings.

dhahran_mosaic_3.jpg

That is all for today, we will continue our tour of the Jumeirah district next time. Remember also that replies are now at the bottom of the previous entry.

elavery

Emirate of Dhahran

nVzgg.jpg

The Emirate of Dhahran is the wealthiest member of the Zouérat Islamic Federation with an economy based around oil, real estate, and tourism. Dhahran, which is essentially a city-state, lies on the Arabian Gulf and has long been a city of historical importance due to trading routes, pearl diving, and more recently, oil. The earliest settlement known as Dhahran was established in 1833 by Sheikh Maktoum bin Buti al Maktoum who convinced about 800 people to follow him from Saudi Arabia and establish a new settlement. In the 20th century, Dhahran was mostly under British Governance until independence was granted in 1969. The discovery of oil in the 1960s quickly transformed Dhahran from a sleepy fishing village to the modern Emirate it is today. The growth of the Emirate has accelerated at an unprecedented pace over the last 20 years as Dhahran has diversified its economy due to the limited supply of oil. It is often said that a third of the world's construction cranes can be found in Dhahran!

Dhahran General Information

Flag

2KPc2.jpg

Official Name: Emirate of Dhahran

Short Name: Dhahran

Demonym: Emirati

Ruler: Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum

Crown Prince: Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum

Currency: Zouérat Dirham

Official Language: Arabic

Official Religion: Islam

Population: 2,250,000

Nationality: Indian (35%), Emirati (17%), Pakistani (13%), Bangladeshi (8%), Filipino (2.5%), European (2.5%), Sri Lankan (1%), American (1%), Other (20%)

Internet TLD:.dh

Climate

Dhahran has a very hot arid climate. Summers are very hot and humid, with temperatures averaging above 40 degrees Celsius. Winters are warm with an average temperature of 23 degrees Celsius. Rainfall is sparse, Dhahran averages about 250mm of rain per year.

Politics

Dhahran is a Constitutional Monarchy which has been ruled by the Al Maktoum family since 1833. The Emir, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has absolute power over the Emirate.

A couple of preview shots of what is to come. Also, replies will now be done at the end of the comments section of each page.

66qij.jpg

PHmiw.jpg

elavery

LPPLJ.jpg

You have seen transparent oceans, golden beaches, islands covered in rubbish, bustling islands teeming with people, and an airport island.  But now it is time to say farewell to the Mahibadhoos.

Replies:

Prens: We need more cricket fields in this game.
Mithrik: See my reply to your post in the last entry.
MamaLuigi945: Thanks, I love mosaics.
hahei: See my reply to your post in the last entry.
MilitantRadical: You will need those eyes for seeing!
dubaidude303: Thanks again for visiting.
titanicbuff: Thanks.
colco2121: Hope your jaw is back in place for today's update.
b22rian: Thanks, Brian!
Simul8ter8: Unfortunately all sea walls seem to look bad at the farthest zoom.
Mastof: Thanks.
Evillions: Glad you liked the 'unofficial' image.
MisterRisk1: A lot of people seem to like the beach.
grstudios: Another one who likes the beach.  Thanks for visiting.
alerules: I love Lot Editor!
zeldafan: Thanks for visiting.

Today we end our trip to the Mahibadhoos with how we started - a visit to a resort island.  Gurabadhoo is an uninhabited island which is popular with tourists who wish to spend a day or two on a 'desert island' and really get away from the world.

majQZ.jpg

2l3Jt.jpg

niOuY.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed our trip through the Mahibadhoos, we may return again one day.  But for now it is time to move on to another member nation of the Zouérat Islamic Federation.  Find out which country is next on our travels in the next update!

9cvPS.jpg
elavery

dhiraagu_banner.jpg

Replies:

Mithrik: The Mahibadhian language actually looks very similar to Asian languages. Remember that the Mahibadhoos aren't in the Middle East but off the coast of Africa with a very diverse cultural history that has formed the unique group of people that inhabit these islands.

Evillions: Thanks for your compliments. I look forward to seeing your side projects. The commercial buildings are mostly plopped but all of the residential buildings are grown.

