15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello,

Yesterday, I've tried an internet cafe near me. Every PC has Steam client and the USB can be plugged. In my knowledge, Steam games can be made offline and their offline data is available. I'll leave that later. Which game should I buy up to around $20, Cities: Skylines or SimCity 4? I've missed the promo few days ago. Are there any another giveaways/promos on them? Also, if I made the game offline, can I copy the files to my USB drive? So, I don't have to download the game again, only the validation. No, I'm not supporting any kind of gray/black distribution of the game. It's only for personal use and for 1 PC (though is moving).

Thanks.

Hiya,

I have a feeling the answer for which game to buy will really depend on each person's own personal preference. I'd say SC4, ofc. Other peeps would say CSL. We certainly don't want this to turn into a debate about which is better. *;)

Since this topic isn't about the Simtropolis site I feel it'd be better off moved to another forum (which is easy for us to do). The question is: Where would be a better place for it? If moved to the SC4 section then the answers would prolly favor that game. If moved to CSL then they'd recommend it. I would like to put it somewhere that it's more likely to be seen.

As far as using an internet cafe and having the game on a USB drive, I've no clue at all how (or even if) that would work. Aren't those places more geared to internet browsing and not towards games?

• Original Poster
  • 59 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

Hiya,

I have a feeling the answer for which game to buy will really depend on each person's own personal preference. I'd say SC4, ofc. Other peeps would say CSL. We certainly don't want this to turn into a debate about which is better. *;)

Since this topic isn't about the Simtropolis site I feel it'd be better off moved to another forum (which is easy for us to do). The question is: Where would be a better place for it? If moved to the SC4 section then the answers would prolly favor that game. If moved to CSL then they'd recommend it. I would like to put it somewhere that it's more likely to be seen.

As far as using an internet cafe and having the game on a USB drive, I've no clue at all how (or even if) that would work. Aren't those places more geared to internet browsing and not towards games?

1. Personally, I want C:S but my money doesn't allow that and some DLCs (I think C:S isn't fun without them).
    2. On 6/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, chfzdn said:

Luckily, there is a Geforce iCafe-certified internet cafe near me (according to Nvidia, the participant cafes must have 9xx or 10xx GTX-series cards and 50 or more GTX 1060s or higher; enough for C:S)...

So, the cafe I chose is gaming-oriented, as you can see in the Review section of the place on Google Maps. Yesterday, I chose PC #14 and that PC is using GTX 1050. The internet is way faster than my internet, around 4 Mbps. It should be enough to download C:S for 2 or 3 hours and play it. While I didn't test the PC using a Blender demo due to the time limit, rendering the default cube along some adjustment with lighting with Blender Cycles is smoother than my PC.

I hope this can clarify. Thanks.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

With that being the case, I'd say it narrows your choices down to SC4. *;)

OK, let's talk about SC4. Where is the place I can learn to use the NAM, especially with their quirky behavior (IMHO)? Can the NAM match the flexibility of C:S network?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, chfzdn said:

Where is the place I can learn to use the NAM

I'd prolly start by reading all the threads in the NAM & Transit Networks forum. Look for any post by @rsc204 and click the linkys in his signature. Those go to video tutorials for NAM.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

I'd prolly start by reading all the threads in the NAM & Transit Networks forum. Look for any post by @rsc204 and click the linkys in his signature. Those go to video tutorials for NAM.

Thanks. But for now, I will waiting another masters to give their opinions and solutions.

4 minutes ago, chfzdn said:

I will waiting another masters to give their opinions and solutions.

Good plan as NAM isn't my area of expertise.

In the meantime it looks like your questions will really be more about SC4 so I'm going to move this to General Discussion there and change the title of the thread to be more generic.

Reference installing SC4 on an external drive and trying to run it on another computer:  I know that SC4 creates some registry entries on the computer on which it is installed.  I don't know what effect those registry entries actually have on whether the game works properly.  All I can suggest is give it a try.  Either the game will work, or it won't.  I don't know about either SC4 or C:S and Steam, but think the best place to ask would be directly on the Steam forums.

