CorinaMarie

RedNotebook SC4 Linkys Idea

56 posts in this topic Last Reply

I found the free Journal Keeping program called RedNotebook and I have this idea I could use it to organize references to SC4 content online.

596231d8abaed_01_01RN.jpg.c113f12045ee6606119aa4b0c9968ce8.jpg

I've hidden the right-side Tags Pane since it seems useless and I've turned off the Word Cloud since it's just a cluttered mess.

596231d970714_02_02RN.jpg.dade40bee5044ef1b13ee29cffd6ea17.jpg

Then I randomly picked Jan 01, 2000 to create an Index to the Tags I'll use. (This is all fleshing out the idea atm.)

596231da243f0_03_03RN.jpg.f4d738cb3eaa547cb98e64b5baf2df4a.jpg

I've tagged some entries with #SC4_Mapping so when I search for that I get a list of just those entries in the left-hand pane.

596231dad6cd2_04_04RN.jpg.a0e570a53f9ef1e4103250ca19164a60.jpg

Here I'm searching for a word within a tag.

596231dbe7236_05_05RN.jpg.a2363accc743d77387aeebab2642a25c.jpg

And here's this entry in Edit Mode as I'm creating it.  Notice each of the picture linkys are on the web itself.  This lets me see they are still there with viable links. I paste the same linky twice then edit the top one to display as an image within RN (RedNotebook). The 2nd link is so I can either click it to open a browser tab with it or copy and paste it to someone in chat.

596231dcaecab_06_06RN.jpg.04302cb1f657fbe5d82cd4b92d1a09f9.jpg

So far the only bug I've found is that this silly program does not understand multiple carriage returns for spacing things out. So, I use a dot and that works ok.

Anyhow, when I first started adding linkys to the mapping tools I put them on the date of their upload or last modified date. Since I feel this could work as a nice searchable index to all the SC4 tools I'm wondering if I ought to just arbitrarily pick years starting from 1900 (the oldest it will allow) and just say 1901 is for map stuff. 1902 for lot stuff and so on.

Any thoughts on this? (I've attached my RN data files to this post in case someone wants to test drive the concept.)

data.zip

I think you're on to something here.  I'm using the portable version, added in your data folder and followed your settings.   Its a basic, easy to use,  uncluttered white space with text, links and pics.  Its organized by date as its intended for use as a journal or diary, and its open source so no entanglements.  What we are using this program for is cataloguing, the date basis to organization is useful, but I'd like to be able to see it as a catalogue rather than a journal. 

You made an entry titled 'All My Tags' which would serve as a searchable index to all the items in the catalogue.   I'm going to look for an open source program that is more precise for use as a catalogue, but if I can't find one, this will have to do.   We can exchange catalogues very easy as you've done as its ASCII format.   Ideally, we can use this program to generate HTML which can then be transferred to live pages on ST.

• Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I think you're on to something here.

Yeah, me too! *:)

2 minutes ago, RandyE said:

I'm going to look for an open source program that is more precise for use as a catalogue, ...

That'd be great. The key points this has that I want are that I can embed the thread URL and have it clickable, have embedded linkys to online images that resolve into pics on screen, and have the super fast text search like this has.

I'll personally put in a section of all my Oddities Pics and Farm Pics and such. With them being consecutive entries I can just use the Back and Forward buttons to quickly find which one I want to show in chat. And, for helping peeps out I'll have a section for the fixes I put in my little SC4 startup tutorial. And then I want linkys to every SC4 tool there is like iLive's Readers and PIM-X and the like. Basically, I feel once set up this could provide near instant access to all the good stuff for helping peeps who ask questions.

Then, ofc, separate sections just like one would organize their plugins folder with links to all the lots and bats and mods and such.

8 minutes ago, RandyE said:

We can exchange catalogues very easy as you've done as its ASCII format.

If the idea catches on, it could be the repository for anyone who wanted a copy of the data set. The main part will be deciding how to organize it. Perhaps whatever Catalogue program you find will be even better.

Let me know!

4 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Perhaps whatever Catalogue program you find will be even better.