TekindusT: I am glad you like the mix of buildings - I just use my own judgement as to what fits and what doesn't.

MamaLuigi945: Your kind words mean a lot. I am always seeking perfection with my work.

dubaidude303: Thanks, glad my work can motivate you.

Neragua: Thanks, I am still getting more knowledgeable about building ports.

titanicbuff: Rivits water is the best out there.

Simul8ter8: I am a broken record too, I love to Lot!

Fox: Thanks for commenting both here and in the forums!

Simarco: Thanks!

100000000000000: Your work in Atlantsia is every bit as good as mine. I hope to see an Atlantsia update soon.

k50: Despite being an old game, you can still do some remarkable stuff with SC4.

MilitantRadical: Thank you for visiting!

colco2121: Thanks for your compliments!

A couple of mosaics today which prominently display the National Sports Complex which contains basketball and tennis courts, football training fields, and the National Cricket Stadium. Cricket is a rapidly growing sport in the Mahibadhoos, despite being one of the lowest ranked national teams.

dhiraagu_mosaic_8.jpg

dhiraagu_mosaic_9.jpg

And finally, a mosaic which shows the entire island of Dhiraagu; I think this shot shows just how crowded the capital city is. The small size of the island is popular with tourists as they can walk the entire city and experience centuries of Mahibadhian culture in one afternoon before heading off to the resort islands

(Please treat the following image as unofficial as I don't consider its appearance to be up to the standards I wish to set in this CJ - unfortunately the sea walls I use do not look great at this zoom level and some of the buildings have a strange appearance also).

dhiraagu_mosaic_10.jpg

elavery

dhiraagu_banner.jpg

Replies:

Frex_Ceafus: Thanks for visiting.

NurelFayed: Yeah, that little mosque does look good, particularly with the cemetery.

Simul8ter8: Thanks, I spend a lot of time on the little details so I am glad when people notice them. Your CJ is awesome by the way!

ggamgus: Thank you your excellency.

k50: I love the Lot Editor.

Schulmanator: Yes, I always feel like swimming too, particularly now that it is summer and have weather that is similar to the Mahibadhian climate.

TekindusT: Thanks, I put a lot of thought into what BATs to use.

dubaidude303: Thanks!

Evillions: Hope you like today's update. How is Gobar these days?

cashmoney: Thanks.

keder: Thank you for visiting.

b22rian: Thanks Brian, your compliments mean a lot.

10000000000000: The wow factor!

artyom_ivanov: The minaret is by frogface. Just search frogface on the STEX.

JCmustng11: Gurry's sea walls are my favourite.

Fox: I must say that I was pleased with how the beach turned out.

ilovedogs: If you visit http://descargas.cap....net/?sitio=csc and type 'colonial' into the search you will find all of these buildings.

Hazani Pratama: Glad you liked the beach.

dhiraagu_image_6.jpg

Today we continue our tour of Dhiraagu, the capital city of the Mahibadhoos. Dhiraagu is an extremely crowded city but as you can see, there are a few areas reserved for recreation - these basketball and football courts being a good example of this.

dhiraagu_mosaic_4.jpg

dhiraagu_mosaic_5.jpg

Dhiraagu has a sizeable commercial port that is the second biggest in the country. Banidhoo, which we saw in an earlier update has the nations biggest port.

dhiraagu_mosaic_7.jpg

dhiraagu_mosaic_6.jpg

Another spot of recreation, Henveiru Stadium (capacity 500) which is home to local soccer club Eagles FC and acts as a training ground for the Mahibadhian national team when the National Stadium is unavailable.

dhiraagu_image_5.jpg

For now, another Mahibadhian day comes to a close under the glow of the National Islamic Centre.

dhiraagu_night_image_3.jpg

elavery

Dhiraagu

dhiraagu_banner.jpgReplies:

Simul8ter8: The wait is over.

ggamgus: I hope it was worth the wait.

Evillions: Information about the sea walls can be found here: http://sc4devotion.c...p?topic=14759.0

dubaidude303: Thanks!

westy177: Here it is!