Reference which to buy, SC4 or C:S:  As @CorinaMarie mentioned, it really comes down to what you want to be able to do.  There is no "Which is better?"  The question is really which one you think you will like more.  They each excel at certain things, and they each have their limitations.  But these are two totally different games (despite the fact that they are both city-building simulations).  They are based on two completely different simulation engines.  You really can't directly compare them and say "This one is better!"  Any answer you get to that question will be purely subjective, i.e. any answer anyone gives you will be their personal opinion based on what they like/don't like.  It's essentially like asking "Which is better, Call of Duty or KillZone?"  They are both FPS games, but essentially two completely different genres

If it comes down to cost (especially since you've stated that you don't want C:S without the add-ons), SC4 is going to be the answer, even when it's not on sale.  You have to consider the prices for each game when they are on sale.  Even though you missed the most recent sale of SC4, it will be back.  Just wait until it swings around again.  Usually if someone notices it's on sale someplace, they post it here to let everyone know.  You yourself posted about the most recent sale at Steam.  SC4 goes on sale at GOG every month or two. 

Reference NAM:  There is unfortunately no one place to go to learn everything there is to know about NAM.  The best place to start is to read the documentation.  It is now online over at SC4D:  http://sc4devotion.com/namdoc.  The documentation gives a good overview of everything included with the NAM and an idea of how some of it works.  The problem is that NAM has grown so large and complicated, it has proven impossible for the NAM team to create any sort of comprehensive guide that explains everything. The next best places are the forum Cori mentioned, or the similar one over at SC4D:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=90.0.  There are also many, many useful tidbits of NAM knowledge all over the forums, both here and over at SC4D. 

So the bottom line is to start reading, start experimenting as you read, watch the YouTube tutorials that are available (understanding that these tutorials are usually very pointed, i.e. how to join various NAM networks together, or how to create various types of intersections or highway interchanges, etc.), and ask questions when you get stumped.  Any general questions along the lines of "How do I use the NAM?" will probably result in an answer similar to the one Cori and I have given you, i.e. "Start reading!"  It's not that people won't want to help.  It's more that people won't want to write a book for you (and that's what it would literally take to answer "How do I use the NAM?"), when the information already exists elsewhere.

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, twalsh102 said:

Reference installing SC4 on an external drive and trying to run it on another computer:  I know that SC4 creates some registry entries on the computer on which it is installed.  I don't know what effect those registry entries actually have on whether the game works properly.  All I can suggest is give it a try.  Either the game will work, or it won't.  I don't know about either SC4 or C:S and Steam, but think the best place to ask would be directly on the Steam forums.

Reference which to buy, SC4 or C:S:  As @CorinaMarie mentioned, it really comes down to what you want to be able to do.  There is no "Which is better?"  The question is really which one you think you will like more.  They each excel at certain things, and they each have their limitations.  But these are two totally different games (despite the fact that they are both city-building simulations).  They are based on two completely different simulation engines.  You really can't directly compare them and say "This one is better!"  Any answer you get to that question will be purely subjective, i.e. any answer anyone gives you will be their personal opinion based on what they like/don't like.  It's essentially like asking "Which is better, Call of Duty or KillZone?"  They are both FPS games, but essentially two completely different genres

If it comes down to cost (especially since you've stated that you don't want C:S without the add-ons), SC4 is going to be the answer, even when it's not on sale.  You have to consider the prices for each game when they are on sale.  Even though you missed the most recent sale of SC4, it will be back.  Just wait until it swings around again.  Usually if someone notices it's on sale someplace, they post it here to let everyone know.  You yourself posted about the most recent sale at Steam.  SC4 goes on sale at GOG every month or two. 

Reference NAM:  There is unfortunately no one place to go to learn everything there is to know about NAM.  The best place to start is to read the documentation.  It is now online over at SC4D:  http://sc4devotion.com/namdoc.  The documentation gives a good overview of everything included with the NAM and an idea of how some of it works.  The problem is that NAM has grown so large and complicated, it has proven impossible for the NAM team to create any sort of comprehensive guide that explains everything. The next best places are the forum Cori mentioned, or the similar one over at SC4D:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=90.0.  There are also many, many useful tidbits of NAM knowledge all over the forums, both here and over at SC4D. 

So the bottom line is to start reading, start experimenting as you read, watch the YouTube tutorials that are available (understanding that these tutorials are usually very pointed, i.e. how to join various NAM networks together, or how to create various types of intersections or highway interchanges, etc.), and ask questions when you get stumped.  Any general questions along the lines of "How do I use the NAM?" will probably result in an answer similar to the one Cori and I have given you, i.e. "Start reading!"  It's not that people won't want to help.  It's more that people won't want to write a book for you (and that's what it would literally take to answer "How do I use the NAM?"), when the information already exists elsewhere.