I spent about equal time as you searching, and I couldn't even find anything close to come back with, so Rednotebook is the one, and I'm starting to like this program for all that it offers in a simple interface.  The date organization doesn't seem a problem now either as the tags are more important.  There doesn't need to be a standard for using the calendar unless more people are working on the same catalogue.   So I'm going to first use the program to make a personal catalogue as well.   The html export seems to me to be what may be transferred to use on site, and if BBCode is preferred there is likely a converter for that.   Basically, its all about tags, text, pics, and links and being able to flip through pages.   (Says it will also export to PDF)   

Great work! *:8)

I also very much like the concept of a catalogue type index. For sure it would be a very useful companion to quickly locate content and info. The biggest challenge is always finding what you need in a clear and efficient format (I'm looking at you ST Search). It's also nice to have something which can be accessed locally, so isn't at risk of being modified by a rogue site update, like many Omnibus articles were previously. This also helps a lot with the searching capability.

In a way it reminds me of a tool called Everything which I use for searching local files. This creates an index of files on your PC, and then allows instant queries using text or a range of filters. I've found it's very useful and beats the Windows search hands down. So similarly, this journal could be equally powerful with collecting SC4 info.

Since it sounds easy to export, I suppose the data file could eventually be uploaded to the STEX. Then anyone could download and setup a local copy of their own using the program. I can see how this would be useful in chat, or to help anyone looking for a specific item or tutorial.

Each page doesn't necessarily have to be detailed either, since this works as a central hub. Along with tags, maybe some keywords could also be added at the bottom? Following the links would then provide more information.

6 hours ago, RandyE said:

I spent about equal time as you searching, and I couldn't even find anything close to come back with, so Rednotebook is the one, and I'm starting to like this program for all that it offers in a simple interface.

Nothing immediately comes to mind either with an alternative program. At least this is simple and (relatively) lightweight enough to do the job, and also cross-compatible on Windows, Mac and Linux. It also seems to be still under development with the latest update in Feb. Albeit this is at a slow rate, but at least the project hasn't been abandoned entirely, so there is possible room for small improvements.

12 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Since I feel this could work as a nice searchable index to all the SC4 tools I'm wondering if I ought to just arbitrarily pick years starting from 1900 (the oldest it will allow) and just say 1901 is for map stuff. 1902 for lot stuff and so on.

Sure that could work. As long as it wouldn't take too long returning back to the early 20th century! *:P

I'll have to try the program out first and establish some of the limitations, but I'm guessing there's a quick way of jumping to a specific year? Although if not, I suppose the tags can easily solve that problem.

Overall I think this does have lots of potential. I'm also fairly certain this would be a first, and can't recall anything similar being done with SC4.

I like where your going with this, I often struggle to find things on the site. Just thought I would throw Tomboy out there as a possibility. I have been using it for a few months now, to organize all my notes and howto's. I like it because of the ease of use and light weight. It also allows me to synchronise all the content across all my desktops. It has automatic crosslinking, can export to html, Latex, Latex to PDF and more. Will work on Linux, osx and windows.

• Original Poster
  • 2 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Just thought I would throw Tomboy out there as a possibility.

Well, I asked Google about that and got this:

tom·boy
    ˈtämˌboi/
    noun
    noun: tomboy; plural noun: tomboys
    1. a girl who enjoys rough, noisy activities traditionally associated with boys.

*:lol:

Do you have a linky to it? Is it freeware? Open source? Tell me more. The RN program is not set in stone as the one to use atm. I'm still in the very beginning of this one looks cool enough to do it, but if there is something better, I'd rather get the best tool before spending a bunch of time entering data.

• Original Poster
  • That definitely looks useful. However, I checked the Features page and the Add-Ins page and I don't see an option for a webpage image link to auto resolve itself into a local, on screen picture like RN does. Am I missing that? Is it part of the drag and drop bit?

13 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Along with tags, maybe some keywords could also be added at the bottom?

Using just the text search, tags can be used like keywords, the keywords don't need to be in the title or text of the page.  Like on ST, if I upload a file I can associate any keyword I want with the file.   I could keyword my power plants as amusement parks --not far from the truth. 