TekindusT: Thanks!

111222333444: Thanks!

b22rian: Thanks for your comment!

SimCoug: I like the cemetery also - put Lot Editor to good use.

LastTrueChamp: It is a very eclectic mix of buildings.

kakado_to_save: I can only say thanks!

titanicbuff: Thanks!

dhiraagu_mosaic_2.jpg

Dhiraagu is the capital and most populous city in the Mahibadhoos. With a 103,000 people crammed into 6 square kilometres (2 square miles), Dhiraagu contains a third of the Mahibadhian population and almost every Mahibadhian at some point either lives in or visits the city as it is the center of all administration and bureaucracy. The population has increased 80,000 in the last 25 years. The city of Dhiraagu is the only ordinary Mahibadhian city that tourists are permitted to visit and experience the traditional Islamic culture of the nation.

In the mosaic below you can see the bustling port on the northern shore of the island and the marina where tourists enter the city. Tourists can immediately immerse themselves in the main business district of the city and Jumhoree Maidhaan - the central square which is bordered by the National Islamic Centre, the National Military Headquarters, and the National Police Headquarters. Just behind the National Islamic Centre is the Sultan Park - the national garden of the Mahibadhoos. Jumhoree Maidhaan has been the center of much protest lately as the Mahibadhian people have been fighting against government corruption and poor living standards.

dhiraagu_mosaic_3.jpg

Also near Jumhoree Maidhaan is the ancient Friday Mosque - the oldest structure in the country with its historic graveyard.

dhiraagu_image_3.jpg

Across the street from the Friday Mosque is Muliaage - the Presidential Palace which is also a historic building. Contrasting both the Friday Mosque and Muliaage is the Velaanaage Office Building, the largest and most modern office structure in the nation.

dhiraagu_image_4.jpg

In a bid to improve living standards and happiness on the island the government decided to construct a man-made beach to offer a small escape from the hustle and bustle of the cramped capital. The man-made beach was built on reclaimed land and is a hit with the locals - most tourists leave their beach-going until they reach the resort islands.

dhiraagu_image_1.jpg

dhiraagu_image_2.jpg

By night, Dhiraagu continues to bustle with the entertainment tonight being an international football match at the National Stadium between the Mahibadhoos and Cape Verde.

dhiraagu_night_image_2.jpg

Over at Jumhoree Maidhaan, the green glow of the Presidential Palce illuminates the night sky.

dhiraagu_night_image_1.jpg

Please join me next time as we continue our tour of Dhiraagu.

elavery

Dhiraagu Preview

mahibadhoos_banner_3.jpg

Replies:

Thanks so much for all the comments, I appreciate each and every one.

ggamgus: Thanks, I think you should create an atoll large enough for an airport - not all airports are huge.

111222333444: Thanks.

Fox: Thanks, I love putting together mosaics.

westy177: Thanks, for being a very old game you can still get some good pictures out of SC4.

k50dude: I am sure you could do that, the most time consuming thing is downloading all the lots. Hope the Timbers season starts to improve!

dubaidude303: Thanks, good to meet you in Help Desk chat.

Evillions: Yes there are too many intersections, but interestingly enought his airport is a recreation of a real-life airport.

TekindusT: I really wanted the Saudi plane in there and it only comes in 747 size.

MilitantRadical: Thanks!

Tarkus: Thanks Alex, thanks for all of your transit work.

Simul8ter8: Thanks for visiting.

Ghostlider: Thanks!

azottor: Which Mod do you mean? The ocean is Rivit's water mod. The sea walls are by nbvc.

colco2121: Thanks, I spend a bit of time editing the photos.

cedricfu: Thanks!

7891122562059523: Thanks for visiting!

cjwillis96: Thanks bro!

Megabuilder6: I have always wanted to recreate St Martin/St Maarten and its airport. Maybe a future CJ.

JCmustng11: Thanks, the airport took about a week to put together.

spa: As usual, MMP flora makes all the difference, without it the plain grass looks very fake.