1. I have not buying Steam games yet. So, advice is helpful.
    2. I like c:s because it's flexible, modern, fun and simple.
    3. Thanks for info.

C:S goes on sale pretty regularly for about $7.50 USD for the base game, and if we're being honest, the base game should always be experienced first before you start dropping money on DLC so that you know what you want out of your game first. It may be that the DLC adds nothing except extra cost even if others find it indispensable. The NAM is a vital mod, but not everyone wants or needs or will use most of its features, so for some the only necessary part is the traffic simulator, which has no cosmetic impact on the game and in fact can safely hide away in the corner as though it never existed, if that's what you want.

The same goes for C:S DLC, so if you were to buy the game I would first invest considerable time in learning the basics before diving headfirst into DLC. You have to learn how to walk before you can run, and crawling comes before that. Don't swamp yourself in either game or you might find yourself overwhelmed and lose interest as the game becomes a chore rather than a joy to play.

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, APSMS said:

C:S goes on sale pretty regularly for about $7.50 USD for the base game, and if we're being honest, the base game should always be experienced first before you start dropping money on DLC so that you know what you want out of your game first. It may be that the DLC adds nothing except extra cost even if others find it indispensable. The NAM is a vital mod, but not everyone wants or needs or will use most of its features, so for some the only necessary part is the traffic simulator, which has no cosmetic impact on the game and in fact can safely hide away in the corner as though it never existed, if that's what you want.

The same goes for C:S DLC, so if you were to buy the game I would first invest considerable time in learning the basics before diving headfirst into DLC. You have to learn how to walk before you can run, and crawling comes before that. Don't swamp yourself in either game or you might find yourself overwhelmed and lose interest as the game becomes a chore rather than a joy to play.

When there's sale again (ofc on Steam)? Other seasonal sale?

Thanks.

On 8-7-2018 at 10:34 AM, chfzdn said:

I have not buying Steam games yet. So, advice is helpful.

Youtube. At least, that is was I suggest. Watch some SC and CS video's. In my opinion these are two different games and watching some videos can show you this. Second suggestion: pencil and paper: A plus at one side and a minus on the other. Just note why you think yes or no and in the end, start counting the yes.

• Original Poster
  • On 7/11/2018 at 12:10 AM, Duco said:

Youtube. At least, that is was I suggest. Watch some SC and CS video's. In my opinion these are two different games and watching some videos can show you this. Second suggestion: pencil and paper: A plus at one side and a minus on the other. Just note why you think yes or no and in the end, start counting the yes.

Cities: Skylines
    Pros: flexible networking, lots of quality mods, good DLCs
    Cons: traffic issues (especially if the city is car-based, fortunately, I'll build mass-transit-based cities), high priced, doesn't support Intel HD (though, I can play it on my favorite internet cafe, as long as the offline files can be copied to flash drive).

SimCity 4
    Pros: reliable when the population is very high, nostalgia, lots of mods, low priced, support Intel HD
    Cons: hard to install mods (the idea of the future mod distribution is basically dead), few of game-changing mods, no DLCs

Because my playing style is based on flexibility and completeness, I will choose C:S instead of SC4. But a problem remains, high priced. I can only buy the Starter Bundle right now, and my money is somewhat less than the bundle (around $18). I'm not talking about gray/black ways to get it. 

Thanks.

@chfzdnThe first time I played CS I thought: wow, click on a dependency and I’ve got it, drag a road and it’s there, viaduct without puzzle pieces (that only fit in a specific order), follow people from home to work. Rotate in 360 degrees. Yes, it is truly a beautifull game!

But I rather play SC4, and this is maybe silly to say, but I miss the effort and visually I like SC4 more, in the same way I rather watch cartoons then that I watch annimations. But I’m old fashioned  *:)

And that other thing. When I get a brown box, sometimes I have to search. Because I have to search, by accident I see other stuff (don’t worry about a dying game, there is so much)

The change this would happen with CS is rare, because I click and I’ve got it. I notice more joy when I find something that I didn't expect, maybe that's it

For me is not only playing the game, the game.  The game is looking for stuff, searching dependecies, finding things by accident (sometimes a complete website) putting everything in order and yes, starting up.

Just want to tell you this. For me is the world of SC4 ‘different’.

But hey, don’t get me wrong. CS has got beautifull textures for road by example. You can make very nice dirt and industrial roads with it. Click on a road and change the angle. Click on a tree and drag it a little tot he left. It is possible. 

Just want you to tell the difference for me, that’s all. Have fun with what you will buy. You can’t fail.