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

I just did a little checking and it does not look like images is a feature. Oh well. >:(

I looked at the Tomboy note-taking software too, and it looks good for text, but we need the images, pages that are like HTML.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is interesting, @CorinaMarie, you turned off the Tags pane to the right and started making hashtags.  I'm ignoring hashtags and building a catalogue using keyword/tags.

I'm ignoring the calendar entirely.  I can associate any 'tag' with a page.  Eg. Your SC4 Mapper page will come up based on the keyword 'Map', but I added  the tag 'ST' so I can search for it using 'ST',  that is, not a keyword found in the title or text of the page itself.

I think Tagging pages is where this program can be of use as a catalogue.  The url structure of ST can be used to build a table of contents, so a tag for Corimaps would be:

ST forums topic corimaps

To find the exact page, one would have to learn to speak the left to right linear grammar of ST url structure.     That's where I'm at so far with it.

• Original Poster
  • 10 hours ago, RandyE said:

I'm ignoring hashtags and building a catalogue using keyword/tags.

When I get more time to play with RN I need to learn more about the Tags pane.

See, I tried adding stuff there and I presumed I'd have a hierarchical tree like shown on the RN website picture with categories and that it would stay up there no matter what date page I was on. It didn't. So, after only a couple of my test entries I turned it off. *:blush: The included Help page is a wee bit lacking in my opinion with regard to tags. I did search on their site thru some of the questions and found that the Category option used to be over there and it was removed.

Your discovery is the great part I love about a team effort for something like this. Further details to walk me thru it, or simply a copy of your data for me to see it in action would be ideal.

10 hours ago, RandyE said:

To find the exact page, one would have to learn to speak the left to right linear grammar of ST url structure.

About jumping to a specific date in RN, I wondered about adding a #YYYYMMDD to each entry. So, AllMyTags page in its current location would have #20000101 and @Birdin's Config.Bmp page would have #20110330 and so on. I'm uncertain if having date tags would be of much use tho. It would be nice to have internal links to journal pages for a See Also list at the bottom of entries as cross references.

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

See, I tried adding stuff there and I presumed I'd have a hierarchical tree like shown on the RN website picture with categories and that it would stay up there no matter what date page I was on. It didn't.

The Tags in the right pane will disappear if you navigate to another entry, it only shows the tags for that entry.  See that's where we lose the catalogue function with a hierarchy of topics to look at and select from.  A catalogue is supposed to be easy to flip through and find what you're looking for.  This program will only give us a search box to type keywords/tags into and see what comes up. 

Further details to walk me thru it, or simply a copy of your data for me to see it in action would be ideal.

So far I've only been connecting-the-dots, haven't built anything with it yet.  Before I do I have another idea I'll explain below.

It would be nice to have internal links to journal pages for a See Also list at the bottom of entries as cross references.

Right, and I think that's more what CB mean't too, having keywords at the bottom, internal linking that would be somewhat more like a catalogue, flipping through associated pages.   To use the dates as code for the pages we would then need to build yet another index to interpret the codes.

After messing around with RN I asked myself why all the trouble when basic HTML is easier to make a catalogue.  A search engine can be easily added with already coded Javascript.

Remember when I tried to persuade you before to code in HTML?  Well, I found Front Page Express on Sourceforge, and I know you like the good ole Win XP platform.   You might find it easy to make the same basic pages with pics, text, and links in HTML 3.0.   I also have a magic program called DirHTML that will easily assemble the pages into an index that is effectively a catalogue.

Hmmm lets see if my ploy works this time.. heh, heh..  Here's the linky to FPE -->  https://sourceforge.net/projects/frontpageexpres/?source=directory  <--- There's it is there... 

Don't forget to see the above ^ link.

• Original Poster
  • 8 hours ago, RandyE said:

Don't forget to see the above ^ link.

Ok. I downloaded it.

8 hours ago, RandyE said:

You might find it easy to make the same basic pages with pics, text, and links in HTML 3.0.   I also have a magic program called DirHTML that will easily assemble the pages into an index that is effectively a catalogue.