Just a hint of what you will be seeing in the next update when we visit the capital city of the Mahibadhoos, Dhiraagu. More soon.

dhiraagu_mosaic_1.jpg

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_3.jpg

Replies:

Mastof: Thanks!

westy177: Thanks!

111222333444: Thanks, numbers!

ggamgus: You should try building some airports for your CJs, maybe one for the atoll nation you are working on?

kakado_to_save: Another update today.

dubaidude303: There are a lot of great airports out there, I hope my one is something a bit unique.

tigerbuilder: Thanks, see you in Help Desk.

titanicbuff: You could do this with airports, just download some stuff.

Simarco: Thanks!

TekindusT: Your description is exactly what I was going for.

Evillions: Things need to be compact on islands.

Megabuilder6: More pictures today.

city89: Saudi plane is here http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2767.

_marsh_: Thanks!

escilnavia: You create some amazing stuff yourself.

Today we visit Dhiraagu International Airport on the island of Hulhulé for the second and final time. Today you will see the cargo terminal...

dhiraagu_airport_image_4.jpg

...the Hulhulé Airport Hotel, the Domestic terminal, and the International terminal.

dhiraagu_airport_mosaic_3.jpg

Here you can see the newly-built Control Tower on the Eastern side of the island.

dhiraagu_airport_mosaic_2.jpg

And finally, another mosaic.

dhiraagu_airport_mosaic_4.jpg

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_3.jpg

Replies:

kakado_to_save: Thanks!

Evillions: I think the LBT Colonials can work in many different settings as they are of such high quality.

IL.: The buildings are LBT Colonial buildings from Capital Sim City website. PM me if you need links.

Simul8ter8: Thanks, the lotting is very time consuming.

_marsh_: Wow, a comment from marsh, the CJ expert.

Tarkus: Thanks, glad you like the lotting.

ggamgus: I am glad to see you doing an atoll nation also.

matheuspaulo: Thanks.

escilnavia: Thanks, I am a big fan of your work.

Wustmann: Thanks.

Jamonbread: Possum?

testuser1234: I don't use any maxis content so it virtually is a different game.

b22rian: Thanks for your comment.

_RIKISHI_: I use so many plugins it is hard to knwo where to start. If you have specific questions send me a PM.

dhiraagu_airport_image_5.jpg

Dhiraagu International Airport is located on the island of Hulhulé, just 1.4 kilometres from the capital, Dhiraagu. The island is largely reclaimed and in considered an administrative ward of Dhiraagu. The airport is served by multiple airlines regularly and then many charter airlines on a more sporadic basis.

Emirates Airlines offers flights once a week to fellow Zouérat Islamic Federation members Gharbiyya and Dhahran and also to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

500px-emirates_logo_svg.png

dhiraagu_airport_image_3.jpg

Saudi Arabian Airlines offers flights once a week to Jeddah and Riyadh.

saudi_arabian_airlines.jpg

dhiraagu_airport_image_2.jpg

Monarch Airlines offers charter flights from Luton, Birmingham, and Manchester in the United Kingdom.

monarch_airlines.jpg

dhiraagu_airport_image_1.jpg

Etihad offers flights once every two weeks from Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.

etihad_airways.jpg

Qatar Airways offers flights once a week to Doha.

1000px-qatar_airways_logo_svg.png

While Dhiraagu International Airport may not be the busiest airport around it is a vital link between the Mahibadhoos and the rest of the world and enables the tourist industry to flourish. Tourists can catch a boat directly from the island of Hulhulé to their resort island, most of which can be reached in an hour at most.

dhiraagu_airport_mosaic_1.jpg

In the next update we will continue our look at the island of Hulhulé and the International Airport.

elavery

Hithadhoo

mahibadhoos_banner_3.jpg

Replies:

ggamgus: I hope you have regained your jaw for today's update!

Evillions: The garbage piles are used in PEGs Garbage Dock Lot. I just got them from Lot Editor when I was creating the rubbish dump. A region shot might happen in the future, depending on how much I develop. I am using drunkapple's Male Atoll map.

