Sign in to follow this  
JP Schriefer

FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 - Thread

429 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I do have to say I'm kind of afraid of Argentina, or Messi, I should say. Although, if the Netherlands wins from Argentina we're going to have a NL - Germany match. And I don't like to say this but I think Germany would win that...

Well, I see I lost again the whole action on this thread. After the match, which I watched*, I had to do some work for my job... My 2 cents on this match:

- We have just seen a historic match. This will be something that those books about the World Cup will talk about until football ceases its existance.

- I think Brazil knew from the beginning that they would reach the final, and possibly, win it. Nothing is impossible in football. I acutally thought that, until I knew they would have to beat Germany on the way.

- It is not the first time in football (or any sport) in which the semifinal will be more remembered than the final itself. It keeps surprising me that usually it is the semifinal, the match we remember the most of an entire championship.

- Brazil wasn't playing that bad until the second goal. They got the first one, OK, it hurts. Later they got the second and the defense got totally unfocused. They didn't even knew where were they, they couldn't move, remember the man they were on, their position on the field... A total lack of concentration due to a shock, a shock provoked by something they were not expecting. Recieving 2 goals in 20 minutes was something too hard for a Brazilian yesterday.

- Germany is usually nicknamed "the Mannschaft", this is "The Team" (strangely, when talking about a work team, the word used in German is "team"). It is for matches like this. The combination game before each goal was something we didn't see since the FC Barcelona good times.

- While I was doing work stuff, I saw the press conferences of Luiz Gustavo and Julio César. Kudos to them, really. Luiz Gustavo was crying like a child, and Julio César gave a "we will be back" speech that any defeated war general could have given. Those guys went out there and addressed to a whole nation that was still as shocked as them; and they did it as they could. Because they respect their nation and their fans.

And something else...

2010 FIFA World Cup winner --> Spain --> With 7 FC Barcelona players --> Trained by Pep Guardiola

2014 FIFA World Cup (not yet) winner --> Germany --> With 7 Bayern München players --> Trained by Pep Guardiola

Team football isn't made or destroyed. It just transforms.

(*) Saying "I watched" is too much. Actually most of the time I was talking via cell phone with my friends, asking how could that be happening, making jokes, sending memes and listening how my neighbourhood was taken by a horde of fireworks.

Argentina did lose Di Maria, the player who scored the last minute goal in the round of 16. While Argentina's little "one man show" tactics seemed to have worked in their last 5 games, it certainly will not work against Netherlands. Heck, they could use it against Argentina.

Of course, to me, this is Argentina's first "real game" as Argentina were paired up with the tournament's most weakest teams. This match will give a wake up call for Argentina.

That would be two classics - Germany vs. Netherlands and the South American rivals, Argentina vs. Brazil!

However, this match so far was pretty boring to watch. They seem to be neutralizing each other. I hope the second half will be better. Up to now, I see a slight advantage for Argentina, but nothing too serious.

Netherlands... They should have scored before it got to penalties.

And when it came to penalties Vlaar came on instead of Robben first? o.O

Anyway; Germany vs Argentina. That will be interesting...

And God help Brazil in their match against the Netherlands.

Great game, like an intense chess match.  I agree Netherlands had a much better chance in regular play.

Good luck to Argentina.  But I personally am behind Blitzkrieg 2014.   :party:  I would rather my country have lost to a champion.

Shame it had to go to penalties, although it was no great surprise. It was always going to be a closely fought match. In the end, both sides were very strong in defence, with most of the play being a midfield battle.

Louis van Gaal is full of surprises. In hindsight, probably a bad mistake to use all 3 substitutes, meaning Tim Krul wasn't an option for the shootout.

Their main keeper Jasper Cillessen just didn't look up to it, and this stat could well explain why:

_76163203_cillessen.png

We'll still have a good final. It'll be interesting how the Brazilian fans react (especially those with tickets to the final). I think most will much prefer to see Germany win the title now.

The Dutch had a really good run.  I was expecting a little more from them after the brilliant performance against Spain, but they toughed it out. (I'm a big supporter for the Netherlands, but they (Robben) made it a little hard for me to maintain against people who only see it when their opponents dive.  Everyone dives, its just that certain favorites people are allowed to I guess.  I'm against any diving at all, but I'm able to look at the positives the Dutch team had to offer, like their brilliant mid-field and their thuggish confidence. /rant)

Hup Holland Hup!

Jullie waren Fantastisch!

Thanks for your support Bluemoose, I am totally agree with your comment and your thought about the KNVB !!

Hup, Holland Hup!

# Bedankt voor een geweldig toernooi! Wij zijn trots, jullie waren fantastisch !

I see I failed in my prediction. Well, my favorite for the final is Germany, as is the rest of the world probably. I say at least 2-0. 

As for third place, God help Brazil. I think Brazil can put up a good fight as capitan Thiago Silva is coming back, but the Netherlands can still overpower them. I say 2-1 for NL, tough game for Brazil. 

If the match stays largely in favor for the Netherlands, then they can say goodbye to third place and very likely the trust of the Brazilian people. 

I would say not to judge Brazil for this last match. The match for the 3rd place is a complete humilliation and should be removed, as Louis van Gaal proposed. It is a complete loss of time, a way to extend the time the players are with all the team while they could be with their families. It is normal that the motivation is below zero while playing this match. 

I do agree with van Gaal's proposal. I was rather uninterested in this match. As for Brazil, this was merely just another 90 minutes full of humiliation for the hosts. At least they didn't concede more goals.

Well, as all of you would know, many are calling this the worst generation of Brazilian football, having conceded more goals than any other generation, 14 goals this tournament. This is the second third place match Brazil has lost and numerous records were broken on Brazilian soil, records that are unfavorable for them.

Based on this, I think some changes do need to be made, in the starting 11 and just the whole team in general.

Congratulations to the Netherlands to third place and I do wish Louis van Gaal the best of luck with Manchester United (?) or wherever he is going.