So, I could create individual pages in Front Page Express and then use DirHTML to have forward and back buttons to quickly chose what I want by the displayed pictures? That's another important part to me. In some chat sessions we are discussing things we have created. The way RN works it'll allow me to easily flip thru my online pics and grab the URL I need in just a few seconds. Same for the various tools like DataNode and such.

8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Ok. I downloaded it.

The beauty of it is that the web browser you're already using becomes the interface, the frame and functionality of the catalogue, so its the same as browsing online.   DirHTML isn't absolutely necessary, its just a quick way of hypertext indexing everything in a folder hierarchy.

The structure of the catalogue is the same folder/file structure you already use.   HTML can embed anything on your hard drive or online, so you can immediately compare and see if your pics are downloading from the server properly.   Another good thing is there is no hidden or unknown code, so its even cleaner than using open source programs. 

The installer from Sourceforge will register FPE in your registry and put an icon on the desktop.  To see the barebones HTML file it creates save the default 'normal.htm' as a file on your desktop and then open it with notepad.   Then click on the file and you will see a blank HTML page in your default web browser.

I'll make a basic catalogue example today and then edit in an attachment of the folder here.

EDIT:

@CorinaMarie Below is a folder with about the same structure as you had in RedNotebook.   So you can have a look and decide if this works for you.  

CorinaMarie SC4 Maps.zip

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, RandyE said:

@CorinaMarie Below is a folder with about the same structure as you had in RedNotebook.   So you can have a look and decide if this works for you.  

Ok, this part of your instructions: " Open the main index page in your browser and you can click to the other pages and use the back and forward buttons in your browser to flip through the catalogue. "

I opened the Index and yes, I can click a link to one of the sub pages, but to get to the next one I have to first click the back button then click a new link. What I like about RN is that I can simply keep clicking forward or back to see the entries.

Apparently I'm completely missing how FPE created pages are to be easier. *:blush:

Posted (edited)
    10 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I opened the Index and yes, I can click a link to one of the sub pages, but to get to the next one I have to first click the back button then click a new link.

Of course I was prepared for this.  When you first design the structure of the catalogue you have a set of folders with blank index.htrml files.  I didn't make a menu bar cause I was chancing that you'd be overwhelmed with the huge uncluttered white space to work with, so now I have to add a menu bar at the top or left and then give you an update demo to try where you don't have to back-step... you can click forward and on and on.   Its very much like using a web site that you are used to.  I'll build a template and try again and edit in another demo in this reply... and hopefully succeed cause that calendar thingy in RN is gonna drive me crazy.     

EDIT:

@CorinaMarie  Okay here's a new demo with a menu bar at the top and bottom of each page.  I added a section called Map Team for those of us who actively follow your Map thread.    Actually after using FPE again, it does have some irritating behaviors of re-structuring the code, but there are other open source WYSIWYG editors.

CorinaMarie SC4 Maps V2.zip

Edited by RandyE  

The Plot Continues...

• Original Poster
  • 10 hours ago, RandyE said:

EDIT:

@CorinaMarie  Okay here's a new demo with a menu bar at the top and bottom of each page.  I added a section called Map Team for those of us who actively follow your Map thread.    Actually after using FPE again, it does have some irritating behaviors of re-structuring the code, but there are other open source WYSIWYG editors.

Ok, I just grabbed the new version. I must be pretty dense cause it seems you have to create a menu item for each page. With 100s of entries wouldn't that get extremely cluttered? It seems like it'll be a lot more work. And if I type something into the search field my browser goes out on the web looking for my request. I'm not opposed to learning new things, but this seems like an uphill battle for a less useful result. :boggle:

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into this. What am I missing? :uhm:

11 hours ago, RandyE said:

I've been pretty happy with Bluefish as a WYSIWYG editor.  I think they all insert some crap, but my experience with Bluefish is those can be cleaned up with a typical text editor once you're all finished with how you want it.  (If I recall, there was only one kind of artefact to remove)

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

I must be pretty dense cause it seems you have to create a menu item for each page. With 100s of entries wouldn't that get extremely cluttered?