TekindusT: Thanks, I still feel rather inexperienced at photo editing.

Frex_Ceafus: One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

titanicbuff: Thanks!

b22rian: I like the water too.

Tarkus: Thanks, I really value your feedback.

IL. Very funny.

escilnavia: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hellken: The sea walls are here http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=112. Just search Warehouses in the STEX, they are by cogeo I think.

dafiden: Thanks for your suggestion.

testuser1234: First time for everything!

Megabuilder: I never would have guessed how popular this garbage island would be.

packersfan: Warehouses are form the STEX and are by cogeo I think.

Our journey through the Mahibadhoos towards the capital of Dhiraagu continues with the island of Hithadhoo, about 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) west of the capital. Hithadhoo is one of the larger settlements in the Mahibadhoos with about 8000 people living on the island. Due to its proximity to the capital, Hithadhoo is relatively developed, particularly compared to the island of Maeenboodhoo which we visited a few weeks ago.

hithadhoo_mosaic.jpg

Due to soaring land values in crowded Dhiraagu, some companies have decided to relocate to Hithadhoo. This gleaming new office building was built to accommodate these companies.

hithadhoo_image_1.jpg

Hithadhoo also has the best football stadium in the Mahibadhoos outside of Dhiraagu. Victory SC, the most succesful Mahibadhian club outside of the capital play at this stadium.

hithadhoo_image_2.jpg

Hithadhoo, despite being densely populated, still however retains some great beaches and places to escape the hustle and bustle.

hithadhoo_image_3.jpg

Until next time, farewell from the Mahibadhoos.

hithadhoo_mosaic_2.jpg

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_1.jpg

Replies:

Alexander.Tooke: Thanks. Your gushing is welcome anytime!

ggamgus: Thanks. I put alot of effort into these weekly updates. How did you manage daily updates for so long?

terring: Thanks!

Simul8ter8: Your high praise is greatly appreciated.

10000000000000: Yes, that is LBT content made into props by Debussyman.

Paulobergonci: It is LBTs stuff. If you follow this link you will find his stuff http://descargas.capitalsim.net/index.php?sitio=csc.

SmartbyLaw: I hope you like today's update.

b22rian: Thanks fellow Help Desk user.

hahei: Not sure that I have enough knowledge to do a tutorial, I just move stuff around in Lot Editor.

matheuspaulo: I would like to come to Brazil and see these islands.

escilnavia: See the link that I gave Paulobergonci above.

TekindusT: Thanks, I thought very carefully about how to integrate everything.

Macko123456: Glad I could transport you to the Mahibadhoos.

DamienM23: Most of the buildings are by LBT, see the link I gave to Paulobergonci above. The rest are shanties from the STEX. It is all put together using Lot Editor. I find Lot Editor is essential to creating convincing cities.

Kevenbro: Thanks bro!

Evillions: Thanks, that means a lot coming from the creator of Onubis.

banidhoo_plastic_dump.jpg

Banidhoo is an artificial island in the Dhiraagu Atoll, about 6.5 kilometres from the capital of Dhiraagu. It was created in 1991 to be the municipal landfill for the capital city which was becoming overwhelmed with garbage. Banidhoo has since grown to become the major industrial hub for the Mahibadhoos.

banidhoo_image_2.jpg

While Banidhoo has succesfully relieved Dhiraagu of its waste predicament, the process of dumping garbage indiscriminately has become an ecological hazard. Much of the garbage dumped here contains asbestos and other harmful toxic metals such as mercury and lead and threatens to leach into the sea. In light of this, the Mahibadhian government has restricted the types of waste that can be dumped on Mahibadhoo and resort islands have been encouraged to limit their non-recyclable garbage.

banidhoo_mosaic_1.jpg

About 1000 workers live on Banidhoo to sort the garbage, work at the port, and in industrial warehouses. Most of the workers are poor immigrants from Gharbiyya and Mauritania and live in a rather drab housing block. A mosque was recently built on the island to provide the workforce some spiritual motivation.

banidhoo_mosaic_3.jpg

Banidhoo is the only major container port in the Mahibadhoos and most imports and exports go through the Banidhoo cargo terminal.

banidhoo_mosaic_2.jpg

By night, the workers of Banidhoo are still hard at work in the factories and warehouses, particularly in the Pepsi Bottling Plant that has recently opened.

banidhoo_image_1.jpg

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_1.jpg

Replies:

DCMetro34: The water colour for the most part works well. Although at shallow depths it can become a bit too bright.

titanicbuff: No shortage of ocean here!

Schulmanator: I kind of guessed everyone was in the mood for a tropical escape.

TowerDude: I want to go there too!

TekindusT: Today you will be seeing the other side of paradise.

ggamgus: Thanks for the rating!

Evillions: Thanks. That means a lot coming from an expert CJer as yourself.

10000000000000: Party time indeed.

hahei: I love mosaics.

maeenboodhoo_image_3.jpg

The village of Maeenboodhoo, population about 1200, is one of the main settlements on the atoll of Hulhudheli. Hulhudheli is one of the more isolated atolls in the country and is a quite a distance from the capital of Dhiraagu. This relative isolation means that the atoll is not as modernised as other parts of the Mahibadhoos.

maeenboodhoo_image_1.jpg

This overcrowded island is off-limits to tourists as the Mahibadhian government wants its population to retain a conservative islamic lifestyle. Some more cynical people claim the government doesn't want the outside world to see that such poverty exists in this supposed paradise.

maeenboodhoo_mosaic_1.jpg

Maeenboodhoo has a bustling little port and relies on everything from food and building materials being shipped in, as you can see there is no suitable farming land at all!

maeenboodhoo_mosaic_2.jpg

Not far from Maeenboodhoo is the uninhabited island of Rinbudhoo. When the people of Maeenboodhoo want to escape from their crowded island they come here. Rinbudhoo really is the definition of a desert island.

rinbudhoo_image_2.jpg

rinbudhoo_image_1.jpg

rinbudhoo_mosaic_1.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed today's visit to islands normally off-limits to outsiders. For now, it is time to rest and get ready for our next adventure in the Mahibadhoos.

maeenboodhoo_image_2.jpg

elavery

mahibadhoos_banner_1.jpg

Replies: (to last two entries)

logintime: It is all of those little details like foliage that make the difference in the end between a good city and a great city.

10000000000000: Thanks! I can't wait for the next Atlantsia update.

emperordaniel: Do you mean the minaret? If so, it is from a group of BATs by frogface. Just search frogface on the STEX.

TekindusT: Don't worry we may revisit Lagouira one day.

Evillions: I will see if I can put together a regional shot. Most of the region is undeveloped so there isn't much to see. You will be seeing more today of the Mahibadhoos.

ggamgus: Thanks as always for your high ratings!

terring: Thanks!

111222333444: Hope you like beaches!

escilnavia: Thanks. I put a lot of time into my flora placement.

banyantreehotelsresortslogo_2010_09_27.jpg

Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts is an international company with resorts all around the world. The company has opened many five-star resorts in the Mahibadhoos, taking advantage of the crystal clear water, great climate, and relative isolation of the country. Tourists come from all over the world to experience a little piece of Mahibadhian paradise.

angsana_ihuru_beach.jpg

These resort islands are only used for tourism and help the country run a tourist industry that doesn't intrude on the traditional islamic cultures of the Mahibadhian people. Tourists are not permitted to visit islands which contain Mahibadhian villages.

Today we will be visiting the islands of Angsana and Ihuru, both of which are only 20 minutes by speedboat from the capital city of Dhiraagu. These resorts are built in a traditional style that allow the buildings to blend into their natural surroundings, but don't be fooled, these resorts are five-star with all the modern luxuries tourists demand.