Yes, its a matter of easy and fast creation of the structure, rapidly adding linked pages without much effort.  The menu is intended as a heiarchical beginning like sections of a website that lead into subsections, etc. 

The menu can be easily cut and pasted into a new page or already present in a template for a new page.

If not for the problem of FPE automatically forcing a certain structure to the code, I would continue to promote using it. The next step in my sinister plot was to lead you into the index.html page and demo how easy as ASCII texting it is, especially with cut and paste. 

I haven't worked out the search part yet, but there are already coded javascripts that could also be part of the template, but adding keywords could be a bit tedious if not automated.

1 hour ago, RobertLM78 said:

I've been pretty happy with Bluefish as a WYSIWYG editor

For now, I'll gear down and start with Bluefish.  I have seen it before and if I remember correctly its part of the Seamonkey browser suite?  I was also hoping to find an open source program that can be redistributed without entanglements. 

1 hour ago, RandyE said:

For now, I'll gear down and start with Bluefish.  I have seen it before and if I remember correctly its part of the Seamonkey browser suite?  I was also hoping to find an open source program that can be redistributed without entanglements. 

I'm not sure about that... looking at the wikipedia page on it, there's no reference to Seamonkey. 

(Agreed - FLOSS is the way to go)

44 minutes ago, RobertLM78 said:

I'm not sure about that... looking at the wikipedia page on it, there's no reference to Seamonkey. 

(Agreed - FLOSS is the way to go)

FPE would have been good because the programmers are all probably rich now anyway and MS has long since abandoned it and gave it up to be freely re-distributed.

I went and looked at Bluefish again, didn't install it cause it would require an advisement to create a restore point prior to install.  I must have it confused with another open source browser that includes an HTML editor.  

Bluefish is kind of heavyweight, a lot of stuff in it that is beyond just making simple HTML 3.2 to 4.01 Transitional without much CSS or javascript.  It has a previewer, but doesn't seem the same as a true visual editor where you don't even have to know the code.

So I'm on Sourceforge going through the HTML editors.  So far have 2 candidates to install.

https://sourceforge.net/directory/os%3Awindows/?q=WYSIWYG+HTML+editor&page=1

1 hour ago, RandyE said:

FPE would have been good because the programmers are all probably rich now anyway and MS has long since abandoned it and gave it up to be freely re-distributed.

I went and looked at Bluefish again, didn't install it cause it would require an advisement to create a restore point prior to install.  I must have it confused with another open source browser that includes an HTML editor.  

Bluefish is kind of heavyweight, a lot of stuff in it that is beyond just making simple HTML 3.2 to 4.01 Transitional without much CSS or javascript.  It has a previewer, but doesn't seem the same as a true visual editor where you don't even have to know the code.

Crazy... never ran it on Windows.  I'd almost forgotten about restore points.  

2 hours ago, RandyE said:

So I'm on Sourceforge going through the HTML editors.  So far have 2 candidates to install.

https://sourceforge.net/directory/os%3Awindows/?q=WYSIWYG+HTML+editor&page=1

Seamonkey is really good too... I nearly forgot about that, if this list doesn't produce something.   (Kompozer is good - but temporarily broken on at least some Debian-based Linux distros)

57 minutes ago, RobertLM78 said:

Crazy... never ran it on Windows.  I'd almost forgotten about restore points.  

Seamonkey is really good too... I nearly forgot about that, if this list doesn't produce something.   (Kompozer is good - but temporarily broken on at least some Debian-based Linux distros)

Kompozer is the closest I can find too, but it still requires a bit of background knowledge and adjustment of settings to tame it down to a straightfoward visual editor.  

I did find the exact design I was looking for in another program with 2 panes side by side, but the code pane could not handle the simplest HTML without the scrollbar bouncing up and down as if a CTD was imminent. 

I went and looked yet again at Bluefish, then realized its not designed especially for Windows, and figured-out you're probably not using a Win OS.   The guys using Windows were complaining of total system crash.

Anyhow, Cori will probably blow our minds with another solution outside the box.  She usually does her homework :) 

• Original Poster
  • 3 hours ago, RandyE said:

Anyhow, Cori will probably blow our minds with another solution outside the box.