The island of Angsana is particularly popular.

angsana_ihuru_image_1.jpg

angsana_ihuru_image_2.jpg

angsana_ihuru_image_3.jpg

You can see how close the two islands are to each other below, Ihuru is at the top of the shot, Angsana at the bottom.

angsana_ihuru_mosaic.jpg

This day in paradise is coming to an end, but don't worry, every day in the Mahibadhian resort islands is like being in paradise.

angsana_ihuru_at_dusk.jpg

elavery

The Mahibadhoos

The next member nation of Zouérat Islamic Federation we will be visiting is the Mahibadhoos, a collection of atolls off the western coast of Africa. The Mahibadhoos have a history of many different cultures settling and governing the low-lying atolls, from the Arabs, to the Berbers, to the French, English, Portuguese and Spanish. All of these influences have lead to the nation gaining a very unique cultural identity and language. Independence was eventually granted from Britian in 1965. Despite being a prominent tourist destination due to the sandy white beaches and clear blue water, the Mahibadhoos to this this day remain a very conservative group of islands with a strict adherence to the Islamic faith.

Mahibadhoos General Information

Flag

500px-presidential_standard_of_the_maldives_svg.png

Official Name: Islamic Republic of Mahibadhoos

Short Name: Mahibadhoos

Demonym: Mahibadhian

Capital: Dhiraagu

Largest City: Dhiraagu

Currency: Zouérat Dirham

Official Language: Mahibadhian

Demographics: Mahibadhian (96%), Other (4%)

Religion: Sunni Islam (100%) - Sunni Islam is the only legally permitted religion in the Mahibadhoos.

Internet TLD: .mb

Total Population: 320,000

Life expectancy: Men - 61, Women - 63

Literacy rate: 96%

Climate

The Mahibadhoos have a tropical climate with weather that is warm year-round. The year can be divided into a dry season (winter) and rainy season (summer). The low-lying Mahibadhoos are at risk from rising sea-levels, although the evidence around rising sea-levels is still disputed by some scientists. The highest point in the Mahibadhoos is just 2.4 meters above sea-level.

Politics

The Mahibadhoos is a functioning democracy although there has been a history of coups and popular protests forcing the resignation of Presidents. The most recent was only this year when growing resentment of corruption and poor living conditions lead to weeks of protests around the country.

At first we will be visiting some of the resort islands that have made the Mahibadhoos so popular with tourists really wanting to get away from everyday life. A preview of what is to come.

mahibadhoos_banner_2.jpg

405-maldives.jpg

elavery

lagouira_banner_2.jpg

Replies

111222333444: Thanks! Glad you liked it.

ggamgus: Thanks!

Simul8ter8: Thanks for the duck!

TowerDude: Lagouira really does need a bigger airport as the city was much smaller when this airport was originally built.

IL.: I wouldn't want to live by the airport either.

terring: I don't know much about Corfu airport.

TekindusT: This is indeed inspired by marsh. Maybe you will see Dhahran next, maybe not.

sucram17: Thanks!

Evillions: If this looks similar to marsh's work I am obviously doing something right. Maybe Mahibadhoos will be next.

Evandad: Thanks!

10000000000000: If Dhahran is even as half-as-good as Atlantsia I will be happy.

b22rian: I still feel like a rookie at building airports.

Today is the final visit to Lagouira so I thought I would leave you with a few pictures. The next update will reveal what country we are visiting next in the Zou�rat Islamic Federation. The tropical Mahibadhoos, or the Emirate of Dhahran.

lagouira_mosaic_4.jpg

lagouira_image_32.jpg

lagouira_mosaic_5.jpg

Help Keep Simtropolis Online, Open & Free!

stexcollection-header.png

Would you be able to help us catch up after a bit of a shortfall?

We had a small shortfall last month. Your donation today would help us catch up for this month.

Make a Donation, Get a Gift!

We need to continue to raise enough money each month to pay for expenses which includes hardware, bandwidth, software licenses, support licenses and other necessary 3rd party costs.

By way of a "Thank You" gift, we'd like to send you our STEX Collector's DVD. It's some of the best buildings, lots, maps and mods collected for you over the years. Check out the STEX Collections for more info.

Each donation helps keep Simtropolis online, open and free!

Thank you for reading and enjoy the site!

More About STEX Collections