Maybe you'd better not get your hopes up.

3 hours ago, RandyE said:

She usually does her homework :)

Well, yes. I feel I already did. I spent prolly 6 hours searching and reading.

So far all this thread has done is to convince me that RN is the way I personally want to go. See, initially I was looking for something as simple as the Windoze Picture Viewer but with the ability to attach a linky.  There are pics I use and post over and over as new peeps pop into chat with questions. RN will allow me to group those on consecutive pages and click thru a couple dozen in mere seconds. The whole reason I'm not happy with my 200ish bookmarks is I have to remember exactly in which nested folder I put something. It seems like no matter how easy your html menus are to create, they are still going to suffer from that.

Now add in that I can already do an instant search in RN, with or without any tags, and I believe this program is good enough. Sure, it's not the absolute perfect solution, but it's quick and easy and already ready. If I need it to do more things I could grab the source code, find out if there is an open source editor/compiler/whatever it takes to go with it and then fix it up how we might want it to be.

41 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Thought this might be worth a look - Zim Wiki

And then out from left field... That's it.  Text, pics, links, exportable, searchable.  I would have resisted it because I looked at another Wiki program and it was too cluttered.  This one has lots of white space to work in.   I downloaded it just because of the sincerity of the statement at the bottom of the page "This website was written in Zim !"   

2 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

If I need it to do more things I could grab the source code, find out if there is an open source editor/compiler/whatever it takes to go with it and then fix it up how we might want it to be.

Its written in Python 2.7.   https://github.com/jendrikseipp/rednotebook   Python 2.7 is an open source language. http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads?gclid=CIrzpc3V7NICFRBxfgod1x8LDA

HTML is about the limit of my effort these days.   I'm finding just trying to organize the code to make a custom query for my lots in SC4 challenging enough.   So much for my sinister plot :) 

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, Handyman said:

Thought this might be worth a look - Zim Wiki

7 minutes ago, RandyE said:

And then out from left field... That's it.

At first glance I believe I'm in agreement. *;)

Does away with the calendar we don't need. (Tho one could have it if wanted.) Seems straight forward easy to create pages. I've downloaded it to test drive later when I have some time. I like how easy dropping in an image is. I presume, tho it wasn't specifically stated anywhere, that I can use linkys to my online pics rather than local files. I'm uncertain if I can click forward and back to go thru consecutive pages or not, but it seems the category tree pane could be used and then just click each successive entry to do the same thing.

Looks promising at this point. *:thumb:

Posted (edited)
    8 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

At first glance I believe I'm in agreement. *;)

Whew.  Thank-goodness cause if we had to crack open Python 2.7 peeps would find out you're better at math than me and my gig would be up!   It would blow my cover as a sinister plotter. *:lol:     I'm going to work with Zim today and hopefully answer some of the remaining questions.   

EDIT:

@CorinaMarie   Everything is there except one thing.  The program will not embed pics from the web in the editor --only from the local computer, but the whole journal can be exported as HTML and the links to the pics can be manually converted to embedded pics for viewing and using the journal in a web browser.

Edited by RandyE  

Additional Info

• Original Poster
  • 9 hours ago, RandyE said:

@CorinaMarie   Everything is there except one thing.  The program will not embed pics from the web in the editor --only from the local computer, but the whole journal can be exported as HTML and the links to the pics can be manually converted to embedded pics for viewing and using the journal in a web browser.

Good timing. I was moments away from clicking reply to say the same thing. (Well, the part about the web pic embedding not working.) I didn't check for exported HTML and then editing. I'm not real keen on a two step process. Most especially if I re-edit an entry, export it, and then have to re-fix the linkys each time.

I did go thru the help, found the docuwiki syntax link was broken, but Googled it and found it here. Scroll down to the part about images and it really seems like it's supposed to work. However, I've tried multiple permutations of [[ and {{ and | and }} and ]] and nothing seems to make it want to show me the pics.

I believe I'm back to RN as the best choice since it already works without any double editing hoops to jump